Home
News Post

We have just posted some NCAA Football 09 stadium comparison screenshots. You can read about the details over at the official NCAA Football 09 website.

Quote:
"On Field Textures

"One thing we're really proud of this year is our field textures. The level of detail has improved quite a bit. You'll actually be able to see the difference between grass and synthetic turf, which is something that's totally new. We also have field degradation, so the field will see realistic wear and tear during the course of a game."

On Stadium Lighting

"In years past our stadium lighting has been really dark for the dusk games. This year we have separate lighting controls for the environment and the player, so when the player goes into a shadow, you'll still see the same level of detail you'd see in the full sun."

On The Fans

"Home stadiums have never felt more alive. In the past our crowd colors used to be more mixed with neutral colors, but this year we're showing off the home crowd's colors in a big way. Inside the stadiums it's very clear which fans are supporting which team. There are pockets in the stadiums with sections full of visiting team fans."

On Other Improvements

"There are a lot of other detail related things we've done to make the stadiums feel more authentic. There is fog that adds more depth to the fields in the larger stadiums, mow lines during snow games, and more dramatic skies that help to improve the environments."

NCAA Football 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 green94 @ 04/13/08 10:42 AM
Wow, very impressed with the screens. But like others have said, show me some gameplay before I get excited.

That being said, the graphics look great, and actually have me interested in an NCAA game for the first time in years.

As far as the sidelines, I'll be pumped if they are dynamic, but if there are just a few more people standing around like zombies, color me unimpressed.

# 62 SageInfinite @ 04/13/08 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
actually a one or two screenshots apparently show a referree and the goal post nets. But none have been said to contain the chain gang.

Look back thru a few of the posts in this thread and you'll see the apparent goal post net and the referee.
I still haven't seen any goal post nets cb. Not that it's a huge deal to me, I just haven't seen them.

# 63 Pared @ 04/13/08 10:55 AM
That discussion a few pages back was about the kicker nets on the sidelines, not Goal Post nets. Those are not in any of the shots.

Is it really hard to add these things in? I can come up with a quick list off the top of my head to really immerse the gamer... yet it takes a few years to get it into the ONLY licensed college football game around.

cb, I simply have no idea how you can see details in The Show yet not catch the fact there was only one goal post in the field!

# 64 countryboy @ 04/13/08 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
I still haven't seen any goal post nets cb. Not that it's a huge deal to me, I just haven't seen them.
I haven't seen them either but I thought someone said there were in there. I do remember the pic where someone on here circled a "figure" in the middle of the field saying that it might be a referree...

Edit: Pared pointed out that they were talking about FG practice kicking nets, not goal posts nets, my mistake.

# 65 countryboy @ 04/13/08 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
cb, I simply have no idea how you can see details in The Show yet not catch the fact there was only one goal post in the field!
like I said, I wasn't looking for it. I was checking out the lighting and the snow on the field more than anything else. I wasn't even looking for goal posts nets or the crowd, I was simply amazed at the lighting and the fact that snow/weather seems to have been fixed. When I look at the pics now, the goal posts at the near end appear to be transparent.

# 66 Pared @ 04/13/08 11:14 AM
I can understand that other stuff, just... an entire goal post was missing? That's like HR poles missing in a baseball game!

I'll let it go now... just funny to me. It's ok... I was entranced by the new lighting at first too.

# 67 countryboy @ 04/13/08 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
That's like HR poles missing in a baseball game!

I don't see any HR poles in the Show...

# 68 rolltide1017 @ 04/13/08 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjacobs
This was asked at the 08 Community Day.

They didn't have items like that in 08 to ensure the game ran at 60 FPS on 360 and 30 FPS on the PS3. It addition, they faced the dilemma of using time to add them in or use it on gameplay related features.
That's a BS excuse IMO. If a few referees and goal post nets cause your frame rate to not achieve 60fps (or worse 30 on the PS3) then the rest of you code is not optimized well. How can The Show have such great detail in there stadiums plus full 3D crowds and, things like the apple rising in NY, the train moving on HR in Huston, fans hitting beach balls all while the game holds a solid frame rate. But EA can't add refs or nets without there frame rate suffering. Just doesn't make sense to me, maybe the game engine EA built isn't that good then.

I understand that there is more going on in football games so, the graphics will not be as good other games but, I just don't get why it is so hard to add refs or nets on these consoles (especially when the PS2 ans Xbox 1 could handle them).

# 69 green94 @ 04/13/08 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
That's a BS excuse IMO. If a few referees and goal post nets cause your frame rate to not achieve 60fps (or worse 30 on the PS3) then the rest of you code is not optimized well. How can The Show have such great detail in there stadiums plus full 3D crowds and, things like the apple rising in NY, the train moving on HR in Huston, fans hitting beach balls all while the game holds a solid frame rate. But EA can't add refs or nets without there frame rate suffering. Just doesn't make sense to me, maybe the game engine EA built isn't that good then.

I understand that there is more going on in football games so, the graphics will not be as other games but, I just don't get why it is so hard to add refs or nets on these consoles (especially when the PS2 ans Xbox 1 could handle them).
Good post.

# 70 edubbs @ 04/13/08 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017
I understand that there is more going on in football games so, the graphics will not be as other games but, I just don't get why it is so hard to add refs or nets on these consoles (especially when the PS2 ans Xbox 1 could handle them).
It's the 10 year old base engine that they are using from the PS2 and Xbox hardware, that's the meat of the problem.

Until they create a new engine we will not be getting these things. Basicly their NextGen football efforts have just been spruced up last gen games to this point.

