Home
Madden 2010 News Post

I set weapon icons and any/all other graphical options all to off by default (like the weapons, icon hints, big pre-play controls menu, etc). So now when you play Madden 'out of the box', it looks ultra clean and pristine. To everyone I showed, they sort of breathed a sigh of relief when looking at it...just "pure football" again. The only thing you see is the score bug (which has been redesigned from 09 btw and I think pretty much everyone will dig it).

But before we ship it like that...what do you guys think? Do you prefer it that way? Do you use the pre-play menu? For our mass amount of buyers, do you think they need the helpers like the icons, weapons, pre-play menu, etc?

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 101 Von Dozier @ 02/09/09 01:05 PM
I don't think weapons need to be on, but I do think you should leave the Pre-Play screen on. Sometimes even I need a reminder to what's what. I can't imagine a casual trying to figure out audibles and shifts without it.

# 102 g2thecore @ 02/09/09 03:57 PM
I think I like everything "off" by default. Usually when I play I turn them off anyways. I can't wait to see this score bug!

# 103 Stroehms @ 02/09/09 07:28 PM
Can we get a pic of what this looks like?

# 104 supdog @ 02/09/09 11:04 PM
Cant you just add the option when your profile is created to have it on or off?

# 105 KRS-One @ 02/10/09 12:45 AM
Have them off by default, but make sure it is clear to beginners that the options are there, and easily toggle-able (I know that's not a word, shutup). How to do that, obviously, is what you are getting paid for. Hah.

# 106 Stikskillz @ 02/11/09 03:49 AM
Please leave them off and/or give users the ability to add/remove it from their profile settings. Also, please bring back a respectable instruction/user manual and tutorial videos on the game menu with someone from the NFL Network providing the instructions on how to execute moves.

# 107 rudyjuly2 @ 02/11/09 11:04 AM
I prefer the cleaner look with things off in all video games. I can always turn them on. Is is possible to have them turned ON for the lower difficulty levels but OFF on the higher ones as a default?

(Sorry if this has already been asked, didn't read through all posts).

# 108 mavfan21 @ 02/11/09 02:52 PM
Keep it clean and have the wepon icons come up when you pull the r-trigger to see the play design.

# 109 TheWatcher @ 02/11/09 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
Keep it clean and have the wepon icons come up when you pull the r-trigger to see the play design.
I wouldn't want that. I don't wanna see weapons anymore at all myself. I think it just needs to be a situation of if you have them on you see them, if you have them off you don't. I'd rather there be no in-between's on this one.

# 110 kevster2 @ 02/11/09 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
So just to give a little insight, honestly this was definitely my first thought. But as I thought a little deeper...realistically is a person new to next-gen Madden going to do any pre-snap adjustments? I think they more likely feel overwhelmed when they see all these options. All of my friends nowadays say "Madden is too hard to play now", but I mean the core mechanics are the same from when they played 5 years ago - call a play, snap it, throw it, run, etc. IMO, it's the overkill with a million options that are always in their face that contributes to the panic. It immediately can invoke the feeling that "maybe I don't know what I'm doing" if you aren't using every one of those options. So I know the knee jerk thought is to think that we need to give more info for casual gamers, but that can often be detrimental when you go overboard.

We could also probably debate whether that many "casual" Madden gamers even exist on next-gen...do a lot of people out there spend $300+ bucks on new hardware and probably $1k at least on HD setups and stuff when they have no clue how to use a controller or have never seen a game of football? Wii on the other hand...
I agree totally with you Ian, it can be very intimidating to see all that stuff on the screen. It makes the game look complicated. I would go with keeping it clean.

# 111 Bubstarr @ 02/16/09 11:17 PM
Great move Ian. The weapon icons are juvenile and corny.Realism is key and you are definitely leading the way.

# 112 LowerWolf @ 02/16/09 11:24 PM
I turned everything off in Madden 09, but one thing I miss is seeing my audibles. Is it possible to have everything off but if you press the audible button to have your plays pop up?

# 113 mr_president @ 02/17/09 01:26 AM
Quote:
just "pure football"

it's what your striving for, and if the result of you turning them off gives you a sense of moving closer to your goal, then by all means leave them off.

i think they should be left off.
you can always add an extra icon next to player pictures in the roster, so when you access your roster the icon(s) is there for you to see.

# 114 babyface12188 @ 02/17/09 06:27 PM
The pre-play menu for me is big. Hot routes, o-line shifts, sending the RB to block, WR/TE shifts. Audibles is HUGE....There were years where u only had cetain audibles to choose from. In the 09 version, I love the fact that u can audible, and stay in the same formation. For example I use a 2 WR, 2 TE, and 1 RB set. Its a stretch running play, and I dont like the way the D is playing it. So I audible to a short pass play.( WR slanting in, and TE on outside flats, RB is Blocking). And the opposing D has no idea. I love that. On defense the same thing. Line/ LB shifts. DB's playing tight....

Pre play menu is huge. Now im not sure if your taking it out the game completely, but i think its a big part of the game. Whether playing 1-1 with somebody, or during your franchise.

If i read correctly, I think it should stay on...

# 115 oldskoolmaddenfanz27 @ 03/02/09 01:33 AM
Everyone already did this anyway brah.

# 116 Effington @ 03/02/09 02:57 AM
I'm shocked no one else rolled with a great idea mentioned earlier: show the icons in the play selection screen, but not when the actual players get on the field. It really does seem like the best of both worlds; we can see our weapons clearly, and it also doesn't clutter up the screen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.