Home
Madden 09 News Post

Madden Planet has the scoop.

Quote:
"Update #3? At this point, we are not planning to release another update. We will continue to listen to our fans and if any other widespread issues come up we may change this plan but the fixes made in update #2 solved all of the major problems people were experiencing with the game. Those that continued to have problems had success after completely wiping their old Madden data from their hard drive.

DLC? Shortly before the release of Madden NFL 09, we had mentioned that we were looking into the possibility of releasing some post-launch DLC. At this point, DLC isn’t in the cards. Providing DLC is something that will stay on our radar down the road and is certainly something we’d love to provide to our most passionate fans, however at this stage we are no longer actively looking into this for 09."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 NYBorn81 @ 10/18/08 11:50 AM
*Sigh*

Honestly, I personally don't believe that EA cares about what their fans say year after year, all we want is a representation of REAL NFL Football...instead we get some arcadey(?) P.O.S. That seems that its more suited for children, and I think that's exactly what it is, The target for EA is to put out a game that a child can just pick up and play, now I'm only 19 years old, but this game is more suited for my little 8 year old cousin, he's LOVES this game...

So EA doesn't care about us "Hardcore Sim Gamers", they just care about the almighty dollar, because they KNOW year after year the product will be bought by millions, after its hyped up and all the "new" features have been talked about......

Now, I applaud them for finally coming out with this disappointing, and saying their pretty much going to get started on 2010 early after the disappointment that is madden 09....

Well as far as this game goes, its going back to gamestop, and will be traded in for Saints Row 2 and Madden on the PS2....

# 62 jfsolo @ 10/18/08 02:45 PM
First of all every developer that visits these boards should never even hint at the possibility of patches, DLC, or the like. They should know by now that despite most here being adults in terms of age, an adolescent mindset of incessant overreacting prevails(Sorry if I offend anyone, but its true.)

They should keep their mouth shut until things are 100% percent certain, i.e. actually released for use by the public. Better to be railed upon for their silence and perceived apathy, then be accused of underhanded stall tactics.

Although I'm aware of this boards tendency for losing perspective, I'm still somewhat shocked that people here didn't make what I consider to be the logical assumption that there was very little chance of the DLC actually coming out.

Regardless of how flawed the game was, expecting two patches and DLC was pretty optimistic. Especially knowing that we're dealing with a corporate entity that is on a totally different wavelength then us here.

A lot of you might as well get in your mind that you're not going to get Madden 2010 right now and safe yourself some anguish later.

You want to be blown away by the gameplay, A.I., presentation, Franchise mode, and online play. All in one year. I hope no one brings up any nonsense about company X doing so in (insert year here) because its not true. Other great games were build off of the foundation of their previous games.

With this series there are simply too many things that need a major overhaul, and we know there isn't enough time to get it all done in one cycle. You might try and argue otherwise, but given their development methodology we know it isn't going to happen.

So a choice has got to be made. I'm going to choose gameplay, A.I. and Franchise, and selfishly I hope the developers feel the same way.

# 63 RAZRr1275 @ 10/18/08 02:52 PM
This sucks. The dlc was the only thing that was going to get me back into this game.

# 64 swanlee @ 10/18/08 03:19 PM
Well this certainly sucks, we just put our hard earned money down and already they are talking about next year. I'm definately waiting before I buy next years game

If Robo QB and no adjustable cameras are a part of next years game I will definitely NOT buy it.

Sad cause this years game was a few tweaks away from being a really great football game, stupid to rip out cpu sliders and then not have the time to at least put them back in later.

# 65 spankdatazz22 @ 10/18/08 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
You want to be blown away by the gameplay, A.I., presentation, Franchise mode, and online play. All in one year. I hope no one brings up any nonsense about company X doing so in (insert year here) because its not true. Other great games were build off of the foundation of their previous games.

With this series there are simply too many things that need a major overhaul, and we know there isn't enough time to get it all done in one cycle. You might try and argue otherwise, but given their development methodology we know it isn't going to happen.

So a choice has got to be made. I'm going to choose gameplay, A.I. and Franchise, and selfishly I hope the developers feel the same way.
While I agree w/you in principle, you also have to factor in the length of time this situation has existed. That's a large part of why there's so much frustration. If Madden 09 were really Madden 06 or 07, the situation would be a little more understandable. But to be going 5yrs later into 2010 and hoping they fix fundamental issues like the OL play? From that standpoint they deserve to be called out - particularly when they seem to have no problems accepting praise when it's given. Once it's been said too many times, "wait till next year" rings hollow.

