Home
News Post

According to a few reports, there are no plans for a sequel to All-Pro Football 2K8 this year.
  • @ GameSpot

Quote:
    "As for last year's franchise debut of All-Pro Football, it apparently didn't make the cut. When asked about the absence of a football game on the company's release schedule, Take-Two execs said it had been taken off the slate, but they were continuing to weigh their options."
  • @ FiringSquad

Quote:
    "There will not be a new football title from 2K Sports this year (the company released the non-NFL licensed All-Pro Football 2K8 in 2007) but Take Two execs stated they are still looking at perhaps releasing a new football game sometime in the future."

Game: All-Pro Football 2K8Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 57 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 spankdatazz22 @ 03/12/08 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows2
Again I've said many times, if you can't do it right don't do it at all.
Of course you do. So what's right - what you say to do? What I say to do? You don't seem to have that same sentiment when it comes to NBA Live, essentially trying to stick a square peg into a round hole just to get it to play something resembling basketball.

It's amazing how little chance this game was given by the so-called hardcore. Outside of NBA2K6, I think all sports games struggled in their first outing next gen. But I guess they were 2Kports then, as you've said. APF in it's first time out made a game that played better than Madden and NCAA, and it's debateable that it plays MUCH better. VC made mistakes with APF, that's certain. But if you're going to criticize, at least do so acknowledging that the game didn't receive the same consideration most games this gen have

# 42 Valdarez @ 03/12/08 06:18 PM
The way the guys are spinning this is horrible. If the gaming sites did a little investigative reporting instead of just posting things in the worst possible light.

If your recall the last quarterly conference call, the executives indicated they were looking at the release dates and the pricing points for the next release of APF. In the GameSpot news item, it simply points out that the APF did not make the October release slate, but that they were still weighing their options. This fits in exactly with what the execs indicated they would do in the previous conference call.

APF2K9 is in development, but a release schedule or date has not been set. From my perspective this is a good thing. When a good gaming company takes more time to work on a game, that's usually to ensure it produces a quality product.

# 43 Behindshadows @ 03/12/08 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
Of course you do. So what's right - what you say to do? What I say to do? You don't seem to have that same sentiment when it comes to NBA Live, essentially trying to stick a square peg into a round hole just to get it to play something resembling basketball.

It's amazing how little chance this game was given by the so-called hardcore. Outside of NBA2K6, I think all sports games struggled in their first outing next gen. But I guess they were 2Kports then, as you've said. APF in it's first time out made a game that played better than Madden and NCAA, and it's debateable that it plays MUCH better. VC made mistakes with APF, that's certain. But if you're going to criticize, at least do so acknowledging that the game didn't receive the same consideration most games this gen have

See I love bias comments like this, just so I can give you answers that are less bias.

1st off, my time I spend customizing one game, has nothing to do with this subject. You can try to throw other games in the mixed, but know your facts 1st. When APF came out, did I not spend months making NFL Jerseys and post codes? YES!!!!

When NBA 2k8 came out didn't spent months doing videos (that weren't appreciated and faded in the forums)? YES!!!

When College Hoops 2k8 came out, didn't I create over 25 videos and post pictures of player edits on a roster? YES!!!

While you focus on me working on an EA product! Know that I supported 2k first and foremost and my efforts were never acknowledged or appreciated. I have 1 or 2 OSer's that even showed interest.

While you knock my efforts on Live I got over 50+ PM's of people who requested vids and sliders and edits, the same with Madness.

APF left me with limits to editing and controlling teams. In those terms it wasn't done right!

I'm sure they spent months removing everything from it, so we couldn't re-create the NFL completely. In those terms it wasn't done right. I'm sure they wanted to give us a customize complete game. But didn't want the lawsuits that followed.

This leads to the facts or should I say sound business opinion. That if they had to limit their ideas to stop from clashing with EA. They'd rather not even bother.

Don't make every thread a EA vs 2k bias place! Just because someone says something towards 2ksports doesn't mean they hate them. Maybe they are just being more realistic.

I've put 18 years of my life into Sega Sports and 2ksports! So don't talk to me like I just love EA sports so I'm trying to make a model out of fat chick when it comes to their games. They might not have the things you look for, but their games are solid in a lot of categories that matter to me, and I give them a chance as well.

