Home
News Post

The EA Forums have posted a Q&A session with Brian Ullrich, Producer of NBA Live 09. Since I can't link to the actual post, I will copy and paste it here.

Quote:
"1.) Are you guys going to fix the jump shots in the next game and make them smoother (like 2k)? it didn’t feel smooth enough and it could still use some work.

This varies a little bit from player to player, but generally I agree with you. We are working on jumpers this year to make them feel smoother and more responsive.

2.) I feel that having a hand in a players face, should have more of an impact on a players' shot. tell me y is it that when I was using the lakers vs the hornets, I had a hand in chris paul's face, and he kept shooting at a very high percentage? then I was using kobe, and I was shooting as if nobody was guarding easily on superstar. I was having fun by just running and gunning. will you guys fix that problem?

There are ton of factors that go into shot success, including player ratings, hot zones, how well guarded a player is, who is defending him, etc. The trick is to get all of these balanced just right and it is something we will be tuning this year to make it more realistic.

3.) Will there be off the ball control?

Yes- I can’t say too much about this yet, but there are some really interesting new features coming around off ball controls that we will tell you about this summer.

4.) I’m tired of seeing shots hitting behind the backboard. are you guys going to at least create more moves slightly behind the backboard so that players can adjust and try some tricky layups or shots in that position?

Yes- I think you will like the changes to shots under and around the basket this year.

5.) Are we finally going to get a deep multi-player dynasty as how 2k has an 8 player association mode? I think it’s about time.

We have been wanting to get to multi-player dynasty for a while now, but unfortunately we won’t be adding it for NBA LIVE 09.

6.) Is there going to be a legends pool in next year’s game so that we can use some of the old players in exhibition and dynasty mode?

I’d like to get to legends but it doesn’t look like we are going to be able to add them this year.

7.) Has the Create A Player limit been raised above 50 players?

Unfortunately, we can’t raise the limit above 50 due to memory restrictions."

Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Steve_OS @ 04/25/08 08:02 AM
BTW, don't forget to vote on the hype score for this game.

# 2 KG @ 04/25/08 01:15 PM
you gotta love that people ask questions about them catching up to speed with their competitor...y not just buy the competitors

# 3 BlackRome @ 04/25/08 10:37 PM
kgx2thez: I completely agree with you. I posted this on the blog.

Want to fix NBA Live.

Buy take two and slap an NBA LIVE sticker on the front of 2K.

Problem solved.

# 4 23 @ 04/26/08 12:56 AM
Its not sounding that good so far but then again he's not really saying much.

# 5 Bucksin06 @ 04/26/08 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
The EA Forums have posted a Q&A session with Brian Ullrich, Producer of NBA Live 09. Since I can't link to the actual post, I will copy and paste it here.
translation:
"we're too lazy to put in any type of effort into this franchise anymore.You guys should be satisfied with us providing good graphics. Our dedicated development team doesn't have time to work on gameplay. Yet, our advertisement team is hard at work to make sure you spend your hard earned money on the same game as 08. But the catch is, we're going to change cover boy's so no one will know the difference."
Thanks,
Brian

lol

# 6 PVarck31 @ 05/02/08 08:19 AM
Wow, why so negative? I thought Live 08 was a giant leap forward. This game is on the right track. 7 Q&A's and it already sucks. Tough crowd.

# 7 stephensonmc @ 05/08/08 04:11 PM
Hey guys, the latest Q & A will be up this week.

Thanks for reading....we encourage all of your questions.

# 8 mvb34 @ 05/08/08 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephensonmc
Hey guys, the latest Q & A will be up this week.

Thanks for reading....we encourage all of your questions.
The site seems to be down.

# 9 stephensonmc @ 05/08/08 08:25 PM

# 10 stephensonmc @ 05/09/08 11:24 AM

# 11 23 @ 05/09/08 12:09 PM
Would you mind posting the Q/A here?

I can't view certain game sites from work.

# 12 mvb34 @ 05/09/08 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
Would you mind posting the Q/A here?

I can't view certain game sites from work.
UPDATED 5/9

Q: How are the playbooks in LIVE 09? Are they unique to each item?

A: Yes they are. In fact, we’re doing a lot with plays and playbooks that we will talk more about later.

