Home
Madden 09 News Post

Pasta Padre has posted his hands-on Madden NFL 09 impressions.

Quote:
"The pass defense does a great job defending the deep ball, and more so specifically the “jump” catches. Those spectacular catches from last year and the ones where a receiver sets and jumps straight up are usually negated by the defensive back swatting the ball, picking it off, or jarring the ball loose with a hit. The DB’s get high into the air to make plays and keep good position. Despite that I was able to complete a couple deep balls over the top when the receiver had a step or two advantage. It felt very fair when a deep pass was completed and I didn’t feel cheated one way or the other. Something neat is you’ll see the QB really get into a deep throw, lean back and throw it up higher than we have been used to. Looks much more natural in getting the power behind it and requires the QB have the time to do it."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
same here, although I rarely adjust sliders. May have to adjust the kickoff power and FG length sliders though.
Sounds that way...I normally adjust the kicking and tone down QB accuracy. Minor tweaks is all really. Madden doesn't exactly have the most extensive slider set in the world

# 22 Nza @ 05/31/08 11:10 AM
Rarely adjust sliders? I envy you. I usually spend months getting a set that will let me play franchise mode without dominating every season. Most years I never really find a set capable of this. Lately on PC though I have some pretty good ones.

# 23 adembroski @ 05/31/08 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Sounds that way...I normally adjust the kicking and tone down QB accuracy. Minor tweaks is all really. Madden doesn't exactly have the most extensive slider set in the world
Once or twice I've heard whispers of something like "advanced sliders"... maybe it was just Ian waxing on the future.

# 24 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Once or twice I've heard whispers of something like "advanced sliders"... maybe it was just Ian waxing on the future.
Yeah, I've heard it mentioned too. Hopefully they get beefed up, but not until they are tuned right. I don't want to have a million options staring me in the face, but they don't work. It would just be a giant tease...lol. I'll admit, I'm more hopeful about this game being a huge step in the right direction because of Ian and co. I'm not completely sold on the game yet, but I'm sold on the effort, which is an important start

# 25 countryboy @ 05/31/08 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Rarely adjust sliders? I envy you. I usually spend months getting a set that will let me play franchise mode without dominating every season. Most years I never really find a set capable of this. Lately on PC though I have some pretty good ones.
The only sliders that I have adjusted the past few years is the FGL/FGA sliders. I usually drop them to half of where they are at default. Last year, I adjusted the kickoff power slider.

And its rare that I'll adjust sliders. I feel that once I start adjusting, then it becomes a game in itself. Meaning that I am playing the game to see if my adjustments are working instead of playing to enjoy the game.

# 26 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 11:30 AM
Quote:
The only sliders that I have adjusted the past few years is the FGL/FGA sliders. I usually drop them to half of where they are at default. Last year, I adjusted the kickoff power slider.

And its rare that I'll adjust sliders. I feel that once I start adjusting, then it becomes a game in itself. Meaning that I am playing the game to see if my adjustments are working instead of playing to enjoy the game.
That's actually a good point. I've made myself more disappointed with a few games by overexposing some things that I hadn't noticed because of sliders. Then I spend games picking stuff apart. it's kind of like being in the Naval Aviation community and watching Top Gun...

# 27 Nza @ 05/31/08 11:38 AM
The thing is though, if you just aren't finding the game challenging enough, adjustments are a must. I agree, they can be a game within a game and they can consume how you play, but if the next option is just not playing the game anymore because franchise mode is boringly easy, it's not really an option but to try. And the reason I keep trying is because I have found some success, but honestly I don't usually spend that much time on it - I find a set I like and perhaps make some slight changes. That usually works.

# 28 countryboy @ 05/31/08 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
The thing is though, if you just aren't finding the game challenging enough, adjustments are a must. I agree, they can be a game within a game and they can consume how you play, but if the next option is just not playing the game anymore because franchise mode is boringly easy, it's not really an option but to try. And the reason I keep trying is because I have found some success, but honestly I don't usually spend that much time on it - I find a set I like and perhaps make some slight changes. That usually works.
I'm not telling anyone not to adjust sliders or that the game is more enjoyable playing default. Its just how I view adjusting sliders.

Thats the great thing about having sliders in the games nowadays, they can help people tweak the game to their comfort/enjoyment level. And those that don't want or feel the need to adjust sliders, don't have to.

# 29 countryboy @ 05/31/08 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
Per Pasta's post about EA needing to open up the running game explains why most/almost all vids are PASS HAPPY!! Bottom-line, from what I am seeing the running game will barely exist. Let alone the RB animation we saw in the animation vids.

I am happy about what I am seeing from Madden this year. But, they need to get a running game in order to call this years game a complete football sim.
Like I said, I would like for pasta to clarify what he means. Playing on All-Madden and averaging 4 yards a carry doesn't seem that bad to me.

