Home
News Post

GameSpot has posted their first look of NHL 09.

Quote:
"As with the Be a Pro mode in FIFA, when you're on the ice in NHL 09's Be a Pro mode, you'll be focused on your player alone, thanks to a third-person camera that will be focused tight (but not too tight) on your created player."

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BigH2k6 @ 06/06/08 01:17 PM
We get "Be A Pro" mode.

# 2 BigH2k6 @ 06/06/08 01:25 PM
New defensive "lift the stick" to stop one-timers. Chance to get a five minute major if you miss "lift the stick" and end up hitting your opponent in the head.

# 3 bad_philanthropy @ 06/06/08 01:28 PM
Love what I'm hearing. Hopefully it is all implemented properly. These guys have a great track record though the past two years so I'm sure it will be. It is also very smart how the calculate on-ice success for players in be a pro.

It seems like the borrowed heavily from The Show's RTTS mode, which is a great thing.

# 4 mdgoalie37 @ 06/06/08 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH2k6
New defensive "lift the stick" to stop one-timers. Chance to get a five minute major if you miss "lift the stick" and end up hitting your opponent in the head.
Very cool - um, can you miss 'lifting the stick' on purpose?

# 5 BrianFifaFan @ 06/06/08 02:55 PM
I'm feeling this game. Full 6 on 6? Cool.

# 6 ComaFaction @ 06/06/08 03:10 PM
fully functioning online leagues will be nice -- hope they go all out with this. Stoked!!!

# 7 Jgainsey @ 06/06/08 03:24 PM
Sounds great. Though I hate when game makers give a preview and say that they still have a massive awesome feature to reveal later on. It almost always ends up being a let down.

# 8 ianlast @ 06/06/08 03:34 PM
Can't say that I'm all that excited about the 'Be A Pro' feature, wasn't that big on it in FIFA 08.

One-handed dekes sounds awesome...this isn't just some hot-dog move, you actually see it quite often in 1-on-1 situations. Lift the stick sounds great too...although the 5 min major 'risk' could be problematic, I can see frustration similar to that associated with the slap-pass in 08. Hopefully it will be called judiciously.

Anyone else getting a vibe that Zdeno Chara might make cover? Just basing that off the title screen on Gamespot...if so that would be sweet, Big Z is one of my faves.

# 9 Scott @ 06/06/08 03:42 PM
Haven't picked up a hockey game in a while but may pick up this one.

# 10 bukktown @ 06/06/08 04:20 PM
I'm really looking forward to this one. The stick raising control on defense is something I was hoping for. And what intrigues me most is the defensive skill stick to better cover passing lanes.

Does this mean that they took checking off of the R-stick? Are they going to eliminate triggering checking with a button? I hope so. If they make checking controlled solely by the left stick and the momentum vs. mass of the players involved in the collision, I think that will be a good move forward akin to eliminating the speed burst button.

# 11 metallidevils @ 06/06/08 06:46 PM
Wonder what the massive feature they're talking about could be - I can't imagine anything massive that could be added to a hockey game.

Most of the tweaks seem small; but if the goalie mode is a lot better than last year, I'd definitely buy the game to create a goalie and play with him.

# 12 bukktown @ 06/06/08 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallidevils
Wonder what the massive feature they're talking about could be - I can't imagine anything massive that could be added to a hockey game.

Most of the tweaks seem small; but if the goalie mode is a lot better than last year, I'd definitely buy the game to create a goalie and play with him.
I wonder if it might be online franchise mode

# 13 Lubey @ 06/06/08 07:07 PM
I'm looking forward to Be A Pro mode. I played around with it a little in FIFA, but I think it would work better in hockey. There'd be a lot less random running around, since all 5 players should always be involved in the play, unlike soccer usually. You do sit on the bench, but it shouldn't be too bad. I also know how to play hockey a lot better than soccer, and I have a lot more faith in the NHL team than the FIFA team.

# 14 Bluebuds @ 06/06/08 07:40 PM
I wanna hear if the slap pass was removed and if the Goalies will actually make glove saves this year (Or not go down 5 seconds before the shot)

# 15 Qb @ 06/06/08 08:33 PM
I like the new defensive controls and Be a Pro should be a nice diversion from franchise play. Here's hoping that they improve the online leagues (player stat tracking!?) and various AI issues that need to be improved, notably neutral zone play & positioning. If 6-on-6 plays well, we need to get some good games through OS. I had fun playing 3-on-3 with my friend and randoms and I can't imagine the chaos that would ensue with every skater (not to mention goalies) being human controlled. Can't wait!!!

# 16 Seahawk76 @ 06/06/08 08:36 PM
The Be A Pro mode in FIFA 08 wasn't a career mode like this will be. This is more like Captain Your Country in UEFA 2008 and RTTS in The Show. I like modes like this that allow you to build up a player through his career although I'm not sure how much I'll like sitting on the bench between shifts, though.

The online 6 on 6 should be awesome.

# 17 mdgoalie37 @ 06/06/08 09:33 PM
A few things I'd like to see:

- The have the Winter Classic be part of the schedule, outside, with weather effects.

- I'm generally not one for mini games, but I'd like to see an outdoor shinny game on a smaller rink, maybe 2 on 2 or 3 on 3, plus a goalie. This would be fun online as well.

- The ability to play any game, ala Madden and NCAA.

And a few issues to fix:

- Collision detection / clipping. Way too many times I've seen a CPU players stick or skate go right through one of my players stick or leg. And the puck too. Playing D is tough enough, please give me credit when I am actually positioned correctly.

- Line Changes. Besides separate changes for the forwards and D, have them actually come off the ice correctly. I will dump a puck in and call a change and the guys just don't come off.

# 18 voodoo_magic @ 06/06/08 09:40 PM
Can't wait to play be a pro mode, love rtts in mlb the show but like Seahawk said if I'm a 4th liner and only play 7 min it's going to take longer to get through the ahl games then I would like.

Hope getting the stick in the passing lanes doesn't cause tripping penalties like 08 does.

And the massive feature is probably separate sliders for human/cpu...lol

# 19 MizzouRah @ 06/06/08 09:45 PM
[drool]NHL09[/drool]

# 20 Lubey @ 06/06/08 10:33 PM
Hopefully they add a way for your player to adjust his body so the defense can't lift their stick. It'd be annoying if the offensive player was just helpless to it.

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.