Home
Madden 09 News Post

Madden Planet has the scoop.

Quote:
"Update #3? At this point, we are not planning to release another update. We will continue to listen to our fans and if any other widespread issues come up we may change this plan but the fixes made in update #2 solved all of the major problems people were experiencing with the game. Those that continued to have problems had success after completely wiping their old Madden data from their hard drive.

DLC? Shortly before the release of Madden NFL 09, we had mentioned that we were looking into the possibility of releasing some post-launch DLC. At this point, DLC isn’t in the cards. Providing DLC is something that will stay on our radar down the road and is certainly something we’d love to provide to our most passionate fans, however at this stage we are no longer actively looking into this for 09."

Game: Madden NFL 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: NDS / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 88 - View All
Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 umd @ 10/19/08 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I'll be sure to run future investments by you first.

BTW: How good are you in reading the stock market? I am looking to do a little shuffling of my portfolio.
Since you love EA gameplay so much, I suggest Enron and Lehman Brothers for starters.

# 102 rckabillyRaider @ 10/19/08 01:49 PM
Anybody know the trade in value for madden CE?

# 103 ComfortablyLomb @ 10/19/08 01:51 PM
What a joke. Another incomplete Madden.

# 104 countryboy @ 10/19/08 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umd
Since you love EA gameplay so much, I suggest Enron and Lehman Brothers for starters.
Nah, they don't fit into my investment plans. Damn, and I was hoping you actually knew something.

Let me ask you something. Why does it bother you so much that I enjoy Madden gameplay or that I went out and bought the PS2? Just curious. I mean, if you're going to call me out, the least you can do is have the balls to explain your reasoning.

# 105 Jukeman @ 10/19/08 03:07 PM
DLC would have been nice and CPU sliders could have help the game in all but after I just read that fatigue was taken out to counter no huddle online, I'm done with madden...Time to trade CE in along with HC(which is good but flawed aswhile, have more fun watching and building my team in CH2K8) I hated nfl2k5 but it look like I will be buying that game asasp......in the year 2008 it sorry to say my favorite Madden of all time is madden 94...that's like 3 generations of gaming ago!!!!!! Like others said, there are far more things wrong with madden than the lack of accl. Clock and CPU sliders, but when I hear them taking IMPORTANT elements in sports out to help online play, man that is worst than the NFL saying no hitting the QB......

# 106 DrUrsus @ 10/19/08 03:25 PM
I haven't played Madden much at all this year. Just a few practice games. I have been waiting for the DLC for the CPU sliders and accelerated clock mostly. I am VERY dissapointed and angry to be honest with you to hear this news. Why did they even let us think at all that they were going to release a DLC and then not do it. I don't want to speculate on their motivations whether they were bad or good, but I for one, will never believe anything EA has to say from now on until I see it with my own eyes.

Sincerely,

Angry and Dissapointed EA consumer

As President Bush said, Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice..., I won't be fooled again!

# 107 TheTodd84 @ 10/19/08 03:46 PM
So here is how it works... EA has investors they must report to. The investors do not give two ***ts about the quality of the game. All they want is the game to sell so they make their money. If the investors talk bad about EA because their game did not sell as much, then EA's stock drops and they lose money.

That is exactly why their game is the same every year. Remember that "corruption" on wall street that got us into this economic crisis? Here is a perfect example of that corruption.

Anyway, truth aside, here is what EA continues to fail to realize. "Casual gamers" or little kids do not play video games often, and the games they play are NOT madden or most sports games. That is just a fact. My little brother plays video games all the time. But he plays Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War and World of Warcraft. He has never ONCE touched Madden, and he is 18.

Specialized sports games such as Madden are SUPPOSED to be geared toward hardcore gamers and are NOT supposed to be a company's cash cow. Killer-apps are supposed to the cash cow that keeps your company afloat. When you have a sports game as your "killer-app" like madden is, you have this corruption because it is forced to come out every year, with set deadlines.

Sports games are meant to be geared toward hardcore sports fans, not 6 year olds who can barely read. EA has their priorities wrong because of corrupt investors in Wall Street.