Maybe I am misunderstanding his original comment.

# 30 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 12:36 PM
Quote:
Like I said, I would like for pasta to clarify what he means. Playing on All-Madden and averaging 4 yards a carry doesn't seem that bad to me.

Maybe I am misunderstanding his original comment.
Yeah, he said running was consistent and gains could be made. He was just concerned about the seeming lack of big plays in the running game. Hopefully that is due to fairly limited time with the game and more balanced running. Big gains don't happen every game (for most teams) so hopefully it's a challenge to break one, not impossible. We'll have to wait and see.

# 31 countryboy @ 05/31/08 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Yeah, he said running was consistent and gains could be made. He was just concerned about the seeming lack of big plays in the running game. Hopefully that is due to fairly limited time with the game and more balanced running. Big gains don't happen every game (for most teams) so hopefully it's a challenge to break one, not impossible. We'll have to wait and see.
thats what I am hoping as well.

# 32 bucs44 @ 05/31/08 12:39 PM
Could this be the first football game I buy since nfl2k5....wait and see

# 33 countryboy @ 05/31/08 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
What up CB!

Even to support Past's comment, the vids really don't show any running game what so ever. Have you seen any? When I did see a run it was that god aweful hit from behind and let me carry the defender on my back a few yards animation (they need to get rid of that).
I haven't watched the vids.

# 34 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvesdereuter
Huge red flag here. It says theres a problem with the blocking, dumbing down the HUM players, psychic defense is ineffect, or the dreaded speed cheats. The same old thing.
You've seemed to be able to read an aweful lot into that statement. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I don't see how an entire list of "cheats" or glitches can be drawn from that satement.

# 35 countryboy @ 05/31/08 12:54 PM
Quote:
Huge red flag here. It says theres a problem with the blocking, dumbing down the HUM players, psychic defense is ineffect, or the dreaded speed cheats. The same old thing.
thats what it said?!!!!

Damn, I just got that he was able to run the ball effectively, but not able to bust open a big gain. Also, I noticed it said "limited amount of time with the game"

# 36 countryboy @ 05/31/08 01:00 PM
Quote:
We are talking about Madden right? Since when have those not been prevalent in Madden?
so you really didn't get all that from that one statement. Thats good. I thought my reading comprehension skills were getting stale.

# 37 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 01:01 PM
Quote:
We are talking about Madden right? Since when have those not been prevalent in Madden?
Again, not saying Madden doesn't have problems. I just don't turn every statement made by anyone about the game into a "red flag" about the game. I haven't played the game, so I can't know...and neither can you. Anything we say about it would be pure conjecture...despite what we "know" from previous versions. Pasta's impressions were overall quite positive, but I'm sure that's a"red flag" also

Edit: My apologies for the negative tone of the above post. I normally don't let these things effect my responses. If you want to be negative about the game, it's your business. I just don't see the point of not being constructive about it. I, myself, am on the fence, but I do appreciate the obvious efforts made by EA (at least some of the devs) to try to get this game back on track

# 38 countryboy @ 05/31/08 01:03 PM
Quote:
Quote:
thats what it said?!!!!

Damn, I just got that he was able to run the ball effectively, but not able to bust open a big gain. Also, I noticed it said "limited amount of time with the game"
Quote:
No but he said he had the sense that long runs would be a problem. The same kind of language was applicable to NCAA 2005. You didnt have to spend much time with that game before you realized that that game was ridiculously tweaked to curb long runs...and the reason they did that was to make stats realistic as a way of hiding problems with gameplay.
am I mistaken or did you just disagree with yourself.

# 39 SoxFan01605 @ 05/31/08 01:15 PM
Quote:
Im not asking you to..or not to.

This remark is beyond dumb. Have I at any point said Ive played the game? This is pointing out the obvious. Does it make you feel better to affirm this by putting it into words...that Ive come to this conclusion based on not having played the game? What your missing is that I may not even want to play the game so what youre really saying is a moot point. When I see warning signs like this, I want to play it less and less. I dont have to play it before forming an opinion. EA isnt entitled to people giving it a chance. They need to step up.
Again (if you read my edit) my apologies for jumping down your neck. If you don't want to play it don't...I honestly don't mind either way. What I don't understand is the point of coming on a Madden forum (which currently-as in literally right now-has a Madden developer on here) and gripe about everything without any suggestion as to what you want. You claim they won't listen, yet when they ask for feedback "it's a waste of time." Isn't pointing out every flaw with no constructive feedback also a waste of time? Maybe it just depends on the individual.

# 40 Mostarac @ 05/31/08 01:22 PM
@SoxFan: Why do you even pay attention to this troll a.k.a yvesdereuter?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.