quickly, and from far out. You will now have to be more conservative
when shooting on the rush. If you aim all the way to the left or right,
your shot will go wide a lot more. Try aiming more towards the middle to
hit the net from outside. This fixes the cross goal where you shoot back
the other way, and the goal that goes in with the "curve" animation, and
a few others. There's a reason NHL players don't shoot from outside on
the rush very often. Dumping or trying to set up is a better play unless
you have an odd-man situation.

We reduced the time it took to get control of the goalie by 1/3.

When line changes are set to auto, and a user changes
lines/defense manually between whistles, the line/defensive pair you
asked for will come out (or stay out).

If you have line changes off in Be a Pro, line change player
chatter will be turned off.

When using a defenseman in BAP, BAP player won't get stuck on
the bench and will be able to call for change

The EASHL will now go to continuous 5v5 overtime until one team
scores. This way nobody has to sit out, and you get to decide who wins
(this is now just like the NHL Play-offs)

The proper own-goal cut scene will be shown where the player who
scored on himself is upset.

All cut scenes should now show players sitting in their
respective team's bench.

Increase AI team aggressiveness and the likelihood of them
getting called for a penalty on an infraction.

If Vision Control is pressed, you do not throw a hit when in
front of the attacking net. This helps with rebound shots.
Increase the likelihood of a penalty if the stick hits the body
during a stick lift.

Reduce the accuracy of shots for penalty shots and shootouts.
Aiming for just inside the post is a lot tougher now.
Just got prompted for an update. Have been trying things out, the most telling thing to me that I immediately tried out was the dump height, which after my d/l is different than before. Also, puck physics seem quite a bit different in a good way.

EDIT: It's the patch alright. Checked out the always up controls, dekeing is fixed. Unfortunately shot aim is still not correct.

EDIT: I don't know what some people were talking about in regards to shot accuracy being a problem. As long as you're shooting from a good platform the accuracy is just as good as before, some shots even seem to be better quality. You just can't be an idiot and shoot while skating full speed on the rush and expect to hot the net. Also whoever said this game was much better on SS post-patch was absolutely right. It's not even close, SS is fantastic after the patch. Haven't had any stupid goals or seen the cpu one-timer crazy. Can't wait to see what QB and some of the others have to say about this.

Edited by Millennium for front page posting. Good Job, Bad!

Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 [Icy] @ 11/13/08 09:42 AM
I'm playing BAP most of the time and the main issues post patch are:

- Team mates are so stupid and insist on passing always back to me, like if i was the only allowed to shoot to goal. It's more frustrating when you are playing as playmaker or defender as you are not supposed to shoot a lot, but your team mates still pass it to you most of the time and do not shot.

- While the CPU team penalties are great now, my own team CPU players rarely commit one, so i end having 4 or 5 powerplays per game vs 1 or 2 allowed, and those penalties by my team are usually commited by me.

- The CPU on PK dumps it always out of the rink, so every powerplay becomes 5 vs 3.

With those 3 things fixed, BAP mode could be the most fun game i have played for a looong time. I'm still enjoying it a lot, but it could be better, specially with beter team mates AI.

# 82 MizzouRah @ 11/13/08 10:40 AM
I agree with what most are saying post patch.. I'm not taking many penalties, but the CPU is taking many and then I get a 5 on 3 as they flip dump it into the seats. In fact, the soft flip dump is wayyyyy over used now.

CPU goalies still seem to play head and shoulders above my goalie all the time. I'll play some more, but it's meh after some games post patch.

# 83 DrUrsus @ 11/13/08 02:17 PM
I haven't bought a hockey game yet this year. So after this patch, do you guys recommend NHL 09 or NHL 2K9?

# 84 Steven547 @ 11/13/08 04:46 PM
I used to be a huge fan of the 2k series, but after that poor showing, and EA's "revival", I would stick with NHL 09.

