Home
NCAA March Madness 09 News Post

Some stuff you already knew:

Playable teams are Tennesse, Kentucky, 1979 North Carolina and 1982 Michigan State.

You play one half, which is locked at 8 minutes.

Pratice gym from Live is a half court blacktop on campus grounds.

Lots of half court traps and full court presses.

One dude I passed to was completely out of bounds. Only happened once though.

If you liked Live, you should like this as well.

NCAA Basketball 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Basketball 09Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 29 - View All
NCAA Basketball 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 Tomba @ 11/07/08 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
It's poo! And I don't mean Mr. Hankey!

It's just not as good as the series has been before. I'll be trading my copy in tomorrow for Gears 2 and I never trade games...

But I'm not playing the trash anymore after tonight. I've tried every slider set and rosters file in the 2k threads and its just not working for me anymore. I'm tired of the outdated graphics engine, sliding, no defense, lazy roster updates (so called living rosters) And I'm tired of the CPU cheating you out of victories..I played 2 games tonight where I had big leads and the cpu actually took control of my players where they ran off players on defense and let them score freely. And then had me throwing up numerous air balls from short range. I even had layup that hit the bottom of the rim or the edge on fastbreaks...and they ran it back for a score....2k9 is broken.

(BACK ON TOPIC)

I love this demo and the footplanting is done extremely well, and presentation is better but needs a few more touches. Classic Teams look classic now, even with the old Chuck Taylor's on....

Day 1 purchase and can't wait to begin the roster edits.
I respect both you and Sage's opinions but can't disagree more with you on 2k9...

I have yet to play the demo but like Dave said i rather play the full game. What i played at the event was impressive if not flawed. The things they said they fixed i truly hope are in the game because it was what we saw that needed to be done for you guys to like it more....

one thing i'll say is that the low framerate stutter I saw in the crowd during the event is GONE in that preview demo vid Bshadows!

# 122 ehh @ 11/07/08 08:53 AM
I just played one half with the classic teams on default varsity.

First impression is that this game is a huge improvement over MM08. Anyone who spent a lot of time with MM08 will see that. The graphics, lighting, arenas, courts, etc are all improved. The gameplay and controls are also improved greatly. The animations are improved but are not going to be the strength of this game.

The only glitch I saw was when I drove baseline and went up for a dunk and it was blocked out of bounds but somehow it was MSU's ball.

I can't get into things to in depth because I've got to run out to see a client, but I'm very, very pleased with this demo. I assume the final build will essentially be the same and if that's the case I will be happy.

# 123 Vince @ 11/07/08 08:54 AM
CPU fast breaks very well.

# 124 tulsa1 @ 11/07/08 09:18 AM
Its great to see old school teams really look like old school teams and I love the fact that we will be able to use them online. 2K missed the boat on this.

# 125 Koolie G @ 11/07/08 10:00 AM
To get this out of the way I've not played EA basketball for a while. I used to love it, then I went over to 2k and haven't returned.

That being said I DL'd the demo and played three or four games last night. I do not like the two button shooting system, but I can probably get used to it. I still think the 2k right stick system, especially for layups and dunks, is the way to go. I couldn't figure out the low post moves and was too lazy to go back and read the button mapping page. The outside jump shots seemed "off". I don't know what it was nor really how to explain it. I just didn't ever get a good feel whether the shot was going in or not. It seemed like a random result, even for good 3 point shooters. I like the tempo meter, except while playing as KY and getting a fast break opportunity it seems as though I was penalized for the fastbreak. That shouldn't be. If I'm pressing and trapping and trying to get quick scores in the last 2 minutes because I'm behind, is that gonna penalize a half court team like KY? Hope not.

The coaches suggestions are well implemented. I'm not a big fan of the free throw system, but I'm not sure what system is better. I didn't really run any offensive plays b/c once again I am too unfamiliar with the controls. The Demo is not fantastic, but it is a solid effort. There is enough there to really make me consider purchasing this. I love CH2k8, but I may purchase this one and give it shot. I will wait for some impressions from the guys here before I make my decision, but at least I am talking about an EA basketball game. After re-reading this post it seems negative and that's not really my impression. I like the game, it may just take some getting used to. Hopefully the full game will have enough depth in the dynasty mode to pull me in.

