Home
News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of NCAA Football 09.

Quote:
"Delivering an authentic college atmosphere that separates itself from what is seen in the yearly Madden release has always been a challenge for NCAA Football, but EA Sports is including a few new additions that will hopefully deliver a more scholastic feel. The first and foremost of these niceties is the celebration mechanic. Now when you score a touchdown you'll have the ability to interact with mascots by running over and performing a signature move or running over and riling up the crowd. You can also taunt opposing team's mascots, but then you run the risk of revving up a hostile crowd."

Game: NCAA Football 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 95 - View All
NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Ghettoshark @ 05/02/08 12:07 AM
....Typical IGN article. Everything is well. They even praise Mascot games. Seriously.

# 2 NoleFan @ 05/02/08 12:14 AM
09 looks really fast in the videos.

# 3 bad_philanthropy @ 05/02/08 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoshark
....Typical IGN article. Everything is well. They even praise Mascot games. Seriously.

EDIT: Some of the clips in that interview video actually looked pretty good!

# 4 jfsolo @ 05/02/08 12:28 AM
Quote:
Once you're actually down on the field and under center you'll notice that the look of NCAA Football has been refinished a bit since you last saw it. Player models have been sculpted to look more like college athletes and less like hulking superstars. There are also new animations (bobble catches and interceptions, for instance) that are specific to NCAA and are being dubbed a part of the Break Away Animation Engine that's designed to help players shed tackles and get into the open field a bit easier than in the past. This is aided by the new left stick controls which are much more responsive than anything we've seen from an EA-made football.
Lets hope that their are a decent amount of bobble interceptions(but not too many picks overall), and that they will aid in eliminating the absurd amount of pick 6's
Quote:
But what does that really mean this year? Well, for starters if your quarterback is rattled he won't be able to see the routes pre-snap. Instead he'll see a bunch of squiggly lines shaking all over the screen. Then there's also the requisite drop in skill that has been in year's past, but this time around it's extremely apparent as your quarterback will flat out miss open receivers.
Hopefully the QB's will miss receivers with totally uncatchable passes and not throws right to the defense.

******** language="JavaScript">document.write("");

# 5 mdgoalie37 @ 05/02/08 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoshark
Well, to be fair, the guy said the mascot game was a fun distraction, not that it is a mode he woudl use often. In the video interview it's the last thing mentioned and he says it's just a fun little thing that didn't take them any time.
Not that I'm interested in the mascot thing, but it might be fun to play with a kid or something.

# 6 coogrfan @ 05/02/08 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN guy
Want to hear a Kanye song when you score a touchdown?
Done.

"Oh dear Lord!"

Seriously, if that quote doesn't make plain the vast gulf between the sports gamers mindset and that of the folks over at IGN, nothing will.

# 7 spankdatazz22 @ 05/02/08 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

"Oh dear Lord!"

Seriously, if that quote doesn't make plain the vast gulf between the sports gamers mindset and that of the folks over at IGN, nothing will.
lol - IGN is ridiculous

# 8 bgeno @ 05/02/08 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan

"Oh dear Lord!"

That's a little nitpicky, don't you think? It's obvious they were simply showing that you can use any song in any (of the listed) situations. It's not like they said, "We put Kanye in for when we score a touchdown! He's is teh great and his music really has a tight connection with football!" They were simply stating that you can put anything in there. Hell, they could have said "Want to hear a Wiggles song when you score a touchdown? Done."

# 9 SageInfinite @ 05/02/08 11:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
They've completely fixed the horrid sideline models (another demand satisfied).
What have they done to the horrid sidelines? I still see the same zombies just more of them.

# 10 Mizzou23 @ 05/03/08 09:13 AM
The comments about QB composure have me worried. In years past, EA tends to implement something, and overdo it, hurting the overall experience. For example:

Home field advantage! Sounded great, but bad composure led to ridiculous dropped passes and QB not being able to hit the broad side of a barn in '05.

Jump the snap! Instead of this controlling one guy, it made your entire defensive line annhilate the O-line on some plays.

Momentum! Too overdone. A team with full momentum could just plug down the field 5 yards at a time because the momentum team's o-line was unstoppable.

I loved the idea behind every one of these features, but they were totally overdone. They need to make these changes more subtle.

# 11 therizing02 @ 05/03/08 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Ignore the haters. That vid showed nice developments in presentation, especially in delivering the college atmosphere.........just what the haters have been demanding and now they still pi$$ed. Typical. They've completely fixed the horrid sideline models (another demand satisfied). The game is also running smooth at 60fps on both systems (another demand satisfied). Throw in the online dynasty and NCAA-specific animations and it's shaping up to be a great year for NCAA. The haters are just mad that this is looking like a great year for next gen football and that it's coming from EA.
Give me a break with this man. What has EA done in the last few years for us to be optimistic? College football is by far my favorite sport and I'll be buying this game on day 1 if not sooner, but throwing out the deserved criticism to EA doesn't make everyone a *****.

They're selling us on the better "college atmosphere?" Is it because of the better sidelines or maybe because we can celebrate with the mascot, oh wait, I can add my favorite indie rock track to the game when OSU scores a TD? I'm sorry, but are these producers absolutely braindead?! Please tell me how that equates to better presentation.

I just watched the Alabama/Auburn game, and based on that I'm somewhat optimistic about the gameplay, however you could have heard a pin drop in that stadium! It's ALA/AUB people!!! Add dynamic crowd reactions, team entrances, more sounds from the band, pre game shows, pre season review of the Top 25 by Herbstreit/Nessler/Corso.

Does that make more sense or does it make me a *****?

# 12 babyfat9 @ 05/03/08 01:06 PM
Looks nice so far..hopefully the actual gameplay is good after the final installment....i think the lighting does great improvements.

# 13 mike1409 @ 05/03/08 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by therizing02
They're selling us on the better "college atmosphere?" Is it because of the better sidelines or maybe because we can celebrate with the mascot, oh wait, I can add my favorite indie rock track to the game when OSU scores a TD? I'm sorry, but are these producers absolutely braindead?! Please tell me how that equates to better presentation.

I just watched the Alabama/Auburn game, and based on that I'm somewhat optimistic about the gameplay, however you could have heard a pin drop in that stadium! It's ALA/AUB people!!! Add dynamic crowd reactions, team entrances, more sounds from the band, pre game shows, pre season review of the Top 25 by Herbstreit/Nessler/Corso.

Does that make more sense or does it make me a *****?
Maybe I and I repeat maybe, the sliders for crowd noise can help with this?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.