Home
News Post

The NBA 2K9 demo is available for the Playstation 3. Download it and give us your impressions.

NBA 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 821 KENYON06 @ 10/05/08 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Shuttlesworth
Do you have to hold L2/LT in order to complete them or can you just press the pass button?
You hit Y. I think if you check the controls in game, Y is the "call for alley-oop" button when you are playing off the ball on offense. I guess you hold the LT/L2 and pass if you are the inbounder. Dunno though, can you inbound in the Demo w/ no playerlock?

# 822 allBthere @ 10/05/08 10:41 PM
great demo,...i was really impressed.

they've colour corrected to make it look more real, and the animation transitions are much better. The crowd is best by any game ever. My girlfriend hates sports games, and was watching me play the demo and she was amazed.

# 823 BTB @ 10/05/08 11:26 PM
The more I play this, the more I love it. This feels like the game I have been waiting for since 2k2, plus all the new innovations such as sig shots and next gen detail. Amazing.

Cant wait for the full version.

# 824 Scott @ 10/05/08 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB
The more I play this, the more I love it. This feels like the game I have been waiting for since 2k2, plus all the new innovations such as sig shots and next gen detail. Amazing.

Cant wait for the full version.
My thoughts precisely...can't wait til Thursday when I get the game...

# 825 reptilexcq @ 10/06/08 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
Unbelievable. Simply amazing. I can't believe 2K even has receivable alley-oops. I should've known (because it's 2K), but seriously, controlled backboard shots?! Real-time cut-scenes after shots?! Real-time injuries, and sooooo much real-time player interaction and signature style?!
After I make a basket (using Kobe), if I just stand there, he simply pauses and claps his hands, but if I wanna rush to get back on D, he may give a quick fist-pump while running back down court, or he'll react differently depending on the circumstances and my movement of the sticks. It's these types of details I notice that signals something in my brain that says: This is what great games today are about, this is what attention to detail is, this is love for what you do, this is dedication for the fans. And....I just don't understand. Doesn't the other company have more money, resources, staff, etc.? Do they just care less about those who purchase their products? I won't go any further. Thank you, 2k. I proudly give you my $60.
Well real-time cut-scenes are always there in all 2K games. But this game is impressive in a lot of ways like alley-oop is looking much more authentic now....so are charging calls and stealing too. Things like layups and the style of different sort of layups that you can pull off and contact and falling and the severity of contact....everything looking good. Then there is the fadeaway jumpshots that for the first time in an NBA game that it actually look convincing. And there is the crowd animations and arena noise and crowd noise that gets loud and louder depend on situation. Add that with great graphics that makes each player look like their real counterparts and dunk and shoot like themselves make this game even more authentic. Not to mention the AIs improvement...help defense is amazing ...CPUs even try to take charges and aggressive at blocking and rebounding. I can go on and on about this game.......there is a lot of tiny details they put into this game that makes everything look authentic.

# 826 reptilexcq @ 10/06/08 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
My thoughts precisely...can't wait til Thursday when I get the game...
Thurs?? Shouldn't it be Tues?

# 827 DoctorMontalban @ 10/06/08 04:33 AM
Played 4 games in the demo. Some of the gameplay mechanics are great. I like the collision detection and the realistic finishing moves in the paint. It's interesting that any weak post moves get rejected left and right. I like the way the ballhandling feels and the way the ai's D picks up and there's good flow off the ball and good spacing as usual. The only concern I have after a couple of the games is that it was super easy to hit 3's and I hit an unrealistically high pct in my games. It could be the default level and I need a much larger sample size to draw conclusions...but it is a concern I have until I really beat the game up for a while. I'm guessing it'll go away once I get to turn the level up to All-Star or HOF, assuming those are the levels again this year.

# 828 DoctorMontalban @ 10/06/08 04:37 AM
A small thing I LOVED was a loose ball was going out of bounds and the game has such signature moves that KG dove looking SO MUCH like KG and saving it for a breakaway by "Ray Ray" (how great is that on the PA). Did I miss something though in the Fleet Center? The game is so realistic I imagine it must be the case, but, if so, the new championship banners are HORRIBLE with the weird B with the year underneath. Tell me it's some crazy bug...you can't change the Celtics banners like that...can you??? Some chowderhead please straighten me out on that.

