Home
Madden 09 News Post

GameStop has posted their Madden Mondays blog called Returning Missed Field Goals.

Quote:
"However, sometimes innovations in gameplay easily lend themselves to NFL authenticity. One of these Madden NFL 09 innovations is the ability to return missed field goals. Over the past couple of years, we've seen in the real-world NFL how a seemingly insignificant field-goal attempt can be turned into a momentum-changing, or even game-deciding, touchdown return."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 spankdatazz22 @ 05/05/08 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
You guys kill EA for everything though...

If it wasn't added you guys will complain.....

Now its added you guys are complaining thats its now added...lolol
EA is sort of bringing it on themselves in a way though. I understand they feel the need to top themselves yearly in terms of ways to hype the game, but I don't think it's necessary. This year they seem intent on detailing every little thing they've added to the game in the three months leading up to the game's release - this is the earliest we've ever had substantive information on the game at this stage. It's definitely welcome, but with this approach they have to find a way to sustain it. I can understand their approach, but it does come off as "look what we did" instead of taking the approach most developers seem to take in just detailing major additions and letting fans find out the little things that make games enjoyable. Can you imagine if Rockstar took this approach with GTA IV? They would've been talking every Monday for a couple years - at least.

Either way, it seems unnecessary given the quality of the game the past few years. But they seem to think they can move more copies giving people the equivalent of a bunch of sugar rushes versus a hearty meal with less frills. And for the most part, it's worked

# 22 SageInfinite @ 05/05/08 01:10 PM
EA is all about the big play, so it was inevitable that this would be added. The fundamentals are an after thought for EA.

# 23 Nza @ 05/05/08 02:12 PM
The first thing I thought with this is "jeez, I hope this isn't abused some how". It's a nice little feature and the type of subtle feature I think 85 of could combine to make a significantly better game, but with these subtle 'happens once in a blue moon' features, you've always got to worry EA will overdo it so it comes to the forefront enough most casual gamers will notice it. This is something we shouldn't see very often - even the defense choosing this return formation is something we shouldn't see very often, really. Hopefully EA understand this. I know it's a somewhat negative thought but I can't say I'd be shocked to see the CPU choose this formation quite a few times per game, and also go for longer field goals just to give the gamer a chance to do it. The correct way would be to revamp the kicking system so it is more random and varied, but that is the long, realistic way to supplementing this feature. Making CPU teams try longer FG's and making CPU teams abuse the formation is the quick fix.

# 24 moose1619 @ 05/05/08 03:03 PM
If they do not program the field goal unit to cover the field on field goals this could result in big play locomotive. Heck highschool coaches teach kids this, I bet this had never crossed EA's mind.

# 25 ewto16 @ 05/05/08 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallfever
The graphics look pretty darn good. They really are approaching the first teaser they released of the game.
Are you drunk? This looks nothing like what EA should during the draft a long time ago.

# 26 ewto16 @ 05/05/08 04:56 PM
Is the ball dead on a FG attempt when it hits the ground? Doesn't the returner have to catch it in the air?

I wonder if EA will catch this??

# 27 twenty3 @ 05/05/08 05:59 PM
Honestly if they didnt market this as a feature and it was just in there that wouldve been cool, and people wouldnt have to talk bad about it. They shouldve made a gameplay video with it like the Randy Moss one and at the end of the series (video) someone tried to kick a field goal and somebody back there to take it to the house and do a celebration. they wouldnt have had to mention it as a feature but we know its there. IMO that wouldve been cool. Hell to tell u the truth in Madden 08 i always mess around and go back there by the goalpost to attempt to return a 73 yard field goal LOL! I do hope they turned the kicks down this year and make it harder cause since last august i have probably missed up to 15 field goal kicks (most because of the lag online) and turning down sliders didnt help 1 bit.

# 28 countryboy @ 05/05/08 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
Another "fluff" feature be EA instead of focusing on real gameplay innovations!

I wouldn't call it a "fluff" feature. Its part of the game. However, I believe that there are far more important things to address before returning Field Goal attempts. I am guessing this was something that wasn't all that difficult to implement, its a part of the game, and it can be promoted.

# 29 countryboy @ 05/05/08 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
EA is sort of bringing it on themselves in a way though. I understand they feel the need to top themselves yearly in terms of ways to hype the game, but I don't think it's necessary. This year they seem intent on detailing every little thing they've added to the game in the three months leading up to the game's release - this is the earliest we've ever had substantive information on the game at this stage. It's definitely welcome, but with this approach they have to find a way to sustain it. I can understand their approach, but it does come off as "look what we did" instead of taking the approach most developers seem to take in just detailing major additions and letting fans find out the little things that make games enjoyable. Can you imagine if Rockstar took this approach with GTA IV? They would've been talking every Monday for a couple years - at least.

