Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers the new and improved A.I.

Quote:
"Today we’re going to show you some of our new and improved A.I. for MLB 09 The Show. Realism is THE most important thing to use here on the MLB 09 The Show team. Year in and year out, with a development team that has a wealth of baseball knowledge, not only as fans of the game but development members that have actually played the game at very high levels, we dedicate ourselves to making the most realistic baseball experience possible. That being said, there were a few things about last year’s game that were a bit frustrating and not as realistic as we would have liked. As much as we would like to tackle every idea out there, we strategically have to pick and choose our battles. This year we decided to work on a little bit of everything, so today I’m going to highlight four of them."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 161 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
The info we have so far hasn't scratched the surface. However, I don't get the intent of saying eye black/glasses "should have been in 08".

The intent was that the info wasn't mindblowing and are not worthy of optimism.

# 162 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the swing stick is back, lol. There goes this thread, lol.
We've beaten this to death.

The problem is when you think of swing stick, you think of 2k. 2K's swing stick was far from perfect. Forget about 2k because there are ways SCEA could fine tune it and make it fun to use. So just because 2K failed at it, doesnt mean the idea of the swing stick won't work.

# 163 SoxChamp @ 01/21/09 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlbravesws05
Innovation. But apparently, The Show isn't about innovating, its all about keeping the same old and adding little things that could have been added in the past. People say the swing stick will hurt the game because its "unrealistic." But this is a video game, games are never realistic no matter how much you try not to believe it. Just because you press X to hit, doesnt make it any more realistic than using the likes of the right analog stick to hit. Also, my major grip is the pitching. I'm fine if they leave the hitting the same as long as they provide a more innovative pitching meter. They used the same meter over about 4 years now. Its not overhauling the gameplay, its tweaking them with a new batting or pitching system.
All you ever do is complain. It would be nice if you would just bypass buying the game if you feel it's not up to par and save us the trouble of reading your same gripes over and over again. Very few people agree with you.

# 164 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 05:57 PM
Someone asked me what i want, and i answered. That is all.

# 165 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 05:59 PM
SoxChamp, how would you know? The majority here will disagree with me, but outside these boards, you won't know.

# 166 countryboy @ 01/21/09 06:09 PM
You've done this before, no need to do this now. The only time you pop up in this forum is to complain and try and get people to debate back and forth with you. Thats it. You're not here to discuss the game, you're not here to provide input, and you're not here to offer up valid criticism to make the game better. Your lone objective is to bitch.

Please do us a favor and leave the thread. Its obvious you're not impressed with the game and probably never will be. I distinctly recall you saying at one point that maybe 2k is the game for you. Well, seeing as how you're never satisfied with anythign the Show does, I'd say you're right.

Thanks for stopping by, now don't let the door hit you in the *** on your way out.

# 167 Rob_NYY @ 01/21/09 06:11 PM
It's pretty obvious this guy is a 2K troll. He's done this before.

# 168 Knight165 @ 01/21/09 06:20 PM
You could call it MLB:Hot Rocks in Water Soup and I'd still say it looks friggin' AMAZING.
I'll tell you what.
I'll play MLB '08.2(we did have that one patch last year...that's .1 ) and be very happy.
40 man rosters...****le V...amateur draft....waiver options....tons of gameplay improvements.....improved atmosphere in the stadium....day/night transition.....new additions to the editor.....and sounds like even more ON TOP of the already best game out there.
I'm in....

M.K.
Knight165

# 169 Rob_NYY @ 01/21/09 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
You could call it MLB:Hot Rocks in Water Soup and I'd still say it looks friggin' AMAZING.
I'll tell you what.
I'll play MLB '08.2(we did have that one patch last year...that's .1 ) and be very happy.
40 man rosters...****le V...amateur draft....waiver options....tons of gameplay improvements.....improved atmosphere in the stadium....day/night transition.....new additions to the editor.....and sounds like even more ON TOP of the already best game out there.
I'm in....

M.K.
Knight165
Amen.

# 170 Trax @ 01/21/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
I'll tell you what.
I'm in....

M.K.
Knight165
Knight -- No kidding!

They have added everything! Jim and I talk about this every year!

The only thing I would love as I too am a roster freak -- a total player editor for all players.

