Home
MLB Front Office Manager News Post

2K Sports’ MLB® Front Office Manager Takes
Fantasy Baseball to a New Level

Legendary General Manager Billy Beane guides gamers
to create, manage and lead an MLB Team to the World SeriesTM

New York, NY– October 9, 2008 – 2K Sports, the sports publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that MLB Front Office Manager, the next step in competitive fandom for baseball enthusiasts, will be available for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and Windows PC this winter. According to Nielsen Media Research, over 3.5 million users signed on to fantasy baseball sites in 2007 and MLB Front Office Manager brings this popular American pastime to console while enhancing the fantasy baseball experience on PC.

MLB Front Office Manager lets gamers do everything a real-life baseball GM can do to develop a team from Spring TrainingTM through a full MLB season, into the playoffs and the World Series. Using Major League teams and players, gamers will create their own fictional baseball universe and build their reputation into elite status. Gamers can replace aging veterans with rookies, scout the Minor Leagues, make blockbuster trades, and even participate in bidding wars for posted players from Japan as they make their way to the Hall of Fame.

“If you have ever dreamed of running your team or thought you could do a much better job than the actual general managers out there then you’ll love MLB Front Office Manager,” said Greg Thomas, senior vice president of sports development at 2K. “Baseball fanatics can now be in the general manager’s chair and see what it’s like to really try to build a World Series winning team.”

A true baseball general manager also acts as a mentor in MLB Front Office Manager. Legendary Oakland Athletics’ GM Billy Beane will offer advice, encouragement and guidance as gamers steer a team through the intense competition that is Major League Baseball. Billy Beane is considered one of the most talented GM’s in baseball today and has turned the Athletics into a consistent postseason contender since being named GM in 1997. Now, in MLB Front Office Manager, he passes that knowledge on to gamers.

“From negotiating trades to scouting new talent, MLB Front Office Manager has all the complexity and realism I could hope for in a game that is simulating what it means to be a Major League Baseball manager,” said Oakland Athletics’ General Manager Billy Beane. “I’m excited to be a part of a game that gives people a real world experience at what it’s like to be in my shoes and take on the responsibility of building a Major League Baseball team.”

MLB Front Office Manager offers two distinct game modes. Become the GM in Career Mode, and manage a team through a 30 year career that will hopefully lead to the Hall of Fame. As the gamer’s knowledge and skill progresses over time, gamers will gain points to improve various areas and help the team win games as a result. With Online Fantasy Mode, create an online head-to-head management experience. With up to 30 Managers in the league, gamers can compete against friends to see who has what it takes to be the best.

MLB Front Office Manager, developed by Blue Castle Games and published by 2K Sports, is not yet rated by the ESRB and will be available for Xbox 360, Windows PC, and PLAYSTATION 3 system this winter. For more information, please visit www.2ksports.com.

Game: MLB Front Office ManagerReader Score: 4.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 TJdaSportsGuy @ 10/09/08 02:24 PM
Looks like it's the baseball version of NFL Head Coach...could be pretty cool.

# 2 DaoudS @ 10/09/08 02:33 PM
I cannot wait for this! I usually simulate a lot more than I play and take pride in youth development. Comes out right during winter meetings too eh

# 3 rspencer86 @ 10/09/08 02:38 PM
Wow, this game could be very sweet if done right.

# 4 mgoblue @ 10/09/08 02:45 PM
DrJones works for Blue Castle Games, hmmmmmm

# 5 bcruise @ 10/09/08 03:37 PM
Hmmm...no mention of a graphical in-game, but I can't imagine anyone putting a text sim on the next-gen consoles.

Sounds interesting, I'll be watching.

# 6 pfunk880 @ 10/09/08 05:22 PM
Could have potential...

# 7 rspencer86 @ 10/09/08 05:28 PM
Quote:
With Online Fantasy Mode, create an online head-to-head management experience. With up to 30 Managers in the league, gamers can compete against friends to see who has what it takes to be the best.
Awesome!

# 8 duke776 @ 10/09/08 05:56 PM
I'll definitely be checking in to see progress on this, my 360 just sits with no game in it and this could possibly cure that if this game is good.

# 9 jaguar8311 @ 10/09/08 06:36 PM
I don't get it, if you want to play a Baseball Management game, play OOTP

Football has no good management games so I understand why Head Coach sells, but for Baseball, against Mogul and OOTP?

You have got to be kidding me 2K

# 10 Knight165 @ 10/09/08 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar8311
I don't get it, if you want to play a Baseball Management game, play OOTP

Football has no good management games so I understand why Head Coach sells, but for Baseball, against Mogul and OOTP?

