Home
News Post

EA has released the FaceBreaker demo. Make sure you download it and post your impressions here.

FaceBreaker screenshot gallery - Click to view FaceBreaker screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: FaceBreakerReader Score: 3/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 7 - View All
FaceBreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Indiedog @ 08/01/08 12:46 PM
Played the demo a bunch of times and while I thought it was a bit light and too much of a button masher, I can see how this thing will sell when EA does the full marketing blitz upon its release. It's a catchy enough art style that people will buy it based on a 30 second TV spot. Basically this game seems to be trying to channel Punchout from the old NES days.

Oh, and I know for a fact that some of the EA developers have accounts here on OS and post as regular users. You guys try to figure out who's a mole on these boards.

# 22 ChaseB @ 08/01/08 01:21 PM
This is a multiplayer centric game so I'm not surprised some aren't feeling it. I still heart it a lot but then again I've been championing this game since E3. I think there is more depth than some are giving it credit for as well.

# 23 boomhauertjs @ 08/01/08 01:42 PM
Chase, I haven't played the demo yet (plan to tonight), but I've been intrigued by this game for while. I was a huge Punch-Out fan, but have never really gotten into the "sim" boxing games, so I think I'm going to like it. The custom boxers with photo downloads is what I think could give the title some extra shelf-life, but we'll see.

# 24 pastapadre @ 08/01/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
This is a multiplayer centric game so I'm not surprised some aren't feeling it. I still heart it a lot but then again I've been championing this game since E3. I think there is more depth than some are giving it credit for as well.
I actually was getting my *** kicked on easy when I first started, I literally thought maybe I just didn't have the reaction time. Then once I got more comfortable with it I started doing much better and realizing the strategic nature of it. Button mashing isn't going to be all that successful. Pretty fun so far, as with any game of this nature whether it'll hold up longer than a few weeks is difficult to say. I've really enjoyed the photo face. Check out my Mike Holmgren and HHH on my site

# 25 The GIGGAS @ 08/01/08 01:45 PM
This demo definitely did something to my interest of this game.

It helped plummet to negative infinity.

# 26 acarrero @ 08/01/08 01:54 PM
I won't even bother. It's like getting into Blitz when you're more of a Madden guy. Can't wait for Fight Night.

# 27 ChaseB @ 08/01/08 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastapadre
I actually was getting my *** kicked on easy when I first started, I literally thought maybe I just didn't have the reaction time. Then once I got more comfortable with it I started doing much better and realizing the strategic nature of it. Button mashing isn't going to be all that successful. Pretty fun so far, as with any game of this nature whether it'll hold up longer than a few weeks is difficult to say. I've really enjoyed the photo face. Check out my Mike Holmgren and HHH on my site
Yea I did last night once your latest article showed up in my RSS feeder, good stuff. They need to work on the hair in this game though because Trips just looks weird.

Also I am assuming some people just want a new Fight Night and hence don't give a damn about this game or just want the more realistic thing. Perfectly fine, but unfair to Facebreaker. Plus the parry mechanic actually makes sense to have in this game, whereas it probably shouldn't be in a more realistic game like Fight Night. PS there is an option in Facebreaker to make it more like Fight Night in terms of how much damage punches do etc. and you can lengthen the rounds (in the retail game) just fyi.

# 28 pastapadre @ 08/01/08 03:19 PM
Quote:
Yea I did last night once your latest article showed up in my RSS feeder, good stuff. They need to work on the hair in this game though because Trips just looks weird.

Also I am assuming some people just want a new Fight Night and hence don't give a damn about this game or just want the more realistic thing. Perfectly fine, but unfair to Facebreaker. Plus the parry mechanic actually makes sense to have in this game, whereas it probably shouldn't be in a more realistic game like Fight Night. PS there is an option in Facebreaker to make it more like Fight Night in terms of how much damage punches do etc. and you can lengthen the rounds (in the retail game) just fyi.
Yeah definitely, the hair was the most lacking aspect it seemed. That and having only a handful of costumes. I wonder if there will be more to either of them in the retail version?

# 29 mgoblue @ 08/01/08 05:36 PM
It's pretty fun, but makes me feel like that age of gaming has left me in the dust.

I understand the insanely quick "punch/counterpunch" dynamic, the "rock/paper/scissors" idea if you will, but on Easy I had my *** handed to me like there was no tomorrow. I can't imagine what the higher levels would be like. No matter what I wasn't gonna be getting this, fighting games are fun for a couple days and get old, especially when there's not much depth.

