Home
News Post

IGN has posted their first look preview of Don King Presents: Prizefighter.

Quote:
"We got an early, pre-beta look at Prizefighter last week and came away with one word echoing in our heads: spectaculocity. While there's no true definition to the word that Don King uses to open the introductory cinematic to the game, we can't help but feel that it's an accurate summation for the overall tone of Prizefighter."

Game: Don King Presents: PrizefighterReader Score: 3.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 10 - View All
Don King Presents: Prizefighter Videos
Member Comments
# 1 allBthere @ 04/14/08 09:03 PM
3 things stuck out -
1- 80 boxers???
2- repeating story so that if you make a new boxer his hand will break every time on his 4rth fight for example...as in the scripted events are constant no matter what (too bad)
3- in ring action seems sub-par

# 2 fistofrage @ 04/14/08 09:12 PM
Crap!..........Nevermind, this is just some cheezy linear story. Why did they do that? All I wanted was rankings and be able to choose the fights I wanted, not some scripted rocky story where the injuries are scripted. To quote Slim Shady, "That's Rock Bottom."

# 3 Sausage @ 04/14/08 09:15 PM
Sounds promising
80 boxers = awesome, 30 current fighters/10 retired fighters of the last 50 years/40 generic fighters

40 generic make me excited because they will mimic fighters they could not sign for example Cotto, Mayweather, Tyson, Lewis, Klitschkos, etc. (Hopefully we can edit the generics)

For the in-ring action it needs some ironing out, but still pretty good.

Career mode being linear is similar to other boxing titles, so I am ok with it. It is a first look so we don't know the career mode in-depth yet. Hopefully it has some branching paths when you lose, win, draw, etc.

I cannot wait for this game. Presentation, soundtrack, boxers are top notch from the preview. This will be one of the few games I will get without even reading any reviews, impressions, and what not. Sometimes all the impressions can mess a game up for me. Peace.

# 4 allBthere @ 04/14/08 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
Sounds promising
80 boxers = awesome, 30 current fighters/10 retired fighters of the last 50 years/40 generic fighters

40 generic make me excited because they will mimic fighters they could not sign for example Cotto, Mayweather, Tyson, Lewis, Klitschkos, etc. (Hopefully we can edit the generics)

For the in-ring action it needs some ironing out, but still pretty good.

Career mode being linear is similar to other boxing titles, so I am ok with it. It is a first look so we don't know the career mode in-depth yet. Hopefully it has some branching paths when you lose, win, draw, etc.

I cannot wait for this game. Presentation, soundtrack, boxers are top notch from the preview. This will be one of the few games I will get without even reading any reviews, impressions, and what not. Sometimes all the impressions can mess a game up for me. Peace.
i agree with your points but if there is a story mode, i'd want a career mode also where you can have a stable of boxers in your own gym and have multiple boxers going w/ different styles and attributes...this 'story' being the same everytime makes the replay value go down actually rather than no story at all...it's kindof a bummer

the in-ring action sounds like it could need for than ironing out too...collision detection and lack of power

# 5 PRGUY85 @ 04/15/08 12:29 AM
Watch the screen with the Career mode stuff...that looks deep and involving.

# 6 fistofrage @ 04/15/08 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRGUY85
Watch the screen with the Career mode stuff...that looks deep and involving.
There are alot of questions right now. I didn't see any boxer stats on that page. Height, Weight, hand, etc.

I saw a box that said contract. Hopefully you get to choose your fights and scout opponents.

If there are a total of 80 boxers, that will greatly reduce replayability. That would mean that there is either only one class, heavyweight, that you can play or all the divisions have a serious lack of boxers in there.

Time will tell, but it leaves alot of questions.

# 7 Vast @ 04/15/08 09:57 PM
They dropped the ball with the career mode. If i can't pick who i want to fight, then i'd rather just keep playing fight night round 3. Im telling you man i need to be a producer for 2k.. seriously.

# 8 JayBee74 @ 04/16/08 09:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
They dropped the ball with the career mode. If i can't pick who i want to fight, then i'd rather just keep playing fight night round 3. Im telling you man i need to be a producer for 2k.. seriously.
"Keep playing FN Round 3" is not an option for me.The career mode sucked and after several online fights I just got burned out on the game. This review means absolutely nothing , because there is no hands on with the game.

# 9 Vast @ 04/16/08 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
"Keep playing FN Round 3" is not an option for me.The career mode sucked and after several online fights I just got burned out on the game. This review means absolutely nothing , because there is no hands on with the game.
i know but a linear career mode is horrible. FN3 is crap but it at least isn't linear. I only said that cuz im upset. im definitely Gameflying this but wtf yo!!

# 10 Behindshadows @ 04/16/08 01:44 PM
This will be a rental, we all knew something was going to go wrong with it. Especially when they put Don King's name on it.

Way to go 2ksports we wait years for you to get into the boxing game. And you pick Don ripoff King to promote it, and then give it a linear story mode. And a crap load of generic boxers! Why not legends like Ali and things like that. I mean come on!

