Home
News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB 09 The Show blog. This one covers Online Season Leagues and Improvements.

Quote:
"The draft system rivals that of any fantasy sports system. It allows from 6-30 players to hold a FULL LIVE Draft, with the ability to set your draft day/time, pick timer/length, chat (and harass), view the Player Card/stats of available players, view the Player Card stats of other users in your league drafting. Another integral part of the draft system is the ability to set you draft queue. No matter how much planning you do, there’s always a chance you can’t physically be at your draft, or you may not be able to stay for the entire draft."

Game: MLB '09: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS2 / PS3 / PSPVotes for game: 90 - View All
MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Senor_Herbatron @ 02/23/09 10:14 PM
Doesn't sound very promising.

They added/fixed a few things but the real problem last year was the lag. It also says nothing about camera angles online.

I really hope this year isn't another dud for online play

# 22 Russell_SCEA @ 02/23/09 10:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
I see no confirmation of camera angles..

And we'll see come release day...Not trusting anything lag wise right now(unfortunately)
Camera angles didn't make it there where cut towards the end technical difficulties

# 23 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/23/09 10:34 PM
I see jersey selection

But...

I see no mention of custom camera angles per player

*please be there*

# 24 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/23/09 10:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Camera angles didn't make it there where cut towards the end technical difficulties

# 25 Russell_SCEA @ 02/23/09 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
To be honest, it will be a few weeks before we find out if online is working right. We have to wait for everyone to get the game, and everyone to hammer the Sony servers playing this game. This is something that I bet the devs are more nervous about than anything else as they have to wait until it's released to the public to find out if their online "fixes" worked. You can't test for this pre-release. Hopefully it works. I never play online as I'm not an online type of person, but if it works, great. If it doesn't, it's not going to affect me.

Bingo it will be better than last year but after that can't really say much, I'm crossing my fingers like everyone else. However framerate problems of the past won't be an issue. The jumping pitch meter is gone. There are also plenty of other features and tweaks to online but that's another blog post.

If online is bad this year I'll be pissed as well I only play online and RTTS.

# 26 Randiesel75 @ 02/23/09 10:41 PM
Russell,

As far a creating online leagues, will there be an additional setting this year to enforce 3/4/5-man pitch rotations or will this fall to the honor system as in previous years?

# 27 Russell_SCEA @ 02/23/09 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanDiesel
Russell,

As far a creating online leagues, will there be an additional setting this year to enforce 3/4/5-man pitch rotations or will this fall to the honor system as in previous years?

Not really its all on the commissioner right now to enforce the rules that he sets up. This is defiantly at the top of Jason's list for online leagues next year.

# 28 Knight165 @ 02/23/09 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
Make sure its jolly rancher pacifier I really like those, apple or cherry is my preference.

Now you see...the kind of comeback I can appreciate!

M.K.
Knight165

# 29 Randiesel75 @ 02/23/09 10:53 PM
Quote:
Well their is a way to get around those funky issues, its called a beta online phase I've participated in numerous Killzone 2, Resistance, and Little Big Planet. If you have a known issue such as online play unplayable and the only way to make sure its at least average get some redeem codes out to people so they can play and give you some feedback. It worked well with resistance and killzone 2. Then you can be a little more definitive in your answer with some real world evidence.
An accurate load on the servers could never be matched with beta testing to replicate the sheer volume the game sees when released, specifically during peak times (bursts). The beta tests you speak of do serve a purpose, however, not for the issues the game had faced in past online releases.

# 30 Russell_SCEA @ 02/23/09 10:54 PM
Quote:
Well their is a way to get around those funky issues, its called a beta online phase I've participated in numerous Killzone 2, Resistance, and Little Big Planet. If you have a known issue such as online play unplayable and the only way to make sure its at least average get some redeem codes out to people so they can play and give you some feedback. It worked well with resistance and killzone 2. Then you can be a little more definitive in your answer with some real world evidence.

I was in the Warhawk beta and used my ps3 as a server all the time. I just don't get the wait and see attitude.

Question?????

When was the last time you say a beta for a sports game?

# 31 Randiesel75 @ 02/23/09 10:57 PM
Quote:
Not really its all on the commissioner right now to enforce the rules that he sets up. This is defiantly at the top of Jason's list for online leagues next year.
I am the Commissioner and last years settings were:
3-game series with 3-man pitch rotation. It made sense since it was easy to track that way.

However, now with the addtion of Flex Scheduling, I can see that trying to remember which SP was used for 1 series while your dipping into another series can be confusing.

# 32 Russell_SCEA @ 02/23/09 11:08 PM
Quote:
I can't bear witness to any, and if their hasn't been any doesn't mean it can't be done. I know it may be a logistical nightmare but it would garner some consumer confidence instead of the year in year out "lets us pray".

And to the gentlemen who said it can't replicate the sure volume of people who will be playing outside the a beta thats true, but you can control the environment get empircal evidence about what it can and can not handle.
If only it where that easy Socom Confrontation had a private beta and a public beta and you see how it turned out in the beginning. Beta's are far from an exact science.

Online will be better than last year how much so I don't know and there isn't anyone in this building who has an answer better than that at this time.

Take if for what you will.

# 33 Senor_Herbatron @ 02/23/09 11:11 PM
Russell, I challenge you to a game when this drops. You down?

# 34 dmbfan1970 @ 02/23/09 11:11 PM
Quote:
Online will be better than last year how much so I don't know and there isn't anyone in this building who has an answer better than that at this time.
Russell -

Do you know if they worked on the mic for online? Like perhaps change the way you activate the mic? L3 is just a bad location as the mic gets turned on/off all the time by hitting it.

# 35 Randiesel75 @ 02/23/09 11:15 PM
Quote:
If only it where that easy Socom Confrontation had a private beta and a public beta and you see how it turned out in the beginning. Beta's are far from an exact science.

As a network engineer for BT, I concur. I know all to well the dangers when a client expects the same performance based on beta results and/or manufacturer specs only to learn how the network truly behaves when faced with true load.

# 36 Blood2086 @ 02/23/09 11:23 PM
Ok I just wanna clarify what this means. Does it mean that if I say run a 12 team league each owner can do a live fantasy draft from all the MLB players from all the teams?

# 37 EnigmaNemesis @ 02/23/09 11:34 PM
I am not going to lie. Aside from progressive lightning... different camera angles for online, to make it a true experience like offline, was my biggest wish.

That aside, the framerate problems addressed, as well as the league goodness is exciting.

You cut me SCEA, you cut me deep! But I'll live.

# 38 aukevin @ 02/23/09 11:41 PM
So since it wasn't mentioned, does a commish in a league still not have the power to replace a league member when someone drops out of the league? Leagues can really die when its members quit and can't be replaced.

# 39 thaSLAB @ 02/23/09 11:49 PM
Quote:
the blog should have been very simple a video of these guys playing online santa monica studios vs san diego. To show us this ish works online, features don't mean nothing when you can't play so it deserve all the hate it gets. I don't want to read about online play from these guys 2 years in a row its been virtually unplayable its just words on a box/blog at this point.
And that wouldn't be a true representation of online stability - 2, 5, or 15 guys on the server (in close proximity no doubt) will not load it like if there are 1000s across the country playing each other. Then your complaint would be "their video of them online was so much smoother than what I am seeing, what a farce!" LOL, or something along those lines.

# 40 Randiesel75 @ 02/23/09 11:53 PM
Russell, another question...

Access to Quick menu (up on D-pad) =
With this addition, does this not take time off the 5-minute counter as does when you hit Start to enter the Full Menu?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.