Home
News Post

Head on over to the 2K Sports Forum and get the details.

Quote:
"Basketball will be coming to your computers this year. Many of you have already seen that NBA 2K9 will be released on the PC on various sites, and I wanted to confirm that. The extra bit of news, however, is that the game will be a XBOX 360 port. It will be released October 21st in PC gaming stores everywhere."

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 youvalss @ 09/29/08 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
How come?
How come I don't care about sport cars? Don't know, that's just me.

# 22 XenoZograscope @ 09/29/08 04:28 PM
Bring out them mods for 2K9 for the PC its going to be a wrap. I will definitely be getting this for the PC.

# 23 jewelz1132 @ 09/29/08 04:30 PM
seriously tho if its a port from 360...it could last forever with patches and updates

# 24 burnshroom @ 09/29/08 04:30 PM
Sports games on the PC have always been a niche genre in my opinion.

You have your "joystick" jockeys who love to have control of each individual players and who are so deft at the controls can shake and bake you outta your socks to get to the rim everytime.

In 360 land we call them cheesers.

But I think that true simmers have always kinda leaned towards the PC.

In the olden days ( ) games like Front Page Sports Football and Baseball were great on the PC. The graphics were ok for the time but the replay value and online leagues over multiple seasons were what made them better as a pc game because consoles at the time didn't offer this.

Then there were guys who offered all kinds of mods (non graphical) that allowed you to offer salaries and extended stats via an external application. At this to the fact you could host all this info online so everyone had access to it in said online league, again made it something the consoles could not offer.

The consoles are catching up in that now we can play seasons online one at a time save NCAA which offers a limited dynasty. And NBA 2K has been offering online leagues for a couple of years now.

But with the PC version if you can somehow access the raw stats and data, there will be utilities that allow you to edit stats via a spreadsheet or database as opposed to editting via the create a player screen one player at a time. And who knows maybe access to draft classes to import custom draft classes.

The potential here is almost limitless. Image a mod via the PC that would allow you to play previous seasons (MJ in 2K9 anyone).

So yeah the 360/PS3 version will be in my library no doubt. But with the potential of this on the PC and for 20 bux.

WOW!!!!

# 25 aholbert32 @ 09/29/08 04:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youvalss
And guys, before you make plans, wait for the game and see if it's all that you really imagined on the PC.

Its a 360 port. So if you have CPU that can run the newest games, you should be in great shape. You get the 360 version for 40 bucks cheaper and the potential to be able to mod the game. If I had a top line pc this would be a no brainer.

# 26 Bird123 @ 09/29/08 04:32 PM
I wonder if my computer can handle it...

# 27 Ballatician @ 09/29/08 04:36 PM
Wow

# 28 youvalss @ 09/29/08 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
Its a 360 port. So if you have CPU that can run the newest games, you should be in great shape. You get the 360 version for 40 bucks cheaper and the potential to be able to mod the game. If I had a top line pc this would be a no brainer.
My PC can't even handle FEAR on medium. So it doesn't matter for me, but still I'd go with next-gen console because it lasts more. Even today's high-end PC probably won't be able to run NBA 2K10 on max, and if you can't enjoy the game all the way, why bother? That's why I intend to buy a next-gen console and not a new PC. As long as my PC can handle Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator - I'm good. But again, that's just me, and I'm probably in minority here anyway.

# 29 RubenDouglas @ 09/29/08 04:48 PM
my pc is from 2003. time for an upgrade if its truely a STRAIGHT 360 port. for $20 bucks, that just doesnt sound right.

the patching COULD be endless, or it could be harder than one expects.. by the time programs and utiltities come out, it may be christmas , just in time for a new motherboard and setup..

i think we may be looking at a true wait and see here as far as modding. i havent messed with live since about 2002. have other games in other genres become easier or harder to modify since then? technology and programs advance, but does protection against it???

i may need help in the coming weeks looking for a new pc tower with all the works, if anyone can lend a helping hand. I have a decent enough monitor. are we looking at $600-700 for a medium level gaming machine?

# 30 JackTheRipper @ 09/29/08 04:49 PM
I don't get this...at all. How is it only $20? That's a third of the price of the 360 and PS3 versions...Why would anyone buy it on a console if they have a gaming PC? I mean, I would buy it on the PC if it $50. I just don't get it. Are there features or something that are going to be missing? Worse performance? Worse graphics? I guess I better cancel my PS3 pre-order.