Q: One of the biggest problems with LIVE 08 this year for me is the shooting. It’s not user controlled, it’s like you’re just holding down the shoot button. It’s no timed release like in the previous years of NBA LIVE. Please tell me you guys are doing something about it.

A: I agree- we will be putting skill will be put back into shooting this year.

Q: Can I choose in strategy options – how to defend the pick’n’roll (switch defenders, trap, normal) when no controlling manually the defenders involved in the play?

A: I’ll answer this one with some news about the pick and roll later in the summer.

Q: By the way, will we see more animations of players fighting for position in the paint?

A: Yes we will, and not just in the paint- you will see more two-player animations throughout the game.

Q: Can I choose among more than 4 plays?

A: We’ll have more to talk about this later- there are some changes coming to plays and playbooks for sure.

Q: Will we see animated layouts of the plays overlaid on the court?

A: Again, more coming on this a little later in the year.

Q: Will you guys be incorporating a story mode for a created player? That would be the best thing to add to a game.

A: Unfortunately not this year. We want to do something with a single player story mode in the future, but when we do we want to do it right. It’s important that we don’t just do what has been done in other games, but do something new and innovative. We know that to do it right is going to take a lot of design planning and resources, so we are talking about when is the right year to really do it on a big, new, fresh way.

Q: I didn’t like the cross-overs on this past year’s game, they were stiff and really didn’t have a realistic feel to it. When you watch “Real” NBA games crossovers and signature moves are real quick and to the point. They also have an effect on the opposing player.

A: I agree. I thought the QuickStrike moves were a cool new take on the old freestyle system, but we didn’t quite get the animations right. It was what those moves would look like if you were doing them in the gym with no-one guarding you. We’ve done some new motion capture on them and I think you will like how they turn out this year.

Q: Will there be any/more signature dunks this year? For example, Kenyon Martin’s dunk where he slaps the backboard.

A: Yes, we add more signature dunks every year. I’m not sure if K-Mart’s slap dunk will make it in or not yet, but there will definitely be a lot of new ones.

Q: Go-to moves can be too effective at times. Is anything being done to balance this out?

A: Yes- some of them were too overpowered last year. We will be tuning these down a bit.

# 13 23 @ 05/09/08 01:05 PM
Thanks mvb

One thing I dont get is, why do a QA and you waste half of it telling people you can't answer their questions?

# 14 stephensonmc @ 05/09/08 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
Thanks mvb

One thing I dont get is, why do a QA and you waste half of it telling people you can't answer their questions?
Very good question.

The goal or purpose is to show you guys that I'm actually asking the questions that are asked. Also -- they provide insight into what you may see at a later date.

# 15 23 @ 05/09/08 03:07 PM
I hear you. I wish they would add sig jumpshots and sig moves, and to piggy back that other guy, the physics needs a major overhaul.

The first nex gen Live game was the last Live i played and it had potential, although it didnt play like anything until playmakers edits were added, but this game should be pretty advanced by now.

I would love for the developers to get into the meat of the game instead of the usual Unfortunately not this year stigma

# 16 beau21 @ 05/09/08 03:19 PM
(this is for anyone)

does NBA Live (next-gen) have signature shot styles?

if so, how good are they? and how many (approx.) are there?

# 17 edubbs @ 05/10/08 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1221
(this is for anyone)

does NBA Live (next-gen) have signature shot styles?

if so, how good are they? and how many (approx.) are there?
They have them but, not nearly as many as they should have. And ALOT of them are not accurate at all.

Hopefully, they spend some time on adding more and cleaning up the others for 09.

# 18 JBH3 @ 05/10/08 04:54 PM
A question I pose to the EA folks is will the price of the game match the quality of the game?

Like an idiot I bought Live 08, and after 1 game knew it was complete crap. The same week I traded it in for NBA 2K8 (finally used my brain), and all I got for it was $8 stinking dollars.

My question is will NBA Live 09 be $8 bucks this year? If so I might buy it. If not...wait...I probably wouldn't ever buy it again anyways.

I will commend EA on having better achievements to earn than NBA 2K8. Good job on that....

# 19 odbman @ 05/10/08 07:09 PM
some nice progress BUT without the use of multiple teams in season or dynasty mode looks like another year of 2k9.well maybe the will get there by live 10.

# 20 EWRMETS @ 05/10/08 09:15 PM
Very excited about this game.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.