Home
News Post

Pasta Padre has posted an article that talks about NBA 2K9's Team-Up mode, not fixed by the patch.

Quote:
"One of the supposed fixes in the patch for NBA 2K9 was to make the 5 on 5 Team-Up mode playable. The mode has never worked properly having been inflicted with crippling lag (the worst I’ve ever experienced), disconnects, and frustration. I was concerned with the wording in the patch details and wanted to see how much it improved the performance. Two months after release would Team-Up mode actually function properly and deliver what was advertised?

The short answer to that is no. I spent a considerable amount of time trying to play it with very little success. The only games I was able to load into and play involved only a couple other users. There was no success with 7 or more users involved. Here are a couple of the instances I experienced and a few thoughts on it."

Game: NBA 2K9Reader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 72 - View All
NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Stumbleweed @ 12/06/08 04:07 PM

# 62 Pared @ 12/06/08 04:34 PM
LOL Did Carter hit the game winner but time expired?

That blows.

# 63 thunder008 @ 12/06/08 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
The need to make ridiculous over the top statements because a person can't convey a view properly runs rampant here. "The [mode] doesn't work as well as I'd expect it to" doesn't have quite the bite that "they spit in the face of their loyal fan base this year with the 5-on-5" has.

Someone would really have to explain to me why this mode garners such emotion, because I'm not a big online player. You'd think people were discussing online itself, but it's an individual mode that's being discussed. And it's a secondary online mode at that; I could see if this was head to head play. But there's no mention of the depth of the online leagues, of h2h play, of the other online gameplay modes which apparently run w/o major issues. But since this one isn't flawless, it's issues get overstated/blown out of proportion by some. Perhaps in the future this mode will live up to it's potential. But I doubt it, because I think the overall immaturity of the relatively small user base will always limit it (larger online fanbases like Halo or COD have the same issues but have a much larger pool online players imo). For now I just don't understand why this mode garners such venom from some. Then again it usually is the same guys complaining
cuz it's the most fun you can have with 2 thumbs and a tv!

# 64 bears5122 @ 12/07/08 01:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
People have been playing 5 on 5 basketball games with no lag for a decade?

And here I was thinking NBA Live was the first to include it last year and it was a bit revolutionary. Silly me.
You know what I meant. There have been 8 on 8 or 10 on 10 games for almost a decade. EVERY game has figured out how to deal with slow connections. NBA Live has even figured it out in both NBA Live and FIFA.

I don't get why you are trying to make excuses. Why not just call them out for their incompetence in this area and hope they fix it for next year? Makes no sense why people are so loyal to a game that they won't point out a flaw in it.

# 65 bears5122 @ 12/07/08 01:48 AM
Quote:
The need to make ridiculous over the top statements because a person can't convey a view properly runs rampant here. "The [mode] doesn't work as well as I'd expect it to" doesn't have quite the bite that "they spit in the face of their loyal fan base this year with the 5-on-5" has.

Someone would really have to explain to me why this mode garners such emotion, because I'm not a big online player. You'd think people were discussing online itself, but it's an individual mode that's being discussed. And it's a secondary online mode at that; I could see if this was head to head play. But there's no mention of the depth of the online leagues, of h2h play, of the other online gameplay modes which apparently run w/o major issues. But since this one isn't flawless, it's issues get overstated/blown out of proportion by some. Perhaps in the future this mode will live up to it's potential. But I doubt it, because I think the overall immaturity of the relatively small user base will always limit it (larger online fanbases like Halo or COD have the same issues but have a much larger pool online players imo). For now I just don't understand why this mode garners such venom from some. Then again it usually is the same guys complaining
It's a really fun mode, arguably the best one online at the moment. I understand people may not like it, but a lot do.

I think the venom comes because of the way they promoted it. It was hailed as a new feature. They clearly aren't competent to manage this feature. That's fine. Just come out and say we can't handle 5 on 5. Instead they gave everyone a runaround, lied about patches that would fix it, or how in a few days the servers would be fixed. It's also becoming a tradition with 2K to have huge online problems that never get fixed (MLB 2K).

So it's not so much about the feature, it's about how they treated a loyal fanbase. Everyone here knows 2K doesn't have the marketing budget of EA yet has been succesful in many of their games. This is in part to a loyal fanbase that has helped build a great word-of-mouth campaign for their games. They have blatantly lied to that base. That is why I'm angry. If they can't handle basic online functions, fine, just say it. But don't lie about it being fixed for months when they clearly aren't doing it.

# 66 spankdatazz22 @ 12/07/08 02:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bears5122
I think the venom comes because of the way they promoted it. It was hailed as a new feature. They clearly aren't competent to manage this feature. That's fine. Just come out and say we can't handle 5 on 5. Instead they gave everyone a runaround, lied about patches that would fix it, or how in a few days the servers would be fixed. It's also becoming a tradition with 2K to have huge online problems that never get fixed (MLB 2K).
lol - the venom comes because of the way they promoted it...? As a new feature...?

From what I remember they didn't go out of their way to say it's going to perform better than any game before it, blah blah blah, or that it was going to revolutionize online basketball, etc. And again, the problem with your argument is you seemingly have to talk in extremes. It's not that "it doesn't work", or that "it's broken", because there are many in the thread saying they've had few problems playing in the mode. I'm sure there's some issues, but I don't get your need to go all soap-opera daytime emmy with the drama over something that's not even a major issue. They're liars? Because not fixing a problem to your satisfaction - which apparently seems to be flawless performance, because there are many that are saying they aren't having major issues using the mode.

