Home
Legends Of Wrestlemania News Post

WWE(R) Legends of WrestleMania(R) Playable Demo Now Available for Download via Xbox LIVE(R) Marketplace and PlayStation(R)Network

New World Wrestling Entertainment(R) Videogame Property Offers Consumers Game Sample Prior to March Launch

AGOURA HILLS, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Mar. 5, 2009-- THQ Inc. (NASDAQ:THQI) and JAKKS Pacific, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAKK) today announced the WWE® Legends of WrestleMania® playable demo is now available for free download via Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, as well as PlayStation®Network for the PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system. The playable demo will allow players to participate in an exhibition match with Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, and Bobby “the Brain” Heenan using the WrestleMania III arena. Players can also watch a highlight reel of Stone Cold Steve Austin and The Rock from WrestleMania XV before completing in-ring objectives to faithfully relive their historic match. WWE Legends of WrestleMania is scheduled for release on March 24, 2009 for Xbox 360 and PLAYSTATION 3 system.

“Our playable demo for WWE Legends of WrestleMania will allow consumers to embrace the game’s unique look and feel in several ways prior to our scheduled launch on March 24,” said Scott Guthrie, executive vice president, publishing, THQ. “We look forward to seeing how our fans will relive, rewrite, and redefine WWE history with this brand new videogame experience.”
“As we approach launch, we are pleased to offer a free downloadable demo for WWE Legends of WrestleMania,” said Nelo Lucich, senior vice president of interactive, JAKKS Pacific. “The game’s incredible roster and key features are certain to attract a wide audience.”

WWE Legends Of Wrestlemania screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: WWE Legends Of WrestlemaniaReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
WWE Legends Of Wrestlemania Videos
Member Comments
# 41 babythug23 @ 03/06/09 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. JDM
i dont get it...i downloaded the PS3 demo from the UK site & when i click to play it, it says it cant play on my video output settings! i dont have HD(i know, i know...this spring i will), & am using the red/white/yellow cables, so does this only work in high-def? thats the only thing i can think of because i tried adjusting the video output settings & i still get the same msg. plus, all my other games are working fine
Yea on most or all UK demos you have to have a HD tv. Don't know why though

# 42 DJ @ 03/07/09 12:36 AM
I'm really enjoying the demo.

Has a Force Unleashed aspect to it with the chained button presses, which I think is pretty cool.

Graphics are well done and crowd reactions are good.

I like the gameplay; only thing that annoys me a little is seeing Andre sprint around the ring, Hogan doing Russian Leg Sweeps and the like but all in all, I think the gameplay is better than SvR.

Not sure if I'd pay 60 bucks for it, but it's a game I will get at some point.

# 43 CarryTheWeight @ 03/07/09 09:26 AM
I don't know if this was THQ's intention, but I feel like I'm watching this game instead of playing it. With that being said, I'm loving the chain move cutscenes...except for the ones that literally warp you into a new move.

The control scheme was a bit jarring at first, but in a couple matches, I was able to get everything down. I'm really surprised the right analog stick is useless, though (except for some sort of targeting system).

# 44 The 24th Letter @ 03/07/09 11:14 AM
They are on to something w\ these real time button responses....I dont think the way they do it is perfect....but it definitely belongs in future wrestling games...

its gives the game a realistic feel

# 45 noshun @ 03/07/09 04:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sausage
I have to say this just became a day one purchase for me. I love the control scheme and the chain combos are great.

The pace of the gameplay is nice. I know it is early but the grapple mechanic is similar to "No Mercy", but not as deep. There are combinations of weak and strong grapples, as well as strikes.

A few maybe concerned about the chain combo button, but it does not block your view nor get in the way of gameplay.

Will add more later. So far so good.
Same here, Im crying with Joy!

# 46 kbshowtime @ 03/07/09 06:16 PM
The game is great Im buying this the first week for sure. Im so hyped about playing with the old guys like Jake the Snake, JYD, and Honky Tonk Man

# 47 TJdaSportsGuy @ 03/07/09 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
four weak and Two strong... Two. I'll pass
Oh well...all games can't be as good as the TNA game.

# 48 CM Hooe @ 03/08/09 01:51 PM
The chain wrestling in this game is a very welcome addition. Not sure if it make sense in all the spots it's used though, particularly the finishers; with Stone Cold, I go from the Lou Thesz press to the bionic elbow, which makes sense, but then immediately into the Stunner? It looked odd, but was fun to do.

The managers are fun too... I was playing my brother as Andre (he was Hogan) with Heenan in my corner, and he would have beaten me had Heenan not put my foot on the rope.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed with this demo. It's a different game than SvR but still a fun one.

# 49 vernond @ 03/08/09 02:18 PM
Anyone know what the adressess are like in the UK? Trying to create a UK account for ps3. Are they basically the same as in the states? Like

1234 Mockingbird Lane
Anytown, State Zip

# 50 DXZeke @ 03/08/09 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
four weak and Two strong... Two. I'll pass
But those 2 Strong Grapple moves change based upon the Charge Level that your wrestler is at.

Austin at a Charge 1 was only doing a body slam and a strong punch.
Austin at Charge 2 was a suplex and something else.
Austin at Charge 3 was a Lou Thez Press.

So there is variety, but you can't do all of it from the start. They tried to give this a real TV feel too it in that case since Austin doesn't hit the Thez Press at the start of a match.

# 51 DXZeke @ 03/08/09 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
Oh well...all games can't be as good as the TNA game.
I found this funny!