Simple as that folks. So, if you want to see Madden change, root for continued downturn in the Stock Market, so that the corrupt investors and speculators are forced to go away. Otherwise, just boycott the game.

# 108 rckabillyRaider @ 10/19/08 03:50 PM

# 109 TheTodd84 @ 10/19/08 03:50 PM
Reality sucks, but that is the way it is. You want the corrupt investors to go away? STOP buying the game. Stop caring about the game. Just don't buy it. This corruption is caused by a lack of competition. ANd I know that people buy it because it's the only game in town and we all LOVE football.

But this is why things are the way they are. So, you will have to suck it up, and NOT buy the game for one year, just one year. Make their stock plummet. They will panic when they see that people are serious about boycotting the game and change their ways. Until you gamers are willing to do that, it will be the same old crap every year.

I boycotted madden. I did, I have not bought the next-gen version since 2007. I've boycotted the last two. I've had enough of their garbage.

# 110 TheTodd84 @ 10/19/08 03:56 PM
And, it's funny, because I am such a college football fan, I bought NCAA this year. Here is an interesting story for your guys:

My roommate just got his degree in video game design and is a QA (Quality Assurance) guy for THq here in Phoenix. He was watching me play NCAA one day cuz he was sick of hearing me yell at the TV about stuff in the game that "would never happen" in real life. lol. Anyway, needless to say, he was watching it and going, "god, those animations are awful. That's not how guys tackle in real life." He also commented on how awful the running looked. He said the players had no resemblance to real people.

So if my roommate, who is a QA guy tells me all this stuff, that is alarming. Just thought you guys would like to hear that. The problem is EA's, not industry-wide. THey don't care because of their investors.

# 111 supdood @ 10/19/08 03:56 PM
This is hopeless. I was expecting good news, but nope. They all got our hopes up with "Hidden messages" such as "Update will be by this weekend". What is "Update"? They just didn't want an uprising so instead of explaining what "Update" was, they made it that were assuming an actual update to the game is coming.

I for one, will not buy another Madden again. Chances are, after 4 years, they still can't get it right. Gameplay is awful. Online is great! That's where the flaw is. This game was geared for the online player since the exploitation of Madden tourneys and that stupid ESPN show about those Madden gamers.

Well, i'm highly disappointed and im sure many of you are. Now is the time to show EA that we, as consumers, mean "business", because this business is crap.

# 112 DrUrsus @ 10/19/08 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTodd84
So here is how it works... EA has investors they must report to. The investors do not give two ***ts about the quality of the game. All they want is the game to sell so they make their money. If the investors talk bad about EA because their game did not sell as much, then EA's stock drops and they lose money.

That is exactly why their game is the same every year. Remember that "corruption" on wall street that got us into this economic crisis? Here is a perfect example of that corruption.

Anyway, truth aside, here is what EA continues to fail to realize. "Casual gamers" or little kids do not play video games often, and the games they play are NOT madden or most sports games. That is just a fact. My little brother plays video games all the time. But he plays Call of Duty, Halo, Gears of War and World of Warcraft. He has never ONCE touched Madden, and he is 18.

Specialized sports games such as Madden are SUPPOSED to be geared toward hardcore gamers and are NOT supposed to be a company's cash cow. Killer-apps are supposed to the cash cow that keeps your company afloat. When you have a sports game as your "killer-app" like madden is, you have this corruption because it is forced to come out every year, with set deadlines.

Sports games are meant to be geared toward hardcore sports fans, not 6 year olds who can barely read. EA has their priorities wrong because of corrupt investors in Wall Street.

Simple as that folks. So, if you want to see Madden change, root for continued downturn in the Stock Market, so that the corrupt investors and speculators are forced to go away. Otherwise, just boycott the game.
Are you serious? LOL, you obviously don't own stock, mutual funds, have an IRA etc. like many of us here or you wouldn't want to root against the stock market. I have lost one half of my net worth in less than a month. Plus, rooting against the stock market is not good in the long run for people's jobs. Anyone with any sense would not root for the stock market to go down just to help Madden (if your premise is correct, which I don't fully agree with anyway). You have some points in your message, but rooting against the stock market doesn't help anyone. I hope that you are just trying to make your point and aren't serious.

