Home
News Post

Here are the patch release notes.

Exploit fixes:

-Prevent players from entering games with attributes that are raised beyond the level they can reach with the card they are entitled to have. Players who have elevated their attributes this way should reset their character by changing the type and reassigning their points.
-Limit the size of human goalies in OTP/EASHL games to 6'4" (NOTE: it will still allow them to be set larger, but the actual height in game will not go above the new limit).
-Fixed some problems that could cause the game to hang or go out of sync when pausing.
- Prevent use of LB to get up instantly after being knocked over.
-Reduce accuracy of shooting while using vision control to skate backwards.
-Prevent high, accurate slap shots from in close to the net.

Other changes:

-Reduced the ease of beating the goalie on the short side.
-Decrease the tendency of the goalies to use a desperation save unnecessarily.
-Strict calling of interference, though you can still clear players directly in front of the net without getting called for interference.
-Added stick lift to Classic controls using LB+X(XBox) /L1+Square(PS3). It is also on R3 (press Right Stick).
-Fixed shot targeting using the Always Up control when skating down ice.
-Added new NHL rule to locate face- offs in the attacking zone to start a powerplay.
- Prevent CPU players from getting delay of game penalties frequently while clearing the puck from their zone.
- Prevent puck from being poke checked away from the goalie when he has it covered under his glove.
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the last man back, holding RT(Xbox)/R2(PS3)
-Reduced the amount of time it takes to get control of the goalie, holding LB+A(Xbox)/L1+X(PS3)
-Reduce the range of heights on randomly generated CPU players, including goalies.
-Eliminate the ability to accelerate and maintain high speed while stick lifting.
-More penalties for high sticking when stick lifts are done from behind the opponent.
-Made the colours of the OTP/EASHL indicators more distinct (yellow and orange).
-Made face-off outcomes slightly more random and slightly less dependent on attributes.
-Added assistance to prevent one-timer and shot attempts from leading to accidental hits and interference penalties.
-Goalie tuning to increase goal-scoring a bit to compensate for taking away the easy short-side high goals.
-Improve hit stat tracking to not count all of the small bumps in front of the net.
-Increased injuries caused by CPU teams.
-Prevent puck from being launched with very high speed following a hit.
-AI tuning for superstar. The Aggression slider now affects how intense the CPU team is on that difficulty level.

(http://forums.ea.com/mboards/thread....55804&#4755804)

NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view NHL 09 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NHL 09Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 47 - View All
NHL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 yankeesgiants @ 02/21/09 10:46 AM
For some reason I cant download the patch for my ps3. When the screen pops up I hit Ok it starts to download and then the system beeps 3 times and restarts. anybody else have this problem?

# 62 koebsual @ 02/21/09 11:11 AM
I had the same thing happen to me for about an hr or so. It would start downloading and get to 6 or 7% then just stop? It just worked all of a sudden? VERY frustrating!

# 63 mroseland @ 02/21/09 12:40 PM
Yeah, just keep trying, it happened to me as well. Then when I did get it installed the game locked up on the first run. No problems since.

# 64 yankeesgiants @ 02/21/09 06:59 PM
It finally worked for me, thanks guys

# 65 Solid-Bri @ 02/22/09 02:55 AM
Played a few online matches and I must say, I'm very pleased with the patch. The increased number of penalties were annoying at first, because I was so accustomed to being able to just hack away at my opponent with my stick and freely body check people who aren't in possession of the puck. But once you get used to the changes, you realize that this patch makes the game much better. It forces you to play more responsibly, which makes for a more authentic experience.

In addition to the penalties, I also definitely noticed that goalies do a better job of preventing cheap goals around the net, like wrap-arounds and little exploits like that.

The game just plays more realistically now. It is more fun to play too, because you can actually skate up the ice without having to worry about getting smacked around by your opponent's stick. There's more freedom to skate, more opportunities to be creative, more scoring chances, etc.

