Home
News Post

OS just posted another gameplay video from their beta copy of NBA 2K9. This one features the Lakers vs. Celtics with the slider speed set to 40.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Bornindamecca @ 09/20/08 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
This is game speed on 40? Why do they even bother with game speed settings slower than this?

Players moving up and down the court (well, technically left and right) are going at a near-proper speed, but overall gravity and ball speed is far too slow.

This game does not look to be flowing as well as I had hoped.
Lowering the game speed to 0 is a great way to learn the nuances of the game. Because of the slow motion, your reactions are perfect defensively and you can tell exactly what place you need to be for various situations.

That was actually an issue I had last year, because without lock on D, a driving player would bounce or slide off of and around defenders and there was no real way to take a charge against the CPU.

# 42 onions17 @ 09/20/08 12:36 PM
Lol on the Odom dunk at the end, the "OOHHHHH!!!" commentary clip.. You could still definitely hear Kenny in there.
Otherwise sweet video, looks like I will be playing @ 40 game speed.

# 43 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/20/08 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuntNL
You guys really think that Live tops 2K this year? Still doubting.. 2nite a couple of rounds of live 09 demo for me again...
Come on man.. they're being sarcastic because the guy is trying to get a reaction out of 2k fans.

Truth is, there has been a lot of wait for all these gameplay videos, we've gotten little to no news in months except a few screenshots in which they expected us to 'drool' and hype each other up.

What 2k marketing didn't realize is that this type of strategy can easily backfire because people's anticipation will lead them to become more critical of what is given near release date.

Everyone here is really anxious to play, and I have no doubt everyone here will own a copy of the game come October 7th.

I also have no doubt numerous highlight videos will be shown with continuous brand new animations we've never seen before. The possibilities for sig moves are endless in this game simply due to the fact you can change shots at will (as proven by all the amazing reverse dunks and adjusted layups by momentous's trailer video).

# 44 johnathan burroughs @ 09/20/08 12:46 PM
when is the demo coming out nba 2k9++++++++++++++++nba live ------------

# 45 BTB @ 09/20/08 01:00 PM
Only thing I don't like is Pierce's jumper. Still doesn't have that natural fade to it that he puts on his midrange jumper. Not smooth enough. Dammit. One more year of not having fun going one on one with my favorite player.

# 46 amedawg00 @ 09/20/08 01:02 PM
You PLAY 2K bball games, not WATCH 2K bball games (big difference). Like Bill Clinton said to emphasize what really was at stake in '92, "its the economy stupid!". Likewise, what these Live trolls fail to realize is that the alleged 2K fanboy doesn't judge a game by how it looks, we simply drool over the amazing gameplay that you can only experience while physically on the sticks. Hence, a befitting motto for the 08/09 bball games dropping this fall is "It's the gameplay stupids". I envy you Steve. What shocks me is that you are actually deviating time with 2K9 by running errands!..lol..just kidding...Keep the vids coming, but preface their upload by adding your two cents on how the game actually feels and plays, since I'm sure its orgasmic. Oooops, here comes the lectures from high-falutin' mods about how idiotic it is to equate your love of 2K with crude sexual remarks. We get it.

# 47 SageInfinite @ 09/20/08 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB
Only thing I don't like is Pierce's jumper. Still doesn't have that natural fade to it that he puts on his midrange jumper. Not smooth enough. Dammit. One more year of not having fun going one on one with my favorite player.
You never know is jumper might feel better than it looks. Plus they are adding animations this year, still might be hope.

# 48 Defel @ 09/20/08 01:05 PM
No fouls in either videos so far, right?

Maybe I'm missing something because I searched both threads for the word "foul," but I got no hits. I would have thought someone would have mentioned it by now.

# 49 AJColossal @ 09/20/08 01:16 PM
Loved the open look Pierce got on that 3. That has always been one of my biggest critiques with this series-not enough open looks.

# 50 aholbert32 @ 09/20/08 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defel
No fouls in either videos so far, right?

Maybe I'm missing something because I searched both threads for the word "foul," but I got no hits. I would have thought someone would have mentioned it by now.
5 min quarters with no foul slider tweaks. I would expect that. Also I saw a few fouls in the Gamespot and Gametrailers videos so I'm not worried about that.

# 51 OneBadMutha @ 09/20/08 01:18 PM
The reason the plays look so disappointing in those videos is because the developers said they understood the issue last year and it was something they were really working on this year. I wonder if some of these issues that won't go away are a result of the game engine and if this engine just needs to be over-hauled.

Another complaint I had about the plays is that it still doesn't seem that the computer knows to run plays for Stars...especially post Superstars. 2K hasn't really exploited post mis-matches for years and it doesn't look like this is changing. 2K could really use some sort of primacy rating that determined who had plays run for them.

