Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Check out the feature list for Major League Baseball 2K9.

Quote:
• Living Rosters – Active roster updates guarantee your game is current. Rosters are automatically updated behind the scenes, so you’re never late on a trade and always have the hottest players in your starting lineup.
• More Signature Style™ – 2K Sports adds to its impressive library of player–specific animations with more than 300 new signature animations, bringing players to life at the plate, on the mound and in the field, allowing you to play ball like never before.
• Next-Gen Controls – Right stick pitching, batting and responsive fielding bring your virtual baseball experience into the next generation. Improved two-step Precision Pitching™ controls, deeper Swing Stick™ batting and quick fielding responses round out your control of the game.
• Franchise Mode – Take charge of your franchise and enjoy the all-new MLB.com presentation style, a new level of CPU customization, multi-player functionality, and real player ambitions.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 King Gro23 @ 01/22/09 10:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
XBOX 360/Playstation 3
• Living Rosters – Active roster updates guarantee your game is current. Rosters are automatically updated behind the scenes, so you’re never late on a trade and always have the hottest players in your starting lineup.
• More Signature Style™ – 2K Sports adds to its impressive library of player–specific animations with more than 300 new signature animations, bringing players to life at the plate, on the mound and in the field, allowing you to play ball like never before.
• Next-Gen Controls – Right stick pitching, batting and responsive fielding bring your virtual baseball experience into the next generation. Improved two-step Precision Pitching™ controls, deeper Swing Stick™ batting and quick fielding responses round out your control of the game.
• Franchise Mode – Take charge of your franchise and enjoy the all-new MLB.com presentation style, a new level of CPU customization, multi-player functionality, and real player ambitions.
• Swing Stick™ Advanced – Now you can really Play Ball. Improved batting controls give batters the ability to influence hits with timing and aim. Improved hit distribution and variety deliver more hit types including spray shots, pulls, line drives and long bombs.
• Inside Edge 2009 – Inside Edge produces remarkably accurate player tendencies. With more than 6 years of scouting reports infused into the action on the field, Inside Edge ensures that players react to in-game situations as they would in real life.
• 2K HD/Real-Time Atmosphere – An all-new Virtual Director brings in-game broadcasts to life in real-time with smart camera placement, angles, and cuts. Real-Time Atmosphere adds to the presentation package by bringing nuances to life throughout the duration of a game. Lighting, umpires, ball boys and coaches all move and progress naturally and seamlessly for a true-to-life ballpark experience.
• New Broadcast Team – Gary Thorne provides the play by play calls alongside color analyst Steve Phillips giving a new perspective and more depth for a true-to-life, insightful
broadcast. With improved sound effects including real time crowd noise you’ll feel like you’re actually sitting in the park.
• Postseason Mode – New Playoffs Mode – Jump right into the post season without having to play through 162 regular season games. And if you win it all, experience a World Series® celebration in true championship style.
• Team 2K – An online competition lasting 10 weeks to compile a team of the best online players. Just play Ranked Quick Matches to compete and win prizes. * Void where prohibited. See 2Ksports.com/team2K for details.
• 2K Share – How do you play ball? Create, upload, and share rosters, sliders, and even players created with the all-new Player DNA feature. This also includes the newly added Reelmaker, where you can now direct your own digital video highlight reels and post them on 2KSports.com for all the world to watch and admire.
This is just awesome, with a clean framerate (60fps) and 95% comfirmed meatballs are gone. 2K share is what I was praying for. The new broadcast team is great that means fresh new commentary for days. VC has always had good commentary. (depth wise)
Inside Edge 2009 sounds revamped im looking for new tedencies
Starting up my chise, with new mlb.com presentation, New commentary and 2K HD/ real-life atmosphere is just going to be bananas.
Redesigned stadiums
MLB 2K9 if comes through (which most likely will because its VC ) could be a great title to tandem with The Show

P.S. Im not getting too excited as I am with sox fan but I was never that negative on 2k

# 22 Riotboy @ 01/22/09 10:04 PM
These features are WIN, looking good 2K9.

# 23 rock85 @ 01/22/09 10:52 PM
Everything sounds great. I really liked the screen shots(looks better then last year already) The franchise mode sounds like it will be like the NBA and Hockey games. I trust VC in making an enjoyable game. Looks like we could have TWO really good baseball game this year

# 24 njdevils09 @ 01/22/09 11:14 PM
any official word on a release date? this site has it as April 2nd which would suck, but at least it would give them more time to work on it instead of giving us an unfinished crappy game again. The other sites all have it is march 2nd or 3rd. Anyone?

