Home
Madden 09 News Post

Evening,

There's been a lot of discussion around rosters and patches so i wanted to go ahead and post an update.

Rosters
For those that manged to get an early copy, you may have noticed that a roster update was recently made available. Many of you also noticed that Brett Favre was listed as the 2nd QB for the Packers. This roster was posted up as a final test of our roster update capability. We're actually prepping a more final roster update that should be available on 8/11.

As for our roster update frequency... Our current plan is to update rosters about every two weeks. This could change based on major roster movement but expect us to drop rosters on an average of twice a month through the Super Bowl.

Patch
Yes, I'm finally going to discuss the state and details of the patch.

Regarding the patch status... Yes we submitted a patch to MS and Sony about a week ago. They are currently going through certification and all indications point to them going live some time next week. Please understand that it's very easy for issues with the patch to delay the release of the patch. For example, if MS finds a new bug with the patch, it would easily be delayed by 2 weeks. We're hopeful the patch will drop on or around 8/14.

What's in the patch?

There's a number of changes in this patch. Most would never be noticed by the average consumer but some were targeted at improving the experience as quickly as we could.

1. Changed default quarter length of online leagues to 5 minutes.
2. Solved a very rare stability issue that occured when using a couple of playbooks.
3. Eliminated a button mashing glitch during high latency online games.
4. Eliminated a stability issue that sometimes occured while viewing the player HUB in online leagues.
5. Fixed a tricky disc eject glitch that occured at specific points of online games.
6. Kick Return Tuning - made improvements to help reduce frequent long kick returns.
7. Safety Tuning - eliminated issue where safeties in deep zone coverage would sometimes not react to a run to their side.
8. The game skill slider for interceptions was tuned to amplify it's affect.

What about some of the other early feedback on the game? Keep reading, we're not done.

Patch #2 & DLC
Now that some details for patch #1 have been discussed, it's important to note that we're not done. We think it's very important to continue to improve the game even after it's release. We're actually very happy with the non-patched product but having the ability to patch the game to make it the ultimate experience is fantastic capability that we definately want to use.

We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)
4. Other post-release community feedback

DLC Possibilities
The same warning comes with this one. We're still evaluating these changes and are working hard to get them out as quick as possible.
1. Accelerated Clock
2. CPU Sliders (you would have the all new human sliders as well as a brand new screen of CPU sliders)
3. Legacy Gen Controller Config
4. Madden Community Gamerpics (a variety of gamerpics that will show what community you belong to. make sure your community managers know you want an OS gamerpic.)

We're targeting a mid-September release for patch#2 and the DLC but will give constant updates and screenshots as we progress.

I look forward to seeing all of your very constructive feedback next week when the game is released and will do my best to answer additional questions here.

Phil

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 swanlee @ 08/08/08 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramspeedkill
do you need gold membership to download roster?
no just a FREE silver account

# 162 swanlee @ 08/08/08 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CochranBud
Guys, I didn't see any info pertaining to this, so I thought I'd ask. Is the patch solely for the 360 and PS3 platforms or will there also be a patch for the Wii? I haven't decided which one to get (Wii or 360) as the kiddos are asking for the Wii, but I usually buy sports games for the 360.

Thanks!!

The WII version is a completely different game. It more like the PS2 version with the waggle controls. Also the WII has limited internal storage. I would not count on a patch or DLC for the WII, the game is completely different and the WII network and hardware is not really setup for patching games regularly.

# 163 RAZRr1275 @ 08/08/08 12:46 PM
Sounds great! Can't wait for September.

# 164 baumy300 @ 08/08/08 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillycheze
Evening,

There's been a lot of discussion around rosters and patches so i wanted to go ahead and post an update.

Rosters
For those that manged to get an early copy, you may have noticed that a roster update was recently made available. Many of you also noticed that Brett Favre was listed as the 2nd QB for the Packers. This roster was posted up as a final test of our roster update capability. We're actually prepping a more final roster update that should be available on 8/11.

As for our roster update frequency... Our current plan is to update rosters about every two weeks. This could change based on major roster movement but expect us to drop rosters on an average of twice a month through the Super Bowl.

Patch
Yes, I'm finally going to discuss the state and details of the patch.

Regarding the patch status... Yes we submitted a patch to MS and Sony about a week ago. They are currently going through certification and all indications point to them going live some time next week. Please understand that it's very easy for issues with the patch to delay the release of the patch. For example, if MS finds a new bug with the patch, it would easily be delayed by 2 weeks. We're hopeful the patch will drop on or around 8/14.

What's in the patch?

There's a number of changes in this patch. Most would never be noticed by the average consumer but some were targeted at improving the experience as quickly as we could.

1. Changed default quarter length of online leagues to 5 minutes.
2. Solved a very rare stability issue that occured when using a couple of playbooks.
3. Eliminated a button mashing glitch during high latency online games.
4. Eliminated a stability issue that sometimes occured while viewing the player HUB in online leagues.
5. Fixed a tricky disc eject glitch that occured at specific points of online games.
6. Kick Return Tuning - made improvements to help reduce frequent long kick returns.
7. Safety Tuning - eliminated issue where safeties in deep zone coverage would sometimes not react to a run to their side.
8. The game skill slider for interceptions was tuned to amplify it's affect.