# 126 richie923 @ 11/07/08 10:40 AM
I like this demo, but I still dont know whether or not I want Live or NCAA for Christmas. Still can't decide. I guess a lot will depend on if I get rosters for this game.

One thing I noticed is I think they have the 5 seconds rule wrong, or the called me for 5 secs when it wasn't at least...I was holding the ball for while and there was a guy on me. Then my controller vibrated and I realized the 5 second rule so then I decided to dribble. So I took a couple dribbles but didn't create separation and was called for 5 secs. I don't think that's the right call. Technically you can hold the ball for 4 secs, dribble the ball for 4 secs, and hold the ball again for 4 secs, without creating separation or getting called for the 5 sec call. Nit picky, yes, but whatever.

# 127 Sausage @ 11/07/08 11:04 AM
Quote:
I played about 4 games early this morning and it is the NBA Live 09 engine!

Some people are just being critical. It does play better than Live 09 and much faster and smoother. As far as the out of bounds passing. Out of all 4 games, I didn't do that 1 time. I have a HD Video I'm uploading and will post later today.

Many people went into this looking for a negative, but when you watch this video I created you'll see for yourself.

The game is a lot better than I expected!
I have not played Live, but I can say that NCAA BBAll 09 is a nice playing game. After several games I have not had the out of bounds pass, but since its there its bound to happen.

Controls felt fine to me, I learned quick you have to be in the correct position for crisp passes, and the different freestyle dribble moves.

Shooting seemed fine to me, I saw less off balance shots, and good form on most shots.

The demo is very deep with 4 teams, different camera angles, difficulty levels, and I enjoy the campus warm-up.

I am excited to play this game more after the demo. We may a good game in our hands folks, lets keep an open mind about who the publisher is.

# 128 maskedmarvel @ 11/07/08 11:12 AM
Very disappointed. It's probably the animations, and the way they work with the game controls, but I find the demo to be alternately clunky and spastic. Nothing on the screen looks or feels like actual basketball, and the timing of everything is just odd and idiosyncratic -- just like the same video game basketball I've been playing since double dribble.

Also pretty unimpressed by the off-ball movement and general AI, the players don't seem to do basic basketball cuts and practice elementary floor spacing depending on your passing, which is something all basketball games need. I'm sure playcalling helps with this, but still -- it just reminds you of how game-y everything feels.

Like all hoops games, the collision system is kinda lacking. I think that's because basketball is a game of constant bumping and sliding and contact with motion, and that's hard to translate into mo-capped animations.

Player face modeling and skin textures/lighting are very, very well done. Some of the best I've seen in a sports game. Body proportions are a little off, and the animations -- well, I think others have said enough on that. Even the nice, fluid animations feel out of place.

On the whole, the graphics seem a little dark, the way night games in movies are always much too dark.

The short shorts on the classic teams is also a nice touch, though it would have been nicer had they fixed the overly large jersey graphics to go with it.

Overall, I guess I'm hoping for a game that captures the good parts of CH 2k8 but has a more organic, looser, better animated floor game, complete with better off-ball movement. NCAA 09 is not that game.

# 129 Vince @ 11/07/08 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmarvel

Also pretty unimpressed by the off-ball movement and general AI, the players don't seem to do basic basketball cuts and practice elementary floor spacing depending on your passing, which is something all basketball games need. I'm sure playcalling helps with this, but still -- it just reminds you of how game-y everything feels.
Wow, I disagree with this ten-fold!

You don't need to call plays for guys to set picks. When you are pressed or trap, players come to you to help you out so you can dish out the rock. I find the off-ball movement is very good. Better than Live 09.

# 130 ehh @ 11/07/08 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Wow, I disagree with this ten-fold!

You don't need to call plays for guys to set picks. When you are pressed or trap, players come to you to help you out so you can dish out the rock. I find the off-ball movement is very good. Better than Live 09.
c/s, that is one of the highlights of this game. I love it.

