Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Just posted another Major League Baseball 2K9 video. This one features the rare triple play, in the All Star game.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 johnnyg713 @ 02/15/09 09:39 AM
I love the commentary and all but is it just me but where is the excitement? I mean turning a triple play is one of the most outstanding plays in sports and the commentary sounded like it was a routine play. Ive seen one vid where a player tags at third and the outfielder makes the throw to the plate and the commentary was the least bit excited about the play.

# 22 sirwoodz @ 02/15/09 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
I love the commentary and all but is it just me but where is the excitement? I mean turning a triple play is one of the most outstanding plays in sports and the commentary sounded like it was a routine play. Ive seen one vid where a player tags at third and the outfielder makes the throw to the plate and the commentary was the least bit excited about the play.
should they have squealed like little school girls?

# 23 Eddie1967 @ 02/15/09 10:51 AM
Man oh man, this game is going to be so much fun. I don't think it's too early to say that it has the best presentation in any game period. Gary Thorne is outstanding, the crowd is into it. 2k8 crowds were almost dead. The shadows on the field, the amazing view, the animations, I want this game now.

# 24 SBartlett @ 02/15/09 11:03 AM
So is it safe to say the dynamic lighting isn't at the level of MLB2k7? It doesn't look like it is to me.

This game looks like it can have some great things going on. Ultimately tho, this is 2009 and we are just getting a game the mimics the fielding and hitting systems of MVP05 and we still aren't sure if they will be as good as advertised.

We'll see I hope it lives up to some expectations.

# 25 BadassBookworm @ 02/15/09 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwoodz
should they have squealed like little school girls?
I don't think you understand his point. One of the big improvements of 2K's game is the presentation. A large component of presentation is crowd reactions. Personally, it has been a long time coming. The developers have said that crowds react realistically (get louder during clutch situations, appropriate reactions to homeruns and big hits, etc.) and if we are to believe that, then it would only make sense that we would see more than lukewarm applause for a TRIPLE PLAY.

Watching the videos, this is probably my main gripe with what I've seen. The crowds LOOK wonderful, but I don't feel I've heard appropriate reactions to homeruns and big plays.

Sorry. I see he was talking about the commentary, but my point still stands. Commentary and crowds need more excitement when it's called for.

# 26 sirwoodz @ 02/15/09 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadassBookworm
I don't think you understand his point. One of the big improvements of 2K's game is the presentation. A large component of presentation is crowd reactions. Personally, it has been a long time coming. The developers have said that crowds react realistically (get louder during clutch situations, appropriate reactions to homeruns and big hits, etc.) and if we are to believe that, then it would only make sense that we would see more than lukewarm applause for a TRIPLE PLAY.

Watching the videos, this is probably my main gripe with what I've seen. The crowds LOOK wonderful, but I don't feel I've heard appropriate reactions to homeruns and big plays.
- are we watching the same clip? the crowd got a little louder with applause, and the commentary flowed RIGHT WITH the triple play as it was happening, it didn't even skip a beat, and you can even hear his voice go up as he said "a triple play!!"

so again...what EXACTLY were you hoping to hear? were you wanting to hear his voice crack from excitement? do you want to hear the commentators clap? I seriously would like to know.

# 27 Eddie1967 @ 02/15/09 11:35 AM
Quote:
- are we watching the same clip? the crowd got a little louder with applause, and the commentary flowed RIGHT WITH the triple play as it was happening, it didn't even skip a beat, and you can even hear his voice go up as he said "a triple play!!"

so again...what EXACTLY were you hoping to hear? were you wanting to hear his voice crack from excitement? do you want to hear the commentators clap? I seriously would like to know.
I agree, the crowds sounds are much improved compared to last year. They got louder as the video went on. No game is perfect but the atmosphere in this game looks and sounds really good.

# 28 BadassBookworm @ 02/15/09 11:48 AM
Quote:

I should clarify. I haven't seen this clip yet (I'm doing this from work...:shhh. I was just using his example to make my point that crowd reactions aren't quite as good as they could be and if his observation on the commentary is accurate, then I agree.

I feel that NHL 09 has gotten this right. When you score a goal at home, there is a booming crascendo from the stands, the goal horn goes off and the players throw their arms in the air. Scoring in that game never stops being exciting .

I feel, from what I've seen, the game just isn't quite there yet. Then again, I'm watching it on and old computer with really crappy sound so I could be way off base.

# 29 brendanrfoley @ 02/15/09 11:53 AM
In all the videos, I see more balls are getting pulled by hitter on both sides of the plate. I think the slower pitch speeds have something to do with it.

I know many people don't like the appearance of the ball "floating" toward home. But it has opened up a players' time to decide to swing or not swing.

High Heat had very "floaty" pitches. But while unrealistic in itself, it allowed for realistic results.

# 30 sirwoodz @ 02/15/09 11:54 AM
Quote:
I should clarify. I haven't seen this clip yet (I'm doing this from work...:shhh. I was just using his example to make my point that crowd reactions aren't quite as good as they could be and if his observation on the commentary is accurate, then I agree.

I feel that NHL 09 has gotten this right. When you score a goal at home, there is a booming crascendo from the stands, the goal horn goes off and the players throw their arms in the air. Scoring in that game never stops being exciting .

