Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has just posted their MLB 09 The Show blog, featuring Franchise Mode enhancements.

Quote:
"Hey everyone - MLB FE team here to bring you the first installment of the MLB 09 The Show blogs. For this entry, we’ll be talking about some of the details that have gone into the Franchise mode enhancements.

When we set out this year’s plan, one of our goals was to blow out the personnel aspects of the Franchise experience. Starting with the beginning of spring training, the rosters you will carry into spring will be those of their real-life counterpart, the long awaited 40-man rosters. Now you will have to manage your Spring Training roster a little more carefully to ensure your young players get the looks they need.

Moving on to the regular season, you will now be dealing with many of the various roster-related items all GMs have to deal with. You will be in control of designating players for assignment, waiver transactions, handling Minor League options, and managing your 40-man roster. Once in June, you will have the Amateur Draft to participate in. Along with drafting players, the Amateur Draft also includes Supplemental picks for those teams that failed to re-sign Type A or Type B free agents in the offseason."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 boogiechoogie @ 01/18/09 10:36 PM
so the rumored estimation of about 250 new screen animations spoken of what kind of additions could they possibly have come up with?and also same announcers are back but im wondering if they have added any different speech to any of them.the past 2 seasons have been about the same.any info on that stuff yet?and also will they have added the complete real coaches this year and not just the manager and maybe one base coach.meaning like girardi wasnt even on the yankees among others.since they do have all the coaches but with fake names for most of the pitching coaches and so on

# 102 Bat @ 01/19/09 05:08 AM
I am super stoked for these enhancements! I just worry all the new stuff may leave room for the computer AI to make silly decisions even more. I hope I am wrong

# 103 tabarnes19_SDS @ 01/19/09 11:34 AM
My guess is there will be an inactive list of about 10 spaces. After we draft players will go there and we need to move them to a AA or AAA team after the draft meaning we would have to cut players(utilizing the new waiver feature). I feel if they had expanded the minor leagues they would be talking it up big time.

# 104 Infinite202 @ 01/19/09 01:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat9th
I am super stoked for these enhancements! I just worry all the new stuff may leave room for the computer AI to make silly decisions even more. I hope I am wrong
This is a concern of mine as well.

# 105 slickkill77 @ 01/19/09 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiechoogie
speaking about the minor league players it is true u have to play at least one game in MLB to be legally part of the MLBPA which is why every year thus far u would start to see a few new players on each team in the game little by little.they were qouted saying in another scea forum saying that they have paid close attention to getting every minor league player who has seen action into the game this year.but they are still goin to have fake names as there are too many slots to fill espicially with the new features/drafts.if u have the time to do so go on the site for your favorite team print out there minors rosters with all the bio and edit them to ur remaining "fake" players cuz the announcers do say the last names of the players in the game.(all common names anywayz)

Yes that is the reason

# 106 TheDynasty @ 01/20/09 01:31 PM
That's it. I'm trading in my xbox 360 towards a purchase of a ps3.

# 107 NAFBUC @ 01/20/09 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDynasty
The Show is worth it, baseball heaven.

# 108 x1Blumpkin1x @ 01/20/09 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDynasty
I bought my PS3 last month primarily for the Show. I watch the occasional blu ray but it really is an MLB The Show player. The game is so much fun.

# 109 Jukeman @ 02/02/09 10:32 AM
Im thinking about buying this game and a PS3 and I want to know how is the CPU logic in these games during the franchise mode? Can you controll the CPU team's roster during franchise mode?...All these features are awesome but it wouldnt be fun if the CPU AI is dumbed down....Thanks in advance!

# 110 kaydigi @ 02/02/09 02:24 PM
This is the most important thread I ever read on OS. Man my tax refund can't come quick enough.

# 111 Pared @ 02/02/09 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juk34man
Im thinking about buying this game and a PS3 and I want to know how is the CPU logic in these games during the franchise mode? Can you controll the CPU team's roster during franchise mode?...All these features are awesome but it wouldnt be fun if the CPU AI is dumbed down....Thanks in advance!
Apparently it is very, VERY good this year. There might be some slight gaffes here and there but they have certainly spent a good deal of time on it.

# 112 Avalon1178 @ 02/02/09 07:50 PM
For those who were at the developer site, did anyone brought up the issue about being able to import rosters between games? Obviously we cannot do this for MLB08 --> MLB09, but maybe in the future for MLB09 --> MLB10 so they can start thinking about the design? Franchise mode has made tons of improvements, especially in roster moves for those who are interested in fantasy baseball, that it would be nice if we can "continue" that franchise across games.

# 113 Pared @ 02/02/09 07:53 PM
Just not viable. Way too much work necessary to keep things the same if we want the change necessary to franchise. It's possible but I understand it would be a daunting task.

Think about it yourself: How do you account for accessory changes, players per team, salaries and all the other necessary items used in a roster? Would just be an invitation for bugs/failure.

They can spend time doing that or they can spend time improving the game in other areas... where's the tradeoff you would prefer?

# 114 Avalon1178 @ 02/02/09 08:22 PM
Pared, thanks for your response. I think I mentioned this before but it probably isn't that daunting provided data (different kinds thereof) are kept separate from presentation during design/implementation. By presentation I mean the look and feel between future games. Different datas can be made separate too as accessories items, facials, uniforms, etc are kept separate from the data that keeps, say, a player's stats or player team. I don't know how they wrote the code for this game so I can't make judgments, but as a developer/software coder myself, that approach should make sense to minimize the complications.

I do believe there is demand for this though if they have it. Think about it....say you drafted a player in your MLB 09 franchise that has a 5-star rating, high potential. Wouldn't you want to see if he excels in years to come and perhaps break some of the all-time records in the franchise? Of course, this is possible if I keep the same game and the save franchise save...but if this franchise save can be imported to future MLB games, it would be awesome!

# 115 Pared @ 02/02/09 10:12 PM
I think that's the key thing. If you go in knowing this is something you want to do in the future, your approach may be different than the one they chose. I don't know.. I just know it would take enough time to implement.

# 116 Avalon1178 @ 02/02/09 11:54 PM
I guess that means no one asked about it......oh well.....

# 117 vitian @ 04/16/09 06:10 PM
hi everyone i have a few questions about franchise mode? does anybody knows how to add the upcoming events in this mode I´ve ben trying and I just give up thanks in advance

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.