Home
NCAA Football 10 News Post

EA Sports just posted another NCAA Football 10 blog. This one covers gameplay camera presentation.

Quote:
"This year we were able to convert our gameplay cameras to a new system that can be tuned by the designers on the team while playing the game. The benefit to this is we now have the ability to prototype new camera angles quickly and see how we can make your view of the game even better and more dynamic.

One aspect of the new tech is the camera’s ability to frame all of your receiver options on-screen as much as possible. What we do is have the camera behave like a turret on your head and as you and the receivers move on the field the camera will focus at a calculated point on the field (called a proxy target) that will give you the best vantage point. We are able to add weights on the calculation that can force the camera to pay more attention to the QB’s location, the receivers, or even the player going out for the screen pass. In addition, we can lock this point to be a set distance from the line of scrimmage so that its location keeps a steady position instead of flying up, down, and all over the field as your receivers move in real time."

NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Football 10 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Football 10Reader Score: 6.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 61 - View All
NCAA Football 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 thudias @ 03/19/09 11:33 AM
There are a couple of great screenshots on the EA blog page that really show how the camera angles open up the field..I love it.

# 2 Hey_Rebby @ 03/19/09 11:40 AM
I like the icons disappears after you drop back 20 yards.

# 3 jdrhammer @ 03/19/09 11:40 AM
Off-topic, but I hope we have the ability to change socks/shoe colors since UF is wearing black. That would be sweet.

The camera angles look great and should be a huge help. What's the secret at the end?

# 4 RGiles36 @ 03/19/09 11:44 AM
Probably something you have to play with (game-in-hand I mean) to appreciate.

Two things alarm me slightly from the screenshots:

1) The battle in the trenches looks like the same ol', same ol'. I'm probably implying too much from just a couple of WIP screens, but I don't see anything that says there will be improved OL/DL interactions.

2) Say what you like, but I'm really thinking that refs will not be present this year again. Unless they're going to be touted as some feature, I don't foresee them being in the game this year.

# 5 thudias @ 03/19/09 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36

1) The battle in the trenches looks like the same ol', same ol'. I'm probably implying too much from just a couple of WIP screens, but I don't see anything that says there will be improved OL/DL interactions.

2) Say what you like, but I'm really thinking that refs will not be present this year again. Unless they're going to be touted as some feature, I don't foresee them being in the game this year.
Agree on #2 I don't see any Refs either.

# 6 rhombic21 @ 03/19/09 11:48 AM
It's nice that they make the icons disappear at 20 yards, but it really needs to happen at 15 in order to be effective. 20 yards is too far back.

# 7 TheWatcher @ 03/19/09 11:54 AM
This is nice and dandy, but the hope is that this is not a pacificer for not getting SELECTABLE and CUSTOM cams this year, because that would be ridiculous.

# 8 da ThRONe @ 03/19/09 12:01 PM
Ok news like this make sense and improves playing the game. I very much like this feature.

# 9 Allaboutme @ 03/19/09 12:04 PM
" You’ve probably noticed the passing icons are somewhat transparent in the images. New to NCAA Football 10 is the hiding of the passing icons as you run further from the line of scrimmage. If you are looking to run 20 yards backwards and launch a crazy arcade-like pass, we hope you memorized the routes your receivers are running and their assigned button on the controller. Otherwise, you could end up throwing into double/triple coverage and giving the ball away."

This. lol thank you ea.

# 10 RGiles36 @ 03/19/09 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboutme
" You’ve probably noticed the passing icons are somewhat transparent in the images. New to NCAA Football 10 is the hiding of the passing icons as you run further from the line of scrimmage. If you are looking to run 20 yards backwards and launch a crazy arcade-like pass, we hope you memorized the routes your receivers are running and their assigned button on the controller. Otherwise, you could end up throwing into double/triple coverage and giving the ball away."

This. lol thank you ea.
This is a positive but not something I'm thrilled about. I feel as though this is putting band-aid on the issue. I feel as though the gameplay should be designed to encourage you to stay in the pocket. Making the icons transparent after dropping back so many yards should not be the answer. We shouldn't feel more safe outside the pocket than we should inside. That's been a fundamental issue in EA's football games.