Either way, it seems unnecessary given the quality of the game the past few years. But they seem to think they can move more copies giving people the equivalent of a bunch of sugar rushes versus a hearty meal with less frills. And for the most part, it's worked
Agreed.

I am hoping that they are holding out for something bigger that they'll announce closer to the release. But seeing as how this is linked with Gamestop, its nothing more than a marketying ploy to get more people into the Gamestop stores and pre-order the game.

# 30 Kevin26385 @ 05/05/08 06:58 PM
Since when does Hester have an arm band that almost touches his elbow?

Plus the stadium is messed up again..Probably due to the restrictions

# 31 countryboy @ 05/05/08 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev5890
Since when does Hester have an arm band that almost touches his elbow?

Since he got that Green Bay Packer tattoo...

# 32 blackngoldfan @ 05/05/08 07:23 PM
In a real game, FG’s are usually returned due to the opposing teams lack of awareness. With that being said, are they gonna “dumb down” the A.I. in those situations to give you a shot at returning a mised FG? If so, the kicking team is at a disadvantage. If not, why attempt a return if it's unlikely that you'll get to the original spot of the kick?

You should only be able to attempt really long field goals at the end of the Half or Gamewinning/tying situations AND the attempt can be no more than 10 yards over their personal best)

# 33 tehova @ 05/05/08 07:34 PM
I think i returned my first field goal in Nfl2k1 with R.W. Mcquarters. How is this something new?

# 34 blackngoldfan @ 05/05/08 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehova
I think i returned my first field goal in Nfl2k1 with R.W. Mcquarters. How is this something new?
Maybe because it's a "set" play as opposed to moving any random player back to field the ball.

# 35 Ram209 @ 05/05/08 08:33 PM
Quote:
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH You might get yelled at for calling out a "new" feature that was an after thought in a game 7 YEARS AGO.

# 36 ODogg @ 05/05/08 08:42 PM
I agree with a lot of you that this is a nice feature that EA shouldn't really be hyping because it should be a given that it's in the game (but honestly is this nugget of info 3 months before the game releases "hyping"?). However, I will also say it's quite annoying that everytime EA does the right thing and fixes or adds something, small or otherwise, that there is a big tribe of people who come out to say the infamous "why are they adding or fixing xxxx when they should be working on xxxx?!?!".

Example: In the past few years we've seen people saying why did they fix such and such instead of working on online leagues? Then this year EA adds online leagues and I see people typing the infamous "why are they working on online leagues instead of **fill in another issue***?!"

It honestly is quite ridiculous because EA needs to fix a lot of things to make the game right and just because they don't fix the things you deem most important, in the order you deem correct, doesn't meant it's not something they needed, at some point, to fix to make a better game. The bottom line is nearly everyone says basic things about the game need fixed and this is a basic thing that should be fixed so it should be a positive thing it's being fixed, not an occasion to whine. I mean my God, complaining about EA fixing a basic game issue that does need fixed is just plain silly.

# 37 ODogg @ 05/05/08 08:43 PM
Quote:
wrong forum

Here's a link to the 2k forum for you though

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...o-football-2k/

# 38 Ram209 @ 05/05/08 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I mean my God, complaining about EA fixing a basic game issue that does need fixed is just plain silly.
God did not do this Odogg EA did

# 39 Kevin26385 @ 05/05/08 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree with a lot of you that this is a nice feature that EA shouldn't really be hyping because it should be a given that it's in the game (but honestly is this nugget of info 3 months before the game releases "hyping"?). However, I will also say it's quite annoying that everytime EA does the right thing and fixes or adds something, small or otherwise, that there is a big tribe of people who come out to say the infamous "why are they adding or fixing xxxx when they should be working on xxxx?!?!".

Example: In the past few years we've seen people saying why did they fix such and such instead of working on online leagues? Then this year EA adds online leagues and I see people typing the infamous "why are they working on online leagues instead of **fill in another issue***?!"

It honestly is quite ridiculous because EA needs to fix a lot of things to make the game right and just because they don't fix the things you deem most important, in the order you deem correct, doesn't meant it's not something they needed, at some point, to fix to make a better game. The bottom line is nearly everyone says basic things about the game need fixed and this is a basic thing that should be fixed so it should be a positive thing it's being fixed, not an occasion to whine. I mean my God, complaining about EA fixing a basic game issue that does need fixed is just plain silly.

Exactly, its getting insane. Some people always complained about how lazy EA was..And when they add things..You guys get upset.

# 40 K_GUN @ 05/05/08 09:01 PM
it's cool that this is added

But

why call it out/showcase it

like the 'bobble-catch' animation....hope we don't see that 6 times a game

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.