Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Pasta Padre has posted the features list for Major League Baskeball 2K9.

Quote:
"As expected it appears that they’ve attempted to simplify several aspects of the game. The trading card system looks to have been improved and more has been done to add to the authenticity of the experience. Providing the basics such as a smooth framerate and solid online performance are a necessity for this year, but other than those things is there enough here to deliver the game consumers have been hoping for?"

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 King Gro23 @ 01/11/09 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Actually, this has been in the game since 2K6. And no, it's not a breaker at all, and instead is actually realistic.

Watch Jake Peavy on the mound. Watch that guy just absolutely take command of all of his hitters just by staying on the outer half of the plate. His 2-seamer always drops right back over the black, and he'll mix it up with a slider for people to fish for it when they expect that 2-seamer again. Simply fantastic command. This is replicated in the game.

Now, take Sidney Ponson or Barry Zito. These guys may have a target to locate and they may get it sometimes, but they leave their share of pitches over the plate, hanging, begging to be hit out.

The other thing that's great is that, whether it's a good or bad pitcher, missing off the plate means it's a ball, which means the potential for walks. This will also do be realistic if there are variable umpire strike zones, etc.

Anyway, I as I said, this has been around since 2K6. The 2K team is working with Inside Edge™ in using their advanced scouting reports. These things show what percentage of the time pitchers throw which pitches, where, and in which counts. It's very in-depth, and in the game we could "purchase" said reports with our incoming payroll as GM and use them in the game, so we still have an advantage in scouting. It was very deep and made 2K6 very fun (on Xbox, not 360).

I prefer it, actually.
It will be breaker if they can't nail the pitcher/batter battle. Resulting in 1 -4 pitch AB's zero pitch counts, and the whole nine yards. Although if i study my weakness for the current batter im using I can just influence and zone hit or swing stick it where the balls pitched. The biggest thing i pray for is Ball/strikes and A better hitting camera

# 102 Blzer @ 01/11/09 10:33 PM
That's why, like I said, it would be great if we could get those variable strike zones. And I actually didn't mean different umpires with different zones. Look at the later ASB games and how the strike zones sort of "fade" as they reach the border. These are spots where it's just going to go one way or the other (with some formula built inside, I'm sure). It will make us hesitant to swing at some of these pitches.

And remember, foul balls are a must. You really need to time it correctly to put a ball in play. Refer to MVP's color window for a better example of that (white is a miss, yellow is foul, light green is contact in play, dark green is good contact in play). This is one reason I hope they can do 60 FPS, because it will mean for more hit variety. Anyway, balls are fouled back (and "tipped" or "tapped" back as well) because of just getting over or under the ball. Again, I hope they can replicate this. They actually weren't too bad in 2K8, but there still weren't foul tips. Even Power Pros had that.

# 103 brendanrfoley @ 01/11/09 11:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I still recommend that people play Interplay Sports Baseball 2000.
Blzer, you are my kind of baseball gamer. Interplay Baseball 2000 (the follow-up to VR Baseball) is one of the most underrated baseball games I've ever played.

# 104 Pared @ 01/12/09 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahnzo
The thing is...the series itself needs to be thrown out the window and rebuilt from the ground up. VC might have taken it over, but I have my doubts about turd polishing.

I agree with you to an extent.

The game engine itself isn't bad... it's biggest faults were the physics, AI and Graphics.

Aside from that, it wasn't a bad game. If they could somehow go back to 2k7 and start from there I don't think people would be complaining as much.

There were just too many elements that did not focus on baseball and focused more on video game baseball. You want the game to feel like a baseball game, not a baseball video game, IMHO.

# 105 Stroehms @ 01/12/09 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared
I agree with you to an extent.

The game engine itself isn't bad... it's biggest faults were the physics, AI and Graphics.

Aside from that, it wasn't a bad game. If they could somehow go back to 2k7 and start from there I don't think people would be complaining as much.

There were just too many elements that did not focus on baseball and focused more on video game baseball. You want the game to feel like a baseball game, not a baseball video game, IMHO.
Truer words have never been spoken (or typed).

If they did what Skate did to make you feel like you were playing the sport, I think this could be great.

# 106 ehh @ 01/12/09 10:40 AM
Nice to see the swing stick is gone, zone hitting should add to more realism hopefully. I still don't see how I'll end up purchasing this game though, as much as I want to like it there is such a slim chance that it will be a quality game.

# 107 Damanjinx @ 01/12/09 01:16 PM
Well some things perked my interest like the batting and fielding but we all knew they needed fixing anyway. But the thing that really got me was the Real-Time Living World, i really want to see what they do with that.

Things im worried about 60fps or steady framerate, animations, and graphics. Nothing said about any of those so i have some concerns.

Another Big problem i have is the Audio and no workd about commentary on who is going to be giving it, im really concerned about that, as well as Crowd chants and reactions that needed a complete rehaul and not a word about it. So as of right now it looks bleak but you never know.

# 108 OliDegu2008 @ 01/12/09 06:57 PM
Though this seems very simplified, I think that it could be a good thing!?

# 109 Rebel10 @ 01/12/09 07:52 PM
Some of this looks pretty good... retooled some of the basics, and no lame back of the box feature that ends up detracting from the key gameplay. We'll see how it turns out... I'm not very excited about it. Little concerned that I see no mention of any changes to the Franchise mode, which could use some work.

The thing that concerns me most, per usual, is the "facepalm" factor with the MLB series. The things that are in the game that make absolutely no sense for being there and were never playtested... case in point: the "rotating backgrounds" of MLB 2K7, that they thankfully removed for 2K8, but it's like "why... would they ever do this during manager mode where you can't read the player names half the time..." And then the bunk manager mode for two consecutive years, it's like, did the developers ever play that mode that they put in and notice it doesn't work?

But anyway... I'm cautiously optimistic about it but probably won't get it. The value of 2K8 dropped about 50% on Amazon last year three weeks after release.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.