Home
Madden 09 News Post

IGN has posted a super bowl video of Madden NFL 09.

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BrianFifaFan @ 07/07/08 09:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I'll be doing the normal cycle of:

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday = Madden

Thursday, Friday, Saturday = NCAA

Wednesday is a toss up.
The first step to overcoming addiction is to admit that you are powerless to overcome it and that it is ruining your life! LOL

# 22 countryboy @ 07/07/08 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
The first step to overcoming addiction is to admit that you are powerless to overcome it and that it is ruining your life! LOL
who says I want to overcome it?

# 23 BrianFifaFan @ 07/07/08 10:05 PM
Quote:
who says I want to overcome it?
Good point!

# 24 g2thecore @ 07/07/08 10:08 PM
I can't disagree with you guys....the game sure looks gorgeous. I can't wait.

# 25 BrianFifaFan @ 07/07/08 10:10 PM
Quote:

Wednesday is a toss up.
I was gonna say that you might want to make Madden Sunday, Monday and Thursday and have NCAA be every other night of the week. That's what ESPN would have you do!

# 26 SageInfinite @ 07/07/08 10:15 PM
Quote:

Wednesday is a toss up.

# 27 countryboy @ 07/07/08 10:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
I see that most of the week is covered. What day will SOME of you use to complain about spending money on a game that has not lived up to expectations of other games?
my guess is that if I am playing the game as much as I just listed, that I don't any reason to post complaints about spending money on a game that has not lived up to my expectations.

# 28 Spectre @ 07/07/08 10:53 PM
Nice stiff arm of a defensive tackle

# 29 frankplastictrees @ 07/07/08 11:10 PM
That graphics do look great, I just hope I can get the money saved in the next month for an HDtv.

# 30 myownsun @ 07/07/08 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinji
That graphics do look great, I just hope I can get the money saved in the next month for an HDtv.
Just get an lcd/crt monitor

# 31 BrianFifaFan @ 07/08/08 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONF
I have to agree. Folks on this thread are basically glossing over the DT getting ran over by a back who is no more than 200 lbs. This type of gameplay was all over 08 and usually is a canned animation. EA please show me a clip of Lawrence running over a DT in real life??

I am just being real and looking for the same from EA
Not to go all "fanboy" or make excuses, but wouldn't this kinda come under the reworking of OL/DL and tackling? I realize that should never happen, but this isn't really an issue that is new. It's one of those things that is being hashed through. I mean there's nothing wrong with pointing it out, but I'm pretty sure it's not a revelation of a previously unknown shortcoming...

P.S. Wanted to exound somemore. I'll be the first to admit that there's really a problem distinguishing between a SS or a DT, they pretty much are the same. This is something we all want fixed. Keep bringing stuff up, but have some ideas to add, too.

# 32 myownsun @ 07/08/08 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGmen56
That didn't look good.. Am I the only one who thought that looked like crap? Come on, while the graphics and player models looked good, the gameplay looked horrible!! Did anyone see the Oline on the left? All 3 Olinemen shifted to the left and did the exact thing! wow. Then the RB plows down a 300+ Dlinemen??? Come on Ian, tell me the game plays better than that... That looked like 2008 if u asked me.. Please tell me that 09 gameplay is better then what the Vid clip showed.. I hope that was an early beta clip, i mean early(2 years) seriously..
Quote:
Originally Posted by myownsun
WTF! the center/LG/LT all did the exact same animations as did Both DT's

Come on now Ea .... Still gotta take the good with the bad

Quote:
Everything looked good except the way marooney flipped a 300+ DL..... But i guess you gotta take the good with the bad.
I think the good could outweigh the bad

# 33 #85_on_a_mission @ 07/08/08 04:43 AM
Quote:
WTF! the center/LG/LT all did the exact same animations as did Both DT's

Come on now Ea .... Still gotta take the good with the bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGmen56
That didn't look good.. Am I the only one who thought that looked like crap? Come on, while the graphics and player models looked good, the gameplay looked horrible!! Did anyone see the Oline on the left? All 3 Olinemen shifted to the left and did the exact thing! wow. Then the RB plows down a 300+ Dlinemen??? Come on Ian, tell me the game plays better than that... That looked like 2008 if u asked me.. Please tell me that 09 gameplay is better then what the Vid clip showed.. I hope that was an early beta clip, i mean early(2 years) seriously..
My thoughts exactly. Yeah the graphics and lighting was nice but that is expected out of Next Gen titles nowadays. After a while...the beauty and the overall picture will become meaningless. However....the blocking in that video was terrible....certainly not next gen and wasnt real at all.