What about some of the other early feedback on the game? Keep reading, we're not done.

Patch #2 & DLC
Now that some details for patch #1 have been discussed, it's important to note that we're not done. We think it's very important to continue to improve the game even after it's release. We're actually very happy with the non-patched product but having the ability to patch the game to make it the ultimate experience is fantastic capability that we definately want to use.

We're already hard at work on the 2nd patch and are also evaluating releasing a FREE DLC. Here's a sneak preview of what you might expect in future updates.

Patch #2 Possibilities
Please understand this list is under construction and won't be finalized until we've received more feedback on the final game from the community.
1. Ghost Juking OOB fix - aka CPU players running out of bounds
2. CPU Accuracy tuning
3. Amplify the field degredation effect (the system is currently working but is hidden by some of our late added post effects)
4. Other post-release community feedback

DLC Possibilities
The same warning comes with this one. We're still evaluating these changes and are working hard to get them out as quick as possible.
1. Accelerated Clock
2. CPU Sliders (you would have the all new human sliders as well as a brand new screen of CPU sliders)
3. Legacy Gen Controller Config
4. Madden Community Gamerpics (a variety of gamerpics that will show what community you belong to. make sure your community managers know you want an OS gamerpic.)

We're targeting a mid-September release for patch#2 and the DLC but will give constant updates and screenshots as we progress.

I look forward to seeing all of your very constructive feedback next week when the game is released and will do my best to answer additional questions here.

Phil
Wow, that's very impressive Phil.

When it comes to DLC though, is this like NCAA where as alternate jerseys can not be patched in?

If they can be, should we be expecting any?

# 165 ibis @ 08/08/08 01:48 PM
I told myself that I would not buy madden on release date again until i knew the game was fundamentally a solid product. These type of updates from EA have given me confidence that they are dedicated to fixing any and all issues with the game that may arise.

Just pre-ordered the anniversary addition from Amazon

# 166 rickyb316 @ 08/08/08 03:04 PM
is EA server down right now? Im not able to get the rosters..

# 167 tj1182 @ 08/08/08 03:15 PM
I honestly don't feel like reading through 19 pages. Since Favre signed with the Jets, will there be a roster update with him on the Jets on the night of release? If not then this game is pretty much unplayable online.

# 168 Spanky @ 08/08/08 05:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1182
I honestly don't feel like reading through 19 pages. Since Favre signed with the Jets, will there be a roster update with him on the Jets on the night of release? If not then this game is pretty much unplayable online.
You should read through 19 pages and more. Good stuff, enlightening stuff.
They are releasing a roster update on Monday, which obviously will include Favre with the Jets.

# 169 Shock6822 @ 08/08/08 07:47 PM
Will you need Live Gold for the patch and DLC, or will Silver/whatever the free version is work?

# 170 tj1182 @ 08/08/08 07:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock6822
Will you need Live Gold for the patch and DLC, or will Silver/whatever the free version is work?
Silver will do.

# 171 drunkenfool @ 08/08/08 10:16 PM
I d/l rosters for the 2nd time today(around 6pm) and the new one has Favre on the Jets. although he went from a 95 to 94.

# 172 swanlee @ 08/08/08 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock6822
With a free silver account you get access to patches and DLC. The ONLY thing that is different with a gold account is it allows you to play other people online.

# 173 Shock6822 @ 08/08/08 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swanlee
With a free silver account you get access to patches and DLC. The ONLY thing that is different with a gold account is it allows you to play other people online.

Very glad to hear that, I'll probably pick Madden up now knowing this...thanks. And I really hope they address the cpu sliders/RoboQB etc like mentioned in the first post, because if no patch/DLC ever comes out addressing them, this will be the last time I buy Madden

# 174 rickyb316 @ 08/09/08 02:02 AM
not sure if this was addressed or mentioned..but today i played my first online game and one thing i noticed was that when you would hit the button to bluff your plays the same plays showed up for each bluff..

# 175 freezeframe @ 08/09/08 02:36 AM
We are missing a Helmet! Full Cage Robot is the same Helmet as Full Cage 2
Hope they fix this in the patch!

# 176 SimBaller22 @ 08/09/08 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezeframe
We are missing a Helmet! Full Cage Robot is the same Helmet as Full Cage 2
Hope they fix this in the patch!

are you serious...how about you ask them to cure cancer with a patch...

# 177 ebr0t @ 08/09/08 10:44 AM
keeps saying ea servers are down. This happen for anyone else?

# 178 edubbs @ 08/09/08 11:11 AM
Yeah the servers have been down for me all morning, I'm still trying to get the roster update.

# 179 countryboy @ 08/09/08 12:14 PM
they may be updating them again, since Pennington is now on the Dolphins.

# 180 ebr0t @ 08/09/08 12:19 PM
they are back up now, however i cant find where it says download rosters or anything for the life of me

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.