# 66 boooey @ 10/18/08 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
Now, let me talk about why I wonder about their overall knowledge of pro football as a whole which I think is a problem. I'm not talking X's and O's. I'm talking about basic, natural occurences, and history. Little things reveal issues as much as big things. There are extreme things like how players can make plays that defy the laws of physics on a regular basis, and then there are small things like during the loading screen where NFL Facts that any NFL fan would know are wrong. I laughed when one fact said that the Steelers won Super Bowl 30, but we all know they were beaten by the Cowboys 27-17, and there are a few more that just make you shake your head and laugh. You know 10-year old little Billy wouldn't notice, but gamers have grown up. A lot of the 25 yo+ crowd is still playing and they will notice things like that.
I agree 100% with this also... I actually like Madden 09 now, and have some fun games most of the time.
But during every game I can count on at least 5 things that really ruin my experience.

And its little things that have no reason to be screwed up.. like

1. Cannot see a field goal cross through the uprights.
I can't tell you guys how annoying this is to me, when I have to go to rewind and watch the play like 5 times just to see exactly how close i came to making or missing the field goal because the dam camera cuts away right as the ball approaches the crossbar.
What are you thinking EA?? sheeesh!!! fix this please.

2. Even some of my touchdown passes are a bittersweet experience.
Because my laser thrown touchdown pass was thrown running backwards against the grain opposite of my throwing arm.

3. Halftime/Postgame show.
There is none, no need to explain this one.

4. TD Celebrations.
Sometimes I can't get to the blue box in time to see a custom celebration. So annoying. Who could possibly think running to a blue box on the field just to initiate a custom celebration is a good idea? This is like amateur programming. its unbelievable that this idea actually made it into the game.

I can go on all day, but this isn't really the thread for this.. I just want to point out that its little things like this for me that sour the Madden experience.

Little things that if you are a true football fan, would and should never of been screwed up like this in Madden 09, and made it into the game.

"The little things... there's nothing bigger"
- Movie: Vanilla Sky

# 67 baumy300 @ 10/18/08 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZRr1275
This sucks. The dlc was the only thing that was going to get me back into this game.
Ditto.

All I wanted was CPU sliders. It's sad when you need to start placing CPU sliders as your top priority on a next gen sports game wishlist

# 68 mwjr @ 10/18/08 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJenness
These are all easy remarks to make if YOU are satisfied with the game, however, I think you're in the minority as far as that goes (or it's at least 50/50 now...read the thread about "is Madden broken"). I've seen some pretty hardcore Maddenites jump ship this year...myself included.
If they bought the game, then they didn't really "jump ship," so to speak.

# 69 mwjr @ 10/18/08 06:31 PM
Quote:
This year now being the 2010 version..........and I would certainly consider it "jumping ship" if so many people are trading 09 in or selling it already, as it's only two freaking months old!
Except that EA already got their money.

IMO, the online availability of gaming systems has been a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's been great for people who play online and has opened up a whole new universe.

On the other hand, I am fully convinced that it's made game developers - specifically sports game developers - lazy, as they know they can fix things via patches.

# 70 Scoop 24 @ 10/18/08 06:44 PM
well i guess that puts the final nail in the coffin for madden for me.. see you next year EA.

# 71 SoxFan01605 @ 10/18/08 06:52 PM
Quote:
These are all easy remarks to make if YOU are satisfied with the game, however, I think you're in the minority as far as that goes (or it's at least 50/50 now...read the thread about "is Madden broken"). I've seen some pretty hardcore Maddenites jump ship this year...myself included.

For me, sliders held at least the POSSIBILITY of having a current NFL game to play this year....now that pipe dream died with this announcement.
lol...you bolded and focused on the disclaimer point in what I wrote and ignored the point. First, I understand that people think Madden is broken...that is not the point. The freezing issues (for those having them) are the only thing "breaking" this game though, and there was nothing in the DLC that would relieve that. This isn't an issue of whether the game is good, bad, or anything in between. The DLC held no promise of making the game "playable" by any means. The CPU sliders you keep holding onto would have been the same CPU sliders as the last several Maddens. Why would they update something they took out of the game in the first place? They were simply plugging the old sliders back into the game. The Madden sliders have NEVER been truly effective. Did sliders help the last three next gen Maddens?Now you expect them to save 09 for you? This is where you lose me.