I feel, from what I've seen, the game just isn't quite there yet. Then again, I'm watching it on and old computer with really crappy sound so I could be way off base.
- well, you are comparing baseball to hockey for some odd reason...hockey, soccer, and football are sports where scoring is a monumental feat, so they tend to get a little more excited, especially the commentators - that is the culture of these sports.

that's like comparing the crowd/announce reaction to a hole in one in tiger woods to getting a goal in FIFA 09...the comparison makes very little sense.

# 31 sirwoodz @ 02/15/09 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanrfoley
In all the videos, I see more balls are getting pulled by hitter on both sides of the plate. I think the slower pitch speeds have something to do with it.
- on other forums, people are complaining about all of the balls being hit up the middle...remember that we are watching VIDEOS, when the actual game is released, you will more than likely see a variety of hits...

# 32 Eddie1967 @ 02/15/09 12:57 PM
I beg to differ. When Chipper Jones get's that single the crowd definitely gets louder. Almost like they were going for the national league. Was it being played in a national league stadium? Could be a huge factor. If you notice when the triple play was made the crowd moaned and groaned on each out. Sounds to me like the crowd sounds were appropriate for what was happening. Look at it again and you will see what I'm talking about. In my mind if your rooting for a particular league why would you be happy about an out no matter how spectacular.

# 33 JBucc @ 02/15/09 01:02 PM
I agree with the crowd being a little tame for the situation. It wasn't one of those triple plays you don't even realize were triple plays and have to have explained to you, it was a classic 5-4-3 triple play that you can see coming.

I felt similarly in some of the other vids with homers.

^that's a good point about the NL crowd though

# 34 BadassBookworm @ 02/15/09 01:09 PM
Quote:
- well, you are comparing baseball to hockey for some odd reason...hockey, soccer, and football are sports where scoring is a monumental feat, so they tend to get a little more excited, especially the commentators - that is the culture of these sports.

that's like comparing the crowd/announce reaction to a hole in one in tiger woods to getting a goal in FIFA 09...the comparison makes very little sense.
I'm not "comparing baseball to hockey". If I said something like "the batter's hockey stick looked too round in those videos. And I don't get why the second baseman doesn't just check the runner. Please fix!" you would have a more valid point. All I'm saying is that the crowd reactions should match the on-field play regardless of what sport it is.

And it is a more "monumental feat" to hit a grand slam in baseball than to score a goal in hockey, so by your logic, the crowd reactions should be louder and more exciting in a grand slam situation. And they aren't. That's not to say they don't cheer and stand during said situation, but it should be a bit more of a mass "roar" when it happens. I just didn't see that.

# 35 Eddie1967 @ 02/15/09 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
I agree with the crowd being a little tame for the situation. It wasn't one of those triple plays you don't even realize were triple plays and have to have explained to you, it was a classic 5-4-3 triple play that you can see coming.

I felt similarly in some of the other vids with homers.
But see that's the thing, was the team that hit the home run on the road or at home. That makes a huge difference. I believe the Ortiz home run was at Yankee stadium and you know the red sox are getting no cheers there. I don't think people are really looking at all of the details of these videos. If they did these complaints would go away.

# 36 JBucc @ 02/15/09 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1967
But see that's the thing, was the team that hit the home run on the road or at home. That makes a huge difference. I believe the Ortiz home run was at Yankee stadium and you know the red sox are getting no cheers there. I don't think people are really looking at all of the details of these videos. If they did these complaints would go away.
Yeah I think you're right now. They gave a nice cheer at Chipper's hit.

# 37 Eddie1967 @ 02/15/09 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBucc
Yeah I think you're right now. They gave a nice cheer at Chipper's hit.
And the game was being played in busch stadium I believe. This game looks and sounds really good.

# 38 BadassBookworm @ 02/15/09 01:20 PM
Quote:
Just wanted to say that none of my posts are meant to be complaining. I'm not. These are just observations and wanted to see if anyone else noticed or cared. I'm very excited for this year's game since I haven't played decent video game baseball since MVP 05.

# 39 Eddie1967 @ 02/15/09 01:23 PM
Quote:
Just wanted to say that none of my posts are meant to be complaining. I'm not. These are just observations and wanted to see if anyone else noticed or cared. I'm very excited for this year's game since I haven't played decent video game baseball since MVP 05.
I didn't mean complaining in a negative sort of way. I'll change that word to observation or comments. My bad. If you want to hear some good crowd noise, check out the video Steve just posted with the Devil Rays and Phillies. Check out the double play early in the vid and tell me the crowd isn't on point and the last run scored near the end of the video. The game is in Philly and the crowd noise is damn near perfect for each situation.

# 40 BadassBookworm @ 02/15/09 01:46 PM
Quote:
I didn't mean complaining in a negative sort of way. I'll change that word to observation or comments. My bad. If you want to hear some good crowd noise, check out the video Steve just posted with the Devil Rays and Phillies. Check out the double play early in the vid and tell me the crowd isn't on point.
I will definitely do that when I get home. The vids have been fantastic and I'm glad 2k is actually releasing them before the game comes out this year. I'm not playing semantics with you about the complaining thing, but I like to think that the points I'm making are different than the "the [insert player] photo has the wrong hat", "the grass is a darker green at Miller Park", "there are 13 pinstripes on a Yankee's away uniform not 12!" kind of posts because I'm really becoming irritated with those.

I've been a lurker on here for a long time and I've been trying to post more. Then I can scream at you guys instead of the computer screen.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.