Quote:
If they can't handle basic online functions, fine, just say it. But don't lie about it being fixed for months when they clearly aren't doing it.
In your quickness in trying to be sensationalistic you totally disregard what they've done from an online leagues standpoint when you're making ridiculous comments like "being unable to handle basic online functions". Or that there appear to be no issues with basic head to head play. Or issues with other online modes.

Nevermind. This is a beyond silly argument you're trying to make.

# 67 bears5122 @ 12/07/08 03:01 AM
Quote:
In your quickness in trying to be sensationalistic you totally disregard what they've done from an online leagues standpoint when you're making ridiculous comments like "being unable to handle basic online functions". Or that there appear to be no issues with basic head to head play. Or issues with other online modes.

Nevermind. This is a beyond silly argument you're trying to make.
I consider multi-player a basic online function. I guess I see any feature that was in games almost 10 years ago as basic.

And you're correct, arguing this is silly. Especially when one side needs to convince themselves that the game has no flaws to justify their purchase.

# 68 spankdatazz22 @ 12/07/08 08:46 AM
Quote:
I consider multi-player a basic online function. I guess I see any feature that was in games almost 10 years ago as basic.

And you're correct, arguing this is silly. Especially when one side needs to convince themselves that the game has no flaws to justify their purchase.
I said I wasn't going to reply back but have to say this: when did I say the game had no flaws? As stated earlier, you seem completely unable to make an argument for yourself unless you're painting everything in absolutes. Wasn't 5v5 basketball just introduced by Live last year? Here, I'll save you the trouble because I'm sure you'll fire back with some crazy comment like "Superstar Basketball '98 for the Commodore 64 did multiplayer" or some other over the top comment

# 69 ProtoPunch @ 12/07/08 10:35 AM
God that's beautiful. That's the smoothest online bball game I've ever seen

# 70 Pared @ 12/07/08 03:44 PM
Quote:
You know what I meant. There have been 8 on 8 or 10 on 10 games for almost a decade. EVERY game has figured out how to deal with slow connections. NBA Live has even figured it out in both NBA Live and FIFA.

I don't get why you are trying to make excuses. Why not just call them out for their incompetence in this area and hope they fix it for next year? Makes no sense why people are so loyal to a game that they won't point out a flaw in it.
You obviously haven't bothered to follow the thread.

# 71 Murkurial @ 12/07/08 07:39 PM
Have 2k said anything about people who can't even get into a game to begin with? Sorry if anyone feels this is cluttering up this thread but I couldn't find one specific to this problem but I know I'm not the only on that gets some "could not join lobby at this time" message when I try to create a match, join a custom match, or even join a quick match. I tried to set up a game to play with one of my friends and he was trying as well just to check if he could make a game and both us continued to get this message.

I'm sure it's happenin' to other people I just wanna know if 2k said anything about fixing it.

# 72 jerseyballer7 @ 12/07/08 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkurial
Have 2k said anything about people who can't even get into a game to begin with? Sorry if anyone feels this is cluttering up this thread but I couldn't find one specific to this problem but I know I'm not the only on that gets some "could not join lobby at this time" message when I try to create a match, join a custom match, or even join a quick match. I tried to set up a game to play with one of my friends and he was trying as well just to check if he could make a game and both us continued to get this message.

I'm sure it's happenin' to other people I just wanna know if 2k said anything about fixing it.
I along with MANY MANY others are having the same issue. 2K has not responded to it and knowing how they act we probably won't hear anything from them for another month or two. Gonna have to just face the fact that this mode won't work to it's potential.

# 73 bears5122 @ 12/07/08 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murkurial

No, it's the same crap they pulled with MLB 2K. They make vague comments about fixing it but never do. I said the first week that this wouldn't be fixed. They are building a tradition.

# 74 knickstorm @ 12/08/08 04:11 AM
are people with wired connections lagging less than less on wireless?

# 75 Stumbleweed @ 12/08/08 01:06 PM
I'm wired and haven't ahve any significant lag since the patch. I do get the "lobby cound not be joined" or "lobby could not be created" every now and then when I'm trying to play Player Matches, but that's about it. I ran another 4 or 5 games yesterday with everything from 4 players to 10 and they all were buttery-smooth and fun.

# 76 jerseyballer7 @ 12/08/08 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbleweed
I'm wired and haven't ahve any significant lag since the patch. I do get the "lobby cound not be joined" or "lobby could not be created" every now and then when I'm trying to play Player Matches, but that's about it. I ran another 4 or 5 games yesterday with everything from 4 players to 10 and they all were buttery-smooth and fun.

I did everything on my end to make sure I wasn't having any network issues that would cause me to have trouble but all my other games I play online GOW2, SFII HD Remix, GTA IV, etc....all play with no lag.

My connections are smooth and solid for hrs. Yet this is the only game that not only lags the hell out of me for online play but even disconnects me from xbox live.

I guess you're the lucky one cause for me and the others the online issues for team up and player match is no good.

# 77 TMagic @ 12/09/08 12:18 AM
So, I tried it again tonight. And again the game plays much better, without lag no matter the number of users...

...But, this time around it was a pain to get a game started. Took anywhere from 10-15 minutes to get a game going with more players.

I would constantly be taken to a lobby alone. There was a couple times that the game wouldn't even start when the timer stopped at 2 seconds. Lots of the games I could join were with only 2,3, or four players joined.

But with the few games I played, I didn't have any lag or slow down.

Aside from that, the only problem I have with the 5 on 5 is how almost every shot goes in. I don't think I saw any shot around the basket miss. It doesn't matter who's taking the shot. Around the rim it's almost guaranteed to go in.

This results in everybody's strategy to be pass it to the inside man and the inside man shooting under the rim or dunking everytime. That's it.

Lame.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.