# 85 Brian Gee @ 11/13/08 05:45 PM
THIS is the game to get. Postpatch you are going to be in for something special. The CPU only scores goals that YOU allow and not the cheesy autogoals that they seemed to pull out of their "special" places before the patch. If I lose, I lose because I missed chances or blew defensively. If I win, it's because I'm passing and scoring and, of course, keeping the CPU from open shots.

People love to bitch about how this isn't "real" hockey, but as far as videogames go, it's real....really fun.

# 86 BIG CAROLINA @ 11/13/08 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrUrsus
I haven't bought a hockey game yet this year. So after this patch, do you guys recommend NHL 09 or NHL 2K9?
From a person who has both I would have to say NHL 09 post patch.I like the goalies and puck physics better in 2K9, but that is about is about it for me.
I am not sure what you are looking for in a hockey game but my best advice would be to rent them both and see which one you like better. You are going to get votes both ways and it can get a little crazy so just go out and rent both.

# 87 bad_philanthropy @ 11/13/08 08:18 PM
Finally getting the cpu to score a few more goals with the accuracy up at four. It seems like a delicate balance, because at five you'll never miss the net with your own shots.

It really does seem that if the cpu can muster two goals then they become a lot more dangerous offensively.

# 88 bjackets @ 11/13/08 09:31 PM
I realize a lot of people love this game and I'm not trying to rain on any parades....this is just my opinion.

Not digging this game....just not hockey. I've played it a lot post and pre patch and there is one GLARING issue I don't see anyone talkng about and it surprises me...........there are almost ZERO odd man rushes by both the AI and the human player. These plays are non existant in this game because the defense can skate backwards too quickly and force you outside entirely too easily.

This is a HUGE part of hockey and EA has decided to leave it out entirely.

Instead on offense everything is set up and executed as if you are on the PP.... this includes even strength 5 on 5 play.

It's the same thing over and over again.

-Gain puck possesion
-advance to offensive zone
-cycle for open shot

This makes for very monotenous gameplay and makes all teams play the same. Speed doesn't matter because you can not get out on odd man rushes.

ohiost

# 89 bjackets @ 11/13/08 10:32 PM
tgalv,

I go to a lot of live Pro Hockey games and there are numerous odd man rush chances each game for each team.

This just isn't reflected in EA's game and it's a HUGE oversight.

These are a very big part of every teams stratedgy.... because they create your best scoring chances and goals result from them.

EA really needs to to a much better job in this area.

ohiost

# 90 Steven547 @ 11/13/08 10:47 PM
The more I play this "post patch", I see other issues that are bothersome. My team does not get penalties called against them. If someone has way around this, please let me know. I"ll have 5 powerplays and no penalty kills. I play on all star and have penalties maxed.
Also, the CPU team committed a delay of game penalty 5, yes 5, times in a row. After each face off, they dumped it over the glass. This definitely needs addressed. I'm hoping EA releases a 2nd patch to tidy up the issues caused by the first patch. It is a better game, but these issues are bothersome.

# 91 Peji911 @ 11/13/08 11:32 PM
I dont have access to the net on my 360. Would I be able to get this patch through the computer and install it on the 360?

# 92 tabulaRasa @ 11/14/08 01:35 AM
So true, they tried to fix the cheese, instead we have a game where the cheese is concentrated around the net (wrappers, spins and 5-hole etc)and the diversity is limited, everyone can see that quite fast online. And the aiming causes everyone to attack much closer to the crease, which makes 90% of all goals being weird close crease goals. Add to that that everyone can deke thru traffic most of the time and that one-timers are super easy again (ala 08), there you go a run and gun gameplay without need to set up plays or play sound positioning. Post patch is so dissapointing. I had a good game but now it just sucks, it feels like NHL08 with a small update.

Itīs also insanely easy to deke like crazy thru traffic again, thanks alot EA , I didnīt pay for NHL08 1.01, the worst thing about 08 they fixed in NHL09, much better D, but now itīs rediculous.

Also the 08 defense is back with focus on hits. Since making stickwork less effective we now have crazy hitting on D as focus, not only does it look crap, itīs also friggin lame.

