Home
News Post

The following sites have posted NBA Live 09 previews:
  • IGN
    "The first thing that players will be introduced to is the NBA Live Academy, which will act as the hub for all activity within the game. Essentially a practice facility for your favorite team, this gym features two full courts where your team will work on skills, such as their jump shots and defensive plays. To further help you with your game, you'll find a number of assistants and the head coach scattered around the court observing your practice and your moves. By taking a player over to one of these coaches, you can work on one of 40 separate skill challenges designed to get you accustomed to NBA Live 09's new gameplay mechanics."
  • GameSpot
    "The most important animation tweak this year, however, may actually be a fix to an issue that plagued NBA Live 08. Many of you have probably experienced the frustration of being stuck in an animation in NBA Live 08 where you could do nothing but watch as your player was forced out of bounds. This year's game addresses that issue in two ways. First, the addition of sideline contextual animations, such as leaning up against the defender while tight roping the sideline, should eliminate many of these turnovers. Essentially, there is a soft barrier that prevents animations from taking you out of bounds (though you can still run out of bounds on your own accord). Second, NBA Live 09 gives you the ability to break out of driving animations such as this at any time by disengaging from the defender (left analog away from the defender). Between the two additions, there should be much less cause for ripping out your hair this year."
  • 1UP
    "If we sound relatively unimpressed, it's because we expected more in its second year of rebuilding. On the positive side, we dug the expansion of FIBA (from eight last year to 24 this year) that will also have stat tracking, an MVP award at the end of tourneys, and the trapezoidal key. We're also up for the Be a Pro mode that has been featured in FIFA 08 and was nicely tweaked for UEFA Euro 2008. And as for the animations, it's a huge positive that dunks now look fluid (last year they were janky as all get out). But in the end, we didn't see that spark that makes us want to leap at the controller. Maybe we'll take a different stance once we get our hands on it."

Game: NBA Live 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
NBA Live 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 23 @ 06/17/08 07:52 PM
taking it too far will get you an infraction

now, THIS IS BELUBA ALL THE WAY!

Quote:
Yes, you will be able to assign a number of different animation styles to your created players. You can pick an overall package style if you'd like. For example, all of Chris Paul's animation styles for your created player. Or you can select individual animation styles for each type of animation for your created player. For example: Kobe Bryant's dunking style, Lebron James' go to move, Rip Hamilton's free throw shooting routine, Shawn Marion's jump shot style, etc.

# 22 stizz @ 06/17/08 09:14 PM
Quote:
Outside of that, FIBA Mode returns with 24 separate teams that can be selected from around the world. These teams have their own courts and the AI abides by FIBA Rules, which can make it somewhat of a challenge for players accustomed to the NBA. In fact, players can take an NBA squad and pit them against a FIBA team to see which organization is better
Please let the Tall Blacks be in this year.

# 23 Sigma4Life @ 06/17/08 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDRE_OS
Do you guys like this idea?
I like the idea but I don't see why they had to pull pro-hops to do it. Why couldn't they map it to a different button?

# 24 jsg @ 06/18/08 01:37 AM
sounds really interesting. i really want to see this game in motion though. cant wait for the demo to drop

# 25 SeaNNyT @ 06/18/08 07:19 AM
Wow...can't wait for NBA 2K9

# 26 Pared @ 06/18/08 03:18 PM
Quote:
No

I hope this isnt like that trash in 2K5. It sounds just like it
This is something I'm curious to try out for myself.

With the looseness of the game's controls, I doubt they will be similar. I could be wrong, however, to the detriment of gamers everywhere.

# 27 Mintsa @ 06/18/08 03:32 PM
I'm surprised no cover athlete has been announced yet. I wonder what the hold up is ??

# 28 videobastard @ 06/18/08 05:07 PM
At least there is now a controlled shot release by the user. How that was not in 08 is beyond me... It sounds like it will play similiar to last year but with playcalling, and new modes. I would of rather heard that the animations are much better then last year and players do not look robotic.

# 29 23 @ 06/18/08 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
This is something I'm curious to try out for myself.