# 52 Ian_Cummings @ 03/08/09 08:48 PM
My humble opinion...I would rate the demo about a 40/100. That sounds harsh but I honestly could not get into this game at all...just way too many flaws for me. To be clear, I'm not a wrestling enthusiast at all...don't watch it or anything...but I really LOVED wrestling games...for the longest time.

Quick thoughts...

- Really didn't like the exaggerated models (Hulk in particular)...his arms look triple the size from real life, and he looks odd to me with this super skinny waist. Also, their backs seemed abnormally bent throughout the match...very noticeable as they stand up next to each other. Example:

Not a fan.

- I felt like I was basically in zero control...moving around the ring felt really sluggish...I couldn't easily start to run or bounce into the ropes or anything like that (like the old games were). When I left the ring I couldn't run around or outside of the normal area either. When I tried to grab a chair, CPU guy warped out of the ring and into a QTE cut-scene
- There was no real grappling...just keep mashing A and eventually I'd trigger a lame cut scene
- The QTE mechanics were interesting but I'd much rather actually play the game. It was so blatantly obvious that at most of the branch points it wasn't even branching to the correct move. I also never seemed to get any feedback on whether I succeeded or failed at the QTE...the button animation was the same either way
- Way too many meters, and tons of extra art on the screen...do I really need to see the CPU's button mash buttons? I thought I was supposed to be doing something when they came up. Speaking of which, the 'tips' that came up were horrendous...they were like 20 sentences long explaining the most complex moves and they came up every 2 seconds. I just want to know a few things if I'm just picking this game up...
- How do I punch a dude?
- How do I kick a dude?
- How do I slam a dude?
- How do I sling a guy into the ropes?
- Commentary IMO was absolutely terrible (as usual with this series). I mean really they can't get them to not repeat the same lines in a match? And all that crew can do is one-sentence lines?

I was honestly quite surprised to see that people were enjoying this...honestly I thought it was one of the worst wrestling games I'd played (though I haven't extensively played any of the 360 versions I did play the PS2 ones a ton)...but to each his own I guess.

# 53 Brian Gee @ 03/08/09 09:19 PM
That's where I stand too, Ian. Though I'm a pretty big wrestling fan and was looking forward to this game a lot, there seems to be a lot that I would change. Too bad, because the roster alone makes me want it...

The character models don't bother me as much as the gameplay does. I'd rather they had gone with the SVR 09 control system.

# 54 Jono078 @ 03/08/09 09:40 PM
I agree with Ian, it really is shocking, Yukes is going backwards and it's hard to see how and why.

IMO the best wrestling game was Here Comes The Pain, great in every aspect.

But anyway, on to LOW, here is my post I made a few days ago on another forum.

Quote:
I didn't like it at all, I won't even consider buying it.

I actually like the setup of it with how it shows you a preview of the historic Wrestlemania match-up before you actually get into the match.

But the controls are shocking and you feel like a puppet where as it's telling you what to do and how to play the match.

Like the set up of the game, but the controls to play the game are shocking.

I personally think this is definitely targeting the younger audience who like wrestling and have a simple game, as in it tells you what to do almost always throughout the match.

# 55 CM Hooe @ 03/08/09 09:48 PM
Though I did come away with a positive impression of the game, I can understand the gripes that Ian voiced about it.

In particular, with regards to the wrestler models, I think Yukes' art direction wanted to convey a 'larger-than-life' feel for the legends, and thinking about it I think the wrestler models for all the next-gen games have been exaggerated like this.

# 56 Cusefan @ 03/08/09 10:02 PM
I didnt play this demo but it does make me nervous that the UFC game is going to suck...

# 57 DakkoN @ 03/08/09 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
I was honestly quite surprised to see that people were enjoying this...honestly I thought it was one of the worst wrestling games I'd played
This is pretty much exactly what I thought. This game is right on par with Legends of Wrestling for crappy wrestling games. I couldn't believe how many people were saying it was good. I love wrestling games and have played pretty much all of them and this one is definitely one of the worst. I'd almost rather play Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game....almost.

# 58 DJ @ 03/08/09 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
In particular, with regards to the wrestler models, I think Yukes' art direction wanted to convey a 'larger-than-life' feel for the legends, and thinking about it I think the wrestler models for all the next-gen games have been exaggerated like this.
Yep, this is why the player models are exaggerated.

Sure the game isn't perfect (I agree about the outside-the-ring stuff) but the nostalgia feel is great and I thought the gameplay actually added some variety to what had become a very stagnant game engine in the SvR series.

# 59 lasthour @ 03/08/09 11:07 PM
Are you guys serious? So spamming on buttons and running around the ring are overshadowed by a more methodological approach and wrestler models.

Am I missing something here? I like games like SF4, old TECMO BOWLs, APF where the games are a little over the top, but fun as can be. So would this game fall anywhere near this idea? Maybe people are people saying this because the game is new and people are trying to figure it out.

# 60 EUBlink @ 03/08/09 11:42 PM
I really enjoyed this demo. It's a welcomed change from the we're trying so hard it hurts approach of other wrestling games on the market. And it's kept simplistic enough, that even the casual gamer/wrestling fan can enjoy it.

Also, the experience is consistently that of nostalgia, without a doubt.

After several minutes of struggling, I had Andre down for the count, but Heenan reached through and propped his leg up on the rope, shattering my hopes for the moment. I pulled Heenah over, and proceeded to take my vengeance out. In a classic wrestling instance, though, I turn, only to face the wrath of Andre. And yet the match ends up in my favor, very dramatically. I just love this...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.