Home
News Post

To coincide with its release, we have three copies of MotoGP 08 to give away today. To enter you need to leave a comment and tell us...

"What is your favorite motorbike video game of all time and why?"

The best three answers will be chosen by a group of OS staff members and sent a copy of MotoGP 08 on the console of their choice.

MotoGP 08 ships today on PS3, Xbox 360, PS2 and PC. For more information check out the official MotoGP 08 website as well as our Media section.

Game: MotoGP 08Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
MotoGP 08 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 funky_chicken @ 10/27/08 10:19 AM
My favorite motorbike game is Road Rash. Me and my buddies spend many hours playing that game. It was sim by no means but just a fun game. We were constantly trying to upgrade our bikes and knock each other off their ride. Road Rash was just a simple, straightforward and fun game.

# 2 bronco92 @ 10/27/08 11:01 AM
Ding ding ding... funky_chicken is the first winner simply by being the first to reply. Two more games to go...

Funky, send me a PM with your name, postal address and console of choice.

# 3 NZ Buccaneer @ 10/27/08 11:16 AM
Not really a 100% bike game - but Midnight Club: Dub edition was the most fun I had on bikes - the game did an incredible job of simulating the feeling of going crazy fast, with just the right amount of speed/control

# 4 Kruza @ 10/27/08 11:18 AM
Road Rash is a good call. That game was great for the 3DO system back in the day.

My all time favorite motorcycle game was SEGA's arcade version of Manx TT. It was such a unique and awesome experience back when it came out. The vibrating bike, the tilting first-person camera view, and last but not least... the treacherous Isle of Man course. Classic game in my book. The Saturn version was decent, but it was impossible for this version to replicate the experience of leaning into the turns while sitting on the bike.

Although I haven't played many PC games over the years, this particular version of SBK 2000 was another favorite of mine.

And lastly... as far as consoles go, my favorite to date is Moto GP '07. A lot of people have been turned off by this game as it's been perceived to not have progressed much in gameplay or features since MotoGP 3. But I personally think '07 the best version of the series.

Kruza

# 5 Stormyhog @ 10/27/08 11:56 AM
My favourite motorbike game is the original Excitebike on the 8-bit nintendo. The reason I loved that game so much was that it was fun and accessiable and you could create your own tracks with the track editor which was pretty robust for a game back then. Sure their have been better games graphically since then but excitebike still excites to this day and is truly one of the great's in terms of motorbike games.

# 6 funky_chicken @ 10/27/08 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormyhog
My favourite motorbike game is the original Excitebike on the 8-bit nintendo. The reason I loved that game so much was that it was fun and accessiable and you could create your own tracks with the track editor which was pretty robust for a game back then. Sure their have been better games graphically since then but excitebike still excites to this day and is truly one of the great's in terms of motorbike games.
I forgot all about Excitebike. I remember stuffing many quarters in the machine playing that game until it came out on Nintendo.

# 7 Tarheelia @ 10/27/08 12:47 PM
I'm going to go with Excitebike 64. I know, I know it's technically a 3D version of the original...but they knocked it out of the park. I just remember the audio in that game was top shelf. Whenever you hit the throttle it just made the game so much better from a sound stand point.

Now let's not forget the graphics. The graphics were just awesome, especially if you had the N64 Expansion Pack.

Multiplayer was a blast as well, four players? Dirtbikes? You kiddin' me? At the time it was just blissful.

I really can't put it in words, but from the sounds, to the mud flying up, and the awesome graphics. Excitebike 64 takes the cake for me. I enjoyed Road Rash (and yes I can admit, I liked Road Rash 3D), and of course MotoGP on the original XBOX...but I can probably still fire up Excitebike 64 and spend a few hours in notalgia world.

# 8 forensicd @ 10/27/08 12:52 PM
Moto GP has always been a huge question mark for me, as I knew very little about it, but heard so many great things from the racing community. This year I made the trip up to Indy to see it in real life for the first time, and needless to say, I have been hooked ever since then. Prior to this, I had played alot of motor cycle based games, from Excitebike to the countless off-road games on the original playstation, however, there was something lacking. I am a huge SIM based racing fan, and after watching the real MotoGP, i went out and rented motogp 07. It blew my mind, as it combined the amazing speed of the actual motoGP circuits with the sim based style that I missed in prior bike racing games. Every since then, I have been hooked on all things MotoGP, watching them every weekend and picked up 07 used. I even got my son watching it now, and he has begun to collect some diecast of Nickey Hayden bikes.

# 9 yamabushi @ 10/27/08 02:12 PM
Racing Destruction set for the Commodore 64 (it had bikes). Amazing track editor that let you control gravity! Spent hours with my friends trying to build the wildest tracks with Moon GRAVITY!!

# 10 JohnDoe8865 @ 10/27/08 02:38 PM
Road Rash on the Sega Genesis was my first really awesome experience with bikes in a video games. Then I played Road Rash 2 and was blown away at the improvements. it felt like the other racers had personalities. It was an amazing game.

I remember the first bike upgrade I could afford was the Panda 5000. It had increased acceleration and better top end speed, but it was very "squirrelly" in the turns, didn't handle nearly as well as your default bike.

