Home
News Post

The NHL 09 demo is available. Please post your impressions here.

NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Spanky @ 09/06/08 11:13 AM
-- Still too many shots clang off the post or crossbar. Was hoping they'd tone that down.

-- Did you notice the same bald guy who looks like the captain from the newer Star Trek series is coaching both teams? I thought they had realistic likenesses of the coaches in past versions.

-- They didn't seem to give Osgood much respect. Don't know if his ratings are low or what, but he gives up a lot of medium-range unscreen slap shots.

But I concur with all the positive impressions. This is game is even more fun than 08, which was the best hockey game ever.

# 82 kerosene31 @ 09/06/08 12:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
i don't see many bad goals, and the computer doesn't even shoot from OUTSIDE THE BLUELINE.
Well, they did once. It was a one-timer off a faceoff that was outside the blueline. Last night I was getting a ton of these cheese goals, now I play a bunch of games and I get nothing but good goals. Now, the few long shots I see are saved normally. Strange. Maybe just one of those demo quirks.

I'm back to getting great games again. All the goals against have been my fault.

I'm really starting to get the hang of defense now. You can't just score with an NHL d-man all over you. You have to find space and set up plays. When I do set up a great play I feel like I earned it now, they aren't automatic like last year.

I'm actually getting sick of the demo already. I'm ready for next week, but I should be practicing more. I'm still giving up far too many goals, but I see my mistakes.

At first I was critical of the teammate AI, but more now I see them being where they are supposed to be. You can play 2 on 2s properly and expect a CPU teammate to cover the slot.

# 83 CS10029 @ 09/08/08 02:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
That's because EA still hasn't fixed the damn system.

I don't get why they didn't add a modifier or something so that you can actually aim at the net from behind the blue line, or so that you could use the dump feature inside the offensive zone.

The whole dumping/shooting system based on what zone you're in kind of sucks and needs to be reworked.
Agreed, but like you said, it kind of sucks. Its manageable, and for the most part gets the job done.

# 84 colkilla @ 09/08/08 10:37 AM
man, i am only a casual hockey fan but i will be purchasing this game tomorrow when it drops. playing be a pro mode on the demo is like the most fun i've had playing any sports video game in a long time...

# 85 savoie2006 @ 09/08/08 06:20 PM
Quote:
Few things that are starting to really bug me:

1.) That damn pull the wrister back a bit, and shoot it off one foot to the blocker side for a goal about 90% of the time. If I have to watch Pittsburgh go 3-3 on shootout shots by using that same goal over and over again... I just wish they had manual-control goalie so I could deal with it.

2.) Tape to tape passing still. Watching players just wing it to any player on the ice with no problem is starting to get a little tiring.

3.) Offensive AI just standing about... I've got a PP and I'm passing the puck around, trying to get my teammates to crash the net and screen the goalie and go for a tip shot... I can't. I get the puck to my D and my offensive players stand around by the boards just watching me...

4.) Automatic backwards skating. It's better than 2008, but not much... Losing a draw in the offensive zone, only to have the center pass it to the right wing, who then skates right past my player who's being forced to skate backwards is really, really annoying. Why can I not skate forwards with him and put pressure on? Instead I automatically turn around, and let him just blow right past me.
Press the D Pad and change your strategies while on offense. Also, don't just stand in one place when you have the puck. Move around and players will adjust accordingly. This usually opens things up.

# 86 Leaffan09 @ 09/08/08 07:27 PM
hey guys just wanted to let you know im a huge fan and have been playing the EA games since 2001. I have been reading most of the reviews over the last couple of days as well as playing the demo, huge fan.

The main thing that has really made 09 a definite by for me is the new hitting system. i love all the animations and nothing feels better then throwing that big hit and gaining momentum. also very impressed with the new fighting system however i was watching the video for the 2k9 fighting system and it looks UNREAL. But yeah definatly better than the 2006-08 series fighting system. Only negative i have about the fighting is i just wish that the players had more health however it is pretty cool to end a fight in a punch or two.

couple quick questions i thought maybe you guys could answer.

1. Is it possible too sticklift on classic controls? doesnt really matter because i can make a custom one once the game comes out but if i could get used to it in the demo that would be great.

2.can you do the one handed dekes in classic?

3. And finally I'm really confused about which date ill be able to get the game, some sites say the 9th and the EA site says the 11th and then when i preordered at EB they said most likely be there on the 10th. Can anyone touch on that?

# 87 Leaffan09 @ 09/08/08 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Quick initial impressions. Probably nothing different than what's already been posted.

Anyway, very similar to 08, which is good thing, since there's always a concern with EA that they could screw up a good thing.

1. Speed is slower, but more realistic. You're not zipping from one end of the ice to the other as much as 08.

2. More defensive emphasis making it harder to score. Will require more practice for average players like me, perhaps slider adjustments or starting off on easier setting. But I like it.

3. Jerseys look a little different, can't put my finger on it, but I noticed it right away. They look even better than last year, which looked great.

4. Someone mentioned the lighting looks different than last year, but I'm not seeing that. Game still looks bright with vivid colors. A visual masterpiece. Makes 2k9 look like a last-gen game.

5. More players look like real-life counterparts, though they still need to work on some. On the Wings, for example, they nailed Lilja, of all people, but Filppula and Kronwall don't look like they do in real life.

