Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

OK, here is the very first gameplay video from Major League Baseball 2K9. Pay no attention to my sliding skills (or lack thereof), while trying to swipe second... Pushed the wrong analog stick, the wrong way...

Anyways, the bottom of the 1st will be posted in the morning, along with some franchise screenshots. We'll have plenty of videos to come tonight and over the weekend as well. Remember to keep conversation on topic, please.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 PVarck31 @ 02/13/09 03:09 AM
I hate the bat sounds as well, hardly a game killer though.

# 42 Artman22 @ 02/13/09 03:25 AM
I also noticed the fields are bigger in 2k9. 2k6-2k8 the outfield looked small. The grass looks like grass unlike 2k8 green paint on the ground. I want to see some night games as well. Hopefully some yankee videos

# 43 bcruise @ 02/13/09 03:25 AM
I'm very impressed by the real-time virtual director stuff - if Steve had been batting from the pitcher cam it would have been tough to distinguish from a real broadcast with the cuts and everything. This looks like something I could just sit and watch and it would seem like I was watching it on TV.

Really impressed by the commentary too. But like Blzer, I wonder how long it can go before repeating. Still WAY better than the last few years - Thorne does a great job.

Nice slide on that steal attempt Steve. (sorry, had to say it)

# 44 Blzer @ 02/13/09 03:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
I also noticed the fields are bigger in 2k9. 2k6-2k8 the outfield looked small. The grass looks like grass unlike 2k8 green paint on the ground. I want to see some night games as well. Hopefully some yankee videos
Stadiums are bigger; fields are the same.

# 45 Bahnzo @ 02/13/09 03:44 AM
I allowed the video to download completely, and there are certainly some hiccups in there. Whether they are a factor of encoding, we'll need Steve to say.

If you look at the throw back into second on the double, there's a definite drop in frames as the ball comes in. Also on the single (Schumaker's?) into center, as the ball is traveling into center and the camera pans and follows it, there is again a drop in frames. If you click back and rewatch these a couple times, they are noticeable. I'm hoping this is due to a beta build of the game and this is the optimization that 2K was talking about and it will be gone with the release.

Also, there is some wierdness during batting...I noticed it most during the Pujols at bat....with the ball having a strange motion to it after it's pitched. Looks like the ball's transition from the pitcher's hand to it's flight has some problems and needs smoothed out.

Again, let's hope these can be fixed in the final release.

And...if the sound of the bat is your biggest complaint with this game, then you should be pretty happy with it I think......

# 46 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 04:17 AM
I think the good far outweighs the bad here:

- The overall graphics look much better than 2K8

- The grass, crowd, etc. is definitely improved over last year. Wrigley looked terrible in 2K8.

- The new camera angles between plays are nice, providing more of a broadcast feel for sure

- Real Time stuff is noticeable and nice.

- Commentary is great

- Strike zone seems much more accurate this year

- Hit variety seems good

I did notice a some framerate glitches, but keep in mind this is a BETA build and surely 2K has been busy optimizing the game since the time of this build. Also the video encoding could have something to do with it as well.

# 47 scoobywho @ 02/13/09 04:43 AM
Ohh God another year another disapointment.. 2k is only good at basketball (WHICH I LOVE NBA2K9) Dosnt matter what they do... MLB the Show 09 Team is just on point.. THEY HAVE BASEBALL ON LOCK DOWN there will never come a day when 2K baseball will be rated better than THE SHOW...SH!T Let alone play better than the show...... Impossible.... if so.... it would be a lie cause That Team @ Sony are years ahead in the GAMPLAY department.. this game still plays like PS2 and Xbox.. dosnt seem next gen at all.... the only thing 2K can compete with is some feature and Presentation that's it ... THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> LMAO<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

# 48 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 04:48 AM
After watching it a 2nd time, I noticed that it didn't glitch in spots where it did the first time. Flash players are known for hiccuping, especially if you have other stuff running in the background on your PC.

So that makes me feel better about the actual game (plus it's an early build), so we'll see what March brings. I'm optimistic for sure

# 49 bonannogiovanni @ 02/13/09 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stateprop
No cause i really dont care about the bat sound but if it affect my gameplay which it hasnt since i play 2k baseball. its at the bottom on my list of concerns.