I'm considering Live as a primary game for the first time in about 8 years because of the play-calling and utilization of Superstars. 2K has heard us and have said they have been working on these issues for years (it's only one of the first things people put on the wish-lists every season). Might be time for a new engine because what they say they've worked on isn't translating into the game.

# 52 Defel @ 09/20/08 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
5 min quarters with no foul slider tweaks. I would expect that. Also I saw a few fouls in the Gamespot and Gametrailers videos so I'm not worried about that.
Okay, thanks for your insight. This is the first footage I've watched so it was slightly worrying.

# 53 Parasight @ 09/20/08 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onions17
Lol on the Odom dunk at the end, the "OOHHHHH!!!" commentary clip.. You could still definitely hear Kenny in there.
Otherwise sweet video, looks like I will be playing @ 40 game speed.
LOL!

I swear I heard Kenny too.

# 54 CelticBalla32 @ 09/20/08 01:24 PM
I like what I see. Here are my notes/thoughts:
  • That passing animation where Rondo threw it up-court to Pierce, looked exactly like Rondo. They got Rondo's jumper down beautifully, as well. Very life-like.
  • I loved Boston's first offensive set in this video. Rondo cut through the paint and went around a screen from KG. Once the ball was dumped down to Perk in the post, Ray Allen immediately shifted over to passing territory. The result? Fisher comes down to double Perk in the post, Perk kicks it out to Ray for a wide open 3 - splash.
  • The defense does indeed look tighter.
  • I loved the game speed.
My only complaint is what most of you guys have already touched on - the AI sometimes walks through a set play. However, the reason Pierce walked through that last play (towards the top of the key) was because Bynum cut him off and bumped him as he was moving towards the top. That threw him off. When that doesn't happen, it's fine.

# 55 SageInfinite @ 09/20/08 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasight
LOL!

I swear I heard Kenny too.
I miss Kenny. Kellog is making him sound real good right about now.

# 56 aholbert32 @ 09/20/08 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I miss Kenny. Kellog is making him sound real good right about now.
I dont think there is much of a difference between Clark and Kenny. I thought Kenny was pretty bad. I think we as a whole place too much emphasis on commentary. There are tons of games released each year and only two have it right (The Show and Live) and even on those games I eventually ignore the commentary. Doesnt excuse the poor commentray but just putting it in perspective.

On the positive front, it sounds like they fixed the crowd. The crowd sounds great and I dont remember a "Lets Go Celtics" chant last year.

# 57 NumberOneRB @ 09/20/08 01:33 PM
I have to agree with most on the play-calling issues. The players get in their spots WAY too slowly. I actually think 2K purposely made it like that so we could try out their adaptive AI feature that may actually be a better suited pseudo play-calling mechanism.

Given the quality of the video, I think we really can't tell how much they truly improved the graphics from last year. From what I can see, it seems as thought the graphics are "cleaner" and maybe some of the aliasing issues have been cleaned up a bit. Animations look top-notch as usual.

# 58 SageInfinite @ 09/20/08 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I dont think there is much of a difference between Clark and Kenny. I thought Kenny was pretty bad. I think we as a whole place too much emphasis on commentary. There are tons of games released each year and only two have it right (The Show and Live) and even on those games I eventually ignore the commentary. Doesnt excuse the poor commentray but just putting it in perspective.

On the positive front, it sounds like they fixed the crowd. The crowd sounds great and I dont remember a "Lets Go Celtics" chant last year.
Yea there isn't, I just like the sound of Kenny's voice better(no homo,lol). Clark sounds like he's really really reading the script. Either way it doesn't make a difference to me. I agree with you that this board is a little too obsessed with commentary. It has never ruined a game for me. Also co-sign on the crowd.

# 59 DakkoN @ 09/20/08 01:38 PM
Man, I thought Big Rob said they were going to fix players walking to their position on a broken play. I was almost screaming at my computer screen when I seen PP walk in slow motion to the 3 line. Some of the new plays in that video are directly from College Hoops which isn't a bad thing. Really wish they would give Derek Fisher a good shot, I always thought that Chris Bosh's shot on 2k7 would be PERFECT for D-Fish but they still keep giving him knock offs

# 60 bizcanos @ 09/20/08 01:47 PM
Gentlemen, constructive criticism at its finest...

Quote:
Originally Posted by left4dead
The ONLY advantage that 2K9 has over Live 09 is the passing aspect. Everything else Live 09 comes out on top (by far).
I love the internet. The fact that people get their feelings hurt over mbps is hilarious.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.