Home
News Post

We've just posted another gameplay clip from NBA 2K9.

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Pared @ 09/23/08 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I swear some people act like NBA 2k was just a placeholder until NBA Live got good/playable again. NBA 2k has consistantly been a good solid game, yet it needs an overhaul(some areas it does). EA makes Live playable after all these years, now all of a sudden its the better game. SMH .
Brilliant. It's a shame others don't see it.

# 82 fluent2332 @ 09/23/08 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I swear some people act like NBA 2k was just a placeholder until NBA Live got good/playable again. NBA 2k has consistantly been a good solid game, yet it needs an overhaul(some areas it does). EA makes Live playable after all these years, now all of a sudden its the better game. SMH .
I haven't seen one person say that Live is the better game, nor have I seen anyone say it needs an 'overhaul', although like you said in some areas it does. 2K is still the better game, 2 years ahead of Live IMO, but they still have a ways to go before its a complete NBA sim.

Where is this revamped commentary?? TV-like presentation? Why do all teams play the same, and have since 2k6 (again, when "sig style" was invented)? Why is the A.I. still bad?

I've played 2K since 2K4, but this was the first year that based on the gameplay videos, I was checking out the competition. 2K could blow Live out of the water, they just choose not to. Either that or they really don't have good direction over there.

# 83 Goffs @ 09/23/08 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican
What SPECIFIC areas are you referring to Blues?

Also remember it is easier to see Live's improvements than it would be to see 2K's improvements
its all about the elbows dude...its always been about the elbows

# 84 aholbert32 @ 09/23/08 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryder
This was a great video imo. Nice to see the CPU taking shots off the dribble. One thing I did notice was right at the end when subs came in while Arenas was shooting FTs, they subbed in Daniels and moved Arenas to the 2. Previously in 2k8, if you wanted the guy shooting FTs to change position when you sub, you would have to wait until the next dead ball and often get stuck with odd lineups due to all your subs not coming in.

Great observation. Glad they fixed that.

# 85 Parasight @ 09/23/08 11:15 AM
My Raptors! Thanks a bunch Steve!

- They updated the center court logo (but not to the LATEST one)
- The Raptor mascot got his jersey updated!
- The "Let's Go Raptors!" chant sounds beautiful, true to life (if this gets an intensity upgrade in post-season, I'll be ecstatic)
- I was about to jump out of my seat when I saw Moon almost get that fastbreak cleanly
- Calderon/Bosh pick-and-roll looked clean as hell
- The alley-oop was sweet
- The tempo was PERFECT. CPU didn't hold the ball like a moron and jack @ the end of the clock.
- Butler looks amazing!

# 86 Hassan Darkside @ 09/23/08 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluent2332
I haven't seen one person say that Live is the better game, nor have I seen anyone say it needs an 'overhaul', although like you said in some areas it does.
Well if your frequency of posts correlate to how often you frequent this forum then I believe you.

Anyway, also notice how early in the vid Jamario Moon is matched up on Gilbert Arenas with Calderon near by. Instead of the mismatch staying present or Moon running across the court to his man, he passes Arenas off to Calderon and just takes Haywood (even though Moon is a SF and Haywood is a C). That's a good thing to see that the CPU is smarter when addressing the mismatches.

# 87 fluent2332 @ 09/23/08 11:17 AM
It's harder to notice 2K's improvements because the improvements are not drastic, or haven't been improved at all. It's not like 2K is so close to perfection that they just can't improve it, but I really believe the people at 2K think that.

For one, they honestly must believe the commentary is good, because they literally just took the formula they have been using, and "tightened" it up, to sound even more robotic and stale. You have to question the direction they are going in.

# 88 aholbert32 @ 09/23/08 11:18 AM
Quote:
Where is this revamped commentary?? TV-like presentation? Why do all teams play the same, and have since 2k6 (again, when "sig style" was invented)? Why is the A.I. still bad?