Thanks for doing this EA! You already had the best sports game on the market, so it's very commendable for you to go the extra mile and improve what was already an incredible game.

I have only one complaint... Lack of Dualshock 3 compatibility. But it's probably too late to implement that. Hopefully it'll appear in NHL '10 at least.

Thanks again EA!

# 66 Jgainsey @ 02/22/09 11:19 AM
Ok, I am lovin this patch. The cheesers online have been rendered almost completely powerless. I've played like 12 or so versus game online so far and I've only lost once, and it was in a shoot out. And the guy that beat me was the only guy who came close to trying to play a realistic game of hockey.

It's a thing of beauty to see all of these penalties being called on these guys. My possesion time is through the roof, lol. The best game I played was my last one where the guy tried to take about 95% of his shots by dangling around the net and going for wrap arounds. He must've attempted like 30 of these. I ended up beating him 3-0 with 2 of the goals coming via the powerplay. It was like the dude was in complete denial over his once reliable go to chese move. And the more frustrated he got the more penalties he took. It was great. I'm extremely impressed with the patch and really hope EA keeps heading in this direction for the gameplay of NHL 10.

# 67 gator3guy @ 02/22/09 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gator3guy

Is it possible to download the patch from my computer, copy the file onto my flash drive and upload it to my ps3? I'm at school and don't get internet access to my ps3. Any help would be much appreciated.
Anyone know>???

# 68 akula @ 02/22/09 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LP
Just out of curiosity, how do I trigger the standing shot block animation?
it's automatic, the player decides to do it if the situation calls for it

# 69 longranger @ 02/22/09 09:25 PM
just this patch just basically clean up online play, or is it worth downloading for just playing seasons or dynasties?

www.sportstalk4us.blogspot.com

# 70 phillyfan23 @ 02/23/09 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by longranger
just this patch just basically clean up online play, or is it worth downloading for just playing seasons or dynasties?

www.sportstalk4us.blogspot.com
this patch does help a lot for the online play but it also makes a significant difference in offine play.

The cpu plays a better offensive game (more cycle, less shot crazy and they're more dangerous due to it)

They play a better defensive game too.....they aren't interfering with your players and play positional D. Makes playing much more fun

Goalies are tuned as well.

this patch really does the job for offline play. I even re-purchased the game and it was the best decision I made for a sports game this year.

# 71 DXZeke @ 02/23/09 05:46 AM
Redshirt,

Tell the guys at EA Canada "THANK YOU!!!" about a dozen times.

It was great that you guys did the first patch, but it also made scoring for me very hard to do. It turned me off from the game. Even sliders didn't really help things.

After getting the patch 2 nights ago, I'm able to score again from all sorts of places! I'm taking THE SAME shots I did before, but a realistic amount of them are falling in now. The game is FUN again, but also the scoring isn't overdone either. It's pretty damn good now!

From a guy that plays offline... This patch helped a lot.

Thank You!

# 72 GSW @ 02/23/09 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
Redshirt,

It was great that you guys did the first patch, but it also made scoring for me very hard to do. It turned me off from the game. Even sliders didn't really help things.

After getting the patch 2 nights ago, I'm able to score again from all sorts of places! I'm taking THE SAME shots I did before, but a realistic amount of them are falling in now. The game is FUN again, but also the scoring isn't overdone either. It's pretty damn good now!

Thank You!
im going to re-buy this tonight... i cant mess with nba 2k or live anymore too frustrating.

# 73 Crown42Royal @ 02/24/09 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
Redshirt,

Thank You!
I guess I'm the opposite on the scoring. I haven't scored a goal in 7 games and I've never gone 3 games without scoring. I've had maybe 3 clear shot in those 7 games as the defense is just suffocating. I even turned on automatic aiming in my last game just to see if it would help; it made it worse I think.

I enjoy the fact that the players seem more random and not pre-determined in their movement and placement but not being able to score is pissing me off. Also, I've averaged 2-3 penalties in those 7 games and even 4 in my last game. It's like I can't touch someone without being called for elbowing or boarding or something. Again, frustrating.

