Home
News Post

NCAA Strategies have just posted their first look at NCAA Football 09.

Quote:
"The offensive line play seems improved in pass protection, IMO. I am not sure I would quantify it as a pure “pocket” like some of you have asked, but I didn’t got stomped by the defensive line as much as I did in 08.

In 08, online play was hampered by gamers taking advantage of the lead blocking feature with offensive linemen. If you attempted pancake blocks with them, they would blow the DL several yards deep opening up a huge hole. This year, that does not seem to be the case. I worked on this several times and only saw one pancake, but it did not result in the DL getting blasted five yards deep – only two or three. The rest of the time the players were simply engaged in a tie-up."

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Skyboxer @ 04/26/08 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAlumni

Sounds like EA just didn't bother to address many of the BIGGEST issues..or address them very "meagerly". Not a good thing.

Which is really the EA we all know. No surprises here.

# 122 Skyboxer @ 04/26/08 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjacobs
Hey guys - hope you enjoyed the early impressions.

I will add that the lead prodcuer stated that within just the last week there have been tweaks to the game on both sides of the ball.
Please don't take these impressions as being the final gospel on the game. It will be the thoughts of the game at Community Day that you should put more stock into. If they make some of the tweaks we suggested, this game will be pretty good.

I'll add that Online Dynasties are going to be amazing. I'll have an audio interview up by this weekend (hopefully).
Which means absolutely zilch coming from EA.

# 123 Skyboxer @ 04/26/08 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
I disagree but everyone has a right to their opinion. I don't hate EA. I am disappointed that flaws from last year game is "in the game" at this point.
I can't say I "hate" EA but it's getting close. They are single handely destroying console football, period. I honestly feel they have virtually no talent left there that can do the job. Why else would they work on freaking chearleaders and stadium pics instead of programming some serious flaws out of the game.
So yeah, basically I probably do hate EA at this point. It's been a few years and they have shown little to no improvements. And why did they get the ESPN exclusives again. I'd like to know since I've yet to see it implemented in any shape or form that isn't embarrasing.
Enoughs enough.
Ok that's my rant.

I really don't hate EA. I just want a game that 1: Plays as realistic as it can 2: Doesn't require house rules and 3: Doesn't get boring (Presentation EA?) after 5 games.

That's all. Here's hoping you can pull it off.

# 124 Craigsca @ 04/26/08 11:02 PM
Dudez - who cares about gameplay when they finally have my favorite team's alternate shoelaces!

# 125 countryboy @ 04/27/08 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigsca
Dudez - who cares about gameplay when they finally have my favorite team's alternate shoelaces!
nice try but not funny.

# 126 Spectre @ 04/27/08 05:53 PM
Quote:
And clear visors!

# 127 countryboy @ 04/27/08 06:09 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
And clear visors!
considering that there were people dissappointed in the game last year becasue there were no clear visors and jerseys weren't accurate, I think its hard to knock EA for putting these items in.

# 128 Scott @ 04/27/08 06:10 PM
We also knocked them for too many turnovers, but they haven't fixed that yet

# 129 countryboy @ 04/27/08 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
We also knocked them for too many turnovers, but they haven't fixed that yet
Thats too early to tell and from my experience playing the game post patch, the turnover issue seemed to have been fixed.

# 130 Scott @ 04/27/08 06:16 PM
Well I sure hope they fix the 1-2 INT TDs avg in a game.

# 131 JRod @ 04/27/08 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
I can't say I "hate" EA but it's getting close. They are single handely destroying console football, period. I honestly feel they have virtually no talent left there that can do the job. Why else would they work on freaking chearleaders and stadium pics instead of programming some serious flaws out of the game.
So yeah, basically I probably do hate EA at this point. It's been a few years and they have shown little to no improvements. And why did they get the ESPN exclusives again. I'd like to know since I've yet to see it implemented in any shape or form that isn't embarrasing.
Enoughs enough.
Ok that's my rant.

I really don't hate EA. I just want a game that 1: Plays as realistic as it can 2: Doesn't require house rules and 3: Doesn't get boring (Presentation EA?) after 5 games.

That's all. Here's hoping you can pull it off.
Man do I agree with this. To me, EA Sports has lost focus with their football titles best they have been allowed to move at their own pace due to no competition.

I think Madden has grown too big for it's own good. It can't innovate because the 1 year cycle doesn't offer enough time and EA Sports fears that will alienate fans. It can't offer a sim experience because that would go against the new ethos of the company. And it doesn't have any competition that would force EA to innovate over fear of losing sales.