They are having fits getting their football titles too match the quality of games that are 4-5 years old from the old consoles.

Don't expect refs, nets, etc. this year because Tiborun just got the game to run at 60fps this past year, adding that stuff will just hinder the games framerate.

It's very frustrating I know....

I'm still waiting on a realistic QB pocket and defensive ends that actually rush up field, instead of wrestling at the line of scrimmage with offensive tackles. This is a fundamental thing that has NEVER been in a Tiborun produced football game.

Instead they put in these stupid gimmick defensive plays to try and limit the 20 yard QB dropback/rollout, that have both defensive ends 'spying' the QB at the same time for example....SMH.

The engine they are using along with the lack of talent on the Dev teams, is causing both of their football franchises to be stagnent IMO.

Hopefully, we will see improvement next month when some 11 on 11 vids are released.

# 71 JBucc @ 04/13/08 02:30 PM
They're a mixed bag, I think. The lighting and new field textures look fantastic. But I agree with the crowd looking bad. They look like cutouts again. At least 07 and 08 they looked 3d. The crowd in 09 is also less diverse, in the Tennesse shots it looks like the entire crowd is two or three models.

# 72 rolltide1017 @ 04/13/08 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by edubbs
It's the 10 year old base engine that they are using from the PS2 and Xbox hardware, that's the meat of the problem.
Really, I thought the said they wrote a brand new engine when they did the first NCAA on 360.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
They're a mixed bag, I think. The lighting and new field textures look fantastic. But I agree with the crowd looking bad. They look like cutouts again. At least 07 and 08 they looked 3d. The crowd in 09 is also less diverse, in the Tennesse shots it looks like the entire crowd is two or three models.
I'm telling you, from what I see in the screenshots, it looks like they increased the field textures and added some new lighting effects (which look really good) but, had to compensate that by pulling back on the rest of the textures through out the stadiums. The crowds and stadium structure textures just don't look as good as 08 IMO. If they are really using a last gen engine then I understand why they would do this (think it stinks, but understand).

# 73 countryboy @ 04/13/08 04:28 PM
the fact that people are now complaining about the crowd models, leads me to believe that EA is doing something right. Thats just me though

# 74 kmart2180 @ 04/13/08 04:45 PM
Is there anyone else that all this little extra stuff doesnt bother? I mean I seriously could careless about how great the crowd looks or if theres cheerleaders,fg nets, ref's ect......... What is comes down too is how good the game plays. What good would all that eye candy stuff be if the gameplay has to suffer because of the time being spent on the little thing.

In my opinion they need to take a year to focus on the most important thing in the game (GAMEPLAY) Overhaul it and then add all the toppings after that. Cause after a few times saying wow fg nets are in the game , there gonna be forgotten about in 2-3 games played. Same with everything else ref's,sideline's,fans ect....

So far what Ive seen has looked really good but again its all for not if the gameplay remains the same. Not that it is bad but it must get alot better imo. There are still fundemental aspects of the game that are flawed, like a pocket forming for the qb, or Defensive Ends that attack up field but also contain the outsides.

IMO we need more people bringing up the things that really matter instead of all the little things that should come after a solid foundation is built.

# 75 SageInfinite @ 04/13/08 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart2180
Is there anyone else that all this little extra stuff doesnt bother? I mean I seriously could careless about how great the crowd looks or if theres cheerleaders,fg nets, ref's ect......... What is comes down too is how good the game plays. What good would all that eye candy stuff be if the gameplay has to suffer because of the time being spent on the little thing.

In my opinion they need to take a year to focus on the most important thing in the game (GAMEPLAY) Overhaul it and then add all the toppings after that. Cause after a few times saying wow fg nets are in the game , there gonna be forgotten about in 2-3 games played. Same with everything else ref's,sideline's,fans ect....

So far what Ive seen has looked really good but again its all for not if the gameplay remains the same. Not that it is bad but it must get alot better imo. There are still fundemental aspects of the game that are flawed, like a pocket forming for the qb, or Defensive Ends that attack up field but also contain the outsides.

IMO we need more people bringing up the things that really matter instead of all the little things that should come after a solid foundation is built.
I definitely feel you on gameplay 1st, but for me the gameplay isn't horrible so these little things would add alot more to the game. I enjoy the gameplay in 08 and for them to add the details, atmosphere and immersion of College football, I would be more than satisfied.

# 76 metallidevils @ 04/13/08 04:54 PM
Quote:
the fact that people are now complaining about the crowd models, leads me to believe that EA is doing something right. Thats just me though

We've basically accepted that neither the gameplay, nor the graphics engine, are getting a big overhaul, so at least they could make little nice on the outdated engines they use.

# 77 SageInfinite @ 04/13/08 05:01 PM
Quote:
Oh just wait till more screens are released cb, lol.

# 78 rudyjuly2 @ 04/13/08 06:04 PM
I always felt the game looked too dark at times. Playing a game at Penn State at night had a really dark portion of the field and the dusk games were a little off as well. The screenshots look nice.

# 79 8and9 @ 04/13/08 06:12 PM
Looks good.

# 80 olemiss86 @ 04/13/08 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart2180

HA yeah. Why is everyone on the feild goal nets? Not every team has those. I know Ole Miss doesn't. But at least they addes stuff like cheerleaders and extra photographers and media around. Looks great to me.

But one thing I did notice was the JumboTrons. I hope they don't just show the school logos on them. I want to show the game on it like as if it was a real Scoreboard Screen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.