Home
Madden 09 News Post

The official Madden NFL 09 demo has been released. Please post your impressions here.

Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 481 kenlovin @ 08/06/08 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by laker8la
I agree with this sentiment. If Madden had a true pocket, then dropping back too far would result in getting sacked!
Yea I think that would even more realistic, if the line completely collapsed

# 482 the member @ 08/06/08 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
My personal opinion on this: It'll do almost no good. Guys that do that are running the same play 25 times a drive anyways, they already know which receiver is which.

The way it should work is to replicate what happens when a QB really does drop back too far... his passing lanes appear smaller, his linemen present more of an obstacle... the camera should drop the further back he goes, until it's basically at head level and he can't see anything.

Sure you'd lose sight of your defense if you're playing him, but this doesn't cripple you the way it does him, it just makes you take control of a defensive linemen for a short time instead of a DB or linebacker.
Actually when the icons drop he pretty much just throws it anywhere and not to any particular reciever.

I pressed B for a pass and he threw it to X because he was on the same side of the field as him.

# 483 sva91 @ 08/06/08 08:01 PM
Very unimpressive demo. Anyone who said the graphics are amazing are lying to themselves. Same ole, Same ole from EA. Its not bad, I just had higher expectations for it. Probably still end up buying it.

# 484 blklightning @ 08/06/08 08:34 PM
accuracy takes a big hit as well.

# 485 ChubbyBanana @ 08/06/08 09:18 PM
This is a great idea. I've noticed it.

Althought i don't think it will stop the cheeser problem, it adds something different to the game.

# 486 Artman22 @ 08/06/08 10:26 PM
I downloaded the demo on both the 360 and the ps3. Is it me or does the ps3 demo feel smoother? Animation wise?

# 487 babyfat9 @ 08/06/08 10:40 PM
It's no different from last years...other than more fluid running system.
Not very impressed with Next Gen Madden compared to Last Gen.

# 488 MiamiWarrior @ 08/06/08 10:59 PM
Sad thing is this won't stop cheesers so meh.

# 489 slappybrown @ 08/06/08 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netherscourge
Do the icons disappear for the people playing DEFENSE too?

If I'm playing defense and the Receiver icons disappear when the QB runs backward, it would be hard to keep track of who's a receiver and who's not...

Something like that might actually benefit the offense.
The defense still knows who is a receiver and who isn't simply because the only people who are not the original line of scrimmage still trying to block would be eligible receivers. If he's more than 5 yds downfield, he's a eligible receiver (unless Madden no longer applies the ineligible receiver down the field rule when programming its AI, which obviously isnt the case)

# 490 gbx34 @ 08/07/08 12:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
It's a terrible idea. QBs don't go blind when they drop back that far. Just fix the line play, slow down the drop back and let folks drop back as far as they want.

They also don't have buttons over there head in real life. You don't go blind when you drop back that far you can still see your receivers.

Cone passing! I want back.

# 491 Bornindamecca @ 08/07/08 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsinister11
what the hell is with throws to the sidelines? there are no toe drag animiations? ncaa did this beautifully and madden go's and screws it up.

half the time i throw the ball to the sideline they wouldn't even need a toe drag animation, just a normal catch would do, but the animation they do ends up taking them out of bounds.

nobody else noticed this?
Oh ho ho, you are not alone, my friend. I'm having a bitch of a time getting my tight ends to stay in bounds. I'm also seeing the dropped passes issue. For the sideline issue, the fix was the throw the ball really early, but I don't like this. My guys should have the intelligence to stay in bounds. There is no reason for guys to run out of bounds that way. I mean, I'm pulling and dragging and doing everything in my power, but these guys want to run out of bounds so very badly, that they cannot be convinced otherwise.

With the dropped passes, there are two solutions:
1) Do NOT press ANYTHING until your man secures the ball. Don't run before you catch it.

2)Take complete control of your reciever EARLY, and manage their position.

Guess so=squish like grape.

I'm definitely getting it, because the Giants won the superbowl, and on principle I have to have it. I can see that they've made a lot of changes. This feels night and day from Madden 07 on the 360, and that's good. I hope everything comes together for the final release since I'm getting it either way.

# 492 DocHolliday @ 08/07/08 12:47 PM
Played the demo last night.

I havent played Madden in a few years but It felt just like the last time i played with a few more animations.

The Sidelines are AWFUL.

# 493 Bornindamecca @ 08/07/08 06:30 PM
After playing for a while, I think I hate the passing more and more with every play. Sure, I can audible my way into a touchdown with Plax at any given moment, but I don't get any sense of control over the passing. The flats and slants are particularly bad. I can't stop Eli from throwing to the back shoulder of his receivers when they're going towards the sidelines and they keep doing these weird one handed animations where they turn and the ball bounces off of them. I've tried different button pressures, and it's just not resulting in a sharp looking pass or catch.

Either the passing system is horrible, or it's new and I need to have it explained to me. For me, the best part of a football game is reading the defense and throwing away from the defender into a tight little box. In this game, it seems like I either have to find the wide open man in the middle of the field or just hit Plaxico over the top, which feels arcadey and stupid.

If anyone has found any subtlety in the passing game, please let me know. Right now I'm seeing drops and awkward catches, even though my defensive reads are perfect.

# 494 adembroski @ 08/08/08 04:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the member
Actually when the icons drop he pretty much just throws it anywhere and not to any particular reciever.

I pressed B for a pass and he threw it to X because he was on the same side of the field as him.
Is this for the final build only? I tested it on the demo and was hitting my intended receivers in stride.

# 495 DocHolliday @ 08/08/08 09:21 AM
its the truth, the game really feels no different IMO then the last few years, or even back when i used to like the game on the original Xbox!

Im sure alot of things are changed, but I just cant feel it.

One thing I loved about APF was that you really knew who was the star on the field. The good players just felt different. You would serisouly think twice before throwing a pass to a reciever with Woodson covering him. It was awesome.

In this game everyone just kinda feels the same. No life.

AND THE SIDELINES ARE AWFUL.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.