Home
MLB 2K9 News Post

Here is just a random video from our Major League Baseball 2K9 beta. I'll try to get some of the hit variety in future clips, as I'm just playing around with the video software in this one.

Game: Major League Baseball 2K9Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 38 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Simp @ 02/21/09 05:45 PM
Rogers Centre is looking really good here.

# 42 sirwoodz @ 02/21/09 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I gave you the numbers, and sure it was only a couple of rows back... behind the bullpen. Don't forget the fact that the pitch was low and away out of the zone and he hit it off the end of the bat.

Again, it was the physics of all of it.
- oh i'm sorry...you are complaining about a guy, who AVERAGES 20+ homeruns and 90 RBI's a year hitting a homerun a few rows back "behind the bullpen" and off the end of his bat...thanks for the clarification.

# 43 sirwoodz @ 02/21/09 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kGinGreen
what happened to the pic of kirk gibson sirwoodz? lol. Anyways any time I see anything unreal in this game or in real life baseball i'm blaming it on steroids. That will make it that much more enjoyable for me.
lol..i took it down, I was illustrating my point that homeruns are hit all types of ways in baseball, i've seen power hitters (20 homeruns a year is still a power hitter) hit balls pretty deep to center and opposite field...and like kirk gibson, hit them with one arm on broken legs...its all about bat speed and hitting the sweet spot.

that's how baseball is, love it or leave it.

Markakis is not a slap hitting scrappy lead off guy - he is a power hitter. didn't he hit three home runs in a game in real life!?

a guy who hit three homeruns in a game in his career, popping a low and away fastball deep into the stands is unrealistic? i'll take that sort of "unrealism" any day of the week.

# 44 BigL @ 02/21/09 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginAs12
Can we see a Randy Johnson vs Matt Holliday or Jason Giambi atbat?
why does everybody want to see this? what is the significance?

# 45 Blzer @ 02/21/09 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwoodz
- oh i'm sorry...you are complaining about a guy, who AVERAGES 20+ homeruns and 90 RBI's a year hitting a homerun a few rows back "behind the bullpen" and off the end of his bat...thanks for the clarification.
Like I said once before man, if this were a one-time occurrence, I would let it slide. But this game's history shows that this is not the case, and players don't hit at all like themselves. There's no differentiating throwing this pitch from Ryan Howard to Cesar Izturis, except for the general power attributes. Otherwise everything is all formulated tendencies.

I think you continually seem to forget that this pitch is out of the zone and off the end of the bat. Again, it wouldn't be so bad if this was very rare, but this is actually instead very common.

And RBI's have nothing to do with this matter, neither do home run numbers. There are some guys that put up 30+ that barely poke it out every time (actually, check Aurilia in 2001), and there are some guys that only hit them occasionally, but when they do they blast it (Daryl Ward, Wily Mo Peņa). And again, only four of his home runs last year went that direction... none of which went anywhere near the distance this one went.

It's funny that you're attacking me for being bothered by this one, but for you it seems okay that people were attacking the Ortiz home run. The only reason I found it okay was because it was Ortiz, but I then said that the instant I see someone else doing it, I'll be the first one to point it out.

# 46 Artman22 @ 02/21/09 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwinginAs12
Hahah why did it bother you?
What doesn't bother BLZER

# 47 Blzer @ 02/21/09 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
What doesn't bother BLZER
To be fair, Ortiz's home run didn't bother me when it bothered everyone else.

# 48 sirwoodz @ 02/21/09 06:42 PM
Quote:
Like I said once before man, if this were a one-time occurrence, I would let it slide. But this game's history shows that this is not the case, and players don't hit at all like themselves.
- why are you talking about previous installments of the game though? CLEARLY and quite VISIBLY this is not the same as 2k6, 2k7, or 2k8. and again - a homerun hitter, hitting a ball off the end of the bat for a homerun is not that shocking. well...maybe to people with THE SHOW in their avatar.

Quote:
I think you continually seem to forget that this pitch is out of the zone and off the end of the bat. Again, it wouldn't be so bad if this was very rare, but this is actually instead very common..
- again, why are you acting like nick markakis has juan pierre type power...and this didn't really look like a ball to me, looked like a fastball low and away for a strike...he nailed it over the fence. you are acting like he pulled it down the right field line for a double.

Quote:
and there are some guys that only hit them occasionally, but when they do they blast it (Daryl Ward, Wily Mo Peņa). And again, only four of his home runs last year went that direction... none of which went anywhere near the distance this one went.
- WHAT!?!? you're talking about video game coding thats about 10 years or more down the line...that's like when I play NBA 2k9 and Ray allen does a reverse jam on 3 guys. can he do that in real life? hell no! but do I expect for developers to put that type of A.I. in a game that tells the CPU "hey, this guy can DUNK but he can't dunk on 3 guys" no, not really. I'm sure that technology is on its way but it isn't here yet.

but basically, now we are critiquing whether or not ONE guy who hits homeruns, hits them THE SAME DISTANCE as another homerun hitter!?

some of these critisisms are just getting down right cartoonish.