This way you can change names of some of the players that last year you could not...

Here is hoping!

# 171 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 06:26 PM
Well, let me first say that i bought the PS3 for this series believe it or not. I played these games since 989's 2001 and i loved it year after year. Well, until 08 came around. I was happy with 07, but i expected more than jusy shiny graphical improvements. Well, when i bought 08, i felt as though i played 07 all over again. Knowing me, i will complain but it is inevitable for me to not buy 09 The Show. I have too. I'm just too much of a baseball fan to not get this game. However, i have no problem admitting that i look at 2K as well. Even though The Show is far far superior, i still get 2k7 and 2k8 just to try them out. Well, i sold them because they were bad. I kept 08 The Show for alittle longer but sold it as well because i started to get bored. I dont know if the same will come about this year. I will definitely look at both 2k9 and 09 and i will most likely get both. As someone mentioned before, I'm expecting to much and i wont be getting it. Whatever. Everything will always be opinionated. Me wanting a new mechanic will get me a few bashes and a few agreements. I will always stand by with what i think and i wont let nobody tell me otherwise. In this case, you are asking me to prove input and ways to improve the game, well I'am but apparently it automatically makes me a 2k trool. I will admit that yes i always come in here and talk about the inclusion of a new hitting or pitching mechanic, and yet i never get one. Maybe in '10 but we will see. Hopefully, the new player models will at least provide a sort of new refreshment to this franchise.

# 172 dtigers63 @ 01/21/09 06:45 PM
Quote:
Well, let me first say that i bought the PS3 for this series believe it or not. I played these games since 989's 2001 and i loved it year after year. Well, until 08 came around. I was happy with 07, but i expected more than jusy shiny graphical improvements. Well, when i bought 08, i felt as though i played 07 all over again. Knowing me, i will complain but it is inevitable for me to not buy 09 The Show. I have too. I'm just too much of a baseball fan to not get this game. However, i have no problem admitting that i look at 2K as well. Even though The Show is far far superior, i still get 2k7 and 2k8 just to try them out. Well, i sold them because they were bad. I kept 08 The Show for alittle longer but sold it as well because i started to get bored. I dont know if the same will come about this year. I will definitely look at both 2k9 and 09 and i will most likely get both. As someone mentioned before, I'm expecting to much and i wont be getting it. Whatever. Everything will always be opinionated. Me wanting a new mechanic will get me a few bashes and a few agreements. I will always stand by with what i think and i wont let nobody tell me otherwise. In this case, you are asking me to prove input and ways to improve the game, well I'am but apparently it automatically makes me a 2k trool. I will admit that yes i always come in here and talk about the inclusion of a new hitting or pitching mechanic, and yet i never get one. Maybe in '10 but we will see. Hopefully, the new player models will at least provide a sort of new refreshment to this franchise.

One thing I think you need to consider though, is how the developers of this game go out of their way to ask the OS community what it is they want added to the game and I think they do the best they can to accomplish this. I understand your not thrilled about their not being a new pitcher/batter interface (though I don't that's been verified, oh well I could be wrong) or swing stick, but to say that the improvements they made to franchise, the fielding improvements, ect are minor and should be dismissed isn't really being fair in the overall picture. I would even go as far to say that if it wasn't for the SCEA team, the guys from EA still wouldn't be interacting with the OS community. They saw the benefits and decided this is something they should also be doing. The one glaring omission from this equation are the 2K guys, not sure why they have no interaction with this board but it sure couldn't hurt their product in the long run.

# 173 Woodweaver @ 01/21/09 07:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtigers63
One thing I think you need to consider though, is how the developers of this game go out of their way to ask the OS community what it is they want added to the game and I think they do the best they can to accomplish this. I understand your not thrilled about their not being a new pitcher/batter interface (though I don't that's been verified, oh well I could be wrong) or swing stick, but to say that the improvements they made to franchise, the fielding improvements, ect are minor and should be dismissed isn't really being fair in the overall picture. I would even go as far to say that if it wasn't for the SCEA team, the guys from EA still wouldn't be interacting with the OS community. They saw the benefits and decided this is something they should also be doing. The one glaring omission from this equation are the 2K guys, not sure why they have no interaction with this board but it sure couldn't hurt their product in the long run.

