Home
Madden 09 News Post

Gamestop has posted week 5 of their Madden Monday series. This week they talk about a new camera view.

Quote:
"You may have run into this scenario in previous versions of Madden NFL. Your receivers are spread out over the field and an assigned route takes one of them just off of the screen. You think he's open; so you pass that way. Since you can't see him, you're not quite sure if the corner is barreling down on him, if he fell down, or if you're completing a pass to the guy holding the down marker. The producers at EA SPORTS have given us another inside scoop on the biggest Madden NFL camera overhaul yet, the all-new ActionCam camera, which will put an end to that problem."

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 poster @ 05/15/08 09:57 AM
So there are only two camera options in game? Only the garbage cam from last year and this new cam? Am I incorrect in assuming that from reading the blog?

# 62 seanmac @ 05/15/08 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Well just to clarify what I meant, I didn't mean that the OL should just stand there and do absolutely nothing, as you say they should be looking on a swivel to assist if needed. My point was that in the pics they show, there really is not any defenders that I saw that the guys should be moving to pick up. It looks like they have the situation under control.

I do 100% agree Madden needs work in this area, just saying that a lot of people seem to berate certain things about the game that aren't perfect but aren't as flawed as they like to mock the game about.
No, it's a serious, serious problem. After spending a lot of time flipping back and forth between NFL games and the replay modes in Madden and APF, I'd say that the passing physics/quarterback drops and animations, the OL/DL interaction and the blocking AI and the WR/CB interaction at the line of scrimmage and down the field are problems 1, 1A and 1B, and that they are all major problems. Having hand towels? Now that's a minor problem. But much of Madden simply doesn't simulate what it is supposed to be simulating.

# 63 seanmac @ 05/15/08 10:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
I'm not sure what you mean here. I know I saw numerous instances in Madden 08 (360) where 2 players would double team a dl at the snap, and then depending on the situation one of those players would slide off and block someone at the next level.
On run blocks. It literally never happens in pass protection.

# 64 Pared @ 05/15/08 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmac
On run blocks. It literally never happens in pass protection.
This is very true. Pass protection has had the same blocking for what seems like years.

# 65 BezO @ 05/15/08 11:14 AM
Quote:
Well just to clarify what I meant, I didn't mean that the OL should just stand there and do absolutely nothing, as you say they should be looking on a swivel to assist if needed. My point was that in the pics they show, there really is not any defenders that I saw that the guys should be moving to pick up. It looks like they have the situation under control.
Yeah, but they shouldn't be waiting for someone to defeat a block before they help. The idea is to go double someone if you don't have anyone to block... at least that's how my coaches taught. If my highschool OL coach saw someone standing around like that on film, they'd be doing machine gun drills the next practice. My coach wanted you hitting someone, even it was just a punch to help the initial blocker control the defender.

From what I've seen in the NFL, linemen never stand around. Even on a 3-man rush, everyone is blocking someone.

Quote:
I do 100% agree Madden needs work in this area, just saying that a lot of people seem to berate certain things about the game that aren't perfect but aren't as flawed as they like to mock the game about.
I don't think this is one of the things over criticized. I've seen lineman standing around like that while the QB took a sack. They don't go to help until it's too late, if at all. The blocking AI has been pretty bad in the past. They have a long way to go if this is supposed to look like what we see on Sundays.

Maybe folks won't feel the need to drop back 20 yards if they could trust all of their linemen to block someone.

# 66 BigD @ 05/15/08 11:20 AM
That grass sure looks good.

# 67 Pared @ 05/15/08 11:22 AM
you would think this was a forum full of cows with so many comments on the grass.

# 68 roadman @ 05/15/08 01:16 PM
The grass does look good.

# 69 IStillDoWhatIDo @ 05/15/08 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
you would think this was a forum full of cows with so many comments on the grass.
lol. I bet cows would love to graze that 09 grass

# 70 ODogg @ 05/15/08 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Yeah, but they shouldn't be waiting for someone to defeat a block before they help. The idea is to go double someone if you don't have anyone to block... at least that's how my coaches taught. If my highschool OL coach saw someone standing around like that on film, they'd be doing machine gun drills the next practice. My coach wanted you hitting someone, even it was just a punch to help the initial blocker control the defender.

From what I've seen in the NFL, linemen never stand around. Even on a 3-man rush, everyone is blocking someone.

I don't think this is one of the things over criticized. I've seen lineman standing around like that while the QB took a sack. They don't go to help until it's too late, if at all. The blocking AI has been pretty bad in the past. They have a long way to go if this is supposed to look like what we see on Sundays.

Maybe folks won't feel the need to drop back 20 yards if they could trust all of their linemen to block someone.
All good points, the reason I remember this so vividly from high school is I would often have no one to block as a guard, so i'd go to help the center out, a LB would do a delay blitz and sack the qb and then i'd get yelled at to hold my position and only assist if it was apparent the center would get beat. But i know what you mean. I've been sacked many times in the game when a blitzer goes by some doofus standing there and not being smart. Really tha is what it boils down to. With that being said I think my original point still stands, there is nothing wrong with the blocking in those screenshots as no help is needed, it appears to be solid protection along the wall.

# 71 bigmoe @ 05/15/08 06:37 PM
I do like how the screen looks, but how it plays will wait to see some vids....promising.
My question is if it works on offense how does it play out when your on defense?

# 72 sj3981 @ 05/16/08 04:22 AM
I like this new camera a lot from seeing the screens and the quick write-up on it. Let's just hope its responsive enough to the actual situations playing out on the field. For example, i hope the camera can take into account the degree to which a quarterback roles out. This seems like it will make controlling a player in the secondary a lot better as well.

# 73 Jukeman @ 05/16/08 10:09 AM
Quote:
All good points, the reason I remember this so vividly from high school is I would often have no one to block as a guard, so i'd go to help the center out, a LB would do a delay blitz and sack the qb and then i'd get yelled at to hold my position and only assist if it was apparent the center would get beat. But i know what you mean. I've been sacked many times in the game when a blitzer goes by some doofus standing there and not being smart. Really tha is what it boils down to. With that being said I think my original point still stands, there is nothing wrong with the blocking in those screenshots as no help is needed, it appears to be solid protection along the wall.

yea nuffin really wrong there.. like you said if you help when not needed, other team could pick that up and start doin delay blitzes...suppose to protect your area on pass plays dats wat i was told at HS AND JUCO...played RB BTW

# 74 Jukeman @ 05/16/08 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO

all good points but on RUN plays if u dont have anyone to block u go hit somebody....Pass plays u just form a pocket and yea if you r at LT and your LG is getting beat by a Dlineman and you at LT have no one to help then yes it would b wise to dbl him....Speakin for Madden the Video game they could easily fix this but I bet it would piss alot of you off becuz first of all u get toooo much time in the pocket...if you r dropping back 20 yards LOL that should easily be a sack....unless a olineman is a all-pro lineman he should not be able to blk some1 that long without getting beat...like madden said "holding happens almost every play" why? becuz olineman always get beat in the NFL its all about how long u can blk him for this is why u see 3 step drop backs!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.