I'm not a cheeser one bit but at this point I almost wish I had some kind of money play just so I could score. I've played over 200 games in BAP and for the first time I'm not enjoying it.

# 74 Ktulu @ 02/24/09 04:12 PM
The game plays way way better post patch. Has anyone noticed an increase in franchise injuries? I'm only a month and a half into a new season, but I still have not had anyone on my team injured.

Only disappointment is that manual line changes weren't addressed. You still can't see who the CPU is putting out and the home team doesn't get last change... so you can't match lines properly. The most important strategy in the NHL is still missing from this game.

# 75 jsquigg @ 02/24/09 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown42Royal
I guess I'm the opposite on the scoring. I haven't scored a goal in 7 games and I've never gone 3 games without scoring. I've had maybe 3 clear shot in those 7 games as the defense is just suffocating. I even turned on automatic aiming in my last game just to see if it would help; it made it worse I think.

I enjoy the fact that the players seem more random and not pre-determined in their movement and placement but not being able to score is pissing me off. Also, I've averaged 2-3 penalties in those 7 games and even 4 in my last game. It's like I can't touch someone without being called for elbowing or boarding or something. Again, frustrating.

I'm not a cheeser one bit but at this point I almost wish I had some kind of money play just so I could score. I've played over 200 games in BAP and for the first time I'm not enjoying it.

I know you said you aren't a cheeser, but maybe it would help if you

a) stopped trying to score on the short side

b) stopped checking any and everyone, or

c) turn the difficulty down.

Just a little advice.

# 76 kornsined @ 02/25/09 01:26 PM
I don't know why but post patch my goalie (Dwayne Roloson) can't save anything. I don't have problems scoring but when I score 4 goals on 30 shots and the opposing team scores 4 on 12 shots it leaves you frustrated. I always control the D-man in front of my net because I know if anyone has the puck in front of the net, 95% of the time they score. So it's not like I'm running around in my end.

It happens on PRO and ALL STAR. Pro on pre patch was easy. Now I feel cheated.

# 77 Qb @ 02/25/09 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornsined
I always control the D-man in front of my net
Are you screening your goalie? 09 recreates screens as well as any hockey game I've played (it still could be better), so if you're camping in front of him, that could account for some of the goals. Watch the goalie to see if he does the 'peek' animation before the shot where they move their head to side to get a better look. If a shot is taken when they're doing this, the chances of it going in are much higher...

# 78 kornsined @ 02/25/09 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Are you screening your goalie? 09 recreates screens as well as any hockey game I've played (it still could be better), so if you're camping in front of him, that could account for some of the goals. Watch the goalie to see if he does the 'peek' animation before the shot where they move their head to side to get a better look. If a shot is taken when they're doing this, the chances of it going in are much higher...
I did notice that so I adjusted by making sure I wasn't directly in front of him.

Funny thing, I played a game with catcatch22's sliders and had a great game. Still close but I was out shot and still came out with a victory. I find it easier to get scoring chances because the CPU AI actually moves around creating openings, were as on Pro they stand still.

I think I benefited with my increased team and goalie AI on defense w/ superstar. My players would attack and not let the CPU just walk in.

Who would of thunk it? Much more satisfying hockey.

Again I do love the variety in scoring now post patch.

# 79 Crown42Royal @ 02/25/09 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I know you said you aren't a cheeser, but maybe it would help if you

a) stopped trying to score on the short side

b) stopped checking any and everyone, or

c) turn the difficulty down.

Just a little advice.
a) who said I did that?

b) checking is part of the game and my position rating every game is A to A+ so I'm not going out of my way to hit people

c) what's the point in that?

Thanks but......

# 80 buffalobills1943 @ 02/25/09 06:07 PM
The point in that is that you are clearly not good enough so you need to either stop complaining about not being good enough to beat the computer or play on an easier difficulty.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.