Peace!!!

# 44 burnwood @ 03/12/08 08:28 PM
I like the way you think grunt. I'm with ya... ignoring all the naysayers until something happens.

# 45 VCdolphin @ 03/12/08 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
The UFL (or whatever it's called) will be history just as quick as the XFL was. Nobody wants to watch a football league in which Eric Crouch is one of the top draft picks, nor does anybody want to play a game full of NFL wash-outs, has-beens, and never were's. Not to mention that the "league" only has 6 teams if i'm not mistaken. The league has already been postponed due to financial support. I doubt it will even get of the ground. The UFL is the last thing that could possibly save APF. A "Winning Eleven-style" game would've been the much better option, and still would be IMHO if the game were to actually still somehow get the green light. But don't hold your breath.
You seem to have the UFL and the AAFL (All American Football League) confused. The AAFL was supposed to start Spring 08, but is having major money issues. I'd expect it to fold without ever playing a game. They never secured a TV contract either.

Great example of how NOT to start a league.

BTW, the UFL will launch with eight teams (at least) as they understand that a six team league won't be taken seriously (and they want a 14 game schedule).

Hey, I'd be happy with WE style 2K football game, but why would I need to buy it more than once? I can update any rosters myself. A UFL game becomes a yearly sale for 2K Sports if it takes off.

Whatever type of football game 2K releases, I'm willing to buy and play it, but some options are better than others.

# 46 spit_bubble @ 03/13/08 12:21 AM
Take Two doesn't seem all that savvy when it comes to their plan for 2K Football.

Seems they could've stripped down 2K5 into an APF for the PS2 and made some money with such a big user base, and then waited until the newer consoles sold more before putting out a "next gen" version.

Instead they release one version, early on in the new systems' life cycle... And here we are.

# 47 Valdarez @ 03/13/08 09:37 AM
Quote:
The fact that the game is in development means absolutely nothing. It is being kept in development on the offchance it will get the greenlight
lol Really? You honestly think companies invest the $$$ necessary to develop a game in the off chance it will get green lighted for release? That's absurd.

Quote:
Games in development get cancelled all the time. It's a very common occurance.
It's true games do get canceled, but it is not a common occurrence, in fact it is a fairly rare one. Companies weigh the benefits and cost of the project prior to allocating any development resources to it.

Quote:
It's, financially, a losing proposition and one that TT can't afford to throw money at with the problems it's having right now.
This is pure conjecture on your part, you have no proof as to whether the game turned a profit or not. A short development cycle, no $$$ spent on the NFL license, and even at 260k units it could still go either way profit wise.

Quote:
Then there's the fact that Backbreaker, a brand new IP, is getting much more buzz around it than APF2K9 is and that will take even more market share from 2K sports. A goal of an October release was pure idiocy at best, not making it and then releasing even later would be about the dumbest move in the history of sports gaming from a business standpoint. you don't do stuff like that to satisfy a tiny niche portion of the sports gaming community. With Backbreaker in the picture now there likely isn't even enough money left over for APF to even turn a profit.
I don't see a clear release date for BackBreaker yet other than TBA 2008 and that may be why they are waiting to set the date for APF2K9 but that's pure conjecture. Still, I wouldn't want to release APF2K9 at the same time BackBreaker came out. I would let BackBreaker hit the market get reviews, and then go from there. BackBreaker looks interesting from the graphics, but as we all know there's MUCH more to a game than just graphics.

# 48 aenggeorge @ 03/13/08 09:46 AM
it other words they are still working their butts offf on 2k9!

# 49 spankdatazz22 @ 03/13/08 10:19 PM
Quote:
1st off, my time I spend customizing one game, has nothing to do with this subject. You can try to throw other games in the mixed, but know your facts 1st. When APF came out, did I not spend months making NFL Jerseys and post codes? YES!!!!
Actually, MY point was directed somewhat towards your willingness to customize/put up with certain games' deficiencies. That was the only reason I brought up NBA Live, not because of some 2K/EA thing. We've discussed it in the past - to me, you seem to favor looks over gameplay - if a game looks good enough you'll workaround/accept gameplay holes. While actively campaigning for new engines for the games you feel are lacking visually. Just saying that's the way it seems to me. That's the reason I brought up Live, or your "2Kports" sig back when the 2K6's were out (I think it was then).

