Home
Madden 2010 News Post

Check out the latest Madden NFL 10 blog, for the scoop.

Quote:
"Hey Madden fans, we’re back again with another (quick) update for Madden NFL 10. After talking about technology and philosophy for the past few weeks, we thought it was a good idea to actually show you a new feature this week. Now being that it’s so early in the year, we obviously can’t show big grandiose new features, so we wanted to show something that is in the game that came directly from community feedback and wishlists. It’s been a long time coming for this one...I’m stoked that we were finally able to get this in."

Game: Madden NFL 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 76 - View All
Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 youALREADYknow @ 02/16/09 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nza
What makes a 'solo' tackle anyway? In real life, I assume a solo is credited only when the defender does it all himself. If he starts the tackle and another defender joins in, are both credited an assist? or does the first guy get a solo, and the next guy an assist?
Technically, both scenarios exist in the NFL.

The first guy gets the solo tackle and the second gets the assist if the second guy just supported the takedown after the first defender began the tackle.

Both players are usually given an assist if they make contact simultaneously with the player.

I'll be interested in seeing how EA handles it and more importantly whether they actually tune their sim engine to credit the appropriate amounts of solo and assisted tackles per game in franchise mode.

# 42 Nza @ 02/16/09 06:44 PM
Sounds messy, I don't really envy the stat guys in real life recording this stuff. Well, I guess it might be a pretty cool job a few months of each year.

I don't really expect Madden 10 to get that technical, but it should have solo tackles for single take downs, and at least grant 1 solo and 1 assist per gang tackle.

This should be easy, because it's basically exactly like how 09 works, but instead of the 'odd man out' in any given tackle who used to get credited with nothing, he gets 1 assist. The exact same logic used in 09 for who gets the tackle would suffice for solo credits. Then add them up on the stat screens for total. Wholla, done.

# 43 CM Hooe @ 02/16/09 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
thanks i didn't know, so theoretically even 1/3 of a sack would be possible?
The stats people don't go down that far... if more than two players are tackling the QB I think they credit half sacks to the first two defenders to touch him. Could be wrong, however, but 1/2 sacks is definitely the limit for this.

# 44 bang911 @ 02/16/09 07:05 PM
This second update is great to hear. I am sure it's implementation to gameplay will improve things. Keep the good updates coming.

# 45 Bodizzy @ 02/16/09 07:50 PM
I think the addition of assisted tackles and half-sacks are awesome, and indicate a possible attention to detail that could salvage this franchise. Don't get me wrong, there still need to be big, broad brush strokes put on this game, but the accents and tweaks are necessary as well. Bottom line, small treats like these bode well for the vision behind the design. I'm excited.

# 46 countryboy @ 02/16/09 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanks
i think 2k5 had these "features"
yeah and?

# 47 Palo20 @ 02/16/09 08:11 PM
So can we confirm that there will be Total, Solo, and Assisted Tackles listed?

# 48 J-Unit40 @ 02/16/09 08:11 PM
I like it. I hope this is in NCAA as well. Thanks for putting in a "little thing" that actually adds up to a lot if other "little things" are include.

# 49 kiddlex @ 02/16/09 08:28 PM
Some might consider upgrades like these trivial but at the end of the day all the small things are what add greater depth in sports games. Keep up the great work Ian and company. Rome was not built in a day....

# 50 Hawaii_Stars @ 02/16/09 08:45 PM
I am glad they finally added this to the stats. Hopefully it works to perfection.

# 51 TheSaint92 @ 02/16/09 09:07 PM
Wow thats great to hear! I never thought this would happen.

# 52 cam21224 @ 02/17/09 01:28 AM
i guess with the license set to expire soon EA is going to make a good strong game to build even more bigger down the line...finally my ea boys are getting it right this year and shout outs to the new madden team you guys have saved the franchise already with this awesome early work

# 53 Exonerated @ 02/17/09 06:26 AM
lol freeney and mathis on 2.5 sacks after 3 or 4 games lol.

They should have 20 sacks between them lol! Poor stat making ha.