You have got to be kidding me 2K
Perhaps 2K will offer something those two don't.
Graphics(real graphical representation....not the meager amount you get from those two games) and animations.
I love OOTP...but I've always wanted a game that had even High Heat quality graphics....and announcers.......sorely lacking from those two games for far too long.
I realize that the argument is going to be that those are text sims.....but that would just be the answer to "why another GM game?"(if 2K's game does indeed step it up with graphics.
I made a thread about this in the MLB section two months ago after getting Head Coach...
LINK TO THEAD>>>>>>http://www.operationsports.com/forum...-baseball.html
So now I guess I'm going to have to sue 2K for stealing my idea

M.K.
Knight165

# 11 jaguar8311 @ 10/09/08 07:53 PM
Knight, I respect your opinion but I find this ridicoulous, Head Coach, although I know its the first iteration, is frankly horrible management wise. Coming from 2K, this is going to be a bug-filled game that just takes advantage of the MLB License.

A Text Sim allows the developer to focus on only the Sim, thus maintaining the quality of the game. Games like this and Head Coach will and have bugs from the games that they get their code from, Madden and 2K.

Although I have no experience with 2K, frankly, with Head Coach, passing is far too accurate, Mike Martz playbook is godlike and the running game is ineffective.

Edit: The Idea of a OOTP or EHM with the 2K and NHL engine scares the hell out of me

With a Sim Game, I can imagine in my head what the action is like. I don't want to see the game being limited due to the lack of the running game or cheap playbooks.

FM is a different story because TBH, They have worked on the game for years and I think its reaching its peak in terms of sim ability. They had nowhere else to turn to draw sales.

As Long as these Head Coach and this baseball game are being made, it will always be hampered by the poor quality of the Madden and 2K baseball engine.

# 12 Kelverin @ 10/09/08 07:59 PM
"Windows PC this winter"

That gets my attention!

# 13 Knight165 @ 10/09/08 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar8311
Knight, I respect your opinion but I find this ridicoulous, Head Coach, although I know its the first iteration, is frankly horrible management wise. Coming from 2K, this is going to be a bug-filled game that just takes advantage of the MLB License.

A Text Sim allows the developer to focus on only the Sim, thus maintaining the quality of the game. Games like this and Head Coach will and have bugs from the games that they get their code from, Madden and 2K.

Although I have no experience with 2K, frankly, with Head Coach, passing is far too accurate, Mike Martz playbook is godlike and the running game is ineffective.

Edit: The Idea of a OOTP or EHM with the 2K and NHL engine scares the hell out of me

With a Sim Game, I can imagine in my head what the action is like. I don't want to see the game being limited due to the lack of the running game or cheap playbooks.

FM is a different story because TBH, They have worked on the game for years and I think its reaching its peak in terms of sim ability. They had nowhere else to turn to draw sales.

As Long as these Head Coach and this baseball game are being made, it will always be hampered by the poor quality of the Madden and 2K baseball engine.

Oh yeah...I see where you're coming from.
2K is not exactly instilling confidence in me with it's baseball titles.
I was just trying to put forth why someone might be excited by this.
I would much rather see OOTP or DMB with graphics.
I'm just glad someone is going in this direction. I LOVE manage only/GM games for sports....pretty much any sport
...and the fact that it will be on PC too(MODDING!!!! ) is fantastic!

M.K.
Knight165

# 14 DrJones @ 10/09/08 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue
DrJones works for Blue Castle Games, hmmmmmm
Yes, this is one of the games I'm currently working on (the other hasn't been announced yet). As the publisher, 2K controls the release of information, so I can't make further comments or answer any questions at this time. Sorry.

# 15 Knight165 @ 10/09/08 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Yes, this is one of the games I'm currently working on (the other hasn't been announced yet). As the publisher, 2K controls the release of information, so I can't make further comments or answer any questions at this time. Sorry.
Ah....my "faith" level just went up a notch.

M.K.
Knight165

# 16 spit_bubble @ 10/09/08 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
Yes, this is one of the games I'm currently working on (the other hasn't been announced yet)...

Another game?

Is it baseball as well???

(well, you can't answer, so...)

Ya know... I've always felt there was a market for a separate MLB game with classic teams, players, and stadiums, though I know others will say otherwise...

That would be sweet if it were a classic MLB game.

# 17 gta95 @ 10/09/08 11:49 PM
This could be awesome if it works out right.

# 18 JohnDoe8865 @ 10/10/08 02:03 AM
Very much looking forward to more information on this title as the release comes closer. Will be watching closely.

# 19 boomhauertjs @ 10/10/08 08:17 AM
Instead of making all of these "niche" MLB licensed games, why doesn't 2k focus on fixing their regular MLB game?

# 20 gtm @ 10/10/08 10:37 AM
Awesome. Really looking forward to this. Eventually I'm hoping that they include historical players and of course a good graphical interface. We'll see what the debut of this game will look like first.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.