Okay vid I guess...hopefully these simple but common details will be fixed in the final version..but for some reason...my gut is telling me that they wont.

# 34 DGuinta1 @ 07/08/08 08:43 AM
Looks sweet! Go CowboyS!

# 35 ausar72 @ 07/08/08 10:49 AM
Looks good.... I, for one, love the endzones with the Super Bowl logo, instead of the team logos (too confusing).

Don't change that EA! Please!!!

# 36 mrvizcarrondo @ 07/08/08 01:44 PM
It does look good but myownsun was right, the animations just repeat themselves meaning nanos are still going to be a HUGH factor.

# 37 maddenps2 @ 07/08/08 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
I can't believe some if the replies in this thread. This game looks fantastic! The OL is suppossed to move in sync, in the NFL every OL coach train the players to move in sync with every player stepping at the same time. As far as the RB stiff arming the DT...like RB's don't routinely make those bigger slower guys look silly. Anyone remember M. Lynch just step out of a pile of defenders and go to the house last year??? How bout when A. Peterson broke six tackles on his way to the endzone (oh yea and the single game rushing record)???

Quit trying to find something wrong with the game. It's like some of you guys are looking for anything to be displeased with. We get it, EA messed up so far on Next-Gen. But Madden 09 is not those games, get over it man.
Theres a difference between a natural looking sync with the offensive lineman and the identical animations and approach and follow engagement blocking in the video. All 3 offensive lineman used the EXACT same animation, frame for frame, from the beginning to the end of the block. It looked really scripted, the defensive lineman also almost react in the exact same manner.

In real life while they would be in sync, but the way they move into the block, technique and engagement would be varied. Their arms, legs and the animations after engaging the different defensive lineman would be varied because the battle between different athletes differs because of various reason such as strength, weight, technique, balance, and angle of attack.

The sync in the video looks unnatural that would be obvious to anyone who watches it.

As for your defense of RB de-cleating and plowing over the defensive lineman. There are many problems with what happened in the video. First of all Maroney is running nearly straight up when he is approaching the incoming defender, he hits the dt while standing nearly straight up, the collision then de-cleats the 300 pound defensive lineman, yet there no reaction to Maroney's upper body from the collision.
Realistic?, huh, No reaction from a collision that de-cleated a defensive lineman outweighing maroney by 80 pounds, a collision in which he was standing straight up.

# 38 brewha202002 @ 07/10/08 04:15 PM
WOW! I cannot believe that only a handful of people noticed what happened on the OL in this video. I can live with the 300lb linemen gatting plowed over, but 3 OL doing the EXACT same animation in synch stuck out like a sore thumb. Wow, that was atrocious!

# 39 Exonerated @ 07/11/08 04:11 AM
Oh snap. Theres something wrong with madden. 3 linemen same animation.

Dealbreaker. Not buyin the game.

Zzz like every frame of every play is suppose to be perfect. It may be frustrating (to some), be really shouldn't be something to clamor over.

# 40 Ian_Cummings @ 07/11/08 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Oh snap. Theres something wrong with madden. 3 linemen same animation.

Dealbreaker. Not buyin the game.

Zzz like every frame of every play is suppose to be perfect. It may be frustrating (to some), be really shouldn't be something to clamor over.
I think I've been straightforward from day 1 that our blocking is not where we want it to be for 09, along with a few other areas. What you are seeing is exactly what I mean in that respect...the animation "coverage" is just really sub-par. Luckily all the work VJ has done last year and this year has improved logic and AI quite substantially, but the animation selection is our big remaining problem.

If a lack of true edge rushing looping animations and the possibility of synchronized OL get engaged moves are deal breakers for you, then I'd have to say 09 has all of that. However if you can get past those issues and take a look at the bigger picture, I think you'll be much more pleased. When I look at the game experience as a whole I feel we've definitely delivered a great product.

As for Maroney and the monster stiff-arm, that is mainly an animation bug. He "won" the stiff-arm check but he played the "Super-Win" animation instead of playing a more subdued one. I will check on that and see if that actually is in the final build, and if it is, look into addressing it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.