They're 95 and 96 in madden 09 last update.

# 54 ewto16 @ 02/17/09 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam21224
i guess with the license set to expire soon EA is going to make a good strong game to build even more bigger down the line...finally my ea boys are getting it right this year and shout outs to the new madden team you guys have saved the franchise already with this awesome early work
By soon, you mean 2012?

# 55 mwjr @ 02/17/09 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAKE4742
Exactly! Good to see EA do it, too, TBH! There's nothing wrong...at all, with EA (finally) doing what's right. Great job, EA!!!!!!
You're right. There's nothing wrong with it, and kudos to EA for finally listening to its customers. (It's frustrating that they ignored us all of these years.)

It's a little amusing, however, that people are getting so excited about this as if it were a new concept.

Like I said: for me it's going to boil down to whether or not there's a franchise mode in the game.

# 56 Matrix-Monkey @ 02/17/09 10:06 AM
Hmmm. Any chance they are going to add other stat categories? Head Coach had stat categories like thrown at % and completed against %, big hits, missed tackles, etc.

The more stats the better =].

# 57 kcarr @ 02/17/09 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
lol freeney and mathis on 2.5 sacks after 3 or 4 games lol.

They should have 20 sacks between them lol! Poor stat making ha.

They're 95 and 96 in madden 09 last update.
Yeah, they should have at least 10 sacks apeice in 3 or 4 games every time, right. Seeing as they both get like 40 per season that makes a lot of sense... oh wait. On here they actually had 3.5, freeney had 2.5 and mathis had 1. First 3 games last year mathis had 1, freeney had 2, pretty close to 3. In games 7, 8, and 9 for isntance they totaled 0 between them. for them to not have a bunch of sacks over a 3 or 4 game period isn't that astonishing as long as they also have stretches where they do get sacks.

For instance mathis had 3 straight games with 2 or 2.5 sacks and one other time where within 2 games he had 4. in the other 8 games he played he totalled 1. freeney was a little more consistant but still had 4 of them in 2 games and had 3 straight without any.

What I am getting at is players shouldn't play the same every game. they need to have hot and cold streaks

# 58 cowboysfan440 @ 02/17/09 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthreemafia
This is good, but I really hope EA isnt just focused on fixing all these little things.

Not trying to be unappreciative, but for the who ratings system thing, I really hope its just done well and progressision is better.

And while half sacks and assists are cool, Id rather see more accurate stats for position. Im sick of seeing 4-3 LBS and 3-4 DEs with 12+ sacks every year. 3-4 OLBs and 4-3 DEs should more often than not have the bulk of the sacks.

Sorry to veer off topic, but you get the point.
yes your right that needs to be fixed when i play franchise with my cowboys sometimes i switch to the 4-3 and demarcus ware gets a ton more sacks when i do that than he does in the regular 3-4 that ends up being the main reason why i switch

# 59 rainesdaddy @ 02/17/09 11:38 AM
the most important detail to me is the fact that they are listening, if not to everything and least some. no its not a huge deal to have assists and half sacks, the bigger deal is that ian & co. are listening. my concern is that, some not all, are asking for things, having them implement the request and then complain about it(human nature i guess). after a while getting what you ask for and still not being satisfied, can cause us not to be heard again. I see the kinda effort we've never seen before, to help make it feel more like OUR game. i know some want to see bigger things and feautures but for the millionth time nothing big this early. granted, i dont expect everything to be in this time, but to have the interaction is incredible(bill gates hasnt asked me anything). i love that we have assists and halfs, thank you and do what you can my friend.

# 60 bgizle @ 02/17/09 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longshanks
that screenshot was kinda awkward because it didn't show total tackles..
Yea, I'm hoping they're still foolin around with the menu/stats/etc.

Though I'm happy this is finally in the game, I don't think we should be going nuts. Half sacks have been in the NFL for around 25 years, and it's finally in the game.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.