Home
Madden 09 News Post

Evening,

There's been a lot of discussion around rosters and patches so i wanted to go ahead and post an update.

Rosters
For those that manged to get an early copy, you may have noticed that a roster update was recently made available. Many of you also noticed that Brett Favre was listed as the 2nd QB for the Packers. This roster was posted up as a final test of our roster update capability. We're actually prepping a more final roster update that should be available on 8/11.

As for our roster update frequency... Our current plan is to update rosters about every two weeks. This could change based on major roster movement but expect us to drop rosters on an average of twice a month through the Super Bowl.

Patch
Yes, I'm finally going to discuss the state and details of the patch.

Regarding the patch status... Yes we submitted a patch to MS and Sony about a week ago. They are currently going through certification and all indications point to them going live some time next week. Please understand that it's very easy for issues with the patch to delay the release of the patch. For example, if MS finds a new bug with the patch, it would easily be delayed by 2 weeks. We're hopeful the patch will drop on or around 8/14.

What's in the patch?

There's a number of changes in this patch. Most would never be noticed by the average consumer but some were targeted at improving the experience as quickly as we could.

1. Changed default quarter length of online leagues to 5 minutes.
2. Solved a very rare stability issue that occured when using a couple of playbooks.
3. Eliminated a button mashing glitch during high latency online games.
4. Eliminated a stability issue that sometimes occured while viewing the player HUB in online leagues.
5. Fixed a tricky disc eject glitch that occured at specific points of online games.
6. Kick Return Tuning - made improvements to help reduce frequent long kick returns.
7. Safety Tuning - eliminated issue where safeties in deep zone coverage would sometimes not react to a run to their side.
8. The game skill slider for interceptions was tuned to amplify it's affect.

What about some of the other early feedback on the game? Keep reading, we're not done.

Patch #2 & DLC
Now that some details for patch #1 have been discussed, it's important to note that we're not done. We think it's very important to continue to improve the game even after it's release. We're actually very happy with the non-patched product but having the ability to patch the game to make it the ultimate experience is fantastic capability that we definately want to use.

We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)
4. Other post-release community feedback

DLC Possibilities
The same warning comes with this one. We're still evaluating these changes and are working hard to get them out as quick as possible.
1. Accelerated Clock
2. CPU Sliders (you would have the all new human sliders as well as a brand new screen of CPU sliders)
3. Legacy Gen Controller Config
4. Madden Community Gamerpics (a variety of gamerpics that will show what community you belong to. make sure your community managers know you want an OS gamerpic.)

We're targeting a mid-September release for patch#2 and the DLC but will give constant updates and screenshots as we progress.

I look forward to seeing all of your very constructive feedback next week when the game is released and will do my best to answer additional questions here.

Phil

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 swanlee @ 08/06/08 08:47 AM
We want Multiple camera angles or User Adjustable Camera angles for the DLC. I'd hate to have to wait YET another year to get more than one REAL camera option.

Please give us multiple camera angles or a user adjustable camera angle with DLC. Without the restrictions on a patch you should be able to a lot of cool things with DLC and even add new gui options.

# 62 Netherscourge @ 08/06/08 08:52 AM
I'm really glad to see they are working on patching stuff up. I also like the free DLC possibilities.

Much of that stuff should be in the game when it shipped, but I understand bugs pop up when you least expect it.

Anyway, that post has certainly eased some of my concerns.

My pre-order remains intact and I'm looking forward to next Tuesday!

Anyway - I wanna thank the EA-Tiburon guys for directly addressing our concerns.

# 63 highheatkingsb @ 08/06/08 09:06 AM
Great news, I canceled my pre-order and put all that money towards NHL 09, but I'll have to pick this up if and when all the patches go through. By then, I'm sure there will be plenty of used copies in the store do to people who are not aware of the upcoming patches.

# 64 ChicagoChris @ 08/06/08 09:08 AM
Does anyone realize what a huge departure this is for EA? Community interaction and updates! Awesome!

Please don't listen to those that bash the upcoming patch. Even if you add adjustable cameras and online jerseys, some people would never be happy.

# 65 mastershake88 @ 08/06/08 09:08 AM
looks like online play will be put off for some time

# 66 RoyalBoyle78 @ 08/06/08 09:14 AM
So I just read this, and I must say pretty great news, I really hope it works about in the patch 2. CPU Sliders would be great. Thanks Guys at EA, your really showing that you care about what we want, it's omething we haven't really seen over the years. Thanks

# 67 kindella2 @ 08/06/08 09:27 AM
Great Job...patches out before the game...what a novel concept...now everyone will complain that the commentating is terrible but the game play will be great.

# 68 mdgoalie37 @ 08/06/08 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PES3Paul
LMAO...the game's not even out yet and there are two patches in the bullpen.

