Home
Madden 09 News Post

GameSpot has posted their updated impressions of Madden NFL 09

Quote:
"A common theme from EA's Season Opener event was the ability to customize the gaming experience in this year's crop of games based on your skill level. In no game is this more true than in Madden 09."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SageInfinite @ 05/09/08 11:43 AM
At least we can turn it off, but why would they even waste time on this. SMH @ EA/Tiburon.

# 22 Ram209 @ 05/09/08 11:44 AM
"Madden 09 won't expect you to remember this analytic advice for the next applicable instance, either. Instead, the game will provide you with the ability to "rewind" the last play and attempt to correct the error immediately. Because this will clearly be a powerful tool, use of the rewind feature is limited to three per game by default and can be adjusted in the settings for more or fewer depending on your personal preference. In addition to giving you a second opportunity to cash in on a big play, rewind can be used on defense to negate your opponent's home-run ball. It's your choice whether to use rewinds to jump to capitalize on early opportunities or save them to put away your opponent in the fourth quarter. Unranked online games will offer three rewinds per player by default, but the feature will not be available during ranked matches."

You have got to be kidding me!!!! So let me get this straight I am playing a friend online and its tied 21-21 30 seconds left he scores to take the lead, BUT wait I choose to rewind the play so its a do-over WTF!!!! Please someone tell me Im missing something here

# 23 mdgoalie37 @ 05/09/08 12:06 PM
For some reason the link won't open the page, did anyone see a mention of the accelerated clock in the article? I am glad that in-game saves made it.

Don't get too riled up over this rewind thing, it can be turned off - heck, golf games have had mulligan features since day 1.

# 24 coogrfan @ 05/09/08 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageTheInfinite
At least we can turn it off, but why would they even waste time on this. SMH @ EA/Tiburon.
Because they are trying to make the game more accessible to less experienced gamers?

It's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. If you don't like it, turn it off.

# 25 SageInfinite @ 05/09/08 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
Because they are trying to make the game more accessible to less experienced gamers?
I figured that's what the lower difficulty levels were for. Plus they've also added the Madden IQ feature. It's just a waste of time IMO.

# 26 bkrich83 @ 05/09/08 02:49 PM
I'll be honest while I am pretty excited for NCAA to hit shelves, I really could care less when or if I get Madden.

# 27 bkrich83 @ 05/09/08 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Why? Do you like college football so much more.
No not really. To be honest I really don't know why. It was the same thing last year, while I had some fun with Madden last year, I just never played it. But I played the crap out of NCAA.

I really can't explain it, but with Madden I just could care either way whether I play it or not.

# 28 coogrfan @ 05/09/08 03:08 PM
Quote:
I figured that's what the lower difficulty levels were for. Plus they've also added the Madden IQ feature. It's just a waste of time IMO.
Sometimes you need to look at things from a perspective other than your own.

It's not intended for you, or me, or anyone who would be likely to be posting on a sports gaming site. The target audience is those folks who love football but find video games intimidating. It's a way of helping them learn from their mistakes, and to keep them playing instead of giving up in frustration.

# 29 bkrich83 @ 05/09/08 03:10 PM
Quote:

It's not intended for you, or me, or anyone who would be likely to be posting on a sports gaming site. The target audience is those folks who love football but find video games intimidating. It's a way of helping them learn from their mistakes, and to keep them playing instead of giving up in frustration.
Yeah I can see it that way. I think that makes perfect sense.

# 30 mdgoalie37 @ 05/09/08 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
No not really. To be honest I really don't know why. It was the same thing last year, while I had some fun with Madden last year, I just never played it. But I played the crap out of NCAA.

I really can't explain it, but with Madden I just could care either way whether I play it or not.

I am a much bigger NFL fan than college football, but I probably have played NCAA more than Madden in the last 2 seasons. I expect more from Madden and obviously I've been disappointed. I don'y worry as much about stats in NCAA so therefore I can let more go. NFL games generally have 150-300 passing yards and 80-150 rushing yards per team, every team, every game. In college the numbers are over the place.