Not to mention that there is no way to know what SCEA has tried to implement. They may have tried swing stick and new pitching meters, but could not get it to a state with which they were satisfied. Rather than release something that they felt was subpar, unbalanced, unrealistic, and/or just not fun, they may have chose to wait and focus on other elements.

Whatever the case, it makes no sense to post what you posted in this particular thread. You wouldn't go to a board for hot dog lovers, find a thread discussing the merits of the new buns, and post a comment there saying hot dogs are boring and the new buns are pointless because they haven't come up with any new shapes for hot dogs. At least, you would know you would get some push back and troll accusations.

Just my opinion.

# 174 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 07:03 PM
Of course i respect what the guys here are doing. However, its blatent that they are not imprementing new mechanics because they feel its not neccessary. That again will also create debates whoch i don't want to go through. I'm not going to beg for new mechanics, i just hope they at least consider them.

As for the other post, if they did try to work on new mechanics, i'm sure they would have mentioned it at least instead of hiding it.

# 175 Skyboxer @ 01/21/09 07:04 PM
Quote:
SoxChamp, how would you know? The majority here will disagree with me, but outside these boards, you won't know.
Arbitration, 40 man rosters, new fielding animations etc.. etc... and "it's the same game as 08"?
Any, ANY baseball fan thinks this game is going to be vastly different than '08. If you want add-ons/gimmicks just for the sake of adding things every year then this game isn't for you.
I'm not downing you but trying to save you some money.
It seems to me that you're looking for a new video game while the rest of us are looking for a new game of baseball... and we're getting it.
It's just not for you apparently. Sorry man.

# 176 dtigers63 @ 01/21/09 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Not to mention that there is no way to know what SCEA has tried to implement. They may have tried swing stick and new pitching meters, but could not get it to a state with which they were satisfied. Rather than release something that they felt was subpar, unbalanced, unrealistic, and/or just not fun, they may have chose to wait and focus on other elements.

Whatever the case, it makes no sense to post what you posted in this particular thread. You wouldn't go to a board for hot dog lovers, find a thread discussing the merits of the new buns, and post a comment there saying hots are boring because they haven't come up with any new shapes for hot dogs. At least, you would know you would get some push back and troll accusations.

Just my opinion.
Your first paragraph is an excellent point, how many times have we seen things implemented only to have it cause twice as many problems. I think this was one of the things that led to 2K's game being so underwhelming last year, they simply added to many things and never got everything debugged.

# 177 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 07:11 PM
Sky, I don't understand why you are saying every year they should include new mechanics and what not. Since the 989 days, this franchise used the same old hitting mechanics where you hit X for hitting and for the last few years, they used the same pitching mechanic with the meter. Making a transition to next gen, i expected at least one notible aspect to the overall gameplay that made it feel like a brand new or at least a "next gen" baseball game created by the same developers.

# 178 Woodweaver @ 01/21/09 07:12 PM
Quote:
Of course i respect what the guys here are doing. However, its blatent that they are not imprementing new mechanics because they feel its not neccessary. That again will also create debates whoch i don't want to go through. I'm not going to beg for new mechanics, i just hope they at least consider them.

As for the other post, if they did try to work on new mechanics, i'm sure they would have mentioned it at least instead of hiding it.
How do you know that they are blatently not implementing features because they feel they are uneccessary? Do you have some dialogue with them to which we are not privy? Or, are these just wild assumptions?

Why would they tell you or any one here about new features before they are ready? They have kept many things close to the vest even on features that are definite for the current release.

# 179 Woodweaver @ 01/21/09 07:15 PM
Quote:
Sky, I don't understand why you are saying every year they should include new mechanics and what not. Since the 989 days, this franchise used the same old hitting mechanics where you hit X for hitting and for the last few years, they used the same pitching mechanic with the meter. Making a transition to next gen, i expected at least one notible aspect to the overall gameplay that made it feel like a brand new or at least a "next gen" baseball game created by the same developers.
How about completely new graphics and hundreds of new animations to name just two "next gen" features?

# 180 atlbravesws05 @ 01/21/09 07:18 PM
One, I said gameplay.

Two, the new animations, at least for me dont enhance the overall gameplay to a new level. Plus, i'm talking specifically about pitching and hitting.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.