# 31 cocobee @ 09/29/08 04:51 PM
Sounds like you're just upset you won't be able to enjoy it. The reason the PC version will be better(if your pc can handle it)
1.dynasty heads - easy access to dynasty reporting, screenshots and videos right on your computer already
2.graphic whores - patch any graphic your not happy with, do you want all of the Denver nuggets jerseys ever made-no problem -want Iverson's new nose tat-no problem-want Kobe's new Nikes that haven't even come out yet-no problem
want probably the best ever looking Michael Jordan to be in your fantasy draft/or the 90's Bulls-no problem
3.Longevity - want to create tyler hansbourough for next years draft and actually look like him -no problem
4. editing behind the game-someone will make a tool to tweak a tweak.
5.Makeing the game mirror the current NBA down to intro music, ingame music to ever changing hairstyles

Best thing, if you can't do it--I bet somebody else will and you'll just have to download it. If it's not your cup of tea, then why are you even in this thread.

PC basketball is BACK Baby! Some good news. Only bummer is if 2k acts like Tiburon and the Madden PC series.(they locked everything and made it impossible to patch anything) Could be a downer. But the Live series have always been open to 3rd party patching. I hope 2k is too.

# 32 youngkrz @ 09/29/08 04:54 PM
Thats great but what about the demo....

# 33 RubenDouglas @ 09/29/08 05:06 PM
this really places a bind on the consumers. the $60 bucks for the xbox/ps3 game could easily be placed into upgrading ones computer to properly PLAY the pc version. instead we all may be out 60 bucks, if we dont want to wait an extra 14 days.. bringing out the info is essential. thats such an EA move in my mind.. "hey, let them buy both. the pc version is only 20".. its $20 for a reason folks. lol

# 34 Tha_Kid @ 09/29/08 05:06 PM
Having no idea how fast modders could get on it, I'd still be wary of picking this up with the premise that mods for it will make it worthwhile. The NLSC guys figured that stuff out over years and had it down to an art. With a more advanced graphics system and everything, I doubt everything will be accessible enough for modding potential to be something that adds value.

I'm still planning on ordering the 360 version (technically already ordered) and I just built a new desktop with a $200 graphics card in August. For one the experience isn't guaranteed as smooth as the console version since it has to be optimized for variety of setups. You'll probably need truely top of the line (i.e. closer to $300 card) to get this game running as smoothly and looking as good as it does on the 360.

EDIT: ... actually... if 2k puts out a demo... i might wait these two weeks out just to see lol. But I have to disagree at the $40 being enough to update your PC to play the game, if it was a PS2 port sure, but 360 port? Most recent games from 360 (i'm thinking Assassin's Creed, Mercenaries 2) play well enough on my PC but spurt out when you approach max settings and high resolutions, nevermind any kind of Anti-Aliasing.

# 35 youvalss @ 09/29/08 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Why are they only for consoles? They play exactly the same way. You plug in a 360 controller, and there you have it - NBA 2k9 that plays exactly like the 360, except you can more easily update and edit rosters.
Because on PS3, for example, you can enjoy the game on max for years, while on PC most chances are you won't be able to enjoy 2K10 (or 2K11 if you want) on max. So what will you do? Buy a new PC every 2 years? A console usually lasts 7-8 years.

# 36 RunN1st @ 09/29/08 05:13 PM
This is excellent news! I may just get the 360 and PC versions. We'll see how it shakes out.

# 37 bateman11 @ 09/29/08 05:16 PM
Im not sure if I could even play this on my PC.

# 38 eDotd @ 09/29/08 05:18 PM
, In the end PC gamers always win.

No doubt I'll be picking up the PC version as well as retail. I was always fascinated with the NBA Live mod community, only problem was that I hated the game. It'll be fun to see what kind of community will develop for 2K on the PC.

# 39 bluedevil259 @ 09/29/08 05:23 PM
i was really disappointed to see the lack of editing to draft prospects in association. so this is very encouraging. hopefully we can get some really accurate draft classes on pc!

# 40 youvalss @ 09/29/08 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Some people aren't graphics whores, and don't care if the graphics are dumbed down a little.

Not to mention, my PC will most likely support it on full. Hell, if I can play a game like Crysis on high settings, NBA 2k9 will most certainly run at full.

And what you just said could be said for any game - so what you're basically saying is why bother with PC gaming at all... PC gaming is a huge market.
If you had read my previous posts you'd see that I had said that for me sports games are for consoles. Other generes are maybe more PC. Anyway, It's not all about graphics, when NBA 2K11 will lag on your PC the gameplay will suck.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.