# 131 htfdthewhale @ 11/07/08 11:24 AM
Things I liked:
-Coach comments on game pace etc
-Floor spacing was really nice

Things I did not like:
-Shorts look ridiculous. Yes, the shorts in todays game are big, but the plaryer models are so skinny and the shorts circumference are just way too big. They also look incredibly rigid. Combine the actual circumference of the shorts (in comparison to the chicken legs everyone has) with the rigid look, and it just looks ridiculous. This is pretty nitpicky and I can definitely get over this.
-Player models
-Contested shots going in EVERY G-D-effing time
-Nessler's "Up aaaaaan IN!" 12 times in 8 minutes.

# 132 KG @ 11/07/08 11:42 AM
Quote:
Go away!

Everything you posted is bull....

Players models and detail are great and graphics are way better than College Hoops. The gameplay is smooth and fast paste no where near sluggish!
The player faces are incredible. The models are waaaay too thin. It looks like they are swimming in their jerseys.

Courts look amazing though.

# 133 IHateDuke32 @ 11/07/08 11:44 AM
Got a chance to play the demo more, and the more I play it the more impressed I am. The atmosphere is truly great in this game, although the commentary gets repetitive and pretty annoying. And as somebody mentioned before, its pretty weird how players are shown shooting with both hands. I just played a game using UNC at Michigan State, and in the preview before the game they showed Jimmy Black shooting left handed, when he is right handed (he shoots right handed in the actual gameplay). A pretty small glitch, but one that shouldn't be in the game none-the-less.

I would recommend, if possible, that EA either gets rid of the commentary period and starts from scratch or gets Nessler and Vitale back in the studio and comes up with a lot more material.

Other than those two gripes, I am loving this game

# 134 Pared @ 11/07/08 11:46 AM
Quote:
... and I never trade games...
lol You never do a lot of things.

Hopefully the player models get a complete revamp next year. They look completely out of place in the game. The game would look more authentic with different player models.

Seems a bit better than Live... I can't really make a good assessment from the demo. I would need to play the full game. The demo just felt a little bare to me and I don't think it's an accurate depiction of the game.

Oh yes... the commentary is much better in Live.

# 135 Tomba @ 11/07/08 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
lol You never do a lot of things.

Hopefully the player models get a complete revamp next year. They look completely out of place in the game. The game would look more authentic with different player models.

Seems a bit better than Live... I can't really make a good assessment from the demo. I would need to play the full game. The demo just felt a little bare to me and I don't think it's an accurate depiction of the game.

Oh yes... the commentary is much better in Live.
Yeah that is my biggest gripe. i know it's all about 'gameplay and all that but i can't help saying that the player art is completely out of place top the more realistic courts etc

# 136 ehh @ 11/07/08 12:34 PM
The more I play the demo, the more impressed I am. I can actually have a real inside-out game for once, I can penetrate and pitch for wide open three's, I can crisply run plays for good looks. The animations and player models aren't the greatest but I'm sucha gameplay nut I can look past that in a heartbeat. This game obviously won't be for everyone but I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy the hell out of it for the next five months, baring some huge glitch in the retail version.

# 137 fishepa @ 11/07/08 01:00 PM
This game is fun as hell, looking forward to it.

# 138 spit_bubble @ 11/07/08 01:07 PM
Man, reading some of the impressions here makes me wonder if I even played the same demo.

The game's animations are severely lacking. It looks to be about 30-40% complete, resulting in some very awkward looking plays just about every time down the court. No game it seems will ever look totally complete, because the sheer number of animations required... But man, that was just about the worst I've seen in a sports game in recent memory.

If you combine that with the freakish looking player models... Yikes!

The PS3 and 360 should not have to be subjected to this.

Seems like most people interested in this game are just more interested in getting a new game.

And the fatty consumer rides on, much to the chagrin of the horse he rides.

# 139 Scoop 24 @ 11/07/08 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
This game is fun as hell, looking forward to it.
lol i agree

# 140 Hey_Rebby @ 11/07/08 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa1
Its great to see old school teams really look like old school teams and I love the fact that we will be able to use them online. 2K missed the boat on this.
I still agree with this statement. It would have been nice to see some 70s 'fros on the '79 MSU team. I am hoping the classic rosters are better on the retail version. Did they bother to even look at '79 roster for MSU? No Gregory Kelsor? Looks like they said let's just make Magic Johnson and who cares about the rest of the team.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.