Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

2K Sports sent us the latest beta copy of Major League Baseball 2K9. As always, here are the meat and potato screenshots. We'll have the franchise screenshots up tomorrow.

Not allowed to post videos until tomorrow, but you can bet we'll have plenty to view over the weekend.

Major League Baseball 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view Major League Baseball 2K9 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/12/09 06:36 PM
How are people saying these screens and player models look great?

I think it looks too cartoony, some of the meters (confidence) look too arcady, and the player models have that same 2K look to them for the past few years with still a downgrade over 2K7.

How fat are Damon and Beckett's lower half? The game looks nothing like the early (touched up) shots they showed. Typical 2K marketing deception.

I am very unimpressed.

Just have to wait for vids I guess. The screens are so up and down BS it is annoying.

# 62 krazzed @ 02/12/09 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lived
My only complaint from the images is why did they take out those indicators above the fielders head when throwing. Those were sweet, now were back to the standard meter
I think he might be using classic controls. And now that I look at it, the angle doesn't really bother me, but the grass texture and the little diamond on the bottom really bother me. I think they should have the little silhouettes of the players running around the bases at least.

# 63 Blzer @ 02/12/09 06:40 PM
A lot of great things to see here. VC's presence is very obvious. I appreciate the many different batting camera angles, and the pitching ones, while very customizable, may not get us one that we can replicate a TV look to which is unfortunate.

I really like there's an influence slider for hits in the regular batting mode. I'm turning that bad boy way down.

So far this is still just a rental and The Show is still a purchase, but this game gives me great hope for this series' future.

If there is a downer, by screenshots alone it feels like a PC game. I have a feeling that videos will show us something different, like the trailers that gave the players a feeling of "depth."

We'll see where this takes us.

# 64 Stroehms @ 02/12/09 06:41 PM
^ look (*Beta). not final game play. I'm satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis

I think it looks too cartoony, some of the meters (confidence) look too arcady, and the player models have that same 2K look to them for the past few years with still a downgrade over 2K7.

How fat are Damon and Beckett's lower half? The game looks nothing like the early (touched up) shots they showed. Typical 2K marketing deception.

I am very unimpressed.

Just have to wait for vids I guess. The screens are so up and down BS it is annoying.

# 65 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/12/09 06:42 PM
Quote:

I think it looks too cartoony, some of the meters look to arcady, and the player models have that same 2K look to them for the past few years.

I am very unimpressed.

If you would take your blinders OFF, you would know these screens are from the OS Beta Copy taken by Steve of the game & not from 2k directly.

# 66 Shakedowncapo @ 02/12/09 06:42 PM
That yellow stickman looks tacky as hell...hahahaha.

# 67 The Bimmer @ 02/12/09 06:47 PM
There is no question that i will rent this game. I always thought Gary Thorne was a great announcer plus this game has alot of interesting things i would like to check out. The videos will be nice, but i want to get in a good doubleheader before i judge it.

# 68 CarryTheWeight @ 02/12/09 06:52 PM
Quote:
some of the meters (confidence) look too arcady
I'm lost...how do meters actually look arcadey? They're meters for God's sake...

# 69 SoxFan01605 @ 02/12/09 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
I'm lost...how do meters actually look arcadey? They're meters for God's sake...
I get what he means, I think. They seem to have this bubbled effect to them and take up too much of the screen. Many people here (myself included) like a clean screen as much as possible. Let the baseball itself be the focus, not the meters.

Not saying it's the end of the world, but I could see where it would bother people.

# 70 jeffy777 @ 02/12/09 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
I get what he means, I think. They seem to have this bubbled effect to them and take up too much of the screen. Many people here (myself included) like a clean screen as much as possible. Let the baseball itself be the focus, not the meters.

Not saying it's the end of the world, but I could see where it would bother people.
I remember reading in one of the articles that you can hide those meters, so that will be a good option if that is indeed true.

# 71 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/12/09 06:58 PM
Quote:
CTW, do you expect any less.. These types of post are only found when a new thread is created on new info for this game. Kill others enthusiasm by nit-picking when ever possible

# 72 Blzer @ 02/12/09 06:59 PM
This is really small, but I didn't see any options to turn off the meter (visually) or to turn off the names under the players.

