Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Gamespot has posted their hands on preview of MLB 2K9.

Quote:
"Like all of the core titles in 2K Sports' roster of sports games, MLB 2K9 has been pulled into internal development. The result is a baseball game that, at least graphically, has been built from the ground up. Producers told us that while the AI code has been modified and built from previous entries in the MLB 2K series, the look and feel of the game are new."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 tyler289 @ 01/26/09 09:54 PM
It sounds nice - especially the player personalities - but that first beckett picture looks awful. Who holds their glove hand facing up when pitching?

I like that the team is focusing on NBA2k9 as a reference point. That game is supposedly great, so that's good.

# 2 TeixeiraFanatic @ 01/26/09 10:08 PM
i'm really liking what i see.
Keep it up 2K.

# 3 SoxFan01605 @ 01/26/09 10:11 PM
Ugh. Somebody please tell me that I'm reading too far (or not far enough?) into their review of the batting mechanic. It sounds like it's just a more detailed influence system (meaning NOT zone) and they've taken away the step timing (one of the redeeming qualities of the swing stick. I've gone from extremely hopeful to disappointed in a short time...lol. I loved the step timing and thought the only thing missing was the "aiming." Now it will have neither?

On a more positive note, I like the sound of what they've done with franchise (especially 30 team control) and that they've apparently focused on addressing consumer issues with 2K8.

I'll wait for a more detailed (and, to be honest, trustworthy...when it comes to sports) review before I jump of that ledge...lol...but I didn't like what I heard about the hitting. It worries me that Gamespot equates simplification to fun. We'll see, I guess.

# 4 Damanjinx @ 01/26/09 10:11 PM
Well i really dont know what to think, its nice that the game was built graphically from the ground up, but was it really needed i guess so since 2k7 looked great. I really wonder how much went into animations and fielding, i mean they supposedly adressed the problems like they say then we better get a decent playing game this year.

# 5 RedRooster @ 01/26/09 10:11 PM
Living Rosters?? I know I'm out of the loop, but that piqued my interest, big time.

# 6 SoxFan01605 @ 01/26/09 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRooster
Living Rosters?? I know I'm out of the loop, but that piqued my interest, big time.
Just a fancy slogan for more frequent roster updates...lol. If like NBA 2K9, it won't be much different, other than frequency. They've done a good job in NBA 2K9 though, so that is good news.

# 7 Artman22 @ 01/26/09 10:16 PM
From the sound of it. They are still working hard with this title. They only have about a month left. Then again this interview was done last week. Hopefully they can come through

# 8 Artman22 @ 01/26/09 10:21 PM
The Longoria pic looks good. They said they built the graphics from the ground up for this game. Man i want to see this game in motion.

# 9 tyler289 @ 01/26/09 10:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Ugh. Somebody please tell me that I'm reading too far (or not far enough?) into their review of the batting mechanic. It sounds like it's just a more detailed influence system (meaning NOT zone) and they've taken away the step timing (one of the redeeming qualities of the swing stick. I've gone from extremely hopeful to disappointed in a short time...lol. I loved the step timing and thought the only thing missing was the "aiming." Now it will have neither?
I actually thought the same thing. Definitely want to see what they mean by this...I actually liked the step hitting and stuff. I don't want to have to click the right stick or anything.

# 10 NumberOneRB @ 01/26/09 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605

On a more positive note, I like the sound of what they've done with franchise (especially 30 team control) and that they've apparently focused on addressing consumer issues with 2K8.

I'll wait for a more detailed (and, to be honest, trustworthy...when it comes to sports) review before I jump of that ledge...lol...but I didn't like what I heard about the hitting. It worries me that Gamespot equates simplification to fun. We'll see, I guess.
I'll have to agree with you that I was initially elated to know they were incorporating zone hitting similar to MVP baseball. Unfortunately, it appears the hitting mechanic isn't true zone hitting and is more of a "ball influence modifier." I was really intrigued about the notion of combining the swing stick with step influence with the left stick zone aiming, now it appears that interest was all for not. I'll wait for another preview as well to learn about the true batting method.

