Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Hey guys, we thought it would be a perfect time to share something that I am personally very excited about for Madden NFL 10. We took each and every rating in the game (over 50+ player ratings) and scaled them up/down in a way that is now using much more of the scale. I like to describe it around the office like this…”We basically stretched out the ratings.” We want to use more of the numbers so we get a bigger, more noticeable affect in the game.

Let me give you guys an example….in Madden NFL 09 all of the WR’s Route Running ratings ranged from 62-99. In the current Madden NFL 10 build, WR’s now check in from 35-99. To counter this on the defensive side, all CB’s in Madden NFL 09 had a Man Coverage rating which ranged from 64-99. Now in Madden NFL 10, CB’s Man Coverage range is currently 40-99.

Every position and every rating has been re-scaled to expand the range of numbers we are dealing with. The Overall Rating for your average NFL player has dropped. Your Joe Average linebacker who was 80 OVR is now dropped down to 70. The players who were before right on the cusp of 90 in a rating category are now down around 85-88…Meaning, there are fewer superstar players out there. Before, where you could maybe get by throwing to your slot WR who had 93 SPD, with 74 ROUTES, and 77 Catching…now in Madden NFL 10, that guy is going to have like 91 SPD, 60-65 ROUTES and anywhere from 65-70 Catching. Let me tell you, these rating drops make a big difference when that slot rookie WR with 90+ speed now drops every 3rd pass or so, or just simply cannot get open.
The superstars have not been affected however, this is intentional. Peyton is still 99 OVR, Patrick Willis a 99, Larry Fitz is 99, etc. The elite players at rating categories have not been affected either (JaMarcus Russell still has a 98 Throw Power and Chris Johnson still rated 99 Speed). [Side note: One of my personal goals is to have the actual NFL players in Madden NFL 10 look like their real-life counterparts and play to their strengths and weaknesses like never before in a football video game.]

Speaking of the Speed, which is always a hot topic, we made some major changes with the infamous SPD rating as well. To give you a great example, I will again go back to WR and CB. In Madden NFL 09, the WR SPD range was 85-100…CB was 87-99.

In Madden NFL 10, WR SPD range is currently 70-100…CB is currently 75-99. So as you may or may not tell, the SPD range has been pushed down, in our opinions, to better reflect the “sim-gameplay” style that Ian and Phil have been telling you about all winter long. This SPD change has been updated for each position, so it makes a huge game play affect.

Ian and I had a game the other day where Earnest Graham broke one up the middle for a 55 yard touchdown run… and he could not be caught!…E-Grahams’ Madden NFL 10 current SPD rating….80 SPD. That should give you a good sense of what is possible with the new ratings. It’s not all about having the 90+ SPD anymore. On this particular run, Ian’s CB’s got hung up against some blockers and all I had to do was beat one safety and Graham was gone! He had Brandon Jacobs and his 85 SPD breaking some long runs as well. On the flip side of bigger/slower backs, Chris Johnson is absolutely lethal right now. You can actually get him outside with sweeps now and he is a beast to stop. But again, we are constantly tuning the gameplay, we have an entire team dedicated to that and they are some of the best people we have in the building.

So there you have it, player ratings are in for a major overhaul this year and I am really excited already with the impact they are having on the early builds of the game. And rest assured, we are well aware of the outside impacts this will have….Rookies will now come into the league based on the new ranges, NCAA Import guys are being tuned as well…Progression has been accounted for as well to better reflect breakout stars and burned-out former stars. Meaning, we want to have bigger jumps in OVR this year, both positive and negative. That’s all for now, probably gave away too much already!

Would love to hear any feedback about this big new change in the way we do player ratings. I’d be happy to answer any questions regarding the new rating ranges….please no individual ratings questions, not answering those! Stay tuned for more Madden player rating related blogs in the future!

- Donny Moore – Madden NFL 10 Designer

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 bgeno @ 02/09/09 07:31 PM
I don't know about this. Just seems like speed will mean even more now. If Earnest Graham is busting long runs, imaging what Chris Johnson or Darren Sproles are going to do in the open field if they're still ridiculously fast and the people around them are slower than before. Get my drift?