I've played 2K since 2K4, but this was the first year that based on the gameplay videos, I was checking out the competition. 2K could blow Live out of the water, they just choose not to. Either that or they really don't have good direction over there.

Are you watching the videos? That doesnt look like TV-Style Presentation to you? They have replays at timeouts and deadballs, they have player info during FTs and end of game highlights. What more do you want?

That commentary complaint is just a nitpick. As Ive said before 98% of sports games have subpar commentary. Its almost impossible for commentary not to get stale. I love th Show's commentary and that gets old after about 3 mos.

I wont even respond to the bad A.I comment. Thats just ridiculous.

# 89 fluent2332 @ 09/23/08 11:20 AM
Quote:
Well if your frequency of posts correlate to how often you frequent this forum then I believe you.
I meant in the context of this thread and the few threads lately that have had posts containing a breakdown of gameplay videos. Most who have criticisms of 2K and reference Live as making strides still believe that 2K is the better game.

# 90 DC @ 09/23/08 11:20 AM
Yall can jump on dude if you want but he is right with many points

Commentary is garbage and has been for 4 years now. It is time for a change

Quote:
That commentary complaint is just a nitpick. As Ive said before 98% of sports games have subpar commentary. Its almost impossible for commentary not to get stale. I love th Show's commentary and that gets old after about 3 mos.
Don't use that "Most sports games have bad commentary" cop out." Most sports games didn't put on their boxes, "Dynamic commentary" when all they did was add a pedofile voice tone when players are shooting free throws (2K7 to 2K8). It is one thing to accept having bad commentary but for them (2K) to PROMOTE NEW commentary is what is even MORE upsetting.

And yes all commentary EVENTUALLY goes stale just like all vagina eventually goes stale. But some has a longer shelf life/replay value than others

# 91 SageInfinite @ 09/23/08 11:21 AM
Quote:
I haven't seen one person say that Live is the better game, nor have I seen anyone say it needs an 'overhaul', although like you said in some areas it does. 2K is still the better game, 2 years ahead of Live IMO, but they still have a ways to go before its a complete NBA sim.

You haven't been looking then because I've seen plenty of people say it. I agree the commentary doesn't sound better, but then again it's not a deal breaker for me. Seems 2k writes bad scripts or doesn't know how to direct or implement the commentary in a more natural manner.

As far as TV-style presentation no other bball game has come close to what I've seen in the videos for NBA 2k9. I don't know where you're coming from with that, and even if I did I probably still wouldn't agree. As far as everything else I'm reserving judgement until I actually PLAY the game. I remember people used to do that, seems different nowadays.

# 92 Pared @ 09/23/08 11:21 AM
Quote:
It's harder to notice 2K's improvements because the improvements are not drastic, or haven't been improved at all. It's not like 2K is so close to perfection that they just can't improve it, but I really believe the people at 2K think that.

For one, they honestly must believe the commentary is good, because they literally just took the formula they have been using, and "tightened" it up, to sound even more robotic and stale. You have to question the direction they are going in.
I don't know if this post should be taken seriously. Have you not seen the videos?

I don't understand how you can make statements like that. Questioning the developer's decisions when you haven't even played the game yet.

# 93 aholbert32 @ 09/23/08 11:24 AM
Quote:
Yall can jump on dude if you want but he is right with many points

Commentary is garbage and has been for 4 years now. It is time for a change

The only point he was even close to being right on was commentary. The only solution for that is to hire actors like they did for APF and NFL who can record commentary for weeks at a time. If you use famous play by play men, they have limited time and cant record a large amount of commentary. Harlan calls NBA, NFL and MLB games so he doesnt have time to record hours and hours of commentary.

# 94 fluent2332 @ 09/23/08 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Are you watching the videos? That doesnt look like TV-Style Presentation to you? They have replays at timeouts and deadballs, they have player info during FTs and end of game highlights. What more do you want?