# 73 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/12/09 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfnjoe96
If you would take your blinders OFF, you would know these screens are from the OS Beta Copy taken by Steve of the game & not from 2k directly.
Just because it says "Beta" doesnt mean it gets a "get out of jail free card". Take your blinders OFF, and stop acting like things cant be critiqued.

Quote:
CTW, do you expect any less.. These types of post are only found when a new thread is created on new info for this game. Kill others enthusiasm by nit-picking when ever possible

Yeah, that is it.

Blame 2K and their doctored early shots, then these come out and the game is NIGHT AND DAY different in terms of graphics. Sorry if I expect honest things, and not to have the wool, once again, pulled over my eyes.

As far as arcady, sorry if I think the confidence meters look like a racing game or some volt-meter on some old nuclear sub. That is my opinion.

But since I dont drink the kool-aid, must be some "alterior motive".

Most on here know me as wanting this to succeed. I am a baseball fan, even before a Red Sox fan. Take the blinders off for one minute, and understand the world does not always see through the same rose tinted glasses.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that.

# 74 Artman22 @ 02/12/09 07:11 PM
Quote:
This is the same thing i said to myself. Theres nothing wrong with the meters and they remind me of MVP. Hopefully they will not be animation based like the other game.

# 75 SoxFan01605 @ 02/12/09 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
I remember reading in one of the articles that you can hide those meters, so that will be a good option if that is indeed true.
I hope so. didn't see any in the screen, but we'll see.

Quote:
Come on bud, it's as legit a gripe as anything else. HALF THE SCREEN was taken up with those clunky meters...lol. Again, not the end of the world, but it's a bit surprising you would begrudge someone their opinion on that.

There is plenty to like about what OS showed, but that doesn't mean we all have to like everything about the game. No offense, but the way your responses sway, I would think you react more on emotion than rationale. Not saying that's definitely the case, mind you, but it does come across that way at times.

# 76 mwjr @ 02/12/09 07:15 PM
OK, those are some good looking shots.

As a child of 41 years *ahem* I especially like the fact that I might be able to finally read the menus.

# 77 duke776 @ 02/12/09 07:16 PM
I want to thank Steve for taking the time to take all of these pictures!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
That yellow stickman looks tacky as hell...hahahaha.
Oh, I totally agree. I seriously laughed when I saw it, it's no big deal but it looks so funny/weird.

While the graphics aren't top notch, personally I'll be able to live with them(even though I do hope they were better) becasue I still play the show on the ps2 so I don't NEED amazing graphics even though I want them. This game is still a rent, but I could possibly have 2 awesome games this year and I'm excited about that because I like to change it up from time to time.

# 78 bigfnjoe96 @ 02/12/09 07:19 PM
Quote:
Just because it says "Beta" doesnt mean it gets a "get out of jail free card". Take your blinders OFF, and stop acting like things cant be critiqued.

Yeah, that is it.

Blame 2K and their doctored early shots, then these come out and the game is NIGHT AND DAY different in terms of graphics. Sorry if I expect honest things, and not to have the wool, once again, pulled over my eyes.

As far as arcady, sorry if I think the confidence meters look like a racing game or some volt-meter on some old nuclear sub. That is my opinion.

But since I dont drink the kool-aid, must be some "alterior motive".

Most on here know me as wanting this to succeed. I am a baseball fan, even before a Red Sox fan. Take the blinders off for one minute, and understand the world does not always see through the same rose tinted glasses.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Lets hope it doesnt come to that.
Dude please stop with the "Doctored Shots". All developers doctor screen shots.

Secondly every post you've made has been nothing but negative, then you try & followed it up with I want the game to succeed.

We all know what flavored kool-aid your drinking & it's NOT the flavor this game is providing...

# 79 mwjr @ 02/12/09 07:21 PM
One thing that stood out: the way the catcher's holding his mitt in the screen shots of the pitcher view. He's got it right in front of his place, like he's playing peek-a-boo with the pitcher.

# 80 Blzer @ 02/12/09 07:22 PM
Quote:
I'm not seeing much difference between these meters and the pitching meter in The Show.

As for things being critiqued, I learned that I can't even offer constructive criticism in The Show forum without the fanboyists jumping on me. I mean for goodness sakes, I'm buying the game... I'm just trying to find ways for next year's game to be even better.

I'm not saying that it's you, I'm just saying that they exist, and it's much worse than here. It could be because the developers are floating around there all of the time and they're defending them, I'm not sure.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.