By the way, love the graphic details, not sure about the movement, have to see in gameplay first.

(RENTAL) Not a purchase, unless I catch some disappointed kat trading it in at Lamestop for $15 to $20 I'll get it from him.

# 11 albsur2003 @ 04/16/08 02:34 PM
I still wonder how in the hell the career modes in these boxing games have regressed since FN: Round 2. All these idiots had to do was expand on that career mode in that game. Instead both games FN: Round 3 and Prizefighter have completely missed the point of what a boxing sim's career mode should be.

# 12 JayBee74 @ 04/16/08 02:45 PM
COME ON EVERYBODY-PREMATURE!!!!!!

# 13 fistofrage @ 04/16/08 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
COME ON EVERYBODY-PREMATURE!!!!!!
You call me a pessimist, I call myself a realist. The writing's on the wall that they blew it. Like they above poster said, all they had to do is expand on Fight Night Round 2's career mode and we'd be set. They had multiple weight classes with 50+ boxers per class. All we needed was 100+ boxers per class and multiple belt s per division. Should have been easy enough with the Xbox 360's processor. I also like how in Fight Night round 2, your created boxers would get sprinkled into the rankings, so I was fighting a ton of real boxers on my way up the charts.

I wanted multiple boxers in the stable. Multiple careers going at the same time, so me and a buddy could possibly cross paths, and a ton of boxers. Looks like this will fail on all counts. I'm disappointed to say the least.

They could have just followed they same model as victorious boxers: boxers road and we'd all be happy. But No......you have to follow some linear story that will kill the replay value.

# 14 Vast @ 04/17/08 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
You call me a pessimist, I call myself a realist. The writing's on the wall that they blew it. Like they above poster said, all they had to do is expand on Fight Night Round 2's career mode and we'd be set. They had multiple weight classes with 50+ boxers per class. All we needed was 100+ boxers per class and multiple belt s per division. Should have been easy enough with the Xbox 360's processor. I also like how in Fight Night round 2, your created boxers would get sprinkled into the rankings, so I was fighting a ton of real boxers on my way up the charts.

I wanted multiple boxers in the stable. Multiple careers going at the same time, so me and a buddy could possibly cross paths, and a ton of boxers. Looks like this will fail on all counts. I'm disappointed to say the least.

They could have just followed they same model as victorious boxers: boxers road and we'd all be happy. But No......you have to follow some linear story that will kill the replay value.
Huge ****ing co-sign on that. although i don't remember round 2's career mode that much. What was wrong with it?

# 15 fistofrage @ 04/17/08 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Huge ****ing co-sign on that. although i don't remember round 2's career mode that much. What was wrong with it?
THE main problem with the career mode in round 2 was that there really wasn't a huge penalty to losing. And because the rounds were 3 full minutes even the heavyweights would throw 100+ punches per round and everything ended in Knockout. What I did love about it though was that you could create boxers and they would appear in the rankings. So my Middleweight division, I was fighting against the current roster as well as Ring Magazine's other top 10 boxers that I created.

I would love a boxing game where Ko's were relatively tough and many fights ended in a decision and you could control multiple boxers so me and a buddy could each control a fighter and try to move up the rankings.

# 16 cjallure24 @ 04/18/08 08:09 AM
FNR3 is the exact same way in terms of career mode.You knew what was coming weither you win or lose......Im going to focus on some things that's positive about this upcoming title....

First...A robust roster.This is roster even though isn't well known,has guys who are present fighters and could bring these guys to light who are good up and coming fighters instead of dwelling on the past with big name fighters from the past.I'm not mad at 2K for going this route with some new guys and a sprinkle of past greats.....And a add on bonus,we get a number of generic fighters who we can possibly edit.....
Commentary with Jim Lampley and Emmanuel Stewart....Need I say more,we wanted the best in commentary and they delivered.
Presentation.....They didn't ignore what is one of the biggest things in boxing and that is the atmosphere.After reading the article and seeing the trailer,it looks like they are headed in the right direction.

Lets face it,this game isn't going to be perfect the first go around,but if we give them the chance to build on this franchise we won't have to deal with one product a year.EA wants this game to flop so that they don't have competition,and I don't know about you all but having two company's fight for the label best boxing title and releasing a boxing game each year works in our favor....the gamer wins......Now I'm not saying we should settle for just any plan jane product(which we have done the past four years in another sports title) but we should just save our judgement for when the game comes out......Peace

# 17 Complex @ 04/18/08 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
BINGO

Its sad that this game has 100s of boxers at ALL weight classes in all major countries, several belts, along witht he ability to move up and around in various weight classes. The game has injuries too.

Just blows my mind.

# 18 JayBee74 @ 04/18/08 01:12 PM
Gameplay will be the key for me. Even if it's great, that doesn't mean your computer AI opponents will support any type of career mode no matter how good it is. It would be neat if 2K could mimic your human opponent tendencies like it does in it's football games. I look forward to online leagues/tourneys, even though I have'nt heard anything about them.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.