Home
NBA Live 10 News Post

The NBA Live 10 lead producer promises big changes are in store for the classic hoops franchise.

Quote:
"A large amount of the responsibility for rebuilding that foundation has fallen on new lead gameplay designer Mike Wang, who came over from 2K Sports after working on the NBA 2K franchise from 2005-2007. Wang is a devoted basketball enthusiast and he's excited to bring his years of expertise to the NBA Live team and take on the challenge of restoring the franchise to its former glory.

"I continually struggle with wanting to replicate a lot of the mechanics of 2K here, and what I've found out was that I made a lot of mistakes over at 2K and I'm glad that I made them there because it gave me a chance to see what was right and what was wrong and what resonated with fans and what didn't," Wang said. "It's not really copying 2K or that I want to copy that style of gameplay, but there are certain things that 2K does right from a basketball perspective that Live still struggles with. So, for me, it's a matter of looking at the NBA game and watching real live footage and playing our game to see what's missing and fix it. We're already well on our way and the game is playing very well, and it's going to be great by the time we're finished with it."

Link: IGN

Game: NBA Live 10Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PSP / Xbox 360Votes for game: 48 - View All
NBA Live 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 savoie2006 @ 02/24/09 07:14 PM
Sounds promising. I'm really impressed with EA lately. They defeintely seem like they are on the right track with their sports titles.

# 2 videobastard @ 02/24/09 07:49 PM
Good read. Im looking forward to live 10.

# 3 jfsolo @ 02/24/09 07:53 PM
What's great is that Sean and Mike are very tough on their product. In the past it seemed like so many developers were clueless or indifferent about the fundamental gameplay/A.I. flaws in their game.

These guys are probably more critical of their game then 99% of their customer base. A lot the OS peeps seem like casual gamers in comparison to these guys. I love that Sean calls Freestyle, "gimmicky"

I wonder if marketing has pictures of Sean and Mike up on the wall that they throw darts at.

Marketing guy: "What the name of this feature?"

Sean: "???,There's no name, its just realistic basketball, that all"

Marketing guy: "..."

In a few months I'd like to see them do what Ian and Donny are doing with Madden, throwing us some bones on the tech front, so that we can watch the product germinate.

# 4 Dame @ 02/24/09 08:06 PM
Sounds interesting lets see what the new team can do

# 5 Shakedowncapo @ 02/25/09 12:14 AM
I would hope they mock 2k9 in FT shooting...Once you get a taste its hard to go back to generic styles. Make the sig style sync up with the meter at the top...And give the ability to turn it off completely.

# 6 gbx34 @ 02/25/09 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
I'm really impressed with EA lately.
Yea, they seem to be taking care of there games.

# 7 thmst30 @ 02/25/09 02:12 AM
Talk is cheap, lets see what they can actually do. The NCAA Basketball team said the same thing about a new direction this year, and that game is unplayable to me. The MLB 2K team said something like this 3 years ago, and that game has not changed THAT much since than. We will see.

# 8 stopper654 @ 02/25/09 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakedowncapo
I would hope they mock 2k9 in FT shooting...Once you get a taste its hard to go back to generic styles. Make the sig style sync up with the meter at the top...And give the ability to turn it off completely.
i agree with you that they should mock 2k9 FT animations because in live 09 when the player dribbles the ball at the FT line and the actually shoot is 2 different animations whereas in 2k9 it is 1 smooth animation from the player dribbling the ball to the shot

# 9 goheat @ 02/25/09 08:41 AM
Let's see if they actually make a Wii version that is playable and realistic...

# 10 johnny4LSU @ 02/25/09 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
I like how he says he is watching live game footage to see what they are missing...I hope he realizes they have a lot of fixing to do! Ball physics, player animations, net physics...yada yada yada....

i agree totally if they change the NET physics that would be awesome. thats one thing i'd def. like to see

# 11 GHUGHES @ 02/25/09 10:57 AM
Live is going in the right direction I just hope they don' tear down everything and make this unplayable. Like 2 K

# 12 Behindshadows @ 02/25/09 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goheat
Let's see if they actually make a Wii version that is playable and realistic...
nothing will ever be realistic on the Wii...it's a kid system...

stick with this..

# 13 Vince @ 02/25/09 11:13 AM
I thought 09's team was a new team???

The game is good already. Don't make any drastic changes. I'm having more fun playing NBA Live 09 than I ever had playing a 2k game.

# 14 Behindshadows @ 02/25/09 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I thought 09's team was a new team???

The game is good already. Don't make any drastic changes. I'm having more fun playing NBA Live 09 than I ever had playing a 2k game.
They are the new team that worked on 09, but a lot of the guys came in late on the project, so couldn't do a lot with the game due to time restraints. So now they have a full year to work on it together at the same time. And hopefully can come up with a more complete project.

And I agree Live 09 is good and I hope the changes that are drastically changed are in a good way, not a bad way.

# 15 iminurbase @ 02/25/09 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnnyjohnsonx
i agree totally if they change the NET physics that would be awesome. thats one thing i'd def. like to see
This was one of the first things worked on in 10.

# 16 Pared @ 02/25/09 01:48 PM
Great read. Much better than the ESPN interview.

# 17 DaWolf @ 02/25/09 01:49 PM
So you already fixed it?

In 2K the net physics are great but the rim feels really akward. You know the feeling when youre playing on a real court and the rim just sounds ugly when you miss^^ Hard to explain.

# 18 AlexBrady @ 02/25/09 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iminurbase
This was one of the first things worked on in 10.
To what extent?

# 19 Shinyhubcaps @ 02/25/09 10:14 PM
I've heard all this before, but at least they admit that there were some bad things in previous games.

Let's see if they can improve the control of the players (no skating, but responsive to subtle control movements), maybe make the passes crisper, and change some of the other little things... it might be playable, which will be quite novel for them.

On a personal note, I absolutely hate how they list the player names on the crawl. At least add something else so one player's name isn't up there for scoreless stretches.

# 20 bateman11 @ 02/26/09 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinyhubcaps
I've heard all this before, but at least they admit that there were some bad things in previous games.

Let's see if they can improve the control of the players (no skating, but responsive to subtle control movements), maybe make the passes crisper, and change some of the other little things... it might be playable, which will be quite novel for them.

On a personal note, I absolutely hate how they list the player names on the crawl. At least add something else so one player's name isn't up there for scoreless stretches.
Live 09 was playable.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.