# 829 riDIRKulous41 @ 10/06/08 10:12 AM
I keep seeing new animations all the time and this is just the demo....last night I stripped Kobe as he went up for the dunk and when he came down, the ball deflected off his knee and went out of bounds for the turnover....nice!!!!!

# 830 Vast @ 10/06/08 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiedler2k3
I dont know, but after playing the other two games I just cant play this game, it looks too ugly to me, full of jaggies, player models and faces are really bad, they looks like plastics figures, gameplay is good as always, but not enought to guarantee another $60.00, we can have the same for less than $10.00 on 2K6 / 2K7 / 2K8, this game was impresive 3 years ago, now it looks like is starting to show the age, I just dont get it, how a game that looks amazing can get worse instead of better? the court looks like a kids court or something or the players are too big for the court, but something is wrong with scale, on the positive side the game has an incredible attention to the little things and details.
You couldn't pay me enought to play 2k8 over this. Its not even in the same league anymore. and on my 360 the graphics are simply breathtaking. Incredible job VC.

# 831 Stumbleweed @ 10/06/08 11:40 AM
Here are some vids I did for those who can't download the demo or are still on PS2/Xbox... Nothing too noteworthy to point out -- I was basically running the post game for the most part because I took these right after seeing the move list. KG does a great pumpfake then RT + Y move into the paint that looked perfect.

#1 - I'm the Lakers

#2 - controlling the Celtics

#3 (has video intro) Back to the Lakers

# 832 mizzta21 @ 10/06/08 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Here are some vids I did for those who can't download the demo or are still on PS2/Xbox... Nothing too noteworthy to point out -- I was basically running the post game for the most part because I took these right after seeing the move list. KG does a great pumpfake then RT + Y move into the paint that looked perfect.

#1 - I'm the Lakers

#2 - controlling the Celtics

#3 (has video intro) Back to the Lakers
whoa, when saw ur post, i was like why is this dude posting real life video? only to realize after reading ur post and playing them i then knew they were game footage! crazy!

# 833 Stumbleweed @ 10/06/08 12:48 PM
Haha yeah, this game definitely has that quality, especially in lower-quality digicam videos uploaded to YouTube. That hazy look combined with the smooth animations and player faces make it appear extremely real...

# 834 ditchrider1 @ 10/06/08 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMontalban
the new championship banners are HORRIBLE with the weird B with the year underneath. Tell me it's some crazy bug...you can't change the Celtics banners like that...can you??? Some chowderhead please straighten me out on that.
I believe those may be for the Boston Bruins?

# 835 Scott @ 10/06/08 01:33 PM
Finally getting some Isomotion moves down...Have been score 20+ in the past few games.

# 836 spankdatazz22 @ 10/06/08 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
Another testament to the job VC has done with the AI in your vids is it's hard to distinguish who's the human team and who's the cpu team. Thx for the vids

Tomorrow can't get her soon enough

# 837 tehova @ 10/06/08 03:09 PM
Being able to pass out of layups

# 838 dredogg90 @ 10/06/08 03:48 PM
The animations in the demo are amazing! I went in for a layup with Kobe and got blocked by both Perkins and Garnett! The ball bounced off the glass to Gasol who then passed it back to Kobe, who got blocked again by Garnett, but then got the rebound and the eventual layup. The crowd went crazy. The graphics are amazing. 2K8 looks horrible compared to 2k9. The players really look like themselves this year. Odom's head shape is spot on and Kobe's peanut head is deadly accurate. This game is great, and this was just the demo!

# 839 XuanWu @ 10/06/08 08:15 PM
One clear positive this year: Post-Players are actually useful offensively. As has been said before, K.G. is a total beast this year.

In past years he's been nigh on useless besides the defensive end, imho.

I'm noticing there's a LOT of blocked shots though...Which in some way is good if you're over aggressive in just driving it every play...but a tad bit unrealistic nonetheless.

# 840 Rasco11 @ 10/06/08 08:43 PM
The faces and detail are awesome! However, a couple make me squirm...

-Is it just me or does Derek Fisher look more like Michael Wilbon?

-Something is just a little goofy about Ray Allen's facial expressions? I think it is the half smile thing? He looks a little "special" if you know what I mean?

-It looks like Doc Rivers face got in a fight with a grizzly and lost.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.