Wait...

:|
LOL - I guess you would prefer a game with issues and 0 patches in the pen. Just no pleasing some people.

Guys, I must say I am very impressed with the direction you are going. I know how I lost some confidence with the whole 'no-CPU sliders thread poopfest' but I must say my interest and confidence has returned - and then some. I had decided that I would not pick up the game on 8/12, but my mind has been changed even knowing that all of these fixes may not be available for over a month after release.

If all of these changes are done properly, you could be looking at the best football game ever as I already like a lot of what I have seen. It would be great if all of these were in and the 2010 developement time could be spent perfecting the CPU playcall logic, the general presentation (including Custom Stadium Sounds, just awesome in NCAA) and fine tuning the gameplay.

# 69 Bleak5170 @ 08/06/08 09:41 AM
"1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning"

Those two are huge imo.

And I know I'll be in the minority here, but is there any chance we can get a broadcast or sideline cam for Spectator mode? That would make Madden 09 perfect in my eyes.

# 70 -DaVe- @ 08/06/08 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleak5170
"1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning"

Those two are huge imo.

And I know I'll be in the minority here, but is there any chance we can get a broadcast or sideline cam for Spectator mode? That would make Madden 09 perfect in my eyes.
No it wouldn't . I still don't see a QB pocket, referees , goaline dives, a realistic QB dropback, DB's that track the ball instead of using physic powers....etc ...

If phil and his crew can miraculously get those things I mentioned in than the game will be near perfect...

# 71 ab2c4 @ 08/06/08 09:54 AM
Just remember people, he said the DLC is a "Possibility", not a guarantee. Next month EA might turn around and say "sorry, we thought we could do it but now we realize we can't". I am taking the wait and see approach. If I see all of these changes and updates actually happen with patches then I will buy Madden. If not I won't buy it.

It's still good news and gives us hope.

# 72 ab2c4 @ 08/06/08 10:05 AM
The more I think about it, I still won't buy Madden on release day. I already have NCAA Football 09 collecting dust while I wait for it to be patched, I don't want to play the "dust collecting waiting for a patch" game with Madden also.

I still have my hopes up though. Hopefully in six weeks I will have at least one and possibly two finished (read: patched) football games to play!!! (actually, that is sad that I have to say that). The good news is if they do finally finish the game by mid September as was stated, by then I will be able to save money by buying a used copy of Madden.

# 73 myownsun @ 08/06/08 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLantern
GREAT NEWS!!!

Yes sir

# 74 -DaVe- @ 08/06/08 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
Just remember people, he said the DLC is a "Possibility", not a guarantee. Next month EA might turn around and say "sorry, we thought we could do it but now we realize we can't". I am taking the wait and see approach. If I see all of these changes and updates actually happen with patches then I will buy Madden. If not I won't buy it.

It's still good news and gives us hope.

Exactly.

Wait and see approach = smart move

# 75 Shock6822 @ 08/06/08 10:26 AM
Great news, as long as the DLC is free Thanks bud!

# 76 Shock6822 @ 08/06/08 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ab2c4
The more I think about it, I still won't buy Madden on release day. I already have NCAA Football 09 collecting dust while I wait for it to be patched, I don't want to play the "dust collecting waiting for a patch" game with Madden also.

I still have my hopes up though. Hopefully in six weeks I will have at least one and possibly two finished (read: patched) football games to play!!! (actually, that is sad that I have to say that). The good news is if they do finally finish the game by mid September as was stated, by then I will be able to save money by buying a used copy of Madden.

I was thinking about that too, but since mid September is basically Week 2 or 3 of the NFL, a used game will be 55 or 50 bucks still most likely...not too much savings monetary wise...hopefully they'll be able to confirm whether patch 2 and DLC will be released for sure by next week, but I doubt it

# 77 ab2c4 @ 08/06/08 10:36 AM
Somebody mentioned something over on gamefaqs that I thought brought a valid point, hopefully EA can comment on it so as to let those guys know:

For the people that have a PS3 or 360 but don't have it connected to the internet, how will they get their copy of Madden or NCAA 09 patched? Will EA mail out the patches on cd for those that call EA and request it? Or can the people mail in their copy of the game and in return EA will mail them an updated patched copy of the game (like they did with the psp version of NCAA Football 07)?

# 78 coogrfan @ 08/06/08 10:56 AM
Wow, what a great way to start my OS day.

# 79 eaglesfan27 @ 08/06/08 11:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Wow that's great news. Thanks Phil. I think mid-September for patch 2 and DLC is fair.
Same here. I look forward to renting the game when those are released to see if it makes the game worth buying for me (which I think it will at that time.)

# 80 hail2thevictors @ 08/06/08 11:10 AM
Good to hear!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.