I say revert this patch, I can take any isssue I had with the old over this NHL08 look-a-like patch.

Oh, and for the record, I still havenīt lost, but damn, this game is so much less fun now. Talk about taking two steps back.

# 93 tabulaRasa @ 11/14/08 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Its never going to be 100% perfect hockey. Overall though it IS the most realistic game of the two without a doubt. Some of you guys looking for perfection, I'm sorry its just not going to happen.
The thing is that the game was way more realistic before this patch. One-timers and concentration around the crease is not realistic.

It actually feels like they tried to make NHL08 again with this patch. Itīs mind boggling and a craptacular move.

And whatīs up with the checking again? Post patch is crap VS online.

# 94 Battman @ 11/14/08 07:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabulaRasa
So true, they tried to fix the cheese, instead we have a game where the cheese is concentrated around the net (wrappers, spins and 5-hole etc)and the diversity is limited, everyone can see that quite fast online. And the aiming causes everyone to attack much closer to the crease, which makes 90% of all goals being weird close crease goals. Add to that that everyone can deke thru traffic most of the time and that one-timers are super easy again (ala 08), there you go a run and gun gameplay without need to set up plays or play sound positioning. Post patch is so dissapointing. I had a good game but now it just sucks, it feels like NHL08 with a small update.

Itīs also insanely easy to deke like crazy thru traffic again, thanks alot EA , I didnīt pay for NHL08 1.01, the worst thing about 08 they fixed in NHL09, much better D, but now itīs rediculous.

Also the 08 defense is back with focus on hits. Since making stickwork less effective we now have crazy hitting on D as focus, not only does it look crap, itīs also friggin lame.

I say revert this patch, I can take any isssue I had with the old over this NHL08 look-a-like patch.

Oh, and for the record, I still havenīt lost, but damn, this game is so much less fun now. Talk about taking two steps back.
I second that.

Before the patch I played good online games. Ok, it seems I was lucky, that I never played against a cheeser.
But after installing the patch I had three awful matches.
It is so easy to breakthru an score on a One-on-One. Without much deke-ing. Just kate close to the goalie an move left. Bang! Goal! More than 50% of the goals were scored this way. Also, the goalie is stupid beyond imagination. I play Buffalo. And Ryan Miller is definitely one of the better goalies in the NHL. But you just have to pass two or three times across the field and he will fall down for an easy goal. If these passes were in the crease I would somewaht understand this goalie behavior, but not if the passes are somewhere in the middle of the offensive zone. It is just plain stupid.

An last but not least:

I normally play with a friend a 2player-game against the CPU or online.
After the patch the passing is crap. The passes reach wrong players (not the ones you aimed to), IF they even reach one of your players. There are far too many interceptions.
The One-Timers hardly work. If I pass to my buddy an d he tries to shoot, the chance of hitting the air is higher than hitting the puck.

As I play PS3 an XBOX 360, I can say that the cheesing problems seem to be dominantly PS3-related, the 2 player-problem on the other hand is predominantly a XBOX360 issue. But also the PS3-version has some issues with that.

I am very very disappointed an praying for a patch of the patch.

# 95 tabulaRasa @ 11/14/08 08:53 AM
Thatīs exactly the problem, skating thru traffic is easy (and stickwork on D is lame now), and all "easy" scoring is based in the close crease area. We can all debate that "you can still scored varied bla bla" , sure, you can , but no way in hell as good and dynamic as before.

We also know that people online will go for better percentange shots, and along with the new awful aiming (come on, itīs way to extreme, I would go for half the change), you can bet your *** we will see overcrowded creases with unrealistic , traffic defying dekes being the new way to play online. Which by all means sucks like crazy.

Add to that the the goalies fumbles on so many shots close crease now that it hurts to see.

Another awful thing is that the new way to play D is so based around the check, the annoying bump. All this add to make a run and gun up and down (NHL08) gameplay.

I usually only play NHL games, but I bought Gears 2 now to have some fun, because NHL09 just became NHL08(way worse than original NHL09) post patch.