# 31 Rocky @ 05/09/08 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83

Exact same way with me. I barely played Madden, but put in 8 years with my UAB/South Carolina dynasty (before it got corrupted ). Thing is, I thought Madden's gameplay was a bit better than NCAA....but I had no incentive to play it over NCAA at least I had fun with my dynasty.

Thinking about going the same route this year unless Madden really picks up (APF for an online league/NCAA for dynasty play).

# 32 SageInfinite @ 05/09/08 06:15 PM
Quote:

I understand who its for and its still a dumb feature and a waste of time imo.

# 33 nxt @ 05/09/08 06:59 PM
I have questions with the whole Madden IQ. I'm wondering how exactly it will work. How is it supposed to adjust to ea. individual play style and/or gamer level? How will it affect sliders? The whole thing seems kinda vague.

# 34 SageInfinite @ 05/09/08 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
I have questions with the whole Madden IQ. I'm wondering how exactly it will work. How is it supposed to adjust to ea. individual play style and/or gamer level? How will it affect sliders? The whole thing seems kinda vague.
Yea and I'm wondering how it works playing against different teams. If I'm going to have the raiders play like the patriots because I scored a high IQ, then there's going to be another new feature I wont use.

# 35 countryboy @ 05/09/08 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
I am hoping you can bypass it somehow and stick with slider adjustments to make the game play the way you feel most comfortable.

I see more negatives from this feature than positives.

# 36 nxt @ 05/09/08 07:35 PM
Quote:
Yea and I'm wondering how it works playing against different teams. If I'm going to have the raiders play like the patriots because I scored a high IQ, then there's going to be another new feature I wont use.
Exactly, the way it sounds - the Madden IQ will adjust the CPU IA to the each User by making the game just challenging enough for that User. As the User gets better, the CPU AI will get better. But I don't want all teams to play at the same level. Playing against the Patriots shouldn't feel the same as playing the Falcons.

In fact, I wish the teams in Madden had more of an identity... offensively, defensively, in special teams, etc. For example, teams like Pittsburgh or Tampa should have solid D, while teams like Cleveland or Cincinnati would not. The 49ers should stink it up on offense, while Indy would be explosive on offense. The Jaguars should be able to pile up yards on the ground... and the Ravens should have a solid against the run. I think part of the reason I get bored with Madden is that it feels like all teams play the same, unlike the NCAA series.

# 37 countryboy @ 05/09/08 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
Exactly, the way it sounds - the Madden IQ will adjust the CPU IA to the each User by making the game just challenging enough for that individual. As the User gets better, the CPU AI will get better. But I don't want all teams to play at the same level. Playing against the Patriots shouldn't feel the same as playing the Falcons.

In fact, I wish the teams in Madden had more of an identity... offensively, defensively, in special teams, etc. For example, teams like Pittsburgh or Tampa should have solid D, while teams like Cleveland or Cincinnati would not. The 49ers should stink it up on offense, while Indy would be explosive on offense. The Jaguars should be able to pile up yards on the ground... and the Ravens should have a solid against the run. I think part of the reason I get bored with Madden is that it feels like all teams play the same, unlike the NCAA series.
agreed 100%.

# 38 SageInfinite @ 05/09/08 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt
Exactly, the way it sounds - the Madden IQ will adjust the CPU IA to the each User by making the game just challenging enough for that User. As the User gets better, the CPU AI will get better. But I don't want all teams to play at the same level. Playing against the Patriots shouldn't feel the same as playing the Falcons.

# 39 ODogg @ 05/09/08 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt

I agree, really it all boils down to one simple thing though - how quickly does the AI adapt? I doubt (I hope anyways) it is not going to attempt to adjust the AI based on a short term basis, or the problems you describe above will come true. However if it looks at the long term gameplay of a user it should work well and be an enjoyable new feature.

# 40 K_GUN @ 05/10/08 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxt

curious....IF u choose to 'control' all 32 teams in franchise mode...can u set up each team's game plan to their tendencies?

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.