# 11 StevenSeagalsLipitor @ 01/26/09 10:25 PM
Is it me or does the crowd look the same?

# 12 NeoExelor @ 01/26/09 10:31 PM
That doesn't even look like Jose Reyes :-/

# 13 johnnyg713 @ 01/26/09 10:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSeagalsLipitor
Is it me or does the crowd look the same?
to me they look the same as well from those screen shots. kind of disappointing after reading other previews saying that there will be vendors walking up and down the isles to make the crowd look more realistic. i was really hoping to see something very similar to nba 2k9.

# 14 Stroehms @ 01/26/09 10:32 PM
Looks good. Hopefully it's amazing

# 15 RedLine @ 01/26/09 10:33 PM
Good first look at the game I thought.

Well the screen shots look like an upgrade over 2K8 I think, so that's good. And they did seem to fill in the crowd as can be seen on all the pictures. The grass is still kind of meh.

As far as the changes to pitching, I don't know if I like removing the "timing" part of the pitch. I guess it makes it simpler and we now just have power and accuracy depending on the gesture only? We'll see. Could be too simple.

The batting changes are good but again, removing the "timing" portion of the Step seems like an oversimplification we didn't really need. I like the influence hit option but I too was hoping to have the zone hitting that was hinted.

Perhaps we will still have options for last year's version of pitching and hitting but I doubt it.

There was no mention of minor leagues either, I hope they didn't remove the ability to play A - AAA teams.

So although there are some nice improvements coming (60 FPS, better graphics, etc), there is some "dumbing down" of the mechanics that don't sound great, but might actually play better, we'll see.

Can't wait to hear more from more hands-on previewers to fill in some of the missing pieces.

# 16 SoxFan01605 @ 01/26/09 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
to me they look the same as well from those screen shots. kind of disappointing after reading other previews saying that there will be vendors walking up and down the isles to make the crowd look more realistic. i was really hoping to see something very similar to nba 2k9.
Guys, I honestly wouldn't spend too much time worrying about the pictures. They said it "still looked and felt early" and that it was just a preview build. I wouldn't worry about the stuff like the corwd and details like that just yet.

It would be nice if some developers could find some time to interact and address these kind of concerns. I guess I'm getting spoiled over in the other game's forum...lol.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about visuals just yet

# 17 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/26/09 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Well, this is definitely good news. If they had to take a step back with some features to correct some flaws, that's okay with me, as long as the gameplay has been improved. The graphics will do just fine, the animations are yet to be seen, but it was noted they need more work. Time is getting short on that one though.

Ability to control all 30 teams is a plus. I think the preview was okay really. More to come will tell the tale, but encouraging so far.
My feelings exactly.

# 18 Blzer @ 01/26/09 10:52 PM
Why did they say there was zone hitting before?

I don't want to influence my damn swing!

# 19 JohnDoe8865 @ 01/26/09 10:59 PM
Well, it's good to atleast finally get a little info on the game, no matter how vague.

I too, wish that a VC rep would be more involved with the community here similar to how the MLB: The Show team and EA's various teams have been. It'd be a very nice step in getting some more direct input.

# 20 johnnyg713 @ 01/26/09 11:05 PM
"Move it up for a fly ball, down for a grounder, left to send the ball toward the third baseman, and so on. Naturally, the timing of your swing and when you make contact with the ball will still come into play here; the left stick will be just for influencing the path of the ball."

to me the explanation of the hitting seemed just that of mvp 05. you used the left stick to aim where you want the ball to go. in mvp 05 if you want to hit the ball down the line you aim all the way to the left or right just like they explained in the preview. if you want a ground ball you obv aim the left stick low.

also keep in mind that the swing effects the direction as well... if you are aiming the left stick up but you make contact too late, the ball will most likely be a pop up, but if you make a direct contact IM ASSUMING it will go straight to center field.

That's how i took the explanation anyways

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.