6. Passes not as automatic, which is a good thing.

7. Shots seem slower. Again, a good thing, as you don't have quite the arcade feel that 08 had, though I enjoyed that as well.

8. Still need to get used to the button controls for lifting stick, poke checks, sweeping stick, but that will come with time, making the game more enjoyable.

9. Love the close-up cut-scenes. They were good last year, hope they added more this year. Really looking forward to seeing all those throwback and alternate jersey close-ups in HD.

Based on the demo, it's safe to say this will be a Day 1 purchase. Unlike football games, where there's so many intracacies, many that can go unnoticed until you spend some time with the full version, I can't imagine there being any game-killing bugs in the full version of NHL if they're not detected in the demo. At least not in the game play. Franchise could be a different story, so we'll have to wait and see about that.

But games like this really justify the existence and the purchase of next-gen systems, after the disappointing football efforts EA has given us thus far. It's nice to see how competition can push a development team to put out the best effort possible.
i also noticed the same thing spanky. I think they look a lot better and i think i can put my finger on it. I think the lighting may help them look more realistic but i thing the main thing that does it is how tight and slick they are, a nice tight fit, looking a lot like the RBK edge jersey's the NHLer's are wearing.

# 88 sixtydashone @ 09/08/08 08:26 PM
I just spent a good 45mins with the demo and holy crap it's really good. I will be picking this up for sure and it's actually going to be the first hockey game I've bought in a long time. Amazing game.

# 89 gbx34 @ 09/09/08 12:05 AM
Quote:
So... I'm still not getting this "speed burst" thing at all.

Like I said earlier, it's in the control options and looks like the control is to press down on the left stick... Which does nothing.

Someone else said something about hold one of the shoulder buttons down, which also does nothing. In fact, every button I pressed does absolutely nothing.

So what exactly is this feature that allows you to push the puck ahead of you to skate faster, and how do you use it? Because I cannot figure it out.
Zero, Just full throttle of the analog stick will do it for.

One of the best things that ever happen to this game.

# 90 savoie2006 @ 09/09/08 01:07 AM
No, it has something to do with pressing the RB Button. It's part of what is called the one handed deke. I don't remember how it's done, but I know it starts with pressing the RB button. Anyways, when you do this move, your player gets a boost while skating without the puck.

# 91 Lubey @ 09/09/08 01:55 AM
If you're skating straight, tap the RB, and you'll push the puck forward a little and skate noticeably faster. However, it becomes pretty easy for the defender to get the puck, so make sure you have enough room first. They struck a nice balance of only being able to use it while you're in open ice.

# 92 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/08 02:31 AM
Thankfully the demo came out so early, after the "Always Up" control scheme was screwed up it's taken me two weeks to finally get the "Camera relative" control scheme burned into my brain. Nice that I didn't have to go through a painful shakedown period with the retail version

# 93 Qb @ 09/09/08 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubey
If you're skating straight, tap the RB, and you'll push the puck forward a little and skate noticeably faster. However, it becomes pretty easy for the defender to get the puck, so make sure you have enough room first. They struck a nice balance of only being able to use it while you're in open ice.
Yup, tap the RB (R1 on PS3) button when skating in a straight line. The player will push the puck ahead of him and get an extra boost of speed. I haven't had too much success using it, as I think Lubey is right in that it is only useful in certain situations. The only time I ever really used it to any advantage was when I cherry-picked a bit in BAP and got behind the defense leaving me with a clear breakaway from just inside the redline. It gave me an extra step or two to keep the D from catching up...

# 94 poster @ 09/09/08 11:31 AM
I am a newbie to the game. I couldn't play with Pittsburgh in the demo as I had a hell of a time getting off shots due to facing down. In the retail version, they do not have an always up option? If not, how did you guys get used to it? I suck as I am still getting used to the controls, so any tips would be great.

# 95 savoie2006 @ 09/09/08 11:40 AM
They have the Always Up option in the demo. You go into the setting and 360 controller settings.

# 96 poster @ 09/09/08 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
They have the Always Up option in the demo. You go into the setting and 360 controller settings.
Ahh thank you. Must have missed that. :-)

# 97 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/08 12:02 PM
Quote:
It's not the same as last year, they screwed it up the shot aiming and dekeing is all reversed.

# 98 savoie2006 @ 09/09/08 12:12 PM
Not for the 360, I've been playing it all this time. It's the same way as it is on 08. It may be screwed on the PS3, but not the 360.

# 99 BREWCREW1982 @ 09/09/08 12:42 PM
I really never got into hockey games (last game i bought was NHL 94) before but i decided to download both hockey demos (nhl 2k9 and nhl 09) and NHL 09 is hands down much better than NHL 2K9. The gameplay flows really smoothly and the graphics are pretty crisp for the most part. I love using the right analog to shoot and do moves instead of button pressing. It really puts you in control of your player and the game overall. I think its cool too that they have NHL 94 controls, kinda weird since that was the last hockey game i bought and really enjoyed. I have to admit that this is the most fun i've had in any sports game this year. I am going to jump on the bandwagon this year and get NHL 09 and have a blast tearing up the ice.

# 100 bad_philanthropy @ 09/09/08 01:31 PM
Quote:
Not for the 360, I've been playing it all this time. It's the same way as it is on 08. It may be screwed on the PS3, but not the 360.
It's not the same on the 360 either. The dekeing and shot aiming are reversed compared to last year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.