# 22 g2thecore @ 02/09/09 07:31 PM
Sounds awesome! I can't wait to see how that works with actual gameplay. I just hope that they DO pay attention to NCAA imports as mentioned. Great blog, can't wait for next week's news.

# 23 bgeno @ 02/09/09 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
So you are telling me that the fast players will have an even easier time this year?
My thoughts exactly.

# 24 splff3000 @ 02/09/09 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteykirch
So you are telling me that the fast players will have an even easier time this year?
Actually this is a valid question. If you slow everyone down, but keep the fast players fast, that's gonna make them extremely fast. Having said that, I do agree Chris Henry should be fast as heck, but I don't wanna see him trucking too many people. That has been the problem in the past. You have a fast player, but he is over rated because he's doing things that he's not known for, like trucking people in Chris Henry's case. As long as Chris Henry is fast as heck and that's about it, then it should be close to accurate.

EDIT: Chris Henry(above) should say Chris Johnson

# 25 countryboy @ 02/09/09 07:38 PM
Another one of those "minor" changes thats going to go a long way in adding depth and longevity to the game.

Good call guys, good call

# 26 SteelerSpartan @ 02/09/09 07:39 PM
Ian and Donny, I hope you guys were paying close attention to the shortcomings of NCAA's "Wide Open Gameplay" <-

This sounds great in theory but the most obvious hazard would be a nerfed pass rush if the suction blocking is still so persistent

# 27 ch46647 @ 02/09/09 07:40 PM
[Side note: One of my personal goals is to have the actual NFL players in Madden NFL 10 look like their real-life counterparts and play to their strengths and weaknesses like never before in a football video game.]

^^^ This is the best thing I have heard in a long time when it comes to sports gaming. I love this new team working on Madden! I have never in my life been so excited for a game as I am for Madden 10. Keep up the great work guys!

# 28 Nza @ 02/09/09 07:46 PM
Rerating like this has been common practice on Madden PC for years, particularly once editors with global editing came about. I remember the same thing for 2K5 and its editor. Much larger ranges for attributes has been a user end fix for sports games in general for a while.

The problem was always keeping the consistency during franchise type modes. Progression and draft classes etc would mess with it. Both were somewhat editable on Madden PC, but it was still a challenge. That, and Madden of old had far fewer attribute ratings so the influence was limited (assuming the Madden of current has no or at least very few 'placebos' anyway).

So to hear this will be Madden's default system is refreshing, and I'm sure many old time roster editors particularly for Madden PC will be encouraged by it. I can easily see how it may have a drastic effect on gameplay like Ian said - after all, ratings are the bread and butter of Madden gameplay. Ideally, the rating system should work like a highly influential set of gameplay sliders. As already stated though, such change will need to be carefully administered to make sure players like Chris Johnson and Devin Hester aren't too effective, and that franchise mode rating changes and rookies blend in.

With this and the procedural awareness already discussed, Madden 10 is already starting to take a "boom or bust" approach. Stuff like this, if implemented properly, could power the biggest improvement from one Madden to another ever, but that is a big 'if'.

# 29 K_GUN @ 02/09/09 07:48 PM
fantastic guys! simply fantastic

can't wait to see this later this year

Donny-...hopefully this will translate into TEAM ratings in franchise.....right now most teams are bunched in the 80s....i don't see that on Sundays Ian!

teams like the Rams this year should be down in the 60s.....Detroit in the 40s!

if you don't want to insult the casual gamer (and his team) put in a 'performance EQ' option

# 30 Hotlanta @ 02/09/09 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuJoiseySoulja
If things will be realistic and the weight will actually mean something, Chris Johnson and Darren Sproles break tackle will be even less to than what Earnest Graham has. Makes a lot of sense.
This comment to me is the deciding factor on deadly speed will truly be. This along with defensive pursuit, and OL/DL interaction or simply any blocking battle.

# 31 thudias @ 02/09/09 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
It is annoying searching for ratings of the player when the ratings aren't organized. For instance, for Peyton Manning, I have to scroll through all the stuff I don't care about "break tackle, route running etc" before I can even get to the throw power/accuracy at the end.