# 25 JoshCA916 @ 01/22/09 11:21 PM
it will ship march 2nd, and be available to purchase TUESDAY MARCH 3, 2009

# 26 Shakedowncapo @ 01/23/09 09:15 AM
Hate to rain on parades but...where do we see 60fps? And don't say its a given because it's VC..

# 27 SPTO @ 01/23/09 09:21 AM
Gary Thorne=good Steve Philips, not so much.

I hope they retain the older control styles or i'm gonna be SOL when pitching. I also think the updated roster thing is a great idea too.

# 28 htfdthewhale @ 01/23/09 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKermit

I'm also interested to hear more about the "Living Rosters" feature. Does that mean rosters will update in our franchises to stay up-to-date with the actual rosters? That would be pretty sweet.
I imagine the Living Rosters will be implemented as they were in NBA Live and NBA 2k9 and will have no impact once franchise mode has started. The living roster will change every however many days and whichever roster version is loaded at the time you start your franchise will be the one moving forward.

# 29 HealyMonster @ 01/23/09 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...let me try and talk you down a bit (if you're wondering, I had to give myself the same talk...lol). While the new mechanic certainly sounds great, let's not forget that it doesn't mean the overall pitcher-batter matchup and results have been improved.

Meaning that if you still have the meatballs, poor hit variety, excessive HRs, no walks, etc. It will be a well-controlled mess...lol. Add to that, suspect framerate, poor lighting, etc. and it's not too much different. Not saying that will be the case, by any means, just tossing out the possibility.

Not trying to convince you one way or the other and I AM NOT saying this game will not fix what ailed it. We don't know. Just explaining why I've tempered my own excitement about this particular feature.

I'm extremely intrigued by this game now, I can't pretend otherwise. BUT, 2K8 (and in many ways, it's predecessors) is still painfully etched in my mind as an example where hype and substance don't necessarily meet.

Personally, I'll be waiting for reviews, give it a rent, and go from there. I admit though, it went from a "no way, no how" to an "if this is even close, I'm sold" potential purchase...lol.

Im sitting here saying the same thing. I went from sitting at my computer, with no intent to buy this game until at least mid april or until massive playtime by the community has been scrutinized,etc to sitting at my computer on OS reading this thread, to definitely buying the game on release day, to now calming myself down. lol. guess this means its almost baseball season.

# 30 SoxFan01605 @ 01/23/09 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
whats wrong with Steve Phillips? I think he is a great baseball mind and really knows what he is talking about. I enjoy the Gary Thorne/Steve Phillips pairing on ESPN...
I dunno...lol. I think some Mets fans might disagree on the "great baseball mind" thing. I hate him (well, his commentary, his voice, and everything baseball related...obviously don't know him as a person) and think he's a self-indugent wind bag.

He spends all his time trying to hammer home his views on what GMs should do (I know that's, in a way, his function, but it's the way he does it that's annoying).

To each his own though...obviously no reason you can't like him. Many just don't is all.

Hopefully he'll be decent in the game. Maybe as a color guy in a video game, his more annoying traits won't come through. I guess I don't mind too much as long as the lines are varied and the "flow" is right. Otherwise, it's just a guy I hate on repeat...lol.

# 31 brendanrfoley @ 01/23/09 12:43 PM
I'm thrilled with this features list. I also love Gary Thorne, and while not a big fan of Steve Phillips, hope he can do well in this setting.

# 32 drterb @ 01/23/09 02:32 PM
Wow, I had no idea there was such a hate for Steve Phillips!!

I can't say that I like or dislike him, more of a "meh" feeling. Love the Gary Thorne choice, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
Hate to rain on parades but...where do we see 60fps? And don't say its a given because it's VC..
This is the one thing that worries me about 2k9. IMO 60fps is a must in baseball games. If it only runs at 30fps, the Swing Stick Advanced becomes a moot feature.