# 11 TheWatcher @ 03/19/09 12:23 PM
Quote:
This is a positive but not something I'm thrilled about. I feel as though this is putting band-aid on the issue. I feel as though the gameplay should be designed to encourage you to stay in the pocket. Making the icons transparent after dropping back so many yards should not be the answer. We shouldn't feel more safe outside the pocket than we should inside. That's been a fundamental issue in EA's football games.
Well said. As a mirror to that, the lack of fundamentals has really thrown me for a loop. I can't believe that in year 4 and 5 for NCAA and Madden respectively, I'm hoping to see the players come to the LOS and lineup smoothly and realistically.

# 12 da ThRONe @ 03/19/09 12:23 PM
Quote:
Thats true with pocket QB's ,but not mobile ones.

I fail to see how they implemented Qb's procedural awareness in those shots. It look just like last year except the view moves.

Stupid me thinking that procedural awareness would actually make this game better.

# 13 Allaboutme @ 03/19/09 12:36 PM
Quote:
Thats true, but we dont know how it works yet. what happens if when you roll out the Icons get dim and it makes throwing while moving actually affect the QB Accuracy this year. then it would be more than a bandaid imo.hopefully it makes running to the sideline and launching it deep no more, kids got away with this so much this year. all they have to do is dial in a post route run to the opposite sideline and bam.

# 14 youALREADYknow @ 03/19/09 12:47 PM
Screen passes and the defense of them still appear broken from the screenshots. Also, some of the defensive assignment and zone logic just looks pathetic and elementary. Then again we don't know what stage this is in... so I'll reserve judgment but judging by the past I'm preparing for disappointment in these areas yet again.

I personally don't like the new camera angles since they appear too drastically angled. A subtle angle shift in either direction from Shot #2 would have been just fine to see each sideline. I don't need to see the entire sideline at any point of a game as are shown in #1 and #3.

What further irritates me is that Greg at EA has said that there will probably be no option to change camera angles or disable the dynamic camera so we're stuck with whatever EA designs.

# 15 da ThRONe @ 03/19/09 12:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
Screen passes and the defense of them still appear broken from the screenshots. Also, some of the defensive assignment and zone logic just looks pathetic and elementary. Then again we don't know what stage this is in... so I'll reserve judgment but judging by the past I'm preparing for disappointment in these areas yet again.

I personally don't like the new camera angles since they appear too drastically angled. A subtle angle shift in either direction from Shot #2 would have been just fine to see each sideline. I don't need to see the entire sideline at any point of a game as are shown in #1 and #3.

What further irritates me is that Greg at EA has said that there will probably be no option to change camera angles or disable the dynamic camera so we're stuck with whatever EA designs.
God knows the last thing you wanna look at is that God awful sidelines!

# 16 roadman @ 03/19/09 12:54 PM
Quote:

Thanks for you suggestion on my sig.

Just an FYI, with Madden last year, this happened when you go back 15 yds. It did work when my son and I played Madden for the first time.

All- Pro settings, and he took the Titans with Young at QB. He thought he could pull off his old magic and run around with Young and just fire the ball. He tried going back and all of a sudden, he yells out, hey what happened to the letters.

I started laughing and I said, they took them out if you go back more than 15 yds. He stomped out of the room and said that's not fair.

It might help more than you think.

# 17 da ThRONe @ 03/19/09 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by da ThRONe
God knows the last thing you wanna look at is that God awful sidelines!
Wait a min the sidelines dont look God awful! LOL

Still not interactive ,but not pukeishly dreadful!

# 18 stoncold32 @ 03/19/09 01:04 PM
Quote:

Especially in that one picture where ALL 4 of the D-linemen are bearing down on the QB. How often does that happen in real life?

Anyway, the camera adjustments are ok. I just hope it's not overdone like Madden where you can't see your guy that well once he get's 20-30 yads up the field.

I hope they move the score overlay down a little more too. THeres about a good half inch it's taking up on the bottom for no reason.

# 19 Allaboutme @ 03/19/09 01:12 PM
Again i said this in another thread, the WIP on the screen shots means work in progress. the screen shots are just showing what the new feature looks like. This is not the final version of the game.

# 20 youALREADYknow @ 03/19/09 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allaboutme
Again i said this in another thread, the WIP on the screen shots means work in progress. the screen shots are just showing what the new feature looks like. This is not the final version of the game.
This is a post from an EA dev last June 6th:

"The cut-off for development on NCAA09 was a few weeks ago. Both Sony and Microsoft have our game at the moment so we can be given the "OK" to release the game in stores."

This means the game has likely passed through QA and final build by early May. I'm assuming that means actual development was finished in April since you have to go to codelock at some point.

It is March now and they are inviting community leaders out to get feedback on the game. How far from the final product do you really think they are?

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.