This just seemed like fun button mashing and I'm just getting too old for that type of game I think.

# 30 JayBee74 @ 08/01/08 06:24 PM
There's a lot of rhythm and intuitiveness to this game and how good does it feel to get a knockdown on your opponent (I play MEDIUM difficulty)? I like the way you can sneak a big punch in and the parries and dodges are fun to execute.

# 31 mr_president @ 08/01/08 10:59 PM
no 10 count??? and using knees and kicking = not a boxing game..not even an arcade one...

i thought it might be fun...bot was i wrong.

# 32 waldog @ 08/01/08 11:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
There's a lot of rhythm and intuitiveness to this game and how good does it feel to get a knockdown on your opponent (I play MEDIUM difficulty)? I like the way you can sneak a big punch in and the parries and dodges are fun to execute.
I played the demo on my ps3 about 15 minutes ago. I see why it limits you to 90 seconds. So it leaves you thinking there's more to it than what you get, but I know the demo shows the game. I deleted it after 1 match and googled "ea facebreaker demo sucks" this was one of the 1st hits. haha

I think the gameplay was crap and R2R was a ton better than this. I think you are a friend/creator or have some type of connection with the game to keep praising it. And to be honest, the whole demo was trash. The style of fighting/speed/limited moves. And for your whole "sneaking" a punch in. How do you manage that? The gameplay is so fast you have no time for that. And if the punches are considered "sneaking" in, then I snuck in punches the whole 90 seconds. The game has no depth and it's just trying to attract the older players that played R2R.

# 33 ExtremeGamer @ 08/01/08 11:18 PM
Most disappointing demo I've ever played. Thanks for saving me $50 though.

I found the demo to be absolutely terrible.

# 34 The GIGGAS @ 08/01/08 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer

I agreed.

# 35 ChaseB @ 08/02/08 12:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer

Ha, strong words. You wouldn't even play it for the points EG?

# 36 ExtremeGamer @ 08/02/08 06:47 AM
Quote:
Ha, strong words. You wouldn't even play it for the points EG?
If I got it for free I would. But I don't have Gamefly or a good rental place near me, so I'm guessing not

# 37 JayBee74 @ 08/02/08 07:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldog
I played the demo on my ps3 about 15 minutes ago. I see why it limits you to 90 seconds. So it leaves you thinking there's more to it than what you get, but I know the demo shows the game. I deleted it after 1 match and googled "ea facebreaker demo sucks" this was one of the 1st hits. haha

I think the gameplay was crap and R2R was a ton better than this. I think you are a friend/creator or have some type of connection with the game to keep praising it. And to be honest, the whole demo was trash. The style of fighting/speed/limited moves. And for your whole "sneaking" a punch in. How do you manage that? The gameplay is so fast you have no time for that. And if the punches are considered "sneaking" in, then I snuck in punches the whole 90 seconds. The game has no depth and it's just trying to attract the older players that played R2R.
Oh, you Googled "ea facebreaker demo sucks" and it was one of the first HITS!! You can't see me right now but I am literally on the floor in stitches. I mean I'm actually ON THE FLOOR typing this messages while laughing uncontrollably.

# 38 boomhauertjs @ 08/02/08 08:27 AM
It would probably be a decent long weekend rental, but I can't see it having enough depth to be worth owning. Oh well, one less game to buy this fall.

# 39 waldog @ 08/02/08 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
Oh, you Googled "ea facebreaker demo sucks" and it was one of the first HITS!! You can't see me right now but I am literally on the floor in stitches. I mean I'm actually ON THE FLOOR typing this messages while laughing uncontrollably.
Why's that funny?

That just shows that others think it sucks too. I could've picked one of the other 27,500 hits google found. The demo has been out what, 2 days and that many threads already pop up.

Face it. THE GAME SUCKS.

# 40 JayBee74 @ 08/02/08 09:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldog
Why's that funny?

That just shows that others think it sucks too. I could've picked one of the other 27,500 hits google found. The demo has been out what, 2 days and that many threads already pop up.

Face it. THE GAME SUCKS.
Hey, you're the one that laughed (haha) afterwords.
Waldog's elaborate search data aside, I have to say after several more "mini bouts" I have grown tired of the game. I was caught up in the frenetic action for awhile but then it got boring-too much dodging and punching. If EA had chosen to make it more "boxing like" they would have been better off, but they will not risk compromising Fight Night 4 by making an arcade boxing game. I played the game long enough to know I won't buy it. I went in with an open mind, was briefly impressed, and then deeply bored.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.