With the looseness of the game's controls, I doubt they will be similar. I could be wrong, however, to the detriment of gamers everywhere.

Please find out. I hope to God that they didnt implement those canned animations and make you play "guess where"

# 30 luv_mist @ 06/18/08 09:57 PM
Quote:
Do you guys like this idea?
I like how it sounds but my imagination isn't exactly reality. I'm definitely more interested in how this game plays. It's closer to a buy/try than a watch the impressions. SO far, the body models look better because they're filling out the little things and making differetn body parts thicker like they should be in comparison to their real-life counterparts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stizz
Please let the Tall Blacks be in this year.
What are the Tall Blacks??

# 31 Jonesy @ 06/18/08 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv_mist
What are the Tall Blacks??
That is the name of the New Zealand basketball team. Their rugby side is called the "all blacks" (As in all black jersey's etc) so the tall blacks is a play on that.

The best possible thing for the live franchise is to get those guys that actually seem to know and love the sport of basketball like Mike W working on this. I think their problem in the past is that they have talented computer programers working on it who probably haven't played a game of bball in their lives. It's the only way i can explain why the last few editions have looked beautiful but played nothing like real basketball.

# 32 luv_mist @ 06/19/08 11:25 AM
I just want to know why they went away from the Freestyle control and crippled the dribbling system instead of improving on the freestyle to a level comparable to 2k's dribbling system? That is one of the biggest questions I've had since they moved it.

# 33 23 @ 06/19/08 09:22 PM
They feel the quickstrike is a progression of freestyle. I disagree, but thats just MO

# 34 23 @ 06/20/08 01:50 PM
What is OTP

# 35 Pared @ 06/20/08 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81
So the whole idea of ankle-breakers is ridiculous. Sure they happen in real life but shouldn't be the only way you separate from the defender.
Don't buy into the name as that's mostly for marketing to the public; It looks to be just a way of separating yourself from the defender in the same way you're asking.

# 36 Mhancock @ 06/26/08 04:46 PM
I don't see a downside to the improvements to be honest. I took two years off of NBA live until 08 and I was impressed with what I took from it. This years should be better with the improved animations and the FIBA 24 team expansions. Too bad we still can't import draft classed from March Madness.

# 37 streetballa1555 @ 06/27/08 06:41 PM
I am most excited about the new playcalling system and the lockdown stick addition, I was wondering when they were going to add this since the MM series had this since 07. I just hope it is not as "clingy" as in MM. Kind of like the right stick down in Live 08 where they kinda going into a defensive stance and make it so it is like 2k's lockdown or whatever you call it. I personally want this kinda system incorporated also into NBA 2k as this is the way they play in real life. The action just flows and it's not as set as NBA 2k. I think 2k has always had that kinda scripted feeling when running plays.

# 38 edubbs @ 06/29/08 09:00 AM
I'm glad that one of EA's main gameplay features for 09 is the pick and roll. Putting extensive focus on this part of the NBA game is long over due.

No game has implemented it correctly to this point IMO.

As a matter of fact, the AI utilizing the pick and roll is 'almost' non-existent in both games in comparison to how much it is used when watching real games.

The pick and roll is the main staple of most team's playbook IRL.

You see some variation of the play almost evertime down the court in the NBA. My hope is that the 'AI' is able to utilize it at the appropriate time AND with the right personnel in LIVE09.

For example I would love to see the cpu controlled Cavs utilizing the pick and pop with Big Z, the Suns using the pick and slip with Amare/Nash, and the Hornets and Jazz using the pick and roll with Dwill/Boozer and CP3 with whoever......

Who knows how well AND how often the cpu will be programmed to use this feature?

However If the 'AI' is tuned correctly with this new pick and roll feature, Live09 will be the 1st title to actually make the importance of executing AND defending the play relevant in a videogame.

# 39 23 @ 06/29/08 11:33 AM
Closest thing to it is in the video that Czar made last year I think when he was explaining the AI and used that Jason Terry/Dirk play from the right wing.

Beyond that, hopefully the AI will exploit the PnR much more which would be a beauty to see.

# 40 auburntigersfan @ 07/06/08 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
let the Wang perform its magic! LMAO

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.