I think Madden has a long way to go. In fact, the ONLY reason I purchased it was my own admitted impatience and desire to get NFL HC early. I am fine with my purchase because HC is awesome and Madden plays as I expected it would. My expecations weren't ramped up because I know what Madden has been on next gen and I knew what 09 was because I researched before I bought. I have no more resources for consumer research than you or anyone else, yet I felt prepared for what I got and you seem to feel duped. This is why I don't understand the feeling of betrayal about the DLC. It was never promised, the features added were never gauranteed to improve gameplay, the main "gamebreaking" issues would not be addressed, etc. This is my point. Your Madden is no different today than it was when patch #2 came out. If you were done then, you should be no more or less done now.

For the record, I am not "satisfied" with Madden, and never said I was. I am satisfied with my purchase because I knew what I was getting with Madden and I gambled (and won)on the purchase for NFL HC. If the data is available (and if you are patient with your purchases, it always is) and you make your purchase regardless, you have to at least shoulder part of the blame for your unsatisfactory purchase. People say they don't make the games, but they're only half right. Their wallets play a large role in how their product is developed. Do you think Ian, Phil, and co. were put up front for Madden just for kicks? It was likely a response (and time will tell whether or not it was an effective one) to stagnant sales and an increasingly vocal minority of "sim" gamers tired of what Madden puts out each year.

There are complaints they hear and act upon, believe me, but uproar over something that was never definitively going to be a part of the game (and would have never made it better from a gameplay standpoint anyway...which everyone contends is their primary concern) is rediculous IMO. I, myself, will not be buying Madden on day one (as I never do...product research, remember) next year and if franchise and more core gameplay features aren't addressed, I won't purchase it at all. I won't be mad about it, I won't be "let down." I'll just do something else. I will continue, like you and many others, to voice my opinion about the game. I want it to be better too. I just won't fall apart over everything that relates to it.

# 72 RGiles36 @ 10/18/08 07:35 PM
I'm not going to quote SoxFan's reply as not to clutter the page. However, I agree with his sentiments 100%.

# 73 chainsaw4099 @ 10/18/08 09:05 PM
would anyone pay for dlc if that what it would take to get released?

# 74 green94 @ 10/18/08 09:17 PM
My question I guess would be why?

Second would be, if this is a Microsoft issue, why not throw your PS3 fanbase a bone.

Third, this is a HUGE disappointment.

# 75 DocHolliday @ 10/18/08 09:29 PM
Madden next gen is the biggest video game dissapointment of all time.

# 76 boooey @ 10/18/08 11:06 PM
I just hope there is more attention to detail in 2010.

Anyone notice that Tom Hammond doesn't even pronounce the company name correctly?

He says "This game has been brought to you by EA Sport"
I believe for the last 20 years or so, its been EA Sports if i remember correctly.

I mean , come on.. how does someone not fix this before it gets put into the game?
i am really embarrassed for the entire dev team for some of the unnecessary problems in this game.

# 77 PVarck31 @ 10/19/08 12:04 AM
Not surprising at all. I sold madden a month ago. Its sad really. The whole thing is sad. Honestly guys I don't think we will get the game we want, and deserve, until EA decides to can Tiburon and go with a new developer.

# 78 Spanky @ 10/19/08 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Segagendude
There will probably be shinier helmets and twice the amount of camera flashes.
Yes, and they will put the CPU sliders back in.

However, they will also take out the AFC West, not realizing that, like CPU sliders, some of us feel that having all the teams in the game is somewhat important.

But fear not, perhaps a patch or DLC will put the AFC West back into the game.

Or maybe we'll just have to wait until Madden 2011.

# 79 Vikes1 @ 10/19/08 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo

This in my opinion, is something very much worth remembering.

# 80 ofdman @ 10/19/08 02:56 AM
I really wish that the general vibe of this thread were the same vibe throughout the entire Madden buying gamers out there but I am afraid it isn't. And, what's worse is that EA KNOWS THIS so we, the hardcore, will NEVER get the football game we want/deserve because of the "casual" gamer that EA only cares about.

Madden sucks and has for years. I don't have ANY faith for 2010 and I for one am done with it. I'll obviously check out this website after it hits and see what folks are saying but I have no faith whatsoever in EA anymore when it comes to Madden.

And for GOD'S SAKE CHANGE THE NAME!! If EA REALLY went back to the drawing board for 2010's game then i'd love nothing more (well, I mean, other than a GREAT representation of football) than a name change! Call it NFL 2010. NO MORE MADDEN!

PROOF to us that you have moved on EA! Get rid of the name once and for all!

And yes, I am fully aware that it is brand recognition but I still want it changed.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.