What you need to do is have the attributes we care about for the position players be shown first. For example, the first things I should see for running backs are speed, break tackle, agility, ball carrying, etc, and I shouldn't have to weed through all the stuff that doesn't matter to find it.

I am tired of having to scroll for 5 minutes because rating attributes are in the same order regardess of the player I choose. It worked on last gen because there weren't that many ratings. Now their are over fifty, and this is an absolute must already.
Good Point! I agree that this is a real issue.

# 32 raidersbball20 @ 02/09/09 07:53 PM
this sounds like it is going to revolutionize things. I am really excited for some more news

# 33 Nza @ 02/09/09 07:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
Actually this is a valid question. If you slow everyone down, but keep the fast players fast, that's gonna make them extremely fast. Having said that, I do agree Chris Henry should be fast as heck, but I don't wanna see him trucking too many people. That has been the problem in the past. You have a fast player, but he is over rated because he's doing things that he's not known for, like trucking people in Chris Henry's case. As long as Chris Henry is fast as heck and that's about it, then it should be close to accurate.
Here's the problem with Chris Henry the RB (I assume that's who you meant) in video game land. Henry is a fast footed, physically imposing powerful runner when he was given the ball in 2007 as a rookie, but he earned his spot on the inactive list this season for the Titans because he has the vision and patience of a mole on acid.

But how do you replicate this under human control in a game? We control vision and patience as a RB. On a CPU team Henry should spend most of his carries running into the backs of offensive linemen, but under human control, he should be a force because his major weakness is now at the mercy of the player.

# 34 blklightning @ 02/09/09 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Dayton
It is annoying searching for ratings of the player when the ratings aren't organized. For instance, for Peyton Manning, I have to scroll through all the stuff I don't care about "break tackle, route running etc" before I can even get to the throw power/accuracy at the end.

What you need to do is have the attributes we care about for the position players be shown first. For example, the first things I should see for running backs are speed, break tackle, agility, ball carrying, etc, and I shouldn't have to weed through all the stuff that doesn't matter to find it.

I am tired of having to scroll for 5 minutes because rating attributes are in the same order regardess of the player I choose. It worked on last gen because there weren't that many ratings. Now their are over fifty, and this is an absolute must already.
quoting this again because they need to do this for '10. no excuse why they can't.

# 35 splff3000 @ 02/09/09 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
Henry is a fast footed, physically imposing powerful runner when he was given the ball in 2007 as a rookie, but he earned his spot on the inactive list this season for the Titans because he has the vision and patience of a mole on acid.
huh? I'm pretty sure Henry was starting for the Titans at the end of the season. ???

# 36 frankrizzo380 @ 02/09/09 07:58 PM
sweet, this explains the last rosters they dropped, im sure they tried to implement this in those last rosters

# 37 XtremeDunkz @ 02/09/09 07:59 PM
Quote:
huh? I'm pretty sure Henry was starting for the Titans at the end of the season. ???

chris johnson......

# 38 Nza @ 02/09/09 08:01 PM
Quote:
Chris Henry? No, Chris Johnson was. Henry is the 2nd round 2007 pick "bust" that showed some promise as a rookie but has seen little action since he isn't good on special teams (remember that hit he took week 17 2007 returning against the Colts? If not, try searching youtube for "biggest hit ever" or something :P).

Henry is 233lb, runs a 4.40, looks like a freak physically. He's probably the best physical specimen at RB since Ricky Williams, except Ricky had more feel and vision in his dreadlocks than Henry has all up.

# 39 splff3000 @ 02/09/09 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremedunkz
chris johnson......
yeap, you're right!! egg on my face. Why was I typing Chris Henry???? Well, I meant Chris Johnson. Take everything I said about Chris Henry and replace it with Chris Johnson. lol

# 40 Ian_Cummings @ 02/09/09 08:02 PM
Great questions guys.

I'll defer to Donny on how he envisions us making sure that speed doesn't turn into the "all powerful" rating.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.