# 33 BadKermit @ 01/23/09 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
There's a fly in the ointment with something like that though, especially when concerning the off-season. How is it we handle any sort of movement in the off-season? What if we cut a guy, then the next day they do their updates and low and behold he magically comes back on our team? What if a player retires at the end of a real season and right when you're in the middle of your playoff run his disappearance affects your team for the worse? What if a rookie is drafted and the guy never existed in your farm system to begin with, or he wasn't a part of your plans and they send down a guy you've had in your starting lineup?

With all of this said, unless you're not permitted to progress past the real life date, injuries are somehow disabled (left for real life injures I suppose), and you stay on the same starting rotation as real life... I don't see this as being a possibility, and never really understood how people wanted such a feature. Isn't being a GM or owner all about making the franchise run the way you want it?

Funny thing, though... I don't know how many times the real life trades and signings that I made had become a reality. Funny how I think the way that a GM does.
Good point. I never thought about that. I guess no matter how it's implemented, at least it sounds like 2K will be much better about updating rosters than they have been in the past.

# 34 bwiggy33 @ 01/23/09 04:40 PM
This game is sounding pretty good. I am happy there is no shortage on the features. It sounds like they are actaully adding a lot to this years game.

I am so happy that Gary Thorne and Steve Phillips are announcing. They are a great broadcast team on ESPN and it should be pretty fun to listen to. Also Steve Phillips knows a ton about baseball. Gary Thorne is probabally my favorite announcer of anyone because I grew up listening to him on ESPN announcing hockey.

Real time rosters is something that I was hoping for as well. In years past they had too few roster updates and it and now it will just make the game that much more realistic.

It also sounds like the presentation will be improved as well. I am a big presentation guy as I love the feeling that I am watching a baseball game on T.V. Since Thorne and Phillips are announcing it will feel as though I'm watching a game on ESPN.

The gameplay seems to be improved to. Hopefully the types of hits they talk about in the features list will prove to be true. I never liked the swing stick in 2k8 because you didn't have to aim the left stick anywhere to hit the ball well. It was basically just an up down motion and you hit the ball hard. Now that they hopefully improved it, it will seem more true to life where you have to take outside pitches to the opposite field and inside pitches have to be pulled.

I was not expecting this many changes to the game at all since it switched developers and all. Seeing all of the features included in this game makes me believe this game is going to be pretty good. Obviously I have to wait to see gameplay footage and screenshots to determine how good the game will be but at least this list of features is a good start.

# 35 Str8_A @ 01/23/09 05:14 PM
It's good to finally read some features for the Wii version. Sounds good so far for Wii owners.

# 36 WazzuRC @ 01/24/09 01:49 AM
Solid feature list.

I just hope the gameplay holds up. Could care less about anything else.

# 37 jerm21 @ 01/24/09 01:55 AM
I'm actually extremely excited about this game. Yeah it blew last year. But so many new things. It's gotta be better.

New announcers is key. Something new to listen to.

# 38 Shinyhubcaps @ 01/25/09 11:28 PM
The controls sound absolutely horrid. It's interesting that they took their most strained, complex features and stretched their small level of simplicity even thinner.

# 39 King Gro23 @ 01/25/09 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickzeus
im glad vc incorporated the real-life updates to rosters. Hopefully they stay on top of it. How well does it work for nba 2k9?
atleast 2 updates a week, NBA 2K9 living rosters are great they keep up good. It will be insane if they edit signature moves in MLB like nba does it

# 40 King Gro23 @ 01/25/09 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyhubcaps
The controls sound absolutely horrid. It's interesting that they took their most strained, complex features and stretched their small level of simplicity even thinner.
not quite sure what you mean, They simplified the pitching controls made it 2 steps instead of last years 3 step process
All that zone hitting is just another style of hitting it can be toggled on/off in menu
Swing stick is improved, hit influence is just whether you want to try to hit a fly ball or grounder.
Tell me what you mean?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.