# 49 SoxFan01605 @ 02/21/09 06:55 PM
I understand the concern about the HR because until we play the game, all we have to go by is history and that's not too promising in this regard...lol. It's perfectly plausible, given the game code, while tweaked, has not been changed at it's base (from what the developers have said...I claim no personal knowledge of such things...lol).

Obviously, it's a different developer so the chance is there that it's changed. I don't personally have a problem with it being possible to happen as long as it's not like it was in previous installments. We'll see for sure soon enough.

EDIT: To add, I'm actually on the opposite side of this concern/curiousity (whatever you want to call it) than Blzer, for example. I was more bugged by the Ortiz's shot (based on the previous problems in the series) than Markakis. At least he sort of went with the pitch. Ortiz mostly pulled the outside and low pitch. To each his own though.

# 50 Keirik @ 02/21/09 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Guru~
no need to troll....bat sound dont make a game arcadish....you just seem to want to entice a war between this and the show....eventhough you were careful not to mention the show....we know where you are going...so please keep bashing to yourself and talk about the game or dont
oh quit it. He wasn't trolling and stop acting as if you're the spokesperson for the game. He was talking about his opinions on THE GAME and nothing more.

See, that's the point of posting videos, to get opinions on what he/she saw and felt from that video. At no point was any comparison made towards any other game.

Relax.

# 51 CarryTheWeight @ 02/21/09 08:54 PM
It seems that the video boards in the Rogers Centre outfield walls aren't working...anyone else notice this? I remember seeing screenshots of the Dodgers Stadium outfield wall LED's working, so it's kinda weird Rogers doesn't have them working.

# 52 Knight165 @ 02/21/09 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
It seems that the video boards in the Rogers Centre outfield walls aren't working...anyone else notice this? I remember seeing screenshots of the Dodgers Stadium outfield wall LED's working, so it's kinda weird Rogers doesn't have them working.
Maybe it needs to be a franchise game?

M.K.
Knight165

# 53 ShowTyme15 @ 02/21/09 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I believe the scoreboard don't work this year. At least that is what one of them said. I think.
One of the producers said out of town scoreboards don't work. Also he said something about they show player stats instead of scores.

# 54 RGmoney @ 02/21/09 11:02 PM
Quote:
I believe the scoreboard don't work this year. At least that is what one of them said. I think.
Dev Q&A: http://www.2ksports.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206422

Quote:
Q: my question is will the scoreboards in the stadiums be updated
through the game
A: The out of town scoreboards do not update, unfortunately. We do have some player information up at times. Live scoreboards is something we all have wanted for a long time but it is really difficult to do. Keep your fingers crossed.

# 55 Jamin23 @ 02/21/09 11:47 PM
Quote:
That is where I heard it. I think the scoreboard for the game going on doesn't either. It seems like they just have the player pic. I could be wrong.
ya the out of town score boards look odd with no scores on them. They could have at least put random scores on them instead of being blank

# 56 cycoviZion @ 02/22/09 01:00 AM
Nice.. Could you do a video of a home game for the Orioles?

# 57 Blzer @ 02/22/09 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgoi

That doesn't look CLOSE to a strike. It's WAY outside and tailing. End of the bat . . . NO ONE hits that over the left field wall, let alone over the bullpen.
Thanks for backing me up on this one bro. I was out for the night, and didn't want to make this one a text battle where I started running away with paragraphs.

Basically, this is and has been an issue in the game. I'm just addressing that the Papi thing probably wasn't attributed to him being Papi, and was more so attributed to the game being the game that it is and has been.

# 58 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/22/09 03:52 AM
Quote:
Thanks for backing me up on this one bro. I was out for the night, and didn't want to make this one a text battle where I started running away with paragraphs.

Basically, this is and has been an issue in the game. I'm just addressing that the Papi thing probably wasn't attributed to him being Papi, and was more so attributed to the game being the game that it is and has been.
Agreed.

And this was my concern that I seen in other videos, and was never talked about by the developers.

# 59 DaveDQ @ 02/22/09 06:47 AM
The entire hit looks odd. Not the ability to hit the ball like that, the actual frames look weird. Something is missing.

# 60 DaveDQ @ 02/22/09 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Dave, I honestly think it's the IE kicking in. The problem I have with IE, is it creates artificial hits like this one. The players' IE vitals indicate he has to hit X number of HR's, or go opposite field X number of times. So instead of seeing real contact and real ball physics, the game manufactures the hit accordingly. Which is why it looks odd when it happens, and why it looks like frames are missing. Because those frames are missing. That hit never would have happened otherwise.
That could be major. I don't think that's the case though. If it were, how would you explain adjusting your hit with the left stick? IE would override everything, and I think that'd be a mess. If you adjust the location of that bat and ball on that hit, everything is settled for me. It's very possible that the hit gets lost in translation because of the video conversion.

I think what's wrong with that hit, more than anything, is the missing frame(s).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.