Hereīs hoping for a new patch to fix the old patch.

All this is being said , these are issues VS games online. The Human mind will always find the exploits and cut corners better than AI, which also means thatīs in the VS games online you will find the ultimate flaws, not in the offline games vs the cpu.

# 96 Steven547 @ 11/14/08 10:26 AM
Anyone getting any penalties called against you in this game? I see about 3 - 4 against the CPU and if i'm lucky, i'll get one called against me. Not that I want penalties, but it's not realistic if my guys are "gentleman" on the ice all the time.

This patch gave us penalties against the CPU, but took them away from the HUM controlled team. The problem pre patch, was that the CPU wouldn't get penalties, but I would get a ton. Now it's reversed.

# 97 Franchizz @ 11/14/08 12:02 PM
Well this is probably my third or fourth try at Superstar post patch and I cannot score for the life of me. Everything from the wrap around, to my quick timed wrist shot to anything the goalie makes a perfect save or the shot goes wide. Granted I could need some practice and I shall try to drop play to All-Star and see if I do not absolutely blow out opposing teams.

As for penalties, I find them rather sporadic. Some games I will see five, others barely one.

Perhaps I should use some sliders adjustments, if anyone has some suggestions post patch that would be helpful as I am currently on default.

Edit: So much for All-Star, I absolutely tore apart Pittsburgh, outshoting them and shuting them out. I was on the attack double the amount of time they were and my only real fault was a surprisingly onesided amount of hits (71 to 20) Not sure if this patch is actually all that grand.

# 98 original6 @ 11/14/08 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackets
I realize a lot of people love this game and I'm not trying to rain on any parades....this is just my opinion.

Not digging this game....just not hockey. I've played it a lot post and pre patch and there is one GLARING issue I don't see anyone talkng about and it surprises me...........there are almost ZERO odd man rushes by both the AI and the human player. These plays are non existant in this game because the defense can skate backwards too quickly and force you outside entirely too easily.

This is a HUGE part of hockey and EA has decided to leave it out entirely.

Instead on offense everything is set up and executed as if you are on the PP.... this includes even strength 5 on 5 play.

It's the same thing over and over again.

-Gain puck possesion
-advance to offensive zone
-cycle for open shot

This makes for very monotenous gameplay and makes all teams play the same. Speed doesn't matter because you can not get out on odd man rushes.

ohiost
Excellent observation. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen any either offline. Kinda makes the advantage of speedy players who feast on breakaway chances, like Gaborik, null and void. Couple this with the fact that even less-talented players can deke as well as the skilled ones, and you really don't see the player separation you should.

# 99 catcatch22 @ 11/14/08 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by original6
Excellent observation. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen any either offline. Kinda makes the advantage of speedy players who feast on breakaway chances, like Gaborik, null and void. Couple this with the fact that even less-talented players can deke as well as the skilled ones, and you really don't see the player separation you should.
That is not true I have had several breakaways online and against the AI post patch.

In the real NHL you get breakaways with good defense in the neutral zone forcing turnovers on their defenseman. Unlike NHL 08 where you got odd man rushes every time you went up the ice from your own zone.

There are problems with the patch, this in my opinion is not one of them.

# 100 nyr30 @ 11/14/08 06:28 PM
I just uploaded a video to EA SPORTS World just because i was disgusted with what just happened to me in a game against the Devils.

This is in OT and i was under pressure so i pass round the back of my net to my other Dman and planned to play a pass up the right hand side to break out the zone but the AI had different ideas.

I couldnt move and the Cpu came in and took the puck passed out front and scored. It was a fresh line on the ice yet my player couldnt move because it seems he was exhausted. i swear its seems this game just has the game won before you play.

It was an easy play that had been executed numerous times before this occurence. it aint a big deal but this is the sort of **** that holds this game back. look at how long i have the puck, its like 3secs and i couldnt move the delay was long enough to let the Cpu get to me.

http://www.easportsworld.com/en_US/video/2260897

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.