The only thing i dont like so far is the diamond icon with the horrible baserunner icon on it. Why they have to touch it was fine. Now that can affect my gameplay when im caught trying to steal or baserunning. That wasnt broken why they touch it.
I think they had to touch it by hook or by crook. If you're seeing a smoother framerate this year and better graphics, that's because there are no more baserunning animations superimposed.

By the way, did you notice how real is the ivy?

# 50 SeaNNyT @ 02/13/09 05:57 AM
The throwing animations look really awful on that double play.

# 51 jeffy777 @ 02/13/09 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
-That d*mn organ...didn't like it before and don't like it now...lol. I wish they would at the very least, dial that down a bit.
If you've ever been to Wrigley, the organ is a mainstay there, so it would seem weird if they didn't have it in the game. But yeah, it's not that way at every MLB ballpark. So it would be nice if 2K9 has the organ for the ballparks that actually use it, and then leave it out for those that don't.

# 52 StatMan79 @ 02/13/09 06:03 AM
I'm digging it so far - I'll be curious to hear Steve's thoughts on how it played.

Presentation is very nice and Wrigley looked really nice.

# 53 The Bimmer @ 02/13/09 06:54 AM
Well, i agree with what someone else said, maybe it all comes together in a few years. I have 2k9 hockey and VC did a great job getting that sport moving in the right direction. Overall i thought the 2 videos were o.k., but the slight hicups, bat sounds, below average graphics, scoreboard not working (out of town scores), progressive lighting?, indicates at least one more year for me before i would invest in this game.

# 54 King Gro23 @ 02/13/09 07:12 AM
The whole Pujols and jerking and Snapping into the animation quickly and rough. Look at after he swings on the 2nd pitch and it goes to an outfield veiw. He Naturally just goes into his rutine all smooth slow and calm. Also He is skipping something by pressing A because you can do it on NBA 2k9 skip little parts like cuts and substitutions, But VC baseball just skips to make everyone and the ready pitch animation so therefore it jerks to it.

# 55 Pirate @ 02/13/09 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Anyone else notice that the transition from the walk-in to the batting stance is missing a few frames? It seems that Pujols and Ankiel pull their bats up into their stances too quickly.
This was my biggest issue. The uniforms are horrible and the faces are lacking. If you have the PC version, let's all hope we can fix this.

# 56 brunnoce @ 02/13/09 07:48 AM
i hope they didnt dicth the baggy style uniforms we had in 2k8 and 2k7.. cause those definatly dont look good to me

# 57 SoxFan01605 @ 02/13/09 07:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunnoce
i hope they didnt dicth the baggy style uniforms we had in 2k8 and 2k7.. cause those definatly dont look good to me
I agree...I liked 2K's baggies a lot the last couple years.

# 58 DaveDQ @ 02/13/09 08:04 AM
Visual Concepts is written all over this game. There are some issues, don't get me wrong, but the style and presentations is vintage VC. From commentary to the sleek camera angles and cuts, this game looks great in action.

Two things I'm concerned about. The slow motion animation where a fielder approaches the ball may still be there. It happened last year, especially with outfielders. In this video, the pitcher runs to position after a foul ball and while the rest of the team is normal time, he's sort of in slow motion. I hope that's not in the fielding. The other thing is the transition of animations. I didn't have problems with the video feed running choppy, but there are some jerk animations going on. It reminds me of early next-gen NBA 2K. In fact, some of that is still in NBA 2K. I'm not too concerned, but it's there.

I'd like to see cases where there is scoring. I think we'll get variance in crowd and atmosphere. How about the commentary though? It's as if Thorne is a video commentator first and the real thing second.

Overall, you can't deny that VC has turned this game around in a positive direction. That's all I wanted to see this year. This is NFL 2K4.

# 59 texbuk84 @ 02/13/09 08:10 AM
the game is so awesome. i just love it, love it, love it.

# 60 BigH2k6 @ 02/13/09 08:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
If you've ever been to Wrigley, the organ is a mainstay there, so it would seem weird if they didn't have it in the game. But yeah, it's not that way at every MLB ballpark. So it would be nice if 2K9 has the organ for the ballparks that actually use it, and then leave it out for those that don't.
Depending on the custom soundtracks, that may be fixable through that.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.