If you think about it, the Madden engine is virtually the same game we played on the PS1. Graphics have improved but the core EA gameplay is the same.

# 132 Blaxican8504 @ 04/27/08 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
considering that there were people dissappointed in the game last year becasue there were no clear visors and jerseys weren't accurate, I think its hard to knock EA for putting these items in.
Considering that dark visors are illegal, they shouldn't have even been in the game in the first place. So it's kind of hard to give EA credit for actually getting it right. Especially 3 years later.

# 133 countryboy @ 04/27/08 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaxican8504
Considering that dark visors are illegal, they shouldn't have even been in the game in the first place. So it's kind of hard to give EA credit for actually getting it right. Especially 3 years later.
point taken.

# 134 coogrfan @ 05/02/08 07:31 AM
cdj's impression piece is up (please don't cut and paste it here, just click the link):

http://www.ncaastrategies.com/utopia...ad.php?t=57228

# 135 rudyjuly2 @ 05/02/08 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
cdj's impression piece is up (please don't cut and paste it here, just click the link):

http://www.ncaastrategies.com/utopia...ad.php?t=57228
Some great stuff in there. Between Chris, Dave at PSU and Pasta Padre, there is a lot of good stuff in there.

I love the improved speed and agility of players in the game. They did say that INT's are improved and there were no more warps to the ball for picks as in the past. The big problem with INTs was that they all felt it was too easy to bring one back for a TD if you got one. Hopefully that gets improved.

Only one person commented on the cpu not throwing deep often. I don't know how much cpu time they got in but hopefully that gets rectified. The fact there are more big runs as well as improved RAC should bring a lot more excitement to the table.

Everyone seemed to think the improved speed and moves translated into more fun ala PS2/Xbox days.

# 136 Craigsca @ 05/02/08 10:30 AM
Here's the deal - he's using 5 min quarters, right?

He said some games are "low-scoring" (in the 40's combined for both teams) and then others are shoot-outs. His "low-scoring" is actually an AVERAGE college football game. How is it going to be when we try to get the right number of plays in a game by using 8 or 9 min quarters against the CPU? Arcadey-scorefest.

Why can't EA do something with the painfully accurate QB throwing? Do something like MLB 08 does - where you hope to throw it to a location but you're not always successful. I want a real college quarterback, not AccuLaserThrow 3000. If your QBs are simulated without 100% accuracy, you're going to bring down those abnormally high completion percentages.

And please, please...tone down the INT return for a TD. Even if you have to make a goofy tripped over his own foot animation to balance it - do it. We'll forgive you.

# 137 rudyjuly2 @ 05/02/08 10:49 AM
Quote:
Here's the deal - he's using 5 min quarters, right?

He said some games are "low-scoring" (in the 40's combined for both teams) and then others are shoot-outs. His "low-scoring" is actually an AVERAGE college football game. How is it going to be when we try to get the right number of plays in a game by using 8 or 9 min quarters against the CPU? Arcadey-scorefest.

Why can't EA do something with the painfully accurate QB throwing? Do something like MLB 08 does - where you hope to throw it to a location but you're not always successful. I want a real college quarterback, not AccuLaserThrow 3000. If your QBs are simulated without 100% accuracy, you're going to bring down those abnormally high completion percentages.

And please, please...tone down the INT return for a TD. Even if you have to make a goofy tripped over his own foot animation to balance it - do it. We'll forgive you.
First, the game may be high scoring but they didn't seem overly concerned about it. They said they were rushing their play selection as well to cram as many plays into 5 minute games as they could. Its not a final build and we still have sliders to tone things down.

I'd like it if the QB accuracy was toned down as well and everyone there harped on it. Hopefully the QB accuracy slider works (without affecting throwing strength). Every year, I always tone down QB accuracy in an EA football game.

I agree about the INTs. Adding some stumbling animations or even a WR, stick out your leg and trip him defense animation, would be preferred. Hopefully every INT doesn't get returned for a TD.

# 138 Cardot @ 05/02/08 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree about the INTs. Adding some stumbling animations or even a WR, stick out your leg and trip him defense animation, would be preferred. Hopefully every INT doesn't get returned for a TD.
I agree as well. I think the returns are the bigger problem than the INT's themselves. If there are too many INT's then it can mess up the stats....but if they aren't returned, they can often equate to a punt. However when they turn into insta-TD's then the game swings and strategies change.

As others have mentioned in other threads, a legitimate '08 strategy is to just play super conservative and wait for the CPU to implode and hand you a couple gimme pick-6's.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.