Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I set weapon icons and any/all other graphical options all to off by default (like the weapons, icon hints, big pre-play controls menu, etc). So now when you play Madden 'out of the box', it looks ultra clean and pristine. To everyone I showed, they sort of breathed a sigh of relief when looking at it...just "pure football" again. The only thing you see is the score bug (which has been redesigned from 09 btw and I think pretty much everyone will dig it).

But before we ship it like that...what do you guys think? Do you prefer it that way? Do you use the pre-play menu? For our mass amount of buyers, do you think they need the helpers like the icons, weapons, pre-play menu, etc?

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Hotlanta @ 02/07/09 10:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Details
I hope that doesn't count as the weekly update.

I was gonna make a post saying we get to see screens of it for the next update + something else. It's something new to see with out being incredibly huge news but still showing the development madden is going through.

# 82 CW McGraw @ 02/07/09 10:25 PM
Have weapons actually been anything more than a visual representation of what the ratings say? I always thought the icons just showed that someone reached a certain rating in a given stat, not that they are magically better than other player because they have a little picture of a lock or hands underneath them.

But back to the topic. I personally like the weapons. They allow me to quickly identify both mine and my opponent's personnel. Without weapons I'll get angry when a guy who should've been Ted Ginn can't run past slow old Ty Law because he's been subbed out because of fatigue when in reality practice squad blocking receiver Brandon London is in. I'm fine with cleaning up the presentation, but as arcadey as weapons make the game appear, I find they serve a purpose. If they're off by default, I for one will keep them on.

# 83 Vikes1 @ 02/07/09 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Bottom. I guess I can answer that right?
One more bit of good news.

# 84 Bgamer90 @ 02/08/09 12:03 AM
Quote:
I definitely know yours. Ours is probably 28% better than that one.
Than that confirms that it has a sports ticker... if it is 28% better (lol)

# 85 thudias @ 02/08/09 12:07 AM
How did I get so confused? Will this be a franchise sportsticker of ongoing games in our Madden Franchise?

# 86 oldskoolmaddenfanz27 @ 02/08/09 02:53 AM
This has to be the most praise laden topic Ian has made yet. I'll throw my name in there with the people who like it the way you have it.

# 87 TheWatcher @ 02/08/09 08:29 AM
I can't stress enough though, the most important thing is that there is choice for all of these things.

If turning on-screen indicators OFF means they all go off, and turning them back to ON means they all come back on, then I don't think this will be good. It has to be a situation like this in the menu screen:

Weapons ------ on off

Preplay controls ------ on off

Icon Hints ---- on off

They have to be separate, because say I want to one day turn my preplay controls on but not the other stuff? I need to be able to do that without being forced to turn everything else on by default.

# 88 TheWatcher @ 02/08/09 08:49 AM
One more thought I had about indicators... I've always had this idea for a small option/feature where I could turn off all passing indicators, and then have to memorize what routes/receivers are assigned to what buttons on every play.

But to make it more sensible, the playcall screen would tell you which routes were attributed to each button and the route may even be color-coded to match the buttons. Then once you drop back to pass, you have to have remembered which receiver is assigned to which route just like an NFL QB has to know. You press the right button and you throw it to where you wanted it to go. Press the wrong button, and you pay the price. It would add that element of having to learn the routes in your playbook like an NFL QB would, and it would also add an extra layer of challenge.

Just imagine, it's the 4th qrtr. Game is tight, all tied up. You hit the field for the last drive. Your controller is rumbling because the QB is nervous. You're on the road and the home crowd is going crazy. You drop back, and in that quick moment you're not sure if you're supposed to hit the A receiver or the B receiver, but you rely on instinct, step up and let it go... did you choose the right option? Will it be a pick or a completion? Just a little idea.

# 89 viceguy @ 02/08/09 09:34 AM
Quote:
I set weapon icons and any/all other graphical options all to off by default (like the weapons, icon hints, big pre-play controls menu, etc). So now when you play Madden 'out of the box', it looks ultra clean and pristine. To everyone I showed, they sort of breathed a sigh of relief when looking at it...just "pure football" again. The only thing you see is the score bug (which has been redesigned from 09 btw and I think pretty much everyone will dig it).

But before we ship it like that...what do you guys think? Do you prefer it that way? Do you use the pre-play menu? For our mass amount of buyers, do you think they need the helpers like the icons, weapons, pre-play menu, etc?
Ian

When in doubt, keep it simple and put the final decision into the hands of the USER...Ive said this with uniform selections and Ill say it now for all these other gimmicky features...some people love them ..others do not.....let us decide

PUT THE DECISION IN THE HANDS OF THE USER (CUSTOMER$$$)

# 90 green94 @ 02/08/09 10:14 AM
Quote:
Bottom. I guess I can answer that right?
Nice.

# 91 Bootzilla @ 02/08/09 11:26 AM
Icons can go. A simple button press to bring up options such as audibles and adjustments would suffice.

I feel a more in depth scouting report(and teams playing like their real life counterparts) would make more sense than icons. For example: The Steelers are really aggressive in their 3-4 scheme. Edge rushers Harrison and Woodley are stars in the front seven. Run screens and draws to slow down their pass rush.

Also, I'd like to see unit rankings. Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. i.e. the Broncos for years didn't necessarily have dominant individuals on their offensive line but, as a unit they were very cohesive and always had a really good running game.

# 92 Jistic @ 02/08/09 12:16 PM
Turn all that junk off and replace it with an obscene amount of stat overlays.

# 93 BezO @ 02/08/09 02:36 PM
Off, thank you.

Any chance the FG/kick off meter method is being nixed?

# 94 falconfanATL#3 @ 02/08/09 08:33 PM
for pre play, we need another button to go backwards when cycling through players.

# 95 JAYMO76 @ 02/08/09 09:45 PM
Personally I LIKE THE WEAPONS FEATURE. But here is the compromise... five the user the ability to turn the weapons on or off. If you want the weapons default to "OFF" so be it, but give the gamer the opportunity to turn them on.

# 96 oChaos_Nine @ 02/09/09 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookie48
See this is beautiful...All of us want the kind of presentation that makes us feel like we are there at the game and all the weapon icons would just clutter the crap out fo the game anyway. Honestly I would rather the weapons be more of a signiture attribute than a play determining factor
Agree. Or completely get rid of the weapon system and make ratings matter? If the icon was there just to let you know what they were good at I would be ok with it, but they give players certain skills that they should already be able to do (if ratings mattered), besides the lightbulb weapon which I think is BS.

I think of weapons like certain perks in CoD. Pointless IMO and takes away from realism.

# 97 BezO @ 02/09/09 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sim God
if all this goes then a LARGER instruction book would be appreciated. 4 pages = by the time i settle in on the john the book is finished
Please put all the controls in the book. No reason folks should have to come on line to learn the controls.

# 98 callmetaternuts @ 02/09/09 10:28 AM
Im way late on this one, but leave them off. We want football, presentation and gameplay. The icons just arcade it up (even though it doesnt affect how anyone plays)

# 99 Mjphillips @ 02/09/09 10:43 AM
I always turn weapomns and all of that stuff off on every game I play. I just want to see my players. I know that Ray Lewis is a beast. i don't need an icon to tell me that.

# 100 OverUnder @ 02/09/09 12:42 PM
GOOD CALL .... REMOVE all weapon screens along with preplay screens...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.