# 113 koebner @ 10/19/08 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
Anybody know the trade in value for madden CE?
Last I saw,via CAG,was $38.

# 114 rckabillyRaider @ 10/19/08 04:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koebner
Last I saw,via CAG,was $38.
whats CAG?? I only have gamestops in my area and also FYE

# 115 TheTodd84 @ 10/19/08 05:39 PM
DrUrsus... Of course I don't ACTUALLY want the stock market to crash. I was just trying to make a point.

And if you don't think EA does that b/c of the investors, then you are naive. The Investors want a game each year that will sell. You don't own stock in EA or give them any money, so your influence and opinion, as well as mine, mean nothing. That is what I mean by the corruption on wall street. And that is how it works.

I am sorry to hear you lost so much money, I really hope things get better for you, but I was just being sarcastic.

But, if you want to make a statement, no one buy the game next year, and when the sales plummet, so will the stock, and the investors will listen, so will EA. Otherwise, forget it

# 116 TheTodd84 @ 10/19/08 05:40 PM
oh and in that last statement, I meant I was being sarcastic about wanting a stock market crash, not about you getting your money back. I truly do wish you the best.

# 117 Revolution42 @ 10/19/08 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
There are some serious reamings going on here. I'm seeing some guys here who--just from me searching a bit--l see have been the staunchest most fiery supporters of Madden over many years, now exploding. Shocking stuff.

I rented Madden 09 this year after the tragedy that was Madden 08 (one of the worst football games of all time in my view). I liked Madden 09 after that rental, and I still do. But there is no way I can deny that this game is way behind and with a lot of sloppy mistakes. But a lot of the things are just a result of making bad design decisions, not giving the user more say-so over their experience, and having what appears to be an internal confusion as to whether this game should be presented as an non-serious presentation of football (not even the casuals want that!), or a TV Football broadcast (which is what it should've been from day one with Madden 06). When you begin to run down all of the broadcast elements missing from a game that was touted as "beyond broadcast presentation" you can't help but laugh a bit. You almost want them to make a public apology for that slogan, lol. The disparity between that slogan and the reality that played out in Madden 09, would be akin to your friend telling you he has a HOT girl for you to meet, you show up, and then he introduces you to Rosie O'Donnell...

Still, I acknowledge the improvements in the game. I honestly didn't expect much more than what Madden 09 is after playing Madden 08. I do expect Madden 2010 to be that pivotal game, even though the thought of that is a little ridiculous going now 5 seasons in. But, this is where we are. Sad, but this is where we are.

Testing/Quality Control is obviously a problem with this product, and after reading through posts here, watching Youtube videos, and also personally agreeing, it would be wise for the devs to just acknowledge the definite problem and take some extreme measures to rectify it. Denying the testing/quality control issues isn't helping the product.

By now, I'm sure they've all had the opportunity to identify which guys in these communities have the most insight on what's wrong with the game. It's time to start making some private invitations to get some of those guys into the testing and concept development process, and I'm sure most if not all would do it for free. Public Beta demos would be the smartest way to go, but for streamlining purposes selecting a smaller group might be more effective.

Now, let me talk about why I wonder about their overall knowledge of pro football as a whole which I think is a problem. I'm not talking X's and O's. I'm talking about basic, natural occurences, and history. Little things reveal issues as much as big things. There are extreme things like how players can make plays that defy the laws of physics on a regular basis, and then there are small things like during the loading screen where NFL Facts that any NFL fan would know are wrong. I laughed when one fact said that the Steelers won Super Bowl 30, but we all know they were beaten by the Cowboys 27-17, and there are a few more that just make you shake your head and laugh. You know 10-year old little Billy wouldn't notice, but gamers have grown up. A lot of the 25 yo+ crowd is still playing and they will notice things like that.

Then there are the obvious mistakes with the Hall of Fame players. In '07 they did a decent job, but since then they've been totally screwed up. When you don't get Joe Montana right, a GOAT QB, it's time to just stop even making HOF players. It's disgraceful to have Joe Montana in the game and then give him the wrong equipment... And what makes it worse is that you can't edit the HOFer's. And you know what? He was screwed up in '08 too, so obviously the guys working on this have no clue as to what Joe Montana wore and what he looked like among other players. Guys, it's time to hit the books, grab some NFL Films and study up hard on the history of the NFL. When you start from there and digest this into your thinking, you will almost certainly be looking at Madden in a whole new way. I promise that doing this exercise will make the game better just by it having an influence on your approach.

... I think the problem isn't just programming, it's also mindset and philosophy. The core philosophy of Madden is not serious football, and that issue carries over to how the game is presented, too.

There are guys in communities like these that could help them eliminate a lot of these problems. It just comes down to whether they're going to use them or not. Wishlists aren't enough. The inolvement has to be direct. If not, we'll be right back here year after year, talking about the same problems.
The "Rosie O'Donnell" statement....an excellent analogy on many levels.

..........maybe next year.............probably not....but maybe, just maybe. Ok...who am I fooling...

# 118 rudyjuly2 @ 10/19/08 07:01 PM
The biggest mistake was for EA to ever come on the boards and talk about the DLC. It was assumed by many to be a reality. It's like promising little Jimmy some ice cream after dinner if he finishes his meal. And after he finishes eating all his vegetables, you look in the freezer and see there's no ice cream. Not only does little Jimmy get no ice cream, the parents don't even tell him why. They just say, "Sorry Jimmy. We lied. We're not giving you any ice cream so go to bed." Jimmy just got shafted and never even got an explanation. The lack of an explanation is what makes it that much worse.

I'm sure Ian and Phil meant well when they promised the DLC. But they should at least have the guts to come on here and say we screwed up and why. Even if they can't say everything, say something.

# 119 bjf1377 @ 10/19/08 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckabillyRaider
whats CAG?? I only have gamestops in my area and also FYE
CAG = www.cheapa**gamer.com (link works, I just self-censored). Its a website that has a forums where the users post about a lot of gaming & DVD deals

# 120 SoxFan01605 @ 10/19/08 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
The biggest mistake was for EA to ever come on the boards and talk about the DLC. It was assumed by many to be a reality. It's like promising little Jimmy some ice cream after dinner if he finishes his meal. And after he finishes eating all his vegetables, you look in the freezer and see there's no ice cream. Not only does little Jimmy get no ice cream, the parents don't even tell him why. They just say, "Sorry Jimmy. We lied. We're not giving you any ice cream so go to bed." Jimmy just got shafted and never even got an explanation. The lack of an explanation is what makes it that much worse.

I'm sure Ian and Phil meant well when they promised the DLC. But they should at least have the guts to come on here and say we screwed up and why. Even if they can't say everything, say something.
This would be an excellent analogy if we were actually promised the DLC. We weren't. All the anger over this is based on people getting their hopes up for no valid reason. EA has a history of not coming through with certain things, particularly in regards to Madden. Why so many people got their hopes up over an EA "hopefully" scenerio is beyond me. While I believe Ian and Phill had good intentions with their sharing of a DLC proposition, I think it was a poor idea given the nature of this community. They were in a lose-lose in this situation unless the DLC is released (and they could have actually still lost with many even if that happened...just look through the forum). They don't share info, they get slammed. They share info and we don't like it...they get slammed. My opinion on the actual value of the DLC to gameplay withstanding, the shock and anger this news has generated-given the history of Madden on next gen- is laughable to me.

That said, I do agree with you that some type of explaination or reasoning would be nice. Personally, I'd like to know where the decision came from and what the basis was. I'd imagine though, that they've probably learned by now that nothing they say will matter all that much anyway. Unless they come on and say "on second thought, here's the DLC," no one b*tching now will believe there is a good reason to why there isn't DLC (they may or may not be right...separate discussion). If anything a response now would probably be borderline (or maybe not so borderline) counter-productive. In any case, I'm still interested to see what direction Ian takes Madden 2010. No more or less interested than before this news, but curious nonetheless.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.