I wont even respond to the bad A.I comment. Thats just ridiculous.
They still have ridiculous gameplay-interrupting replays. I see them on TV all the time. I'll give you the stat overlays, but no way is commentary a nitpick. Live's commentary is good, this commentary is HORRENDOUS. It's really so bad that I would turn it off. It goes like this, made shot = terrible one-liner. It's so bad, that it sucks the life out of the game. Not to mention it's the same damn script as the past 2 years, when they promised revamped commentary. It's so bad, that the color commentator said "you knew that one was good as soon as it left his hand" on a FREE THROW.

2K presentation producer, what the hell are you thinking?

The game looks STERILE, stale, and like I've played it before. The individual and team A.I. are still nowhere near close to playing like their real-life counterparts. Why don't they add team or coach specific playsets? Watch, try playing Association and tell me that all the teams don't play the same. It's been the same since forever and you know that, yet it's an area they could EASILY improve.

And I'm not trying to bash it, this is what it is to me. I'm a hardcore 2K player, but I can't change what I see.

# 95 DC @ 09/23/08 11:25 AM
Fluent again I say, it is EASIER to see the improvements of Reggie Evans post game than it would to see the improvements of Tim Duncan's post game over the span of an offseason

# 96 Hassan Darkside @ 09/23/08 11:25 AM
Quote:
I meant in the context of this thread and the few threads lately that have had posts containing a breakdown of gameplay videos. Most who have criticisms of 2K and reference Live as making strides still believe that 2K is the better game.
Ah, I got you. But in numerous other threads there have been people saying that the game needs an overhaul, from commentary to the entire engine.

I'm just banking on Charles Barkley, Ernie Johnson, and Kenny Smith for 2k10! Commentary would be amaaaazing.

It also irks me that even Clark Kellogg gets stuck with the exact same lines that Kenny had in 2k8 (and 2k7, 2k6).

# 97 DC @ 09/23/08 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
The only point he was even close to being right on was commentary. The only solution for that is to hire actors like they did for APF and NFL who can record commentary for weeks at a time. If you use famous play by play men, they have limited time and cant record a large amount of commentary. Harlan calls NBA, NFL and MLB games so he doesnt have time to record hours and hours of commentary.
Which is why I said they are wasting their got damn $ flying in Harlan and whoever the hell else they use

# 98 blues rocker @ 09/23/08 11:27 AM
Quote:
What SPECIFIC areas are you referring to Blues?

Also remember it is easier to see Live's improvements than it would be to see 2K's improvements
dribbling control - i like live's configuration better where you use the right stick for dribbling moves. it ensures that you will be able to do the move you want when you want. i have never been a fan of 2k's isomotion (especially when they switched everything to just the left stick - that made it too clunky and unresponsive). live's dribbling system offers more moves and better control of those moves (see czarisode 2 video).

the shot stick is kind of unnecessary, as you can do all the same shots by just using a shot button with the left stick to control fade-aways and leaners.

live's post game is better and offers more variety of moves. 2k's post game hasn't changed for years.

this year live took 2k's play-calling system and made it much better by making it easier to use and made variations within each play so that even if you don't follow the play exactly, there will be other options that arise.

# 99 Goffs @ 09/23/08 11:27 AM
Quote:
Ah, I got you. But in numerous other threads there have been people saying that the game needs an overhaul, from commentary to the entire engine.

I'm just banking on Charles Barkley, Ernie Johnson, and Kenny Smith for 2k10! Commentary would be amaaaazing.

It also irks me that even Clark Kellogg gets stuck with the exact same lines that Kenny had in 2k8 (and 2k7, 2k6).
yeah that was a total cop out by 2k just giving the same damn lines to Kellogg...whats the point of getting rid of Smith if its the same rehashed lines...

# 100 Pared @ 09/23/08 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
the shot stick is kind of unnecessary, as you can do all the same shots by just using a shot button with the left stick to control fade-aways and leaners.
This explains everything. Now I understand why you're making the comments you are.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.