Home
News Post

OS just posted a gameplay video from their beta copy of NBA 2K9.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 DaoudS @ 09/20/08 06:01 AM
for some reason I don't think this is the same build that gamespot or GT have. It all looked very jittery.

# 22 Goffs @ 09/20/08 06:38 AM
i love what im seeing the replays at the end of the quarter and the intro in the beginning

the transition animations when making a turn looks jittery and way too many passing...anybody know what difficulty this is?

Steve play the cpu please and post it!

# 23 Muzyk23 @ 09/20/08 07:02 AM
wtf is wrong with passing to the guy standing one metre away and to make things worse it's overhead..I hate it..also it seems that you can't get past the guy without iso as AI couldn't do it in the video..in real world one fake is sometimes enough to get past your guy on speed alone..it looked choppy and jerky..it is beta right?

they changed AI's shot animation a bit..it looked awful last year..was way better in 2k7

to sum up, there are 2 things which bother me: some of the passing animations and sliding, but I'm positive

# 24 edubbs @ 09/20/08 07:09 AM
I really like what I saw during this vid.

CPU vs CPU has never been this franchises strong point but, I'm glad Steve posted these because it gives you a general idea of how the AI works this year.

This series ALWAYS plays 10x better when it's user vs. cpu.

One of my biggest worries was answered after watching this vid. At the 4:15 mark, AI shakes his defender and pulls up for a Jumper!!

CPU controlled players shooting off the dribble has been none existant in this franchise, and it looks like it has finally been implemented. It is VERY important for the AI to be able to shoot of the dribble in this game, for various reasons.

Even if the AI's ability to shoot off the dribble is rare, I'm just hyped that it's FINALLY possible for a change in NBA2K9.

# 25 Muzyk23 @ 09/20/08 07:10 AM
oh and court spacing has not been improved..players tangle up again which is dissapointing

these are only assumptions based on the videos released..I hope I'm wrong with most of the stuff

# 26 CaCHooKa Man @ 09/20/08 07:29 AM
clark kellogg is pretty bad

# 27 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 07:41 AM
Man.. half you guys here are crazy, it's not even worth arguing anymore.

Just go compare CPU vs CPU from 2k7 and 2k8, let alone Live, to this.

That was by far the most realistic SIM ball I've ever seen CPU vs CPU play.

Only one dunk during the entire quarter, the defense was really good and he made a lot of mistakes in the post and paid for it by getting his *** blocked.

I don't even think that was the highest difficulty.

Insane game, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

One thing to note, the animations do look a tad quick, some of the jump shot animations happened way too fast after the dribble. It seemed like every player had a really quick release.

# 28 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabric
Hmm, overall I like what I see. I think it looks fine graphics wise (but then again that's not something I obsess about), but some of the animations look a bit iffy. What concerns me right now is the weird ball movement by the CPU, especially the exchange between Shaq and Amare - also the amount of blocked shots seems too high.

The commentary was so-so and is definately something that needs work in the future.

I too missed stat overlays, but it makes sense that some stats would only be displayed in Association and Season mode - then again I'm left wondering what happened to current game stat-displays. Maybe they are only displayed during freethrows...
Yes in terms of passing, they still had that problem where they kept passing it up to each other, especially when Amare had an open lane at one point and didn't capitalize.

In terms of blocked shots, I have to disagree with you.

If you watch all the times the computers went up, they were all soft shots, they did nothing to set up a move, isomotion, or moves in the post and that's why he kept getting blocked.

You also failed to mention the crisp mid range, good ball movement, shot clock management, and overall feel of the game.

# 29 Steve_OS @ 09/20/08 08:28 AM
Next clip, I will slow it down a tad w/ sliders.

# 30 kenzil @ 09/20/08 08:31 AM
I liked it. Looks good. I am sure with sliders we will be able to fix the little nuance. I am excited about the game.

Also, for the people complaining about the suns not running, D'antoni is in NY and Porter is the new coach. They will NOT be running like we are used to seeing. The nuggets looked liked they pushed the ball though.

# 31 Mos1ted @ 09/20/08 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
Thanks Steve, I was just about to post a comment that the majority of animation issues seem to come from the sped up gamespeed. That's why I'm not really pressed since there's a gamespeed slider anyway.

# 32 Mos1ted @ 09/20/08 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzil
Also, for the people complaining about the suns not running, D'antoni is in NY and Porter is the new coach. They will NOT be running like we are used to seeing. The nuggets looked liked they pushed the ball though.
Excellent point. I think people missed that fact.

# 33 jerseyballer7 @ 09/20/08 08:38 AM
I'd like to see how this game looks with the speed settings down. The cpu did over pass a lot but other than that it looks great.

# 34 jewelz1132 @ 09/20/08 09:00 AM
I like the intros, I see warmups and manual shooting like College but with cutscenes coming soon for some reason lol..Honestly besides that, the crowd and the double teams on pick and rolls I didnt see anything to wow me..this version seems like 2K8.5..Uniforms are still wrong, passing will still be a problem, sliding will cause a problem for d and offense because idiot players will be all over the place on offense and it will be hard to contest shots..

# 35 Nets @ 09/20/08 09:11 AM
one thing i noticed in the video, after bell scored they had a sound for him, that's pretty cool.

# 36 RoyalBoyle78 @ 09/20/08 09:15 AM
cool, thanks Steve. Looked good to me.

# 37 Mintsa @ 09/20/08 09:30 AM
Quote:
Thanks for the clips Steve....are you going to keep switching teams for every vid ??

# 38 Nokstar @ 09/20/08 09:32 AM
Quote:
nooooo don't do that...just play it on default.

I think its kind of misleading to mess with sliders when showing the vids honestly. Let people do that once they get the game. I can't speak for everyone, but im pretty sure they want to see how the game is played on default with only the difficulty modes being changed. We want to see what the 2k team wanted us to see out the box. I know i do for the simple fact i dont want to THINK something plays the way it does on default, when sliders have been moved up and down.

# 39 DaImmaculateONe @ 09/20/08 09:43 AM
Can we get a travel call on Nene?

# 40 eko718 @ 09/20/08 09:55 AM
Alot of good things in that vid. Transitional animations, again, do not look as natural as 2K8 but not a deal breaker. I do hope they can patch it though. The announcing is pretty much the same, which is annoying. I guess 2K doesn't know how to do commentary; still sounds like lines cut and pasted together and just play by play instead of actual color commentary and CONVERSATIONS that take place. I can see that "Iverson, passes to Martin... Martin with the shot...hits it!" Hearing that all game is corny, and Clark Kellogg is supposed to add basketball knowledge and insight... same thing as Kenny Smith last year, just a different voice. Also, these guys talk like they are recording lines for a video game... doesn't sound natural. This is one area Live has always done well please take note 2K.

Plus, I hope they added new game intro and arena music, hearing all the same songs every year somehow makes the game not feel fresh to me.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.