Quote:
When NBA 2k8 came out didn't spent months doing videos (that weren't appreciated and faded in the forums)? YES!!!

When College Hoops 2k8 came out, didn't I create over 25 videos and post pictures of player edits on a roster? YES!!!

While you focus on me working on an EA product! Know that I supported 2k first and foremost and my efforts were never acknowledged or appreciated. I have 1 or 2 OSer's that even showed interest.

While you knock my efforts on Live I got over 50+ PM's of people who requested vids and sliders and edits, the same with Madness.

APF left me with limits to editing and controlling teams. In those terms it wasn't done right!
I don't recall seeing any of your All Pro vids - not like you need to have them to prove anything anyway. I was going more off our debate not too long ago where you said:

Quote:
Has nothing to do with that, I'm extremely frustrated with football and basketball game, and the directions they are going in. I'm losing my interest. I've played basketball for 15 years and football for 3 and its amazing I'm losing my interest in these games. Especially when these are the two sports I love the most.

But to dispute whether or not, $20 made a difference in the NFL decision. I could care less anymore. I think we are all getting hosed on the whole deal. And its finally sinking in, on how much it sucks.

Why debate over something, that isn't putting money in my pocket? So whats the point!

I'm done! Have fun! It just really doesn't change the situation at hand. And APF 2k8 sucks point blank. I remember when it came out I was so happy, I spent weeks, editing my jerseys and teams, creating players. I was happy 2k is back! Then the limitations started killing that buzz, no franchise, just single season, not able to play with other teams. Repeat players on both teams, it was horrible. And then the wow! factor rubbed off and all that made it great, was overshadowed by what was wrong with it!

If there is a 2k9 and it flops too. Then I will hate 2ksports for making efforts at it, while cancelling college hoops. It wouldn't make sense.
It's understandable to be frustrated w/next gen. But we did get the best pro and college basketball games to date this generation w/the 2K games, and they've done nothing but improve. But you're disappointed. Football sucks because of exclusivity. Madden/NCAA/APF are what they are. But imo they shouldn't be judged the same. Madden/NCAA have pretty much everything going for them, have been in development for several years, and are what they are. APF lacks the licenses and it was it's first year. Yes, it would've been nice if the game didn't have the limitations it has, or that 2K knocked a homerun their first time out. But they shouldn't have had to - especially given the limitations they were forced to work within (trying something new/1st time out, 1st year of the title, etc.).

Even with all that they still made arguably the best playing football game to date. Something that seems to matter little to some. That's what I was arguing.

Quote:
I'm sure they spent months removing everything from it, so we couldn't re-create the NFL completely. In those terms it wasn't done right. I'm sure they wanted to give us a customize complete game. But didn't want the lawsuits that followed.

This leads to the facts or should I say sound business opinion. That if they had to limit their ideas to stop from clashing with EA. They'd rather not even bother.

Don't make every thread a EA vs 2k bias place! Just because someone says something towards 2ksports doesn't mean they hate them. Maybe they are just being more realistic.

I've put 18 years of my life into Sega Sports and 2ksports! So don't talk to me like I just love EA sports so I'm trying to make a model out of fat chick when it comes to their games. They might not have the things you look for, but their games are solid in a lot of categories that matter to me, and I give them a chance as well.

Peace!!!
Nothing wrong with being a graphics whore. Personally I think graphics are more than player faces and uniform sheen. Then again, I'm a little more old school and tend to place more emphasis on gameplay when I debate a game's worth.

# 50 aenggeorge @ 03/18/08 10:27 AM
good conference call guys last tuesday!!!!! the game is still hopeful of a comeback and they are taking their time to make look good!!!!

# 51 MUSS @ 03/22/08 05:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aenggeorge
good conference call guys last tuesday!!!!! the game is still hopeful of a comeback and they are taking their time to make look good!!!!

so, are you saying that you heard that 2k9 may still come out??

# 52 aenggeorge @ 03/22/08 11:32 AM
not sure but just listen in right here: http://ir.take2games.com/ and hheres vadrez said on this issue:http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164912

« Previous 123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.