Home
Backbreaker News Post

IGN has posted their preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"The altered control style isn't the only way that Backbreaker plans to separate itself from the pack. Rather than gunning for the simulation crown that Madden currently holds, NaturalMotion is going for arcade gameplay that has the most realistic motion ever seen in a videogame. You'll see things like defenders taking off from three yards away to lay the smack down on an unsuspecting quarterback and airborne receivers getting flipped end over end when trying to make a catch. It's nowhere near as ridiculous as Midway's Blitz but it does cash in on the same freedoms that come with the lack of the NFL license."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PVarck31 @ 08/21/08 07:23 PM
Meh, I'll believe it when I see it.

# 2 allBthere @ 08/21/08 08:43 PM
I usually agree or understand Nate Ahearn's opinions/observations, so it's sounds like it's comming along. He said he did see 2 teams playing, and saw passing but wasn't allowed to comment on it yet.

IMO he sounds extremely positive on the game, BUT..he said it was a very early build, so those of us who have been following the game know that this shouldn't be the case from what we've been told. Many months ago we were told it was in an 'advanced playable state'.

I like this quote: "From defenders latching on to the waistline of my player's pants and being dragged for a few yards to popping a running back in the head, making it snap back in a way that is best described as cringe-worthy, Backbreaker seems to have the motions of football well in-hand. "
We knew mostly that the REACTIONS to being hit were always unique, but not so much the behaviour of the tackler doint the hitting - this is the first time I've heard observations about that and it sounds cool.

I'm still very much looking forward to playing this myself at some point in the future, it just sounds like it's further away than I thought.

I wish Nate was a poster here so that we could grind him about his opinions about it being vapourware, what else he saw like menu's, teams, plays, play-selection etc...

Anyway, glad it's positive, it could have been a lot worse.

***edit***also rock on that it's running on a 360 "After spending some time in downtown San Francisco with a controller in my hand and a very early version of Backbreaker running on a debug Xbox 360, I can say that the forward-thinking footballer looks like it just might be able to live up to its potential."

"

# 3 jdr4693 @ 08/21/08 08:50 PM
2009......Why? I remember a producer on the 1up podcast like over a year ago and he said they started the idea on the game even a year before that podcast interview??? and he said it was an early build? looks like its gonna be another year

# 4 duke776 @ 08/21/08 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
You just saw and read it...
I think he means when it's released and he plays it, not just see some video or screenshots. That's when I'll make the decision on it, I don't want to get my hopes too high.

# 5 K_GUN @ 08/21/08 09:12 PM
looks pretty good

too bad they chose the 'arcade' route

i'll pass

# 6 GOBLUE_08 @ 08/21/08 10:46 PM
Looks promising, wont be holding my breath though.

# 7 ThaPeeplz @ 08/22/08 01:20 AM
Well, from what I've seen of the engine it looks pretty good. Only thing I'm not liking right now is the statement about it going an arcade route. We'll get the dynamic physics we're looking for, but none of the modes, ya know, season, dynasty and all those great additions. I can almost gaurantee there wont be a dynasty mode. Like I say, looks good though.

# 8 Dudd @ 08/22/08 01:20 AM
He still says he was waiting on 11 v 11 gameplay, that's not a minor detail for a football game. I'm not going to hold my breath.

# 9 Spectre @ 08/22/08 03:17 AM
Glorified tech demo

# 10 Cyros @ 08/22/08 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Glorified tech demo
Sshh! You know that isn't allowed.

# 11 jmood88 @ 08/22/08 12:16 PM
If this game ever does come out it just sounds like Blitz with a nice tackling engine.

# 12 jmood88 @ 08/22/08 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmo9999
Seriously folks, DO NOT take that "arcade" comment for this game being a blitz-esque game. Like I posted earlier, THEY ARE GOING FOR A HALF SIM HALF ARCADE GAME MORE ON THE SIM SIDE. This means that it'll probably be MORE realistic than Madden because can we really call them a sim, I mean lets look at the A.I. But I don't want to turn this into a madden bash thread so I will say that we will probably see in this game actual wide open gameplay, not like NCAA because A.I. won't be dumbed down.
Do you work for them or something? I've never seen someone defend an unreleased game by an unknown company so hard before.

# 13 allBthere @ 08/22/08 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre
Glorified tech demo
glorified ignorance.

# 14 jmood88 @ 08/22/08 12:38 PM
Quote:
Wow the attacks again, how mature. HELLO, I am stating FACT. If you want to see the quote I'll go ahead and post it. This time I wasn't BLINDLY "supporting" the company. Please back off my jock. I'm sorry I like a game before it comes out okay. The fact this game WILL come out and already has a HANDS ON preview (with more to come) I don't get how you can be so ignorant. I mean seriously. Back off the people that support the game and go play your EA games. I was simply answering the concern that this game would be blitz, its obviously not. No one is going to rip of someones helmet and beat them with it.
First of all, it's hilarious that you would assume that I'm in any way an EA fan. Second, it's not an attack but you come on very strong with your defense of this game when you really have nothing to go on other than what you've been told. A hands on preview where a guy isn't allowed to do anything but run the ball doesn't mean much. Starcraft:Ghost was shown almost done and never came out so an extremely limited hands on preview isn't anything to get excited about.

Ripping someone's helmet off and hitting them with it is not all that constitutes an arcade game. Blitz games didn't have that until recently.

# 15 jmood88 @ 08/22/08 12:44 PM
Quote:
Here is the quote for you trollers

I'd also like to point out that diving from 3 yards back is realistic and getting hit in mid air is realistic. I don't know how the article writer could use those as good examples of calling it arcade.
Just because people don't agree that this will be a great football game or come out does not mean that they are trolling.

# 16 jmood88 @ 08/22/08 01:10 PM
I didn't start a fight with you, you keep taking things way too seriously. I never insulted you but you insulted me so calm down. You want to immediately tell people that everything that they think about this game is wrong but get your feelings hurt if no one wants to take your word for it. I mean you haven't played or even seen any extensive footage of the game so all this defending is a little ridiculous.

# 17 coogrfan @ 08/22/08 01:14 PM
Quote:
No its trolling when you come to a thread only to start a fight and degrade members for what they believe in. I don't tell you you're stupid for blindly supporting whatever religion you believe in, so why don't you back off of me please.
It's just a game, son... lighten up.

# 18 mercalnd @ 08/22/08 01:17 PM
Quote:
Seriously folks, DO NOT take that "arcade" comment for this game being a blitz-esque game. Like I posted earlier, THEY ARE GOING FOR A HALF SIM HALF ARCADE GAME MORE ON THE SIM SIDE. This means that it'll probably be MORE realistic than Madden because can we really call them a sim, I mean lets look at the A.I. But I don't want to turn this into a madden bash thread so I will say that we will probably see in this game actual wide open gameplay, not like NCAA because A.I. won't be dumbed down.
Do we know anything about the AI in Backbreaker? We know they have a great physics engine but AI is completely separate from that and AI is by far the most critical/difficult part of any game's programming. EA struggles with it and 2K, while they used to do a better job of it than EA still had their AI issues. So what makes anyone think that this new company will get good or great AI in their game on the first try?

# 19 coogrfan @ 08/22/08 01:19 PM
Quote:
Dude this guy attacks me for supporting the game in every thread that I have, it gets annoying.
I understand that, but you seem really touchy about this. It's just not worth getting this twisted off about.

# 20 jmood88 @ 08/22/08 01:25 PM
Quote:
Dude this guy attacks me for supporting the game in every thread that I have, it gets annoying.
No one attacked you. Calm down.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.