Home
Madden 09 News Post

In the recent Madden NFL 09 press release we posted, it looks like we'll be seeing the in-booth play-by-play and color commentary team of Cris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond.

Quote:
"Madden NFL 09 will also feature a network-inspired broadcast presentation. Players will benefit from the authentic football knowledge of an in-booth play-by-play and color commentary team featuring Cris Collinsworth and Tom Hammond. In addition, numerous graphical enhancements have been made, including realistic weather and grass, sleeker player models and exterior stadium views."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Danimal @ 04/25/08 12:07 PM
Let me preface this by saying if there is one thing that is personal opinion it is what announcers you like.

Having said that I don't care who it is to be honest, I care more about what is being said. If it flows seamless like the Show and I don't think about the commentary and it feel like I am listening to a game on TV then that's good enough for me.

If it is just a bad voice over actor (Hello Radio Guy) or cheesy and annoying (Hello Dan and Peter) then it could be two hall of fame announcers I'd still be turning it off.

Bottom line for me is if I'm thinking about the commentary instead of listening to it then it has failed.

# 22 Tomba @ 04/25/08 12:09 PM
I just do not understand why Madden doesn't have MADDEN?!

# 23 BezO @ 04/25/08 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSpezzano
Having said that I don't care who it is to be honest, I care more about what is being said. If it flows seamless like the Show and I don't think about the commentary and it feel like I am listening to a game on TV then that's good enough for me.
Agreed. I'm only concerned with how their lines are intergrated. Give me dynamic commentary and as many lines as possible. Then spend the same amount of time next year adding to the commentary. But history has shown that what's recorded this year will make up 99% of what we hear next year.

# 24 LingeringRegime @ 04/25/08 12:52 PM
I think (I hope) this will be a great fit. If I remember correctly, I once heard Collinsworth talk about how he and his son play Madden often. Hopefully, since he plays the game himself it will transfer over to realistic and dynamic commentary.

# 25 JBucc @ 04/25/08 12:54 PM
It's great that they have real announcers back, but tbh it doesn't matter what team they got, what matters is what lines EA gives them and how well it's programmed. If the're repetitive with stupid lines and always a play behind people will hate them no matter what.

# 26 djordan @ 04/25/08 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
man ill take bert and ernie over radio guy
LOLOL,.........

# 27 NYG_Meth @ 04/25/08 12:56 PM
I, for one, like Collinsworth a lot. With this addition, it looks like soon he'll be working for every major network and videogame that has anything to do with football.

# 28 StayPlation82 @ 04/25/08 02:15 PM
cool, they got the commentors back, that's what we asked for.

# 29 spankdatazz22 @ 04/25/08 02:51 PM
I like Collingsworth myself; Hammond is okay. Imo it's not necessarily the announcers, but how they're directed. Doesn't matter who it is if their lines are full of cliches, the two don't sound as if they're watching the same game, and it's not programmed in a way to make it sound fresh

# 30 LingeringRegime @ 04/25/08 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I like Collingsworth myself; Hammond is okay. Imo it's not necessarily the announcers, but how they're directed. Doesn't matter who it is if their lines are full of cliches, the two don't sound as if they're watching the same game, and it's not programmed in a way to make it sound fresh
I couldn't agree more, I think if EA is humble enough to look at SCEA with The Show, and the NFL 2K series, they will draw plenty of inspiration, but since it's Madden they have to take it to the next level or in my opinion it will be a letdown.

# 31 LincSink @ 04/25/08 03:20 PM
I really like this news. I like both these guys. Hammond is a very no-frills kinda guy so I don't have to worry about irritating catch phrases or any of that. It's a different direction and I like that they didn't just go for the monday night crew just for recognition purposes.

And as it has been said, at least all the lines will be new this year...

# 32 RoyalBoyle78 @ 04/25/08 03:37 PM
Quote:

# 33 LingeringRegime @ 04/25/08 03:44 PM
Poor Radio Guy, what if he frequents this forum.

# 34 p2xgamers @ 04/25/08 03:55 PM
Good news, I don't mind Collinsworth personally.

# 35 HealyMonster @ 04/25/08 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by p2xgamers
Good news, I don't mind Collinsworth personally.

me neither, plus like someone else said, itll be new so no re used same ole commentary. im hoping the presentaqtion is TV style ala the 2k games.

# 36 A.M. Son @ 04/25/08 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayPlation82
cool, they got the commentors back, that's what we asked for.
Exactly!! That's what we should all be echoing to EA. Whether or not we like the individual selections is a moot point- we should all be rejoicing that they canned the radio guy.
Now we just have to hope that the commentary is implemented well.
Thanks EA- now prove to us you can do this right.

# 37 spankdatazz22 @ 04/25/08 05:57 PM
It'll be interesting to see how they pull it all together; I don't know how they'd rip out all the bad stuff that needs to go. I remember years ago (last gen) when EA was again saying all the right things in trying to improve presentation in Madden by bringing in the people that did Monday Night Football. Everyone thought it would me drastically improved camera angles, cool replays and overlays, etc. Instead it yielded those 3-in-1 Matrix replays and those odd post play visuals. The picture-in-picture stuff sounds interesting

# 38 countryboy @ 04/25/08 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Oh no. Oh Jesus God no. Cris f'ing Collinsworth? I can't STAND him! I'd rather be treated to the docile tones of John Madden farting than to listen to him! Great...just f'ing great! :

Poor Collinsworth. His voice lost out to a Madden fart.

# 39 countryboy @ 04/25/08 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRETCHARUSS
Poor Radio Guy, what if he frequents this forum.

# 40 countryboy @ 04/25/08 06:05 PM
Quote:

I don't think that I have ever laughed so hard at one thread in all my time here on OS.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.