Then I eventually got Road Rash 3D when I got a PS1. It still had the trademark fighting, the over the top opponent personalities, the rivals, and the sense of speed, but something was lost in the translation to me. It was still a lot of fun, but didn't seem to impact me as much as Road Rash 2.

I would absolutely love to see a next gen Road Rash.

That said, I have played the MotoGP series before as well. Played MotoGP 07 as a rental, and MotoGP 3 on PS2 before that. They are fun games, but do require a good amount of skill and strategy - which I like. The dual brakes system, as someone mentioned earlier, is the toughest part to get accustomed to after racing four wheel automobiles for years on consoles and PC. The 07 game was gorgeous and I'm sure 08 is even better in that regard. The MotoGP games are a very good, solid sim racing series in my opinion.

# 11 Dante_X @ 10/27/08 03:53 PM
my favorite one was Moto Racer. I had a blast playing this game back in the days. It has impressive graphics for the time (1997/1998 I believe) and with a 3dfx card it was awesome. The tracks were limited but the fun wasn't. The funniest thing is that I got that game at my local Staples for like $4 because of a scanning error or something like that.

Moto Racer 2 was good though, but not as the first one.

# 12 shawnj @ 10/27/08 04:29 PM
My favorite motorbike game of all time is GP500. This was/is a PC game based on
500cc two stroke Grand Prix racing. Over the course of years it has gathered a very large community that developes "Mods" that keep it fresh even when the original developers stopped supporting it. These include new skins for the bikes and riders, from MotoGP 990's to MotoGP 800's, World Superbike, World Supersport. They also developed new physics and sound to resemble the different racing series as well as skins for streetbikes. Best of all is they are all made available for free!

- Shawnj

# 13 colkilla @ 10/27/08 08:19 PM
excitebike (nes). that is all...

# 14 Richzilla @ 10/27/08 09:27 PM
I liked Tourist Trophy: The Real Riding Simulator

It was kind of like grand turismo for bikes

# 15 asu666 @ 10/28/08 06:11 PM
I loved the original Moto GP on Xbox. It came out right about the same time as Xbox LIVE and was the first solid online experience I had on my Xbox. Moto GP did not have the annoying time penalties for touching the out of bounds area around the track and it didn't really matter because in the early days of LIVE there was a level of respect while everyone was getting use to the service that is difficult to come by in large random groups of online players today. The loss of speed was enough to discourage most forms f cheating and kept the game closer to reality than those that followed it.

The level of detail in the tracks, bikes, riders, and gear was amazing for its day. I remember the feeling of going through tight hairpins turns and wondering if I tried to excellerate just a split second sooner if my back tire would begin to loose grip and spin the bike out from under my rider. Before then that was never a worry. The games that came before the original MotoGP on Xbox never quiet got the physics right. Moto GP was a graphical and gameplay powerhouse that still has a place in my collection and in my opinion has yet to be equaled. It helped launch Xbox Live and ushered in a new era of moto racing simulations. A true classic.

# 16 lnin0 @ 10/28/08 07:59 PM
Before they had the XBOX360 Microsoft published PC games and possibly the best moto game ever created - Motocross Madness 2. Maybe it is just built up in my memories or maybe it was from a time when I, and gamers were less cynical, but I don't recall ever having as much fun with bikes since. It is also the first motocross game I remember racing with a friend online - zipping across what then seemed like a massive open world, hitting big air and doing your best super man before bailing into a cactus. Many motorcycle games have come and gone since, even a few from Rainbow Studios, but nothing for me has captured the fresh taste of oil and grit like Motocross Madness 2...although the birth of Live with MotoGP bundled came close to same that magical feeling.

# 17 Garrett67 @ 10/28/08 09:22 PM
Motocross Madness 2 was a motocross lovers dream on PC. There was a track editor and the MM2 community was right up there with the MVP Mods community with all of the upgrades and tracks that people spend COUNTLESS hours on.

I can remember staying up until 2am on a work night just to race with some of those guys, only to finish in last place just about every time.

In all honesty, I don't think the game as been matched since its release in terms of pure excitement and game play.
I know MX Unleashed is based off of MM2 but its basically the same idea.

# 18 Garrett67 @ 10/28/08 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lnin0
Before they had the XBOX360 Microsoft published PC games and possibly the best moto game ever created - Motocross Madness 2. Maybe it is just built up in my memories or maybe it was from a time when I, and gamers were less cynical, but I don't recall ever having as much fun with bikes since. It is also the first motocross game I remember racing with a friend online - zipping across what then seemed like a massive open world, hitting big air and doing your best super man before bailing into a cactus. Many motorcycle games have come and gone since, even a few from Rainbow Studios, but nothing for me has captured the fresh taste of oil and grit like Motocross Madness 2...although the birth of Live with MotoGP bundled came close to same that magical feeling.
Crap, didn't even see this post.

I still have the game actually, its buried somewhere.

Good call.

# 19 bronco92 @ 10/28